[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do you guys know about savate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: savate-pics.jpg (148KB, 1835x1313px) Image search: [Google]
savate-pics.jpg
148KB, 1835x1313px
what do you guys know about savate?
>>
It's like Muay Thai but French and therefore for cowards.
>>
>>910846
so, muay thai is for pedo?
>>
Also interested
>>
>>910930
are you french?
>>
Savate is kickboxing with almost non-existent boxing
>>
>>910952
are you sure the kicks are exactly the same?
the footwork seems a bit different aswell
>>
i herd its like the stand up version of parkour
>>
>>910960
Savate is a lot flashier, that's true. I'm from Germany and our fighters in the kickboxing gym I visit fought often against French fighters. They kick a lot and box rarely, even under K1 or Muay Thai rules. Savate is the reason for this.
>>
It was mentioned on Disney's Recess once
>>
>>910952
Nope.
Savate is much more technical, everything passes for kickboxing nowadays.
>>
>>910813
I trained it for about 5 years, the most fun I ever had in training martial arts, very technical, made me a better fighter overall, made me reevaluate my mindset towards fighting sports and martial arts.
>>
>>910969
>I'm from Germany
Are there any martial arts gyms near Kleve? I'm thinking about going to school there.
>>
>>911097
you practiced an other martial art prior to savate or after?

I'm afraid of the difficulty to put strenght in your hits when you train only with touch
>>
>>910813
I know they have shoes, so it'd be interesting to see how their kicks differ.
>>
>>911264
It makes their footwork much faster, they also have kick with the tip of the toes in precise target like solar plexus, the liver or the spleen
>>
>>910813
It's ineffective in terrorist situations?
>>
I have a couple of months next year and speak fluent French. What would be the best city to spend that time and train Savate? I thought about Marseille, but maybe that's wrong.
>>
>>911351
Marseille or around Paris probably
>>
>>911270
Cool.
>>
It's the good kickboxing.
>>
>>910813

Savate was"invented" by french sailors who learned bokator (the Cambodian version of Muay Thai) on their trips. Later is became very popular among doormen in various french cities. It is said than the bouncers in the red light districts had spring knifes hidden in their shoes which they used for stabbing people with their kicks (savate kicks are very much about precision).

Generally the term "Savate" is somehow misleading, because there are different styles that are called savate:
-The traditional Savate which includes stuff like stick fighting (canne de combat) and "old school JuJitsu" grips.
-The modern self defense oriented variant which similar to Krav Maga (for example you preferrably use lowkicks here)
-The Sport Savate

The sport version is like a mixture of Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do. Savate is very unique because you fight with boots. The rank of the practicioner is indicated by the colour of the glove you wear.

Savate has only a small set of kicks and punches (like Muay Thai), but uses precision and complex counter strategies rather (like TKD) than raw power. Think of it like a simpler version of TKD with boxing. You are not allowed to use kicks with the shin or knee strikes.

Savate fighters have a lot of "fighting intelligence" but the practitioners sometimes have problems when fighting against simpler "raw power styles" like MT or Kyokushin. Of course you can do it like Gerard Gordeau and train them as combination (Gordeau is a former World Champion of Savate and was holding the Dutch Champion Kyokushin Karate title for 8 consecutive years). Then you'would be quite a monster.
>>
>>919820
This.
>>
>>920084
Gordeau was a shitty, nasty fighter.
>>
>>920084
>simple TKD with (i'm gonna assume simple) boxing

With respect, this is right. TKD is deeper with kicks, more in depth technique and gameplay, but savate is still eons more technical then the other styles of kickboxing save STX (which has...tkd for kicks. Yeah. Eric Paulson is TKD BB)

I could do savate (assuming boxing is non existant), but i'd get in trouble for a lot of my techniques, which are not in savate but related to their techniques, but more advanced (example, 540 backwheel kick/Jump bwheel), that are against the rules in savate because only certain historical techniques are allowed, like in boxing

That's the biggest problem with it. TKD evolves, like how it developed the ax kick and cut kick and modern TKD clinch game. Savate, by the rules, can't change techniques, and can't use more punching then kicks.

It's very technical, but it's limited. that's the only downside. Do some TKD after savate to see what i mean.

BTW, just saying, i don't know about savate, but honestly, doing 50 TKD RH's is way more tiring then doing 50 MT RH's . If savate is the same way, then they can also out condition kickboxers, because of the higher pace kick based combat they have.

I don't know any savate guys who got into TKD sadly, i bet they'd be good at first before their reliance on punches to the head becomes apparent.
>>
I really enjoy Savate, I've been doing for 4 years now under one of Prof salem Assli's students. I will concede that as a style unto itself there are some things it lacks, but I think it's a great compliment to many other striking styles. Savate wants you to move and change ranges and be elusive. The footwork and balance it requires are useful to most anything else.

