[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boxing General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 12

Happy New Year, goofs. I join a (real) gym tomorrow. Wish me luck and to git gud.
>>
>not MMA, the current popular superior hand to hand combat sport
>>
>>857625
what are your stats? and how much you paying for a month for it?
>>
>>857629
Eat a cawq. I'll learn MMA later, boxing gives you superior punching/fist technique. Then I'll learn the full stuff...at some point...I'm training judo next actually, but that's wayyy down the road. One thing at a time, obviously.

>>857630
$100 startup and then $45 a month. Don't know if the first month is both charges. That was the price when I went for my free day at least, which was a couple summers ago...

I'm 21, 22 next week. 5'10 and a half, weight fluctuates between 140-170 it seems like. Let's say 160 right now. Standard wingspan for my height. Never joined a gym before, I start my entire boxing career tomorrow. Tips? Should I bring my own gloves? They're not expecting me, I'm just going to show up again, I finally have the money for it.
>>
>>857635
> those stats and dat age
Lol dont even bother
>>
>>857638
>Trying this hard
stay cuk
>>
>>857639
Don't worry I won't listen to that loser. I just wanna git gud and have fun and learn self-defense and the art of boxing, I don't wanna go pro.
>>
>>857635
>I'll learn MMA later, boxing gives you superior punching/fist technique
You won't learn superior punching technique, and especially not fist technique.
You'll develop bad habits, and you don't even learn hammer fists and back fists.

You'll get the same bad habits with judo, along with the fact that you don't wear a gi in MMA.

Not to mention how you won't develop the reflexes of blending martial arts, especially striking arts and grappling arts.

MMA is its own combat sport for a reason, it's not just Grappling n' Striking, it's Mixed Martial Arts.
>>
>>857643
I'll learn MMA after then? There never seemed to be much of a consensus on this before, is there now? I was under the impression it was better to train isolated arts first. I still want to do boxing, besides, I can't find a good MMA place nearby that's as cheap. I also just like boxing.

Also
>Holmes v Rousey
>>
>>857645
MMA after boxing** I just won't worry about judo.
>>
>>857645
1 fight out of how many thousands in the past year alone? that also disprove your point?
>>
>>857647
I don't think it's objectively better to train MMA first.

/asp/, if I'm wrong, please correct me. It just doesn't seem like there's a consensus on it.
>>
>>857648
>It just doesn't seem like there's a consensus on it.
It's because MMA is so new.
Learning MMA is just now starting to be more widely known as superior.

Because of MMA's roots, it was a style-vs-style event.
Eventually, people figured out that just their one style wasn't going to cut it, so they supplemented their style with other styles.

Now, MMA is it's own style, taking the good parts of martial arts, and throwing out the bad parts.

That's why there're these hybrid systems for MMA now.

The hybrid systems still need to be refined, but MMA is making progress.

Eventually, at least I predict, rather than casting out the "bad" parts of arts, people will integrate them into the system when for when they're useful, adding more variety to a fighter's move set, making that fighter less predictable.
>>
File: jpeg.jpg (163KB, 1074x678px) Image search: [Google]
jpeg.jpg
163KB, 1074x678px
>>857645
>I also just like boxing.
Then do Boxing.
Just know that if you want to do MMA, it's best to do MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0

>What worked in one sport must be adapted before it becomes efficient or effective in another.
>>
>>857662
I dont know...It still seems like learning an isolated art is better if you want to focus on one thing. Don't get me wrong, I respect MMA. I want to learn muay thai eventually and judo, both of which I'll do through MMA, but isn't MMA just training different "actual" martial arts on different days? Which makes you blend them? Further, to my admittedly very limited and beginner understanding, MMA doesn't teach "full" boxing/muay thai/whatever. So, you may not get the flaws in each of those, but you also won't get the full power of them individually. Unless your point is that is exactly what is slowly being refined in MMA as we speak. Then that's great. Just seems like a jack of all trades/master of none thing.

Eh. I'll check it out after I learn how to box, I appreciate your input though. I was actually interested in MMA first, got into watching it before it blew up back in like 2007, for what it's worth.
>>
>>857663
>it's best to do MMA
Is this really an honest consensus? I see that kek of a .gif whenever I visit here. MMA is dope, I just didn't know there was a consensus now. It always seemed up for debate when I peeped my head in this board.
>>
>>857667
Also, of course it's better to be able to use your legs/takedowns too. I was just under the impression that your punching would at least be strongest in boxing, which is why I want to train it first. If there is a consensus on THIS, let me know.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (51KB, 860x233px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
51KB, 860x233px
>>857665

>but isn't MMA just training different "actual" martial arts on different days?
Sadly, a lot of places do that because it's the easiest way to make money while technically selling "MMA".

>but you also won't get the full power of them individually.
You do, you get the best of those arts for what's in MMA, given that you've trained enough.
If you train for Boxing, you get good at Boxing.
If you train for MMA, you get good at MMA.

Just seems like a jack of all trades/master of none thing.

http://q-joat.blogspot.com/
>>
>>857669
>I was just under the impression that your punching would at least be strongest in boxing
When you train one thing strong, you leave the other things weak.
Once you build a strong MMA base, your tower won't get knocked over as easily if you decide to add some more of one kind of architecture instead of another.
>>
>>857645
>>Holmes v Rousey
Holly Holm won with a kick.

