[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 55

File: image.jpg (35KB, 477x211px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 477x211px
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.liveaquaria.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
http://www.petsolutions.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE - http://www.google.com
>>
When you make a new thread always link it to the previous one, and vice versa.
>>
>>2062313

>>2060039
>>2060039
>>2060039
There
>>
>>2062295
>>2062299
>>2062305

People get elitist because they are easy, but other than the fact they poop a lot (not nearly as bad as goldfish though) and they spit out babies, but thats the fun.
>>
>>2062320
No mollys are literally junk fish
>>
>>2062313
What's the point linking others to a dead thread?
>>
>>2062329
So you can flip through the old thread in case a question you asked was recently answered
>>
I have a 35 gallon tank that is currently holding

5 Neon Tetras
1 Gold Nugget Pleco
1 Cherry Barb
2 Silver Dollar fish

What additions to the tank can anyone suggest?
>>
>>2062354
More barbs and dollars since they're schooling fish
>>
>>2062335
People post in the previous threads even when the new one is active.
>>
>>2062320
>>2062326
Mollies are great fun for a person starting out with breeding. If you don't want to jump directly into breeding things like Bolivian Rams, or clownfish, you may want to practice first with mollies. They're fun fish, that work great as feeders after you have a colony created.
>>
>>2062378
Or the fry are good rolled into a fish pie crust and baked alive. Pre dead ones don't taste as good.
>>
>>2062366
You realize that you can post even after bump limit, right?
And even after 404 you can check out the thread in the archive.
Lurk more before posting.
>>
>>2062396
ur a funy guy xD
upboated msir ahah
>>
>>2062428
Way to ruin the thread. Even ironic shitposting is still shit posting. You took the bait when you should have ignored it anon. Everyone else can see it.
>>
>>2062433
You call that a shitpost?
>>
>>2062434
Yes. Unless bugnigger jumps in.
>>
>>2062436
You haven't seen a shitpost.
>>
File: dwarf lily.jpg (1001KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf lily.jpg
1001KB, 1440x2560px
just got two of these, some sort of red dwarf lilly. the exact type wasn't listed and i'd like to know.
any ideas?
it looks darker red irl
sorry for poor photo quality, phone camera sucks
>>
>>2062551
It's exactly that, I red dwarf lily. It's a heavy rooting plant, so make sure you dont disturb it, and try not to vacuum to close to it either (the roots will like the decaying matter anyways). Other then that their great plants that I think everyone should have, since they require virtually no light whatsoever, but can also thrive under ultra high light as well. They also get freakin huge
>>
>>2062551
It looks like you dropped an entire cucumber in your tank.
>>
>>2062562
I believe their algae coated rocks, not blanched cucumbers
>>
got a lot of snails in my tank chaps. its heavily planted and they lay their eggs all over the fucking place.

pond snails i think, with a smaller population of MTS also.

I have a pleco in there who's moving to a larger tank soon, what catfish/bottom dwellers could i get that will help with my snails?

Tank is too small for clown loach, im more interested in what will eat the eggs at this point. I have assassin snails and will get more soon to help control the adult snail numbers
>>
>>2062567
Get a dwarf puffer, or better a small group of them. You'll have very few snails in no time.
>>
>>2062570
i would quite like to though was under the impression they prefer brackish water.

If i see any at LFS i'll get them though ive never seen them there.

do corys eat snail eggs? i really like corys and havent had any for years
>>
>>2062573
also, its a community tank with GBRs in - my limited reading on puffers suggests they might be problematic - any advice on this?
>>
>>2062566
correct
>>2062562
they look really nice when not zoomed in on
>>
>>2062573
pea puffers do not like any salt in their water. many other small puffers do but pea puffers are 100% fresh water
>>
>>2062573
Actually Dwarf Pea Puffers are fully freshwater, and salt can actually harm them pretty easily. They might nip at the fins of your GBRs a little bit, but the GBRs will probably just put them in their place, or just stay away from them altogether (pea puffers arent very fast swimmers). The only issue with them is they tend to only eat live food, or frozen bloodworms. So you may want to avoid getting to many and whipping out all your snails. I currently have a single pea puffer in a 4gal tank with many many pond snails and RCS, and havent ever feed the puffer in the 3 months I've had him. The snail population still seems to be going strong, and he's stopped killing RCS altogether (never saw him eat one, but some shrimplets disappeared). Still always has a fat belly though.