>>923816
Savate being stuck is largely a matter of who you're training with and why you're training. In the US Salem Assli is one of the more well known Savate instructors. He's an associate of Dan Inosanto, and keeping with JKD theme has been working to adapt some techniques to MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u00T98o4BTU
>>
>>910846
Hahaha
Hilarious
>>
>>920084
Savate has a large variety of kicks chief.

>>923816
Pretty much all of the kicks used in STX kickboxing can be found in Savate or Muay Thai. I think I've seen him do something specifically from TKD two times.

>>923816
I don't think you understand how to do a Muay Thai Round kick. They are extremely tiring, much more so than snapping round kick. I believe this is due to more of your weight being thrown into the kicks. It takes a lot more to decelerate the kick than the TKD style.

Both styles of kicks are fine, but it depends on how you are using them and what you are hitting with them (also shoes, Savate shoes make them far more effective).

I also really doubt there is a rule about only using "historical kicks". The crescent kick is a somewhat recent introduction to the sport. (Mentioned in one of the videos below)

TKDbrah, unintentionally shit-posting as always.

Also, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=909w4v1HNFA

These are 9 40 minutes+ Savate instructional videos. You can skip the first one I link too as it is all stretching. Techniques start on the next video. Good stuff.
>>
>>924965
>I also really doubt there is a rule about only using "historical kicks". The crescent kick is a somewhat recent introduction to the sport. (Mentioned in one of the videos below)

First off, if they're just getting cressent i should go show them whip kick

Second, that's a legit rule that savate people have talked about here, even. Savate is Savate. Same reason they have the no-excess punching rule.

And no, you throw your whole body into a TKD RH too. You guys are just more clumsy with your kicks. No control.
>>
>>925027
Whip kick seems to be what they had already been using. It was present along with crescent kick.

The Muay Thai round kick is not clumsy. Let me try to re-explain. I'm not sure what it is about TKD people, maybe they have been brainwashed while being molested by their sensi...but they do not accept criticism of their art.

In Muay Thai, the round kick. you kick through with your entire body. The power all comes from the hips. This creates more force which needs to be controlled which in turn is more tiring.

In TKD, your turn your body and the body stops, and you snap. Power is still transferred from the hips rotating to the snap, but the body movement effectively halts where in a MT kick, you keep going. There is less force being generating, although it does have other advantaged depending on the situation.
>>
>>925069
Honestly, if you hit through a paper target with both kicks, the difference is that the TKD kick would stop right after the target (about 12-18% after it) and MT would swing completely though it

The difference being that the quadracept is in the perfect postition during the TKD kick, with all the weight of the body behind it, while in the MT kick you hit with a larger surface in the center of the range of motion, being less advantegeous but more useful in combat where points are given to blocked kicks.

I say it's clumsy because in TKD it's different, but more or less similar, to kick to the body, while in MT they use the instep to kick the head anyway (and do it like bad karate guys),

in TKD i can hit targets the size of a pin with my RH.

Furthermore, you'll notice the TKD RH is faster, both in terms of total completion time (plus recovery) and distance traveled / time (larger flight path covered faster with more acceleration). Unless you argue that the TKD RH is THAT more efficent (it is, but that's another day), you can't deny that more energy is used to move for the TKD kick then the MT kick.
>>
>>925263
In MT you do not use the instep to kick the head, you use the bottom of the shin.

Again, I use both kicking styles and your information is just factually incorrect.

Hitting with the shin over the instep provides a clear advantage in transfer of force. While kick may hit with more surface area (not necessarily, depending on the style of kick and target) than the instep, it is a much more rigid surface than the instep, leading to less loss of energy in the transfer.

Basic physics. It's also super simple to demonstrate by kicking someone in the leg with both styles of kicks.
>>
>>923816
>modern TKD clinch game
I would like to learn more about this.

>doing 50 TKD RH's is way more tiring then doing 50 MT RH's
Why?
>>
>>923816
>modern TKD clinch game.
>>926279
>I would like to learn more about this.
2nded
>>
>>926279
>>926629
Don't listen to TKDbrah. He's a delusional shitposter. He doesn't even shitpost for the love of shitposting. He does it unintentionally.
>>
>>925296
100% this I'm from ITF TKD and even there some guys use instep i use shin for every kick instep is retarded
>>
>>927419
>kick instep is retarded
You get more range.
>>
>>927824
I don't need more range when i can shatter your skull with my shin while avoiding your foot slap instep bullshit. baka senpai
>>
>>928008
you too
>>
LIVE, FRENCHIES
>>
>>910854
close, but its actually for homosex
>>
>>923476
I like Gordeau. He treats fights like actual fights, not a sport. Same reason I like Palhares and Jones.
>>
>>934691
But they're combat sports.
>>
>>934724
I know, and I know they're technically breaking the rules, but it's still enjoyable to watch.
>>
>>934742
>know they're technically breaking the rules
I don't know these fighters, could you give me a summary of how they technically break the rules but, I assume, don't generally get in trouble for it?
>>
https://youtu.be/rPjU_wPG2ZE
>>
File: 8rWSPVW.gif (2MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
8rWSPVW.gif
2MB, 280x210px
>>934691
>>934742
Is that you, Just Bleed Guy? Do you continue to be the worst stereotypes of the MMA fanbase?