McGregor won with a punch.

It's kind of funny how the kickboxer beat the guy with a punch, while the boxer beat the girl with a kick.

But it helps show how MMA is really Mixed Martial Arts.
>>
File: UFC 194 - McGregor vs ALDO.webm (2MB, 976x552px) Image search: [Google]
UFC 194 - McGregor vs ALDO.webm
2MB, 976x552px
>>857645
>>857676
>>
What bad habits will I develop training boxing before going to MMA later? Because this is what I intend to do right now.

>>857672
>>857670
Good points, that quote ofttimes is true.
>>
>>857683
The striking portion of MMA is kickboxing, and then some.
Watch the video to learn about some of Boxing's problems when it comes to Kickboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0

And here's an MMA fight with a decent Muay Thai influence, analyze it, you just might learn something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIVD85VfZTs

PS: That low bobbing and weaving makes it easy to get hit in the face, or submitted.
Really, what you bring to the table should be based on what your opponent brings to the table, though.
>>
Anyone have any suggestions for some decent and affordable boxing shoes?
>>
File: 0154 - oiHhR9f.jpg (43KB, 473x500px) Image search: [Google]
0154 - oiHhR9f.jpg
43KB, 473x500px
>>857698
>>857677
>>857676
>>857670

>all pros in mma trained in separate arts in the beggining tho
>>
>>857677

That fight was so fucking lame. They both damn near knocked eachother out.
>>
>>857676

You have that shit exactly backwards. McGregor started training in boxing, Holm in kickboxing.
>>
>>857756
Titles $40 ones are good.
>>
>>857698
That videos: isn't that more a testament to the skill of the fighters and the use of their tools? That first video especially?

People keep referencing that one kickboxer/boxer fight like it's the be-all end-all proof. Don't get me wrong, it's good evidence, but the debate is still ongoing. Obviously it's better to learn how to kick too, but you learn inferior punching in kickboxing it would seem. Also if I learn anything at all, I'm going to be prepared for 95% of the jokers I probably won't meet on the street anyway.

>>857802
Seriously, this.
>>
>>857802
>>858084
go shitpost somewhere else
>>
>>857625

Don't let those clows get you down, you are everything rigth with starting with boxing.

Good boxing skills are always a valuable asset, wether you switch to something like MMA/Kickboxing later on or if you decide to add grappling. They all train boxing at some point because it's fast, will give you good reflexed and superior footwork.

It's not the end to all questions, but no martial art is. And for self defense it's the best thing you can learn (especially in combination with a grappling style like Judo or Wrestling).
>>
I haven't trained in 4/5 months, not due to laziness but because I went on a very long trip oversea, how badly am I going to suffer when I go back to training again tomorrow?
>>
>>857802
Why did it take so long for someone to say this?
>>
>>859404
The reasons you listed as to why Boxing is good, is really why it's a bad base art but good supplementary art.

It's stupid to have a base art in the first place, because of the limitations of these ancient arts.

Boxing is low on the list, though. There are better arts than Boxing.
>>
>>866439
You must look into yourself to find the answers you seek, young one.
>>
>>859404
>having nothing of value to contribute, just wants to make OP feel better, even if it means keeping OP ignorant to the truth, letting OP live a life of delusion
>>
>>866451
>bad base art
>It's stupid to have a base art in the first place
>Boxing is low on the list, though.
But it's not? Where does all that ignorant faggotry come from? Are we being raided by people who train in martial arts by watching youtube videos again?
>>
>>866461
I've provided accurate information, I'm not going to argue with you.
It's up to you to figure out why you're wrong, you'll just get more stupid if people keep spoon feeding you.
>>
$45 a month, where do you live? Good gyms in my area start at $100/month
>>
>>866461
Muay thai is far more superrior to boxing, teaches you how to strike with knees,shins,elbows, and fists. Much better for self-defense too
>>
>>866461
he's somewhat right tho. Should you take up let's say muay thai, you will discover how you took so many bad habits, such as bending your torso so as to punch someone (thus making you susceptible to a knee or kick to the head you didn't have to worry when you were boxing).
Nevertheless, if you feel like learning boxing, do it. you will worry later about correcting some things doing another martial art. What is more, from my experience you will be far superior throwing punches than the other guys (me being the thai guy doing thai with a former boxer)
>>
I'm 18, 6', 200lbs and with a 77" reach
Should I get into boxing?
>>
>>866564
Boxing is for when you're poor and there are no other options, or you're just really into Boxing for some reason.

Kyokushin Karate, Muay Thai, and Kickboxing are better for self defense and MMA than Boxing is.
>>
>>866564
>>866565
Boxing is a good supplemental martial art though. Like Taekwondo is a good supplemental martial art.
>>
>>857802
Then they started training MMA because MMA fags were fucking them up
>wow I only train wrestling and this guy wont let me take him down and he is punching/kicking me
>maybe I should do what he is doing
>>
>>866568
>comparing boxing to taekwondo
Cancer confirmed. Are you done shitposting already?
>>
>>857645
boxing > mma. a boxer can more easily acquire the skills needed to compete in mma than vice verse. As proven by holly holm.

