[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cardio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

Hey /aso/, Bjj'er here, what do you do for cardio conditioning aside from sparring/rolling? I'm looking to improve my cardio
>>
Run

Find a hill and do hill sprints

Roll more
>>
>>863776
damn i hate cardio but i need to get better cardio to but my knees kill me.
>>
File: 1445733981202.jpg (30KB, 640x469px) Image search: [Google]
1445733981202.jpg
30KB, 640x469px
>>863907
Then don't run, find something else.
You should get a heart rate monitor.
Aerobic conditioning (most important for long term training)
110-130 BPM
130-150 BPM
For 30-45 minutes

I personally like to use a treadmill on a high incline at a fast walking pace. Easier on my knees.

Anything can be used for cardio as long as you keep your heart rate in the correct range for the entire duration.

If you get bored easy, you can make it a little circuit. One thing I used to do at my gym was do: 5 Minutes elliptical->5 minutes on the bag (really have to watch intensity as it is easy to go over)->5 minutes on Hand Bike->repeat

I also like to use Fan Bike just to do upper body only cardio/aerobic work. Keep in mind though that you need to use a lower heart rate for upper body than for lower. Also, you add 5-10 BPM when doing anything where you are sitting.

I've found that my upper body is what fatigues the most, which is why I find the fan bike very important. If you don't have access to a fan bike (they are pretty cheap) or upper body bike, rowing machines are okay but not as good IMO. I have also seen people take a spin bike and flip it upside-down and pedal with their arms.

Erik Paulson recently showed me a alternative for upper body conditioning. It seems so obvious, it is stupid that I never thought of it. You "run in place". Basic, you just stand still while pumping your arms as you would while running. Really exaggerate the motion and make sure to get some elbow motion. Despite having a fan bike in my house, I use these when my hands are too fried to use the fan bike.

Tempo Intervals:
Go at around 70-80% for 10 seconds, then go at a low intensity for 50-60 seconds. Your heart rate should at least drop to 130 BPM between intervals, otherwise you are going to hard. This is to stimulate aerobic adaptations and to help recovery.
>>
File: 1440628310875.jpg (22KB, 700x333px) Image search: [Google]
1440628310875.jpg
22KB, 700x333px
>>863960
continued:

I like to use a fan bike for these. First 15-20 minutes I do the "sprints" with my legs and row with my hands on the breaks. The final 15-20 Minutes, I do the "sprints" with my arms, and use my legs on the breaks.

Close to a competition you can use anaerobic threshold work. I've also heard it refereed to as BANE which sounds cooler, so lets call it that. There are many things online that will tell you how to estimate your heartrate for this and what time you should do.

I would also personally not do full-out sprints regularly (or some kind of equivalent exercise), but save them for periods before competition. They are hard on the body. Also, the adaptations you get from sprinting come on quick, plateau quickly, and don't last long/are hard to maintain. Therefore, it should be obvious that you only need to do them periodically and when peaking for competition.

Again, let me repeat. You really need to spend most of your time on extra conditioning doing AEROBIC work. It is the most important for long term development. Anaerobic adaptations (aside from strength) are far more limited and come on and disappear quicker. Aerobic conditioning allows you to work longer and recover faster.
>>
Outside of martial art specse training like shadow boxing I really like using the eliptical since it is super low impact (bad knees and hips are recovering from a flexor injury).
I also use a lot of circet training.

[sorry about the spelling, device I am using does not have spell check]
>>
>>863776
try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_MnChq-n3k
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.