[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Newbie BBJ Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Marcelo-Garcia.jpg (37KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
Marcelo-Garcia.jpg
37KB, 599x449px
Hey all, I've been looking into joining a gym and getting into BBJ but I really don't want to fall into the McDojo camp and waste my money on shit. Anyone in the SoCal area recommend any good gyms? Options are either something 10th Planet related or your standard Gracie set up, but I'm not quite sure if they're just franchised or legitimate places to truly learn. Any help would be great, or just general tips to get started and what to do/look for.
Thanks
>>
>>891509
Only dope smokers are allowed at 10th planet.
If you want real Jiu Jitsu, go with GJJ.
>>
>>891509
California is one of the best places for BJJ. Personally I am not a fan of that 10th planet shit, but go with whatever. It shouldn't be hard to find a BJJ gym in california.
>>
>>891509
10th Planet has the best reefer.
>>
You said you don't wanna go McDojo but 10th Planet and most Gracie affiliate gyms will suck you dry of money. I'd say with SoCal you have a lot of choice though, but I'd have no idea.
>>
>>891509
if all else fails go with the cheap one, try it out and quit if it doesnt fit you. Its cheap so you wont lose too much money, then you will have a better idea/.
>>
Well, i guess it would help to narrow down where you are in So Cal? A lot of schools down there, big wide area. A way to judge could be to see how they do in competitions, medal counts. If you want to focus on doing well in comps, thats a good strategy. What do you want to focus on?
>>
>>892083
I want to focus on competitive JJ because I want to become a pro wrestler and represent a deadly art like BJJ in the WWE. That's why I was leaning towards 10th Planet.
>>
>>892089

Well...then you should probably just go do pro wrestling, and not in CA. My knowledge on breaking into wrestling is limited, but signing up at a wrestling school and getting on the indie scene seems to be a pretty typical way to go. Get yourself scouted and maybe the WWE will pull you to development? Also it seems the bigger indie circuits are in the midwest and the south, no CA, so head on out there.
>>
>>891603
10th planet is actually good as fuck.

Over the last few months, I've added about 20 new moves and strategies to my game from 10th planet that work really well.

It's not only Rubber Guard and Lockdown (in fact, none of the new moves I am doing involve either of those).

The 10th planet warm-ups are pretty good too.

>>892089
10th planet really focuses on the NoGi competitive metagame which makes it great if that is your goal.

What city do you live in, I could recommend gym.
>>
>>892083
I love right outside of temecula, Dan Henderson just opened up a gym but I wasn't really keen on MMA type stuff nor the price tag. I wanna do it just to learn a new skill and I need a break from everything else, just to focus on something and pick up something I've been into for years...just never quite got around to doing it. No competing, nothing along that..and I'm not the wrestling guy either but Eddie bravo always seemed like he knew his shit, so I was curious
>>
>>892112
OP here, temecula...murrieta to be specific
>>
>>892116
>temecula
Didn't know that was a thing.

Sorry bro, too far out for me to know anything.
>>
>>892114
oh, then yeah, i've heard good things from 10th planet, i agree with the other poster, he had a wonderful article in Fightland, seems and interesting place. Totally no gi, which is very fun to do.
>>
>>892116
well, Carlson Gracie Jr is out there. He's legit, as far as I've heard. Not sure his pricing but it couldn't hurt to check. Dan Henderson's school is mma geared, yeah, but if the instructor is competent, might be good.

Price point will always be a stickler, bjj schools can be expensive. You may not avoid that depending on the scarcity of schools in your area.
>>
>>892112
>10th planet is actually good as fuck.

I never said it was shit, I said I'm not a fan of it. Go do your nogi alien moves, I'll stick to sport gi jiu jitsu. Name me some 10th planet guys that have won major tournaments using the 10th planet techniques.

>inb4 eddie bravo vs hoyler
>>
>>892147
>10th planet technique

What is a 10th planet technique anon?

None of this stuff is really new. The move that originally differentiated the system, the twister, is an old wrestling move.

What I particularly like is Eddie's armbar system, which is in fact very similar to Shooto's armbar system (if not more condensed).
>>
>>892147
>>892149
Your post made me curious, so I went looking through some IBJJF tournament lists for 2015, Nogi. They don't come up on total medal counts, obviously, but from Worlds NoGI 2015 they got 6 medals, in the blues and purps for men and women, 1 in American National No Gis 2015 in the mens blue, similar in other competitions. No blacks or browns I can find.

They don't field a large competitive team, and I have read in blog posts they seem to do ok in blue/purp in national comps, more so in less prestigious ones. It can be they don't have a big depth of talent, but having read articles by Eddie he isn't a fan of IBJJF anyway and does his own tournaments.