Thats why you see so many guys stumbling into mma in their 20's or even later then becoming top ufc talent or champs in a few short years.
>>
>>866527
IL

To the other guy: dont worry my gut is telling me boxing. Literally two weeks ago the consensus was boxing is the best to start with. And all the charts and the "boxing + judo" meme....Seriously where did these mma clowns come from? Was a consensus reached since then? Did I miss something? People NEVER said "lol go train MMA breh"...they suggested ONE art based on various factors of the individual
>>
>>866704
Yeah /asp/ got terminal cancer now, good thing you were here before it arrived so you know better.
>>
>>866704
Shit nigger, what part of IL?
>>
>>866778
Chi-raq
>>
>>866530

>Muay thai is (..) much better for self-defense too

Just two FACTS:

1) There are thousands of videos out there of boxers getting in street fights and knocking people out in SECONDS. Even multiple attackers. I have yet to see this about any other martial art. So based on sheer videos Boxing is the abolutely prim martial art for self defense. This is also what people tell you who know what they are talking about (bouncers, even policemen). Downplaying boxing for self defense is just ridicullous.

2) Even if you find one of the RARE self defense videos (not arrenged fights!) with Muay Thai or Kickboxing : what do they use? Do you see a lot of frontkicks, lowkicks, clichwork, ellbows..? No, they use 90% plain old boxing, maybe with one knee or a kick as finisher. There's nothing wrong with having kick defense, but boxing is the very core of those martial arts, and we shouldn't forget that. I have said this so often: Most MT gym train boxing seperately, that's how important they consider good boxing skills.
>>
>>866640
This, especially with Boxers faced with grapplers.
Boxers let grapplers get close enough to start grappling them, and Boxers even clinch, and then Boxers get fucked by grappling.

>>866568
This, too.
Striking includes not only elbows and knees, not only forearm strikes, not only hammer fists, not only knife hand strikes, but striking also includes punching, as well as kicking.
You wont be a good striker if you neglect your kicking skills, you won't be a good striker if you neglect your punching skills.
>>
>>866683
>>866704
>>866754
>>867100
You can live a life of ignorance and delusion, I won't stop you.
But you can also learn the truth, and use that brain of yours for once to actually think about things, use logic and reasoning, think critically.
You're wrong, and you have the ability to find out why you're wrong.

Apply yourself, if not, I won't stop you from living a life of delusion.
>>
>>866704
>Literally two weeks ago the consensus was boxing is the best to start with.

You know what used to be "the consensus"?
>the earth is flat

We have laptops, smartphones, automobiles.
We have these things because people constantly were thinking about how things could be better.
People thought they had the best thing, and other people said they didn't, there could be better things.

There were flip phones, people thought "oh, this is so perfect!", and then other people said "fuck that bullshit", there're better things.
>>
>>866560
>Should you take up let's say muay thai, you will discover how you took so many bad habits
Sadly, some people just have to experience things, maybe multiple times before they can figure out why they were wrong.
Maybe they're just too stupid to figure things out in their heads.
>>
>>866490
this x1,000

There're too many stupid and ignorant shitheads running around.
We should just kill them off.
We should build skyscrapers that are also jails, and lock up all the fuckhead idiots in there, and then blow them up with a nuke.
>>
>>867259
you can do that but I want to torture them first I want to torture each one for a week and I'll let them live to suffer more and then they can get blown up
>>
>>867259
>>867261
We need to keep only the top 10% of the most intelligent people on the planet, and kill everybody else.
Stupidity will eventually lead this whole planet to it's doom.
We need to stop everything, and end this now.
We need a clean slate to rebuild, make a better world, with innovative minds.
Only blood will bath the filth from mother earth.
>>
>>867263
ALL HAIL THE MASTERMIND!
>>
>>867264
Hail.
>>
>>867263

You have a vast misconception about how social systems work. Doing what you want to do is like saying: "hey, we should have three brains instead of brain, lung and stomach".

Furthermore pluralism of opinions is a great thing. You should get a little more open minded, buddy.

>>867247

Wow, wow, that's some moral high ground you claim here..

Let's keep things simple:
There's an overwehlming evidence of how well boxing performs on the street (want me to post oe of the thousands of videos?), there's a lot of anecdotal evidence of how good boxing performs on the street (just look at forums), there's the simple fact that you won't find a single high ranked MMA fighter that hasn't trained in pure boxing somewhere.

And then someone in an anonymous forum just say "well, you people are stupid, I'm much smarter"..

Very well, enlighten us then! But the burden of proof lies upon you. Tell us how half of the mankid has a wrong opinion about boxing being usefull..

