[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you goys think about adopting a retired racing greyhound?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

What do you goys think about adopting a retired racing greyhound?

Any experience with this?
>>
Moot is that you?
>>
>>2067227
that's what I was thinking...
like damn, moot. Stop posting this shit every three years. We're sick of it.
>>
>>2067227
>>2067228
I am unfamiliar with this meme.

I only come to this board to tell people not to let their cats outside desu
>>
>>2067232
You should be telling people to use a q-tip
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 600x581px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 600x581px
>>2067307
Stop memeing me
>>
pls respond
>>
>>2067223
my neighbor had two, they make race tracks out of your back yard and need constant exercise, but very good dogs
>>
>>2067835
It depends on the dog. Some NEED to run daily. Others will run occasionally or if you instigate it. I had one that never ran, not once. They do love going for walks and are trained to walk on a leash when you get them. Remember they're sprinters, not marathon runners. 2-3 mile walk and they're exhausted.
>>
>>2067835
Greyhounds are pretty low energy. However, they DO a need space to run. That's really it. They're chill, clean, and quiet otherwise. They don't need vigorous exercise, just a big yard to run in daily and a few walks a week. Obviously, young dogs are the exception, but most rescued greys aren't young.
>>
File: Maddie 20 Feb 2016 01.jpg (139KB, 533x599px) Image search: [Google]
Maddie 20 Feb 2016 01.jpg
139KB, 533x599px
>>2067223

Ex-racers are surprisingly well trained and well behaved in all ways except toilet discipline (because they're used to concrete kennels with drains...). Even then most are very trainable - keen to please.

Not always the smartest dogs, and sometimes very neurotic, but most are super-chill. Few congenital issues until very late in life as per any dog. They don't normally need much walking, but do benefit from somewhere to run like a mad bastard from time to time - they quickly tire. Pretty good apartment dog so long as you have time to walk them at least twice a day - happy to sleep the rest of the time.

Not always cat/small dog friendly, as per most sight-hounds.

Love mine - an 8YO female who started life as a lurcher rather than racer, but same principles apply. Lovely doggo.
>>
>>2067924
Nice, if I don't have a yard would daily dog park trips suffice?
>>
>>2067227
I don't get it
>>
>>2068019
that's because you're new.

most people here probably don't get it.
>>
>>2067930

So long as you get the whole "it's a dog and so you can't just park it for 23 hours a day" then yeah, IME a couple of decent trips out per day *minimum* should suffice for exercise, but s/he'll need suitable toileting arrangements in-between. An ex-racer will deal with this better than a dog sourced from anywhere else.
>>
File: lazy-dog.jpg (6KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
lazy-dog.jpg
6KB, 259x195px
>>2067842
>I had one that never ran, not once.

Niggas prolly tired of the bullshit.
>>
>>2067223
We had an ex racer

Great dog, no complaints, he was lazy as shit though which was a good thing I guess
>>
>>2068020
how is it funny?
>>
File: Maddie sofa-hogs 03 Feb 2016.jpg (219KB, 599x464px) Image search: [Google]
Maddie sofa-hogs 03 Feb 2016.jpg
219KB, 599x464px
>>2067223

10 reasons For and 10 reasons Against - excellent article here: www.retiredracinggreyhounds.com/10reasons.html
>>
>>2067223
Every greyhound I ever met was super gentle and great on a leash. Some seem rather gassy.
>>
File: P8150523.jpg (760KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
P8150523.jpg
760KB, 2048x1536px
>>2068260
That was the joke. He said screw it, I'm retired. Never again.
>>
>>2067878
>a few walks a week.
People don't walk their dogs daily over there?
>>
>>2070997

I walk my grey 2-3 times daily minimum, plus a spell of off-the-leash romping in the garden. Not all need or want that much, but 1 walk a day is the bare minimum for any healthy doggo.
>>
>>2071149
>2-3 times daily minimum
You're either NEET or work from home
>>
>>2071176

the latter - and I need the exercise more than she does...
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.