Also, as said, they do have their specialties (rubber guard, the post about the armbar) but it may be a mix of a different focus, pushback against IBJJF, talent pool quality? As OP said he wasn't a big fan of conception, and 10th planet looks very fun to try.

Related: there is a lot of intangibles to picking bjj schools, as folks here will probably agree. How you feel about the place, their medal pedigree, their focus, price, distance, class availability. Luckily a lot of schools offer free trials, some a few days, others a week. I advise to try them all in your range, see how the vibe is.
>>
>>892169
>IBJFF Nogi

Jesus Christ dude, you are completely out of your element. IBJJF is like the antithesis of 10th planet. You might as well go see how they did in Judo tournaments.

To be perfectly frank, no one gives a shit about IBJJF from a NoGi perspective and for good reason.

For fucks sake, a number of mainstay 10th planet moves are illegal in IBJJF.
>>
File: goal.jpg (6KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
goal.jpg
6KB, 220x220px
>>892288

FIRST OFF!!! Yeah, you're right, I spent very little time beyond googling "major bjj tournament results" since
>>892147
asked for some 10th planet guys that have won tournaments using the 10th planet techniques. When I think major tournaments I think IBJJF since IBJJF runs major tournaments.

But, please, you appear to have a knowledge of the elements I'm out of, I'll let you take this one. Got any names from major tournaments? I'd like to get that one down before we move more goalposts.
>>
>>892457
They have a couple good guys. I dont' really follow it too much. There is that one freakshow motherfucker that has done well.

I just find the idea of people trying to say 10th planet is different and prove it works is just nonsense. Most of there stuff is pretty standard nogi (and gi) stuff. No one is asking: "show me that an armbar works at high level competition". Of course it does.

Beyond that, if you actually look what eddie does he has taken a bunch of stuff from Marcelo Garcia and added it to his system. Are you going to ask what his credentials are? Or what about all the moves from Jean Jacques Machado? It's funny because Eddie has his "unique" naming system, but there are really good basic moves with names like "Jean Jacques 1" and Jean Jacques 2". DO you think those work? Of course they do, they are fundamentals.

Do these fundamentals not work at the highest level of competition?

Maybe these people need to cut the bullshit and just ask about the moves that they associate with Eddie which are not his system, but merely a part of it Does Rubber Guard work? Well, not everyone can do it. I can't. Do you think everyone at 10th planet can? Nope. Does that mean 10th planet is bad?

Eddie has done what few people have and mapped out an almost complete system for grappling. To quote Erik Paulson (want to check his credentials?), Eddie "is a genius". Yah, he's weird and can be annoying, but his grappling is great, and it is more than just "1 weird move that will make everyone tap".

I will also add that the next sentence Erik said after calling Eddie a genius was a long tirade about how Eddie talks to much and is a great talker, but doesnt show enough moves at seminars because he talks so much. Ironically, this was at a seminar and Erik does the same thing (Although he still managed to show 1 million moves) and was currently talking instead of showing moves.
>>
I currently live in North California and am looking to learn BJJ.

I live in a shit city that's basically a massive neighborhood a couple of miles away from Sacramento. Near Rio Linda and Antelope.

You guys know of any good schools nearby? I looked around and the landscape is dotted in them. Like Jesus Christ it's oversaturated. I'm willing to drive.
>>
>>892149
>the twister

You and I both know i wasn't referring to the twister.
>>
>>892457
The Martinez brothers are probably the most talented 10the planet fighters. Got their black belts in 3-4 years or so, and have put up the results to justify their speedy promotion. Geo came in 4th last ADCC, having defeated Jeff Glover along the way. Also, check the Eddie Bravo Invitational.

Can't think of any others though, but then again I don't really follow competitive BJJ because it's quite boring usually.
>>
>>892537
Sac guy here, use to live up near roseville. I had popped in and out of a few schools. Cassio Werneck is near you, and he's well known in the area. His black belts, like Gus Enriquez, have gone off to open their own schools in the area. Cassio is good, quality instruction, only reason I did not attend was his fee was out of my price range at the time.

You mentioned willing to drive, so you might check out Yemaso Bjj, Marcos Torregosa's school. He's a fantastic teacher, very kind, and competition focused. Further on Natomas as a Ralph Gracie gym, Manny Gonzales is a solid guy, comes from Ricardo guimaraes. Heard good things from him from a friend at Cesar Gracie's. There are new schools in the area since I've been up there, you could test thoughts but try Cassio, he's a known quantity
>>
>>893076
Thanks homie.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.