[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sometimes in the middle of the night, my dog barks in his crate.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: image.gif (91KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
91KB, 400x300px
Sometimes in the middle of the night, my dog barks in his crate. It's not problematic because he stops pretty soon after he starts, but it's creepy as hell. Any suggestions forgetting him to stop?
>>
>>2068922
For getting*
>>
How is that creepy?
Anyway, completely 100% ignore it at all costs.
>>
>>2068925

Sorry, first dog. It's just so sudden, and it makes me think he's barking at something, but I'm not sure what. I play the radio for him while he's trying to sleep, and I ignore his barking, but I guess it's not too much of an issue if he stops.
>>
How old is he?
>>
If your dog is a puppy and/or new to his environment, he is probably barking because he's insecure or wants attention and is testing the waters to figure things out. So he's not necessarily barking "at" anything, he's just barking to see if he'll get a response because he's bored or lonely.

Thus, as another anon said, by all means do NOT give him ANY attention for barking in his crate. Ignore it entirely. Don't talk to him, don't look at him, and definitely do NOT let him out while he's doing it. If you respond to his barking, he will not learn to settle in his crate and will instead learn that barking or crying will get him attention, which will form a very loud and bad habit.

If you consistently ignore it, he'll learn it doesn't do him any good to bark in his crate, and he'll eventually stop. Another thing you can do is periodically reward him with attention or treats when he's laying in his crate calmly and quietly. This will help him feel secure in there and show him that being relaxed and quiet is good.

As for playing the radio for him, it's probably not necessary. I personally wouldn't do it unless he had bad anxiety and was otherwise absolutely unable to calm down and sleep, because you may end up building a dependence on the noise of the radio (which would suck if you ended up in a situation where you didn't have a radio to play and you still needed him to be calm and able to sleep.)

Also, if he's a young puppy, make sure you're taking him outside for bathroom breaks often enough during the night. (This doesn't mean take him out while he's barking, it means set up a schedule and take him out every few hours--and always only let him out of the crate when he's quiet.)
>>
Probably a ghost. Animals are much more sensitive to the supernatural than we are. Try to find a priest or a shaman to come to your house and bless it.
>>
>>2068925
>dog doesn't shut the fuck up, disturbing much needed sleep of other HUMANS
>ignore it
Typical dogfag
>>
>>2068951
...if you don't ignore it, the dog will do it more. And thus disturb MORE of your precious sleep. The point of ignoring it isn't "lol who cares let it bark" but instead to actually get it to stop
>>
>>2068951
I don't even especially like dogs.
The reason you ignore it is if you don't the dog learns it can pretty much not have to go to sleep, and will keep barking more and more and make you miserable.

If you just let it bark a few times with no reaction it will likely stop since it doesnt accomplish anything.
>>
>>2068933
6 years old
>>
>>2068941
>>2068953

I've had him for three weeks, and he's done this for two of them. I figured he would have stopped by now.
>>
>>2068978
Was he crate trained before you got it?
>>
>>2069008
Supposedly. He's fine in there at bedtime, but he hates it anytime else.
>>
>>2069009
My main concern is that, yes, I have been ignoring him, and although he doesn't do it every night, it still happens after 2 weeks. It it normal for this to continue after this long?
>>
Why do you have to crate him so much though? An adult dog shouldn't really need crating in the daily life.
>>
>>2069108
The only time I crate him is at night, when he's asleep anyways. I think it's less stressful for him, but I've been told by others that I should crate him more so that he'll be used to it in case he needs to be boarded.
>>
>>2068941
My puppy has only peed in his crate during his first night
During the day he won't hold for 10 min, but no trouble at night, go figure
Also he's 9 weeks old
>>
>>2069123
>in case he needs to be boarded
a good boarding place wouldn't keep him in a crate all day...
>>
>>2069173
Well in case for some damned reason he needs to be boarded in a bad boarding place
Or if he musts stay at the vet for a while
Or if for whatever reason he needs to be crated
It's always good to have him able to stay in a crate without freaking out
>>
>>2069185
Well you've tested him, he didn't freak out.
You can let him out now. He won't freak out either when he's put in a cage or crate for reasons.
>>
>>2068978
>>2069009
>>2069076
It can take dogs a while to adjust to a new home, so yeah, it isn't abnormal that he'd still be doing it.

Really, ignoring it is the most important thing you can do to get him to stop.

Other than that, work on crate training some more outside of bedtime. Make the crate a happy, comfy place for him to relax. Reward him for going in there and for being quiet/calm in the crate, etc.

And yes, it's a good idea to make sure he can be crated without freaking out, but you don't need to crate him super often in order to keep him "used to it." Just train him to tolerate it and once you've done that, let the crate just be somewhere he can go to chill or sleep on his own.
>>
>>2068922
>Crating your dog unless necessary for transport.
You're fucking disgusting.
>>
>>2069502
But he has already learned how to be crated though. He is used to it. He won't freak out when occasionally crated for transportation. Barking a little sometimes isn't a big deal, it doesn't mean that he is freaking out.

You don't have to do something every day for six years just for him to get used to something.
>>
>>2069503
No, I agree with that. He doesn't need to continue crating his dog all the time if he's already been trained to be used to it. I thought you were implying that crate training was unnecessary and that you should never even introduce your dog to a crate until one day you need it for transportation.
>>
You should try putting your dick in his mouth
>>
>>2068922
You should try putting your cock in the dogs mouth & butt
>>
>>2069551
See >>2069507
>>
>>2069538

... Creative...
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.