You don't even train, do you?
>>
>>867263
>>867264
>>867265
hail
>>
>>866912
Shit son, I'm from the suburbs. The border of Wisconsin is closer than Chicago.
>>
>>867567
>You don't even train, do you?
Pretty obvious that they don't.
>>
>>867253
>You know what used to be "the consensus"?
>>the earth is flat

The funny thing about this is that the current consensus is that the consensus used to be that the earth was flat, but this is untrue. We've known that the earth was spherical for roughly two hundred years.
>>
>>857625
hey guys i know that boxers are usually the guys with more gas when it comes to fight, i would like to have that kind of stamina, anybody here wants to share a good boxing routine of training?
>>
>>868223
Yeah, go to a gym.
>>
>>868223
>anybody here wants to share a good boxing routine of training?
>warm up
>dynamic stretching
>push ups
>sit ups
>pull ups
>jump rope 5min
>jog 1 mile

and then the actual Boxing stuff
>hit a bag for 3min
>do drills for 5min
but you can just dance for a while to get just about exactly the same benefits to stamina.
>>
>>868226
shut the fuck up with your dumb ass fucking nonsense ass bullshit
shut your cunt ass mouth you bitch ass twat
>>
>>868256

Do more cardio.
>>
>>868223
If you don't expect to be able to fight very well despite your training, just look up some cardio kickboxing routines on YouTube or something.
>>
>>867567
not worth it brah, the guy sounded like hes the type to wear UFC t shirts when training and smirks with a huge highhorse fucking face you just want to punch
probably claimes he fought too
>>
>>867263
Doesn't actually sound like that bad of an idea
>>
How can you use your legs to increase punching power across-the-board?

I read somewhere you can kind of let your legs/hips "go limp" for a split-second just before each punch, so that your torso begins to fall downwards. Then, right as you swing, you tighten up and push back against the falling-motion (and into the punch direction) with all the strength in your legs.

Is this how actual boxers get more punching power? I'm just a spectator honestly
>>
File: very long take.webm (3MB, 960x406px) Image search: [Google]
very long take.webm
3MB, 960x406px
What did you guys think of the boxing scenes in Creed? I've heard some people say it's the fakest looking boxing they've ever seen in a movie, and other people say literally the exact opposite and that it was the most realistic.

Here's a video for reference:
http://www.webm.land/w/GszR/
>Direct link:
http://webm.land/media/GszR.webm
>>
>>868493
Rotate your front leg when throwing a left jab, it increases both the distance and power.
>>
>>868531
Oh I haven't seen it but that reminds me, what did you guys think of Southpaw? Worth seeing?
>>
>>866778
Joliet dude
>>
>>867258
>hur some retard on the internet told me mma is better, time to change my entire life
>>
>>867806
Shit son, original guy you replied to. Gym is in Joliet but Im burbs too. Southwest of Chi
>>
>>867263
Youd be the first to get executed. Are you 14?
>>
>>868531
Who told you it was fake-looking and who told you it was realistic?

I've been boxing for about a year now and while it is really clean-looking, none of it looked "bad," especially not in comparison to Stallone's earlier movies.

>>868540
Southpaw was good if predictable and had some great boxing scenes. Gyllenhaal really put in work to try and look authentic.
>>
>>868171
>We've known that the earth was spherical for roughly two hundred years.
Greeks doesnt count?
>>
>>867253
We've known the earth was spherical for thousands of years bro...
>>
>>870172
Most guys on /tv/ said it was "unbelievably fake" looking. Some people were saying it looked like a CGI shitshow.

Most people I've talked to said they thought it looked realistic
>>
>>870988
>Most guys on /tv/ said
Here´s your problem.
>>
>>870988
>Most guys on /tv/
lol
>>
>>870988
Imagine how stupid you would feel if you could see all the prepubescent faces of /tv/
>>
>>866565
Boxing is one of the best arts for self defense you could ever take. way better than kyokushin karate and arguably better than kickboxing. fuck off m8.
>>
I rope skipping at home as effective as running outside? What are the pros/cons of each?
>>
>>870988
They're wrong and horribly misinformed, then. In both movies their techniques were pretty solid. My biggest complaint with Creed was that you could tell when MBJ was purposely leaving himself open to take a countershot after landing/missing a punch. Stallone choreographed the fight scenes and, as I understand, he decided a more natural approach would work starting with Rocky 6 and filmed spars which were then cut up for the movie. I do know that MBJ took a legit unprotected hook to the face for the big KO shot.

Southpaw's director has a strong background in boxing apparently and demanded authenticity. Both movies only had pros or former pros playing boxers. The only reason they might have looked fake could be that parts of it were filmed in front of a green screen to get specific shots.
>>
>>871442
Rope skipping when done right is great cardio. It additionally helps with footwork and natural bounce in the ring.
>>
The Ultimate Boxer : Understanding the Sport and Skills of Boxing by Christy Halbert (2003, Paperback)

Anyone ever read it? Christy Halbert owns the closest boxing gym to me.
>>
Seeing the prices of the gyms posted in this thread worries me that I'm not going into a "real" gym because mine only costs 170$ a year.

It's open three times a week and the sessions last for 1.5 hours. There's only 3 coaches who each train a certain level (The pros who want to do competition, the beginners, and the in-between).

There's often a lot of people at the same time so each coach cannot follow everyone all the time, but I feel like the exercises we do are legit, and they seem to give good advice about posture and technique.

What do you think, /bg/?
>>
>>871454
I go to a gym that costs $35/mo and it's run by a boxer with a 28-6 record and has produced one pro and one two-time Golden Gloves champion. He specifically runs it as a non-profit.