>>935931
You assume wrong. Rousimar Palhares has been fired from the UFC and suspended indefinitely from World Series of Fighting for cranking submission holds well past after his opponent has tapped and the ref is trying to pull them off. The vice president of WSoF has outright said the guy has mental issues and will not fight there until he sorts them out.

Gerard Gourdeau got away with that shit because his career was in the very early days where there were no weight classes and shit just wasn't as well-managed as it is nowadays. He actually legit blinded japanese fighter Yuki Nakai in one eye from intentional eye-gouging.

To make the story somewhat more inspirational and steer away from Gordeau, Nakai actually beat him by submission, went on to beat a wrestler and former marine that had a 100 pound weight advantage and managed to fend off Rickson Gracie for six minutes while practically blind from his one good eye being swolen shut. He then went on to hide his blindness for years to protect the reputation of mixed martial arts from the overly sensitive japanese public.

Jon Jones hasn't broken a single rule, he's just more than willing to use techniques that many feel are comparativly dangerous to fighter longevity, such as straight kicks to the legs looking to make the knee bend backwards or when he tore out Glover Teixeira's shoulder out of his socket without giving him a chance to tap, something grappling wizard Shinya Aoki also did by destroying a dude's elbow with a Judo winding armlock.
>>
>>924965
>TKDbrah, unintentionally shit-posting as always.
>Implying he's not a masterful shitposter
>Implying he doesn't perfectly manipulate the "TKD is garbage" mentality
>Implying he doesn't perfectly imitate the "my style is the best" attitude
>>
>>910813
its like kickbox. the only difference is that in savate most fights are won on points or are stopped by the judge with no real reason.
also no real training other than regular boxing is required for it. saw guys destroy savate "fighters" without ever lifting their feet higher than an inch from the ground.
>>
>>937205
Yes, yes, every style but your style is shit.
>>
File: foundation.jpg (195KB, 2190x684px) Image search: [Google]
foundation.jpg
195KB, 2190x684px
Better than Boxing.
>>
>>938901
lel
>>
>>911218
>I'm afraid of the difficulty to put strenght in your hits when you train only with touch

Not him, my background is wrestling and TKD/Full Contact Karate style kickboxing (with leg kicks and some MT thrown in), but most sparring doesn't need to be full power.

What you're building up is the confidence to throw combos, footwork, and range. If you are in range to touch someones forehead/face or body you're in range to strike. The only difference is intent.
>>
>>941471
Oh yeah, want to add, the reason "Sport Krotty" and point stop fighters build up bad habits isn't because they don't make hard contact (TKD makes hard contact most of the time and they still build up a few bad habits), it's because they start to rely on things that work in point stop fighting (or TKD continuous point) that don't work in a real fight.

For example, in "Sporty Krotty" you can do a jumping back fist and score a point, you can throw kicks or strikes and use footwork that puts you in a bad place after you throw it but because you hit you get to reset.

With TKD it's mostly guys keeping their hands down when they're in striking range as a bad habit.
>>
>>925069
>but the body movement effectively halts where in a MT kick, you keep going.

Not him, but the power in kicking, especially the round kick, comes from footwork.

You can throw a MT style round kick that has just as little power as you claim all faster front leg, or "snap", round kicks have.

And you can throw a "snap" round kick with a lot of power. It's all about using footwork to open up your hips.
>>
>>941471
In Thailand, they don't spar hard. They spar very light, in fact. They save the hard stuff for pads/bags. A good pad holder can give a pretty good simulation of a fight.
>>
>>941706
Sometimes you need gutcheck sparring, but for the most part there doesn't need to be very much power behind strikes and kicks, especially to the head.

I'm a fan of even doing just body rounds and going hard as fuck to the body, or going hard to the body easy to the head 90% of the time.
>>
According to a French martial artist I know: Savate is more of an umbrella term. The ring sport you'll hear and see advertised in France as Boxe Francaise. Savate tends to have the connotation of the "original" form of the art which had cane and staff fighting mixed in as well as a little bit of grappling.
>>
>>910813
Basic TKD footwork is running steps. How does savate compare? How well would a savate-and-run strategy mesh with parkour?
>>
It seems pretty cool and I would love to practice it but unfortunately Savate doesn't really exist in the US.
>>
>>948817
Someone else already mentioned this, but Salem Assli is pretty much the only Savate instructor that travels around the US. He's a friend of Dan Inosanto. If you look for Inosanto JKD schools, you'll sometimes find one that offers savate.
>>
>>948817
IIRC there are only three Savate gyms in the US, but there's one not far from me in Florida.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.