[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey. I've just adopted a cat. It was a feral and has a few

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 1.jpg (76KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
76KB, 810x540px
Hey. I've just adopted a cat. It was a feral and has a few behavioral issues (scratching the sofa, jumping on things, chewing window blind pulls, etc.). I've tried the recommended training methods like putting foil on things, anti-chew spray, positive reinforcement, putting scratching posts and toys out, spraying with water, and many more, but the behavior continues. Wut do? I was thinking about getting something like a remote collar that makes an unpleasant noise when I push a button, but can't find anything like that. Any tips? I want to give her more freedom to roam around the house, but I also don't want all my shit torn up.
>>
Your cat sound bored and under exercised. I suggest a fishing lure type toy. Two 15 min play sessions a day should do it. You want your cat laying on his side, breathing heavy.

As to training, use a squirt bottle. Make a loud "psst psst" noise when you use it. If you are consistent, you will eventually be able to stop any bad behavior instantly with just the "psst psst" noise.
>>
>>2064674

She actually doesn't mind when I spray her with a squirt bottle. I've tried it quite a lot. All she does is lick the water off and I think she enjoys it.
>>
File: OP.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
OP.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>2064673
>I've just adopted a cat
>>
>>2064679
Put some vinegar in it. Not much, a little. The smell will tell her she's an asshat.
>>
>>2064692

That sounds like a good idea. Any place I can find something like the sound collar that I described. I spend a lot of time chasing her around the house to stop her doing bad shit and it prevents me from getting work done (plus I'm not sure if she just thinks im being an ass to her rather than telling her that what she is doing is bad).
>>
>>2064699
>I'm not sure if she just thinks im being an ass to her rather than telling her that what she is doing is bad
>cat admitting it's being an ass
Yeah, that's like bugguy admitting he's wrong.
>>
>>2064699
just look for shock collars on ebay
>>
>>2064734

Don't want to hurt her or shock her. Just want something that makes an unpleasant/startling noise when I can tell shes being bad.
>>
>>2064746
It won't hurt it, it's not an electric chair.
>>
why don't you just fucking yell. jesus
>>
>>2064804

I do. She doesn't stop. I'd also rather have her connect the unpleasant noise with what she is doing rather than with me.
>>
>>2064818
>I do. She doesn't stop.
is your cat deaf or do you whine at her instead of yelling?
>I'd also rather have her connect the unpleasant noise with what she is doing rather than with me.
that'd only be the case for about a minute, she'd know it was your fault.
>>
>>2064843

I doubt she is deaf, as she reacts, but she was a factory cat and was around loud noises and shouting pretty much her whole life.
>>
>>2064843

>that'd only be the case for about a minute, she'd know it was your fault.
Even if I'm just in another room pressing a button?
>>
>>2064674
>>2064692
>>2064734
>all this for some shitty cat
>>
>>2064858

She's a pretty sweet cat. I found her in the barn when she was a baby and her mom and littermates abandoned her. Raised her and she was our factory cat. We're pretty attached.

She got attacked by a large rat, so I finally brought her home and let her live indoors.
>>
>>2064858
We get it you don't like cats do you want a medal for going around to every cat thread and proclaiming your distaste for them like the autistic fuck you are?
>>
>>2064888
That's actually cool.

I apologize.
>>
>>2064895

No worries. She's only 4 lbs and 5 years old, so I think she got abandoned because she was the runt. We let her just run around the factory for years, but I got worried when she got bitten and a had a bad infection. Now I feel responsible for her as I'm kind of like her dad.
>>
>>2064673
She's beautiful OP

Is there a name for cats of this colouring?
>>
Tabby cats
>>
>>2064920
Torbie?
>>
>>2064920

She's a beautiful little girl. Glad I was able to give her a good home.
>>
>>2064674
This

Also, for small dogs, they make training collars that give a beep and a vibration. (Because a real "shock" collar would probably kill a chihuahua lol) This would probably fit on a cat and could be used for training as well.
>>
>>2064888
Thats one hell of an origin story. Unfortunately, being older will make it harder for her to change behavior. It won't be impossible, but don't count on anything changing fast. Some of those behaviors probably are just gonna stay forever, but do you really mind her jumping up on stuff?
>>2064930
What a cutie
>>
Cats chew, cats play, cats scratch stuff.

thats not a behavioural issue you stupid dumb fuck its natural. get a scratchpost, some nice cat weed filled pillows to chew on and play with the cat.

fucking dumb shits everywhere.
>>
>>2064679
Then use a coke can with pennies in it. Throw it near your cat making the "psst psst". Noise. Don't actually hit the cat with the can.

DO NOT GET A VIBRATING COLLAR FOR YOUR CAT. She won't understand what is happening and she will just turn neurotic and skiddish.
>>
>>2065188
>DO NOT GET A VIBRATING COLLAR FOR YOUR CAT. She won't understand what is happening and she will just turn neurotic and skiddish.
hippies
>>
>>2065100
>do you really mind her jumping up on stuff?

I'm an antique furniture dealer, so the stuff she is jumping on is my inventory, which can be an issue.

>>2065131

I've gotten her tons of toys, scratching posts, and catnip. She just doesn't seem to like to use any of them even with a great deal of effort put into positive reinforcement.

>>2065188

Tried the coke can (and a jar) filled with pennies. It worked for the first couple days, but now she just totally ignores the noise.
>>
>>2065429
>I've gotten her tons of toys, scratching posts, and catnip. She just doesn't seem to like
You have to play with her.

>Tried the coke can (and a jar) filled with pennies. It worked for the first few days
Training takes more than a few days. And you need to surprise her with the can.
>>
>>2065429
It really sounds like your cat isn't stimulated enough.

This guy got the right idea: >>2064674

You really got to tire her out.
>>
>>2065450
>your cat isn't stimulated enough
bestiality is wrong
>>
>>2065459
Fucking your cat is fine.
>>
Reading shit like this makes me realize just how much I love my cat.

Took to his scratch toys right off the bat. Love people after some training. He's lazy as fuck for a young cat too. He's just perfect.

Some cats are just brave high energy cats. My old cat who passed was like that. Didn't care about water. Had to use a nerf gun. Problem was that I really didn't tend to his needs well enough. He NEEDED another cat to play with. He always used to have one until I moved. He got better when he had my ex's dog to play with.
>>
>>2064691
Bad post.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.