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/boxing-gyms/how-to-find-a-good-boxing-gym

If you're gym has a lot of these, then it's a good gym.
>>
>>866564
Yes, get into boxing. Don't listen to the MMA coattail riders.
>>
>>871454
Dude the one I go to is $45 a month with a $100 start-up fee and they've trained some IBO winners. If anything, the cost being too high is a warning sign. Actual quality of the gym is all over the place and can't be ascertained by the price at all. You have to go in and have a mental checklist:

Do the trainers say they emphasize boxing and not "boxercising"? Most places, even the "real' ones, still train casuals who just want to get fit without actually learning the art (which is good) but they'll also train people who compete at least at an amateur level. Mine has this- actual fighters and people of both sexes just doing it to get fit. They won't necessarily emphasize that they're explicitly not "one of those" gyms, but mine did and that was nice. Just ask, I don't know. Look up the reputations of the coaches, who they've trained, etc. You don't have to be autistic but there are certainly good and bad signs, more or less use common sense.

tl;dr >>871500
>>
>>871500
You're not by Chi are you?
>>
>>872173
Nope. In VA
>>
Is there a way to go from middleweight to heavyweight?

I'm 6''1 and weight 165 lbs but I'd like to be around 187 lbs because I look skinny as fuck.
>>
>>872823

To be honest you're probably better off staying at a low weight class. Most guys at heavyweight are above 6'5 and hit like mack trucks. Being at a lower weight gives you a massive size and reach advantage. If you can learn some great technique your leverage for your punches will give them unreal power for your frame. Look up Tommy Hearns to get an idea of what you'd be capable of.
>>
>>872943
Thanks for the advice. I don't like my body right now so that's the reason I want to become heavier and stronger, even if that means losing in speed or reach.

So, if I eat a shitton of carbs and proteins all week, would that do the trick? Or are boxing workouts 2stronk to become heavier will doing them?
>>
>>872969
You might want to go to /fit/ for bulking advice. If you're not planning on competing regularly then go for it, but I promise you a good trainer will probably try to urge you to stay at your current weight until you can figure out how you fight. Right now you're making judgement without knowing what you're working with. I came in thinking I'd be a plodding brawler like Marciano because I'm shorter and had heavy feet. My trainer saw how I worked and decided he wanted to turn me into a boxer puncher because after about six months of work my footwork became a strong point.

Just go in and train and do what you want outside of the boxing gym. You'll eventually find your happy place.
>>
>>857625
Naz was never good
>>
When should I ask my trainer to help me develop a flick/pawing jab? I can't do it on my own, and don't want to get my ass chewed out for testing it without saying anything to him first. Do different styles just develop or can someone be like "Just do X now"
>>
>>857635
I have my first pro kickboxing fight (muay thai rules since that's all I could get) in a few weeks and I'm a heavyweight. I've trained with plenty of boxers, a few up and coming prospects, and I can tell you that the hardest punchers I have come across are ALL Kyokushin Karate fighters. When I went to Japan most of the black belts that weighed 150lbs punched harder than the cruiserweights I've trained with.
>>
>>873939
>or can someone be like "Just do X now"
The more you train X, the easier it is to "do X now".
>>
>>868531
I thought that the boxing looked much more realistic than the previous movies (where rocky and whoever would just take turns punching each other in the face with no attempt at blocking).
>>
>>873224
He was good, he just wasn't ever an atg. There's no shame in that.
>>
>started training in some cheap boxing gym
>punch bag, lift weights, shadow box in front of mirror
>look at others, try to copy what they are doing
>look up stuff on the internet, try to incorporate it in training

Some guy corrects me from time to time but that's it. How far am i going to progress like this? Is personal trainer mandatory if you want to become decent?
>>
>>877468
yea i felt the same way the one before this one was also getting more realistic.
>>
>>877604
For the most part, yes. You need to have someone who really knows what they're doing correcting your form and mistakes. You're definitely are going to do things wrong without realizing it, so unless you have someone watching and tweaking your stuff, you're going to improve at a much slower pace.

Case and point: when I first started, the owner didn't have a whole lot of time to help me, so he taught me some basics and left me to my own devices. Another trainer started coming to the gym about four months into my tenure there and he took special interest in me and my friends (mainly because we were the only non-pros who showed up regularly) and we've all improved tremendously since then in ways we would never have otherwise. He taught us a lot of things about angles, footwork, and general strategy that the owner didn't have time to teach us while he worked with the pro fighters.

Don't worry too much about it and do what you can. Any work with some correction is better than no work with a ton of thought.

If you have any questions I'll do what I can to help though! I strongly suggest you watch JT Van V and Marvin Cook on youtube though.
>>
>>877999
Thanks for suggestions. Alredy know about JT van V, great stuff. Will check out Marvin too.
Some questions:
>what should i focus on? Footwork, correctly throwing punches, heavy bag?
>how should my work routine look like?
>>
>>877999
>You're definitely are going to do things wrong without realizing it
If you're stupid.
>>
How do I find out if my gym has produced any pros?
Granted I'm muay thai and not boxing but still
>>
>>878652
Everyone I've ever seen say that has had zero to little real martial arts or combat experience. I'm not going to get into an argument with you about it, but the real evidence is in how few fully self-trained professional fighters there are at a high level.