Huntin' snails all day erryday
>>
>>2062562
That's what I thought too...
>Cucumber aquarium.
>>
File: polka dot.jpg (33KB, 426x284px) Image search: [Google]
polka dot.jpg
33KB, 426x284px
Just picked up a 100g tank for my Burmese community set up I'm planning with Burmese border loaches, giant danios, some garras, a nice gourami and maybe some type of gudgeon. Any ideas for fish that'd do well in this sorta tank, or maybe some changes to my rough stocking idea that you guys think would be a good idea?
>>
Got 2 dwarf mexican lobsters, four red swordtails today. So far two sword tails are fucked up a bit but alive.

How do I keep future babies and the current ones from being fucked up all the time?

Will the swordtails learn their place/ territory and not go near the lobsters?
>>
P
>>
>>2062362
Threads dead Ed
>>
>>2062648
Get a red tail gourami
>>
>>2062667

Nope. Maybe you could get a tank divider and keep the crawdads on one side and the fish on the other.
>>
>>2062706
FUCK.

What will live with craw dads?
>inb4 nothing
>>
>>2062326
Mollies are adorable, fuck you
>>
>>2062710

>inb4 nothing

yup

they don't get along with anything
>>
File: 20160214_203013.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160214_203013.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Is this poor guy gonna live?
>>
>>2062728
God damn it.
>>2062729
Is one of my swordtails. Returning those asshats tomorrow.
>>
>>2062745
It looks fine.
Mine took awhile to adjust but now he's a happy fish going up and down in the tank.
>>
>>2062748
That is male. The crayfish fucked him up good. But he is swimming around now
>>
>>2062750

If you keep him AWAY from the crawdads and keep the water conditions absolutely perfect (zero ammonia, zero nitrite), he might live. He might even make a full recovery (no guarantees though)

Lots of fish can regenerate their fins, given ideal water conditions.
>>
>>2062750
He was lucky. Next time the crawdad is going to kill him.
>>
>>2062573
>>2062577
Pea puffer with GBR probably isn't a good idea. I don't think cories will eat snail eggs, since they're coated in that tough slime. Is the tank big enough for a school of pygmy chain loaches? They're supposed to be fairly peaceful as long as you keep a large group of them, like six plus.
Or you could drop a slice of cucumber in overnight and pull it out along with a bunch of snails, then repeat until theyre manageable.
>>
File: 3530826921_5facf7cf2a_z.jpg (73KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
3530826921_5facf7cf2a_z.jpg
73KB, 500x336px
>>2062691
Looks like a sassy black woman. He could name it Shebonquisha. Or Jynx.
>>
>>2062667
>dwarf mexican lobsters
You mean CPOs? I'm surprised. They're usually too slow and dopey to catch anything, let alone quick swimmers like swordtails.
>>
>>2062723
I buy them and throw them at passing cars
>>
File: _20160214_200714.jpg (3MB, 5042x2952px) Image search: [Google]
_20160214_200714.jpg
3MB, 5042x2952px
Hows that weekly water change going /an/?

I just got mine done
>>
>>2062802
>weekly water change

if i wait a month my nitrate still reads zero. over filtration and plants rule
>>
>>2062802
Why do your fish all look so fucking angry?
>>
Anyone have a hard time with the Eheim jager trutemp heater? I calibrated it and let it sit in the tank for 30 minutes before plugging it in per the instructions and watched it for an hour and nothing happened, except my temp dropping.
So i unplugged it and fiddled with it some more, light came on this time but it didn't shut off, I gave it an hour and then yanked the fucking thing and put my other cheap tetra heater.

Wasn't going to risk my fish dying from the cold or getting boil while i slept, at least the tetra heater kept my tank at 78.8 at all times, what a pain in the ass, I'm still looking for a new heater because I've heard the horror stories of the tetra heater malfunctioning.

Fluval E heater vs Aqueon pro
Which ones better?
>>
>>2062805
The tetras are always angry and the sailfin is semi aggressive
>>
>>2062824
The Fluval is supposed to be better, but I've been using an Aqueon Pro for about four years now with no issues whatsoever.
>>
>>2062274
>goa'uld fish
The fuck?
>>
My pleco that i had for 6 years just died after getting stuck in some cheap plastic piece of shit shipwreck that my GF bought me. I feel like crying right now. He was my favourite.
Godspeed buddy

Pic related, not mine but i had the same
>>
>>2062847
I feel bad for your gf.
She tries to do something to make you happy and it backfires horribly.

6 years is a pretty good run though. they start outgrowing tanks around that age.
>>
>>2062844
Compsaraia samueli, the pelican-billed knifefish. Apparently there were a handful of shipments of them from Peru in 2012 or something and then they were never seen again.
>>
>>2062824
buy a digital thermostat, they're $10-$12.

then it doesn't matter what brand heater you use, it'll always be dead on.
>>
>>2062852
>they were never seen again.
Of course not, they're currently sitting in the skulls of their "owners". That is one freaky looking fish.
>>
>>2062851
I know, she feels really bad about it cause she knows how attached i was to my pleco.
He was indeed outgrowing my tank anyway, so i like to think he's in a better place now, swimming around with lots of pleco friends and all the space he needs.
>>
>>2062805

Probably because he doesn't give them some food treats after he cleans. The fish all were like "the fuck is he doing, quit screwing up the place you asshole". Then he just leaves. I give them some blood worms after a change of water to help compensate for bothering there daily tank life.
>>
>>2062802
I did mine yesterday. My cichlids are chill about it, they even swim up right next to my hands. Tetras and ancistrus aren't super happy though.
>>
>>2062753
It is a brand new tank.

Do I put him with my 10g betta tank that is cycled
>>
>>2062757
Yeah.

They are all at the top of the tank when I last checked. Should be staying away
>>
>>2062775
Yeah. The swords were being retards and kept on swiming near
>>
>>2062890

That could work but you might want to put the betta elsewhere (not with the crawdads) until you can get a tank divider. A betta might see the weakened fish and attack it.
>>
>>2062862
They don't have souls
>>
File: image.jpg (404KB, 976x552px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
404KB, 976x552px
Hey /aq/ quick question for any breeders. I would like to breed some red cherry shrimp, the catch is.. I want to make them bigger. Nothing absurd just. Maybe an extra inch and a half. A pinky lengthed red cherry shrimp. How would you guys go about this? I'm thinking to get a 20 gallon for living/storing area and a few 5 gallon tanks for breeding/raising the young. Then feeding the small guys to a betta.
>>
>>2062729
What happened to him?
>>
File: Fish 2016 028.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Fish 2016 028.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
Here's my new albino bristlenose pleco I had previously mentioned. It's hard to get a good picture of her.

What sorts of vegetables can I give her? I tried blanched arugula, she didn't go for it. I know zucchini is an option.
>>
File: Fish 2016 035.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Fish 2016 035.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2062942
Not as hard as it is to get a picture of the kuhli loaches. They're scared of the camera.
>>
>>2062943
My lyretail angel Pitchfork before I set up the aquarium background. This is the attention-whore fish that kept swimming directly in front of my camera. I've had a lot of success keeping angelfish with the neon tetras so far, they completely ignore each other, but they're still small.
>>
File: Fish 2016 005.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Fish 2016 005.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2062949
And of course I dropped the pic. Last one, I promise.
>>
Is there a good way to make sure that my kuhli loaches get some food instead of my tetras horning it all down before it even gets to the bottom.
>>
>>2062953
Do you soak the flakes to make them sink faster? I put flakes directly in the filter output so that they're pushed down quickly. Kuhlis also like algae tablets, which tend to sink pretty fast.
>>
>>2062949
I keep my angelfish with cardinal tetras. Prettier than neons, a bit hardier, and they grow big enough that even aggressive scalare will leave them be.
They can be a bit nippy if any other fish gets sick though. I suspect they killed my old ancistrus by eating his fins after he got sick, so I keep a better eye on them now.
>>
>>2062943
Most fish are.
Everything that lives in my pond disappears as soon as I pick up the camera.
>>
>>2062896
Got a breeding net. Ill just put the sword in there
>>
>>2062942
Feed the fish at night,when no lights are on.