>>878666
Ask them.

>>878507
>what should i focus on? Footwork, correctly throwing punches, heavy bag?

All of it. I've heard before that when you upgrade your footwork, you upgrade everything, and it's pretty much true. I used to have shit footwork and when I realized it and started working on it everything suddenly got better. Being able to quickly reset into your boxing stance and throw from almost anywhere is an underrated aspect of boxing. Additionally, it's kind of impossible to throw punches with correct form if your footwork is shit, since it all comes from your feet. The heavy bag is a supplementary tool that, when used right, is really helpful, but the best use is working on setting up shots which, you guessed it, require good footwork.

>how should my work routine look like?

Whatever helps you work on areas you need to work on. A basic workout for me goes:

Roadwork - 20-30 minutes
Jump Rope - 3 rounds uninterrupted
Shadowboxing - 3-10 rounds, depending on what I'm focusing on
Double end bag - 3 rounds minimum
Speed bag - 3 rounds minimum up until I messed up my left shoulder
Heavy bag - 3 rounds minimum, then 3 more rounds with burnouts at the 30 second warning
Mitt work - 3 rounds if a trainer's available
Sparring - 3 rounds minimum if there's someone there
Ab word - 6 sets of 50 crunches on an incline bench with a medicine ball
Stretching and cooldown.

I realized recently that I've learned a lot of other drills (cone drills for footwork, tree drills, etc) that I only do once and a while. I want to add those to my regular routine because I feel that I don't get a whole lot out of them if I only do them once every now and then.
>>
>>879059
>but the real evidence is in how few fully self-trained professional fighters there are at a high level.
You speak of evidence, implying you know methods of obtaining truth, yet you fail to understand a very simple fact, one that scientists (those who seek out truth) tend to know very well: Correlation does not imply causation.
pleb
idiot
Kill yourself, you'll be doing the world a favor.
>>
>>879059
You can ride a horse, or you can ride a motor cycle.
It's easier to learn how to ride a motorcycle than it'd be to ride a horse, some people find it impossible to ride a horse.
That's why people don't self teach.
Most people are also just too stupid and impulsive to put in the time, and gain something worth keeping from the time.
>>
>>879059
Jump off of a building, but make sure you live.
With a broken body, you can start thinking about how stupid you are.
>>
>>879059
>>879082
When your narrow minded thinking makes it so your only goal is to get from point A to point B, it'd be the best option to learn how to ride a motorcycle and ride the motorcycle, rather than ride a horse.
>>
>>879059
Just kill yourself.
>>
>>879059
Die.
>>
>>879059
If it were up to me, you'd have a month-long death.
>>
>>879059
Become an hero.
>>
>>879059
Stay delusional.
>>
>>879059
Commit Seppuku.
>>
>>879059
Make yourself die.
>>
>>879059
Kill yourself, idiot.
>>
>>879059
>the stupid fuck thinks he's dumb shit
Whenever you think you know something, just assume that everybody else is right and you're wrong.
>>
>>879059
End Your Life.
>>
>>879059
You must have a tumor in your frontal lobe, you obviously have impaired reasoning abilities.
>>
>>879059
Hang yourself.
>>
>>879059

>Get 20ft of rope
>Tie it to the top of a building that's at least 3 stories tall
>Tie the end of the rope around your neck
>Jump off of the building
>>
>>879059
Kill yourself, you'd be doing us all a favor.
>>
>>879059
You should surprise a police officer by Boxing him without notice when he's not expecting it.
Don't say a single word while you're doing it.
>>
>>879059
It's been scientifically proven that you can take stronger punches if you've been run over by a car on a highway.
>>
>>879059
People with more than 10 years of Boxing experience know that if you stab a fork into your leg as hard as you can, once your leg heals, your footwork will be at least 1.5 times faster.
>>
>>879059
My cousin was an amateur boxer, and he trained with professional fighters.
He says that by hitting your head as hard as you can 10 times with a baseball bat, it'll make it 10x harder for you to get knocked out.
>>
>>879059
Did you kill yourself yet?
>>
>>857625
My only interest in boxing is being able to not get hit in the head long enough to get a throw/takedown and work a submission. How do I get good at defensive boxing? I'm not worried about being able to hit people, I just want to be untouchable.
>>
>>879059

Here's how to make fun crystals, and get better at boxing at the same time!

Making crystals is one of the best ways to condition your lungs for boxing.

You'll need around 5-8 pennies (or copper coin from your country), and a straw, put these aside.

Get a clear jar, scoop 2 tablespoons of salt into it, and 1 tablespoon of baking soda.

Now the first important ingredient should be in the bathroom cleaning supplies: Amonia (any brand). Pour it in until the jar is 2/3 of the way full (as tall as you want the crystals to grow).

The last ingredient is laundry bleach (careful not to spill on your clothes!), fill the rest of the jar.

Now drop the pennies into the bottom, and quickly take the straw and blow bubbles onto the pennies to get the crystals going.