Get driftwood or an oak branch for her to chew on. Even from outside, just give it a whack and a rinse.
I think most of their nutrition comes from aufwuchs, so add sticks and leaves. Just a couple dry crispy leaves and she will eat them after the bacteria form.
You can grow plants in the tank if it's an amazon sword. and she'll eat it as it decays.
>>
Do you think a lfs would take a fish I got from petco?

a baby clown loach came stuck inside the wood I got from petco. I saved him from petco, meme is real. no fucking way I can keep clown loach though
>>
>>2062997
>stuck inside the wood
what
pics or it didnt happen
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2709px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2709px
>>2063002
I don't mean genuinely trapped
but the hole inside the wood goes further and gets smaller and I guess the little guy was hanging out in there when the guy gave me the wood. He's in it right now

dumped the wood out into the sink and there he was
>>
>>2062953
Yeah get rid of the tetras. Tetras are shit tier anyway.
>>
>>2062942
Hmm based on its size they're impossible to sex at that size until they're full grown and start showing bristles.
>>
File: Fish 2016 017.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Fish 2016 017.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2062990
My tank is pretty well-planted, with driftwood. I had just heard that they should get some supplemental veggies. Would it eat the dead leaves of the java fern or anubias? I don't have Amazon swords, but I did recently pull a mass of java fern out of the sand to tie to new driftwood, and there are plenty of dead java leaves hanging out.

I know I said no more pictures, but I think the pleco's neat-looking.
>>
>>2063028
Yeah, it's just a guess, I'm not worried about being wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2379x3172px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2379x3172px
Hissss water snek
>>
File: Fish 2016 032.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Fish 2016 032.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2063031
Water sneks aint scare of no thing.
>>
>>2063029
I have a non albino one in my 55 gallon. He was at an inch when I got him. So small. Now he's 1.5 inch with some gold edging around his tail which is really nice.
>>
>>2063034
I'm really fond of plecos in general, but this is my first. My father had one (I think a common pleco) when I was a kid that grew to be well over a foot, but not quite two.
>>
Hello /aq/

I've been thinking about getting a 5 gallon tank and put a dwarf puffer fish in it.

Is it true that I can put a bunch of pond snails, some plants and both snails and puffer will thrive just fine?

I'm asking this because I travel alot and am usually away from home for 1-3 months at a time.

Will this idea work if the filter and heater are working fine or will I comeback to a dead tank?
>>
>>2063035
Correction: I think it only grew slightly over a foot, and my child-brain exaggerated it. Still, it was a big fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2063033
Hisss
>>
>>2063036
You have to do it right, and do it very very carefully. I'm the person your refering to, and you have to really let the pond snails grow. Algae growth is what you want. Algae to feed your snails, which feed your puffer. I let my tank cycle for a month with pond snails in it, then planted the hell out of it, and let it sit for another whole month, and by the time i could see about 50 snails at any given time, I introduced the puffer. In order for the puffer to thrive, the snails have to be thriving even better
>>
>>2063036
If you're away that long at a time you probably shouldn't do it. Anything can go wrong in a tank that small very very very quickly. You'll have to keep up on weekly if not bi weekly water changes from the fish shit and all the dead snail matters and if that doesn't kill him and bad heater will cook everything. At least you'll have hot soup to come back to.
>>
>>2063042
A puffer can thrive on snails but thriving isn't living. They will need more than snails for adequate nutrition and to do more than thrive which making them only thrive is a pretty shitty thing.
>>
Very important question for you /aq/, theoretically, how long could a Goldfish could survive in a man's ass if fed on a regular basis..?
>>
>>2063042
On paper it sounds simple enough. Plant stuff, let it grow, add snails, then add fish. Though it does sound like it's easy to fuck up. I saw some videos of a guy with a snail/shrimp tank that didn't change the water in 3 months and everything was alright in the tank.

>>2063044
I guess it is irresponsible to do that. I just figured I'd get a pet to liven up my new apartment.
>>
>>2063047
Not long. It would suffocate.
>>
>>2063054
Get a cat
>>
I want a aquagirl
>>
>>2063058
A cat would 100% die if I leave it alone for a month ahahahaha.
>>
>>2063054
Get a puffer, 30 gallon or more tank, and add plants, snails, and shrimps. The bigger the tank the less quickly things will go wrong and make sure to over filter. Feeding snails is okay in an aquarium setting they should really only be feed to keep the puffers beak trimmed. You could also get an autofeeder.
>>
>>2063061
Bowl of food, bowl of water, and litter box. Boom. Thank me l8r.
>>
>>2063045

thrive
THrīv/
verb
verb: thrive; 3rd person present: thrives; past tense: thrived; past tense: throve; gerund or present participle: thriving; past participle: thriven

(of a child, animal, or plant) grow or develop well or vigorously.
"the new baby thrived"
prosper; flourish

Thriving means it's doing very well. And what do you suppose I supplement? Frozen Bloodworms? yea, cuz those have a lot of nutrients. My particular build also has a large colony of RCS, and the puffer eats them every once in awhile too, although I've never really seen it. I've seen the puffer nibble on plants too, as well as hunting the tiny copepods like critters in my java moss.
>>2063054
Not really simple at all, and very easy to fuck up. I havent done a water change in a month, and everything is just fine, I just remove plant matter on a weekly basis. It's a balance that's hard to achieve
>>
File: BN eating broccoli.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BN eating broccoli.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>2062942
>>2063029
I've fed mine zucchini, broccoli, romaine, spinach, shelled peas, and nori. I tried carrots a couple times, but he didn't seem to like that as much.
>>
>>2063083
Well you keep letting him thrive instead of living. My fish will just be over here actually happy.
>>
>>2063089
What do you think the difference is between thriving and living? My aquarium gives him stimulation. He gets to hunt for his food all day, which trust me he loves to do. Yours has to waste his day doing nothing, just waiting til he can eat.
>>
>>2063066
No, cats can't live alone.
>>
>>2063036
>>2063054
You could try the same concept with cherry shrimp and a betta, but I wouldn't try anything like that in less than a 20 gallon if you can't supervise it regularly.
It's a lot easier to do with only inverts, but most people seem to find that boring.

>>2063066
I assume you're referring to the automatic feeder, but even then, it'd fill the litter box and shit all over the carpet.
>>
Just a heads up to people in the United States, Petco seems to be having a sale. Just got a metal aquarium stand for a 20long/29 for $30, which I really needed for the 20long I got from Pet Supplies Plus a couple weeks ago. I also got some 20lb bags of black sand.

There's free shipping codes and discount codes on retailmenot.com, in addition to a ton of stuff just being on sale.