You should begin to see stringy crystals form after about 30 seconds of blowing. That's it!

After 10min of blowing, you'll have big crystals, and great conditioned lungs for Boxing!
>>
>>879158
>My only interest in boxing is being able to not get hit in the head long enough to get a throw/takedown and work a submission.
You could take a punch or kick to the body and go down.

0:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDsnH2h5OR0
>>
>>879059
Suicide yourself.
>>
>>879059
Your life, end it.
>>
>>879059
Have you ever thought about living somewhere where you can't access the internet?
>>
>>879059
Kill yourself, end your life, for your own sake.
>>
>>879059
If you drink the blood of the Boxers you train with, you'll gain a percentage of their skill.
It's okay if you take their blood without knowing because you can share your blood with them later.
>>
>this guy has been so assad (probably a wrestler looking to shitpost) that's he's been posting variations of kill yourself for a fucking hour
How can someone dedicate so much time to shitposting
>>
>>879059
>>879182

DIE BITCHES!

DIE LIKE BOXING DIED YEARS AGO!
>>
>>879185
Literally nobody has cared about wrestling since like, middle of hulkamania
>>
>>879182
I don't know, but I feel so popular!
>>
File: image.png (265KB, 424x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
265KB, 424x500px
>>879190
>>
>>879189
>Literally nobody has cared about wrestling since like, middle of hulkamania
>/asp/ got changed to Wrestling & Alternative Sports 11/12/15
>>
>>879205
lol ok manbaby
>>
>>879169
Oh, I know, I just can't get pounded in the head too much because of issues with my neck.
>>
>>857638
>Lol dont even bother

Never listen to people like these.
>>
>>857635
>I'm 21, 22 next week. 5'10 and a half, weight fluctuates between 140-170 it seems like. Let's say 160 right now. Standard wingspan for my height. Never joined a gym before, I start my entire boxing career tomorrow. Tips? Should I bring my own gloves? They're not expecting me, I'm just going to show up again, I finally have the money for it.

A decent gym should have gloves for you to use until you get a feel for whether or not you really want to spend the money on it.

With your age and without knowing your experience level, you're really fighting an uphill battle to be financially successful in the boxing business. I don't want to discourage you but if you're looking to legitimately make a career of it, you're going to have to work harder than anyone else and listen to EVERYTHING your coach tells you about technique and training, otherwise you'll most likely just be making it harder on yourself. You're also going to have to study a LOT outside of the gym as well as really start watching your diet and exercise regime because you really can't waste time having to worry about recovering from "rest" periods where you go off-diet and gain sloppy weight or lose your edge since that'll be valuable time wasted.

Best of luck and tell us how it went!
>>
>>857642
>mfw I read this after that long ass post.

That's a completely different story! I'm almost 30 and I'm having a blast. My coach tells me that if I really wanted to I could have a pro fight or two a bit down the road and he wants to enter me in a novice tournament soon when I get my weight down a bit. Go in, enjoy it, and tell us how it went!
>>
>>857625
Why is boxing an alternative sport?

It's a real sport. Fuck the autists of /sp/.
>>
>>857629
So you like watching two men roll on the ground together with arms locked around each other?
>>
>>879486
>So you like watching two men roll on the ground together with arms locked around each other?
That's BJJ, friendo.

In MMA, we like a little role-play before we get to the rolling around on the ground thing.
Sometimes, we just edge each other so much, that we finish before we even get to all that on the ground with locked arms thing.
>>
>>879484
Why is wrestling any kind of sport
>>
just finished my 3rd boxing session
holy shit is it the most intense workout ive done
>>
>>879484
i like to think of it this way
/sp/ watches sport on television
/asp/ participates in sport
and wwe mandrama children discuss paiges feet
>>
I might make a seperate thread for this but I figured I'd ask here first.

I'm looking to get into boxing. I realized its important to know what to do with your hands rather than just be an idiot and start swinging. I'm a decent sized guy but I'd feel more confident if I actually knew how to strike/fight.

I'm an athletic trainer (sports medicine) so I've learned a lot about head injuries. The fear of concussions and CTE when I'm very old is magnified for me more than normal people.

Does anyone know the risk of head injuries for someone looking to get into boxing who doesn't want to be competitive? I have zero desire to ever have an amateur fight. I know sparring is required and a huge part of getting better and I can understand that. But for someone who just wants to have a grasp on defending themselves, what are my chances of suffering serious head injuries or brain injuries over time? Any advice on this topic?
>>
>>880672
People were sparring today in my club and quite a lot of them took some nasty punches to the head, one of them always got his jaw broken. It was just sparring, but you're bound to get punched in the head quite a few times even if you try to be careful.
>>
>>880672
Most of the brain trauma is from getting KOd and smashing your head off of the ground without being able to protect yourself. Wear your special helmet and you'll be fine.
>>
Hey guys, I'm really interested in getting some boxing training, but I don't know how to go about it.
I've looked locally, but I can't seem to find any gyms, and the one I did find seems to be some run down place in the ghetto.

any help? anything to expect? what's a reasonable price to pay?
I've never been in a fight before and I'm mostly doing this to learn some self defense and discipline.
also, boxing seems pretty cool.
>>
Hey guys, I'm really interested in getting some boxing training, but I don't know how to go about it.
I've looked locally, but I can't seem to find any gyms, and the one I did find seems to be some run down place in the ghetto.

any help? anything to expect? what's a reasonable price to pay?
I've never been in a fight before and I'm mostly doing this to learn some self defense and discipline.
also, boxing seems pretty cool.
>>
>>885747
Disregarding startup fees, $60 a month and less is the price.
$70 a month is really pushing reasonability.

$150 a month, and you might as well do MMA.
>>
>>885747
Look at your trainer's cred. Mine is located in a real shitty ghetto area but the trainer is a national champion so it's worth it.
>>
>>892722
>>885747
Good trainers get set up in the ghetto because folks in those areas want to box and not just boxercise.
>>
>>885857
I pay 45 a month for mma and my gym has a few fighters signed with Bellator
>>
>>857625
How do i git gud at defense?
>>
>>898843
get punched a lot.
you'll be able to tank hits in a few years.
>>
>>898851
I can already soak up a lot of damage, but I'll get old eventually and would rather be able to better avoid the punches to avoid swiss cheese brain syndrome.
>>
>>899912
smart yea glad you are aware of that.
>>
>>898843
Footwork drills.
Mitt work with a good trainer.
Slip rope drills.
Shadowboxing with emphasis on head movement and footwork.
Slip bag drills.

Keeping your right up at your cheek unless you're using it.
Not squaring your shoulders.

What situations are opening you up for getting hit?
>>
>>898843
Make your opponent focus on defending himself rather than attacking you.

Fakes and feints can be your best friends, you just need to take the time to get to know them.
>>
>>857629
hand to hand? boxing is the only hand to hand combat sport. mma has feet arms and shit ya stupid fuck.

why are all you idiots either pro mma or pro boxing and say fuck the other sport. I love boxing, I love mma I hat,e you faggots
>>
>>873224
He was entertaining as fuck though. I'd replace 99% of the last 2 years' major fights with a repeat of any of the Prince's fights.
>>
>>859404
>>857625
if youre gonna do mma you should learn to strike and grapple at the same time. preferably a gym that does both so when youre in class they will mix it up and always emphasize mma not striking or just grappling
>>
File: 1453508764400.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1453508764400.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>910246
This.

You get all the stuff that works, without the bullshit.
You also get modifications of the arts so they work well in an MMA environment.
>>
File: not samefag.jpg (349KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
not samefag.jpg
349KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: stIiGLv.jpg (196KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
stIiGLv.jpg
196KB, 1920x1080px
hey fellas, gymfag here looking to get into boxing

I have about 6 months of experience from when I was in high school (live in a different city now), I know the basic punches but my footwork/weaving is total shite

Really want to get into SOME martial art, I really enjoyed boxing when I did it and in any case I feel like I should be able to hold my own and boxing is a good sport for that. Also very likely going to be starting judo because that's offered at school (and my biggest constraint with picking martial arts is commuting + price, judo is near my classes and free) but that isn't relevant to this thread

Anyways, how many times a week do you guys recommend training? I lift 5-6 days a week and at the moment and my lifts are pretty decent so I would like to at least maintain them or even improve them. I reckon I could maintain my strength if i trained even 1-2x a week but I'd need 2-3 at least if i want to keep improving.

Also, should I be changing what I actually do at the gym when I start boxing? At the moment I just do heavy front squats/overheadpress/rows two days then third day just deadlifts bench press and pullups, pretty sure that'd be too much for training martial arts at the same time

Plus any general advice would be appreciated
>>
McDojo or not? It's $60 a month and is the only boxing place near me. Don't know much about qualifications to teach boxing, but at least they spar...
>>
>>913104
http://www.cefmartial-arts.com/
forgot link
>>
>>913104
Does their coach(es) have a good reputation amongst boxers?

Do the coaches actively work with the boxers?

Is the gym simply "open" as opposed to having scheduled hour long "classes?"

Are there boxers there actively competing or training to enter tournaments?

Are they successful?

If you can answer yes to those questions, it's probably pretty good.

>>912619
>>Anyways, how many times a week do you guys recommend training?

What are your goals? Do you want to compete or just get good at it? I go three/four times a week for about 2.5/3 hours a day, but that's because I really enjoy it. At least twice a week tends to be the bare minimum if you actually want to retain and grow at a decent rate.
>>
>>913137
I just want to get good at it desu

Although I have toyed with the idea of competing, when I was boxing in high school my coach used to tell me I'm a hard hitter and I could do well in competition if I keep at it (and this was before I lifted). Might be wishful thinking though cus I'm 20 which is pretty old pretty old (for someone starting a martial art)
>>
>>913164
I'm almost 30 and will (hopefully) be competing in a novice tournament this summer. I don't have any aspirations of becoming an amateur champ or anything, I just want to have a few matches under my belt before I turn to coaching. My coach also said that if I really wanted to, he could set up a pro fight or two for me. One of the guys at the gym started boxing at 18 and went pro, going 4-1 before an eye injury forced him to retire.

If you want to compete, let your coach know your goals and he'll let you know whether or not you have it.
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.