I don't work for Petco.
>>
>>2063047
One hour.
>>
>>2063094
Top fucking kek. There's a reason I only keep predatory fish. Something you would never be able to do and keep them happy.
>>
File: clown loach hiding.jpg (1MB, 2128x2340px) Image search: [Google]
clown loach hiding.jpg
1MB, 2128x2340px
>>2062691
>red tail gourami
>20"
N-No thanks.
>>
>>2063106
stop talking out your ass, anon.
>>
>>2063112
I could literally throw your puffer in a can of peas and eat it.
>>
>>2062357
The barbs wont bother the pleco or tetras?
>>
>>2063116
well it is a pea puffer anon, it doesn't get that name for no reason.
>>
>>2063094
You're probably confused at the etymology.
Live = Survive, not die = Good
Thrive = Live very well = Extra Good
>>
File: IMG_20160215_124033.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160215_124033.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>2062551
>>2062557
I put one of these as the centerpiece of my new betta tank. It was sent as just a germinated bulb. It seems like there's a couple of plants (?) growing from the bulb that have started to send roots down into the substrate. Interesting plant. Pic related is after a couple of weeks.
>>
File: IMG_0185[1].jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0185[1].jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>2063123
I'm the one saying my puffer is thriving. your looking for this guy
>>2063116
>>2063106
>>2063089

>>2063124
This is my dwarf lily, after being in there for about a month or so, with super strong lighting, Co2, and actual soil.
>>
>>2063117
Always a possibility. Or get rid of the barb and get some other schooling fish like some Bala Sharks or corys
>>
>>2063117
Cherry barbs are really lax. Unless you're like me and you get a freakishly aggressive male. The females and the other male I had never bothered anything.
>>
no digging on the pond today, went out yesterday after temps of -8 an the ground was finally frozen a foot and a half down, digging was just too muh of a pan
>>
>>2063146
How deep are you planning on going?
>>
>>2063171
most of the pond will be 3 ft, some sections less, in the main section i may try to make a deep hole at 5 ft, im igging by hand so im not going to go crazy but 3 ft with slight water moment shouldn't freeze solid( ive only had 3 or more ft of ice once in the past 10-15 years ) going to sput yellow perch , some sort of pickerel ( ideally redfi n or grass but i will settle for chain if i ant find the ones i want ) and siome sort of catfish ( probably some white cats or bullhead ,
>>
>>2063174
5 feet should definitely be good, can't wait to see it man.
>>
>>2063180
i tried to dig yesterday, but 1.5 ft of frozen solid ground was a bit of an issue, i dont own a pickaxe currently, but my axe and sledgehammer worked alright for a while, digging in 5 degrees wasnt pleasent so i didnt stay out for long
>>
>>2063180
also 5 ft wont be a whole pond, it will proably just be one deep spot, that isnt very big even if i do have a total freeze i just catch more fish next year pond wont be pretty but il grow some fat fish
>>
File: Snapchat-7260025908165910025.jpg (642KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7260025908165910025.jpg
642KB, 1440x2560px
> there is an aquarium general on 4chan now
Based as fuck, i tried starting one years ago and got zero replies

Ive never tried a cichlid tank before and really want to start one but i love my shoal of 10 Dwarf Chainlink Loaches too much, is it a good idea keeping them all together?
Plus i remember trying to catch some candystripe loaches from a different tank and do not want to go through that ordeal again
Not sure what cichlids i will be going for yet but they wont be anything too big, just some interesting little ones i could breed

They are currently in a 180l > corner fluval venezia

Also are there any nanoshrimpfags around here?
>>
>>2063134
> bala sharks
Petsathome pls
>>
>>2063134
>Bala Sharks

Yeah, if you have a fucking pond.
>>
>>2063195
>>2063214
>le bala sharks get big maymay
fuck off retards, fish adapt to their tanks
>>
Friendly reminder not to reply to trolls.

>>2063188
The aquarium generals have been going at least since I started coming here a year and a half ago.
>>
>>2063230
Sure, why not keep a wels catfish in a fishbowl?
0/10 trolling
>>
>>2063188
those are super cute
>>
>>2063230
>fish adapt to their tanks

[citation needed]
>>
>>2063243
>The aquarium generals have been going at least since I started coming here a year and a half ago.
generals are against 4chan philosophy in a number of ways.

the only reason they survive is all the newfags don't know where they are and the oldfags have long since left.
>>
File: polka-dot.jpg (115KB, 750x512px) Image search: [Google]
polka-dot.jpg
115KB, 750x512px
>>2063188
Hello my fellow loachfag
The answer is loaches, always more loaches.
Also, try peacock gudegons if you can find them, cave dwelling and easy to breed pairing fish from Asia. Pretty much an Asian version of a dwarf cichlid.
>>
>>2062917
force extra oxygen into the water
all things grow bigger with higher oxygen saturation
>>
>>2063335
> le epic oldfag generals are bad meme
No one cares about your 4chan philosophy pops, if we did then we would all be talking about anigay
Generals are perfect for subjects such as this, no one wants to search for a single question thread that dies after 11 posts
>>
Where should a start with CO2? Is there stuff you wish you had known before you started using it? What kind of system did you get and how much did you spend on it?

I'm planning on starting a planted 20g soon and I've only done low tech thusfar.
>>
>>2063339
Hello loachbro, nice cloud botia
Funnily enough i used to keep peacock gudgeon, i had one that had an arrow instead of the usual spot next to its tail and was trying to breed him to get lots of arrow babies, but he died after a year and the rest followed soon after.
Had him with 3 females and couldnt get jack shit out of them

I think i wasnt mixing enough nutrients with my RO, now i use half treated tapwater/half RO
>>
>>2063357
I'm just saying you, dear redditfag, are the cancer that killed 4chan.

you hated reddit so you came here and made 4chan just like it.
>>
>>2063248
I have personal experience with this shit, anon. My dad kept Bala sharks in a ten gallon and they stayed small, and my aunt has kept goldfish in bowls for decades and they too stay small. It's not even slightly healthy for them, but there is truth in the statement that they won't grow bigger than the tank they're in. Animals become stunted if you try, just look at bowl goldfish or Chinese orphanage girls.
>>
>>2063362
Interested in loaches, just started another 20. Are their any interesting small loaches that would be happy in a 20?
>>
>>2063376
Kuhli loaches look like water snakes with bunny faces, get along with all other fish and inverts, and love to lie around in a school, under the shade of a plant or decoration.
>>
>>2063369
Yawn, you are a caricature of yourself 2bh lad
Ive only visited reddit maybe twice when a google search for dark souls builds brought it up
>>
Anyone know of any good websites to get good priced fish tanks? Looking for 20-35 gal
>>
>>2063388
The shipping is going to kill you and a hug possibility of it being cracked on arrival but if you're willing to look try eBay
>>
File: 1410016719966.png (74KB, 246x236px) Image search: [Google]
1410016719966.png
74KB, 246x236px
>That fish you've not seen for weeks and thought dead makes a reappearance
>>
>>2063214
You're thinking of red tail catfish
>>
>>2063402
What fish mane?
>>
>>2063379
Kuhlis have always been filter blockers that i only get to see when one dies getting stuck in the filter for me
>>
>>2063402
Every banjo catfish ever.png
>>
>>2063402
>>2063406
A catfish for sure.
Probably bumblebee jelly.
>>
File: image.jpg (573KB, 1935x2023px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
573KB, 1935x2023px
>>2063379
Hissss my water sssssnek. I want kuhlis but I'm down to one tank and not sure how'd they do with my delhezi. Don't kuhlis get a decent size?
>>
>>2063374
>I have personal experience with this
>anectodal evidence
>>
>>2063413
>Don't kuhlis get a decent size?
about 10cm, so not really. They'll make a good meal for the Polypterus.
>>
>>2063398
didn't think of that, ty
>>
>>2063413
>>2063418
Well, I never said that the other fish would get along with the kuhlis... They do stay kind of small, since they've got very long but narrow bodies, their footprint is a lot smaller than their size indicates, and they tend to be pretty lethargic.
>>
File: image.jpg (609KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
609KB, 3264x2448px
It won't really come out until feeding time. He was given to me by someone who was feeding them only algae wafers and he was the only survivor. I have a school of emerald corys but if I can ID him I will get him a school of his kind. All he does is hide till there's food while my other corys are all over the tank doing flips and shit.
>>
>>2063424
I wish I didn't give my 30 gallon away. My lfs has them for 1.50
>>
File: Corydoras_julii.jpg (858KB, 3395x2266px) Image search: [Google]
Corydoras_julii.jpg
858KB, 3395x2266px
>>2063425
Looks like a Julii cory to me.
>>
Overrated/ugly fish? I have to go with African cichclids.
>>
>>2063450
You don't get the appeal until you try them.
They're some of the most interesting fish you can have, in terms of behavior.
>>
>>2063452
I tried but I couldn't do it. I'm happy with my corys. Tons more personality.
>>
File: comet.jpg (68KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
comet.jpg
68KB, 800x533px
>>2063450
Goldfish and koi are the most overrated fish of all, especially by pondkeepers.
>>
File: image.jpg (456KB, 1343x1447px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
456KB, 1343x1447px
>>2063425
Here's a better image
>>
How do I keep my betta from eating everything? The fat fuck is getting to all the food before the others
>>
>>2063188
What kind of cichlids were you considering? I think smaller West African or South American cichlids would work better than African cichlids.

>>2063376
Kuhli or dwarf chain loaches would be best for a 20 gallon. The chain loaches are more interesting imo, butbtheyre harder to find and more expensive.
>>
File: cories.png (255KB, 720x373px) Image search: [Google]
cories.png
255KB, 720x373px
>>2063425
>>2063477
Either a trilineatus or a julii. I'm leaning toward the former. You can tell by the pattern on the head and the color, but it's hard sometimes. Trilineatus are a lot more common and are often sold as julii (eg >>2063428 is trilineatus), but if you can figure out which one it is and get more of the right kind, their behavior is going to be better/more natural.
>>
>>2063499
You could gently scoop him into a net during feeding time, but it's kind of a pain.
>>
>>2062274
Anyone here have any experience with flagfish and what they get along with? I'm getting conflicting information, of almost none at all or most similarly sized fish.
>>
>>2063514
Seconding trilineatus. I've seen Petco, Petsmart, and my lfs try to sell corys labelled "julii," but they're trilineatus every time.
>>
>>2062955
I usually feed frozen bloodworms, cyclops, or sinking micro pellets, so it's not that. I guess I'll look for some tablet type food that the other fish can't just scarf down. Thanks.

>>2063026
I like them all right. They're flame tetras, much more interesting than neons anyway. I might get rid of them in the future to make room for more kuhlis or some small hatchetfish, if I can ever find some.
>>
>>2063516
Will he get scared of me if I do that? He's really friendly right now and I don't want to fuck that up if I don't have to
>>
>>2063376
5 dwarf chains.

>>2063362
They need very, very small caves to breed apparently, they'll breed in the ends of hosepipes and stuff.
>>
>>2063520
I think I've only seen real julii cories for sale once. Not that I mind that much, their care is nearly identical and the fake ones are actually a bit better looking imo.
>>
>>2063523
I assume he comes to the surface when you go to feed them? I was thinking of bringing the net up from underneath him until the edges are above the water. Though that might still scare him.
Otherwise maybe getting some floating pellets for him and using a syringe to put food for the other fish directly into the middle or bottom section of the tank while he's distracted.
>>
>>2063514
Could it be a mix? It has the stripe on its eye
>>
File: c_cacatoides.jpg (20KB, 380x216px) Image search: [Google]
c_cacatoides.jpg
20KB, 380x216px
>>2063538
Possibly. I'm not familiar with any spotted cories that also have stripes on their eye, or how Corydoras hybridization works. It could also just be a natural variant of the pattern. I think you'll be fine if you get him some false julii to shoal with.

>that kek when search "corydoras hybrid" and get pic related on google
>>
>>2063538
There are hundreds of corydoras species, and many of them don't even have names yet. Trilineatus is the best guess, but it could be anything. Many of the species we do know about might actually be color variations of the same species.

Mixes are rare, but I believe a few cory species have been documented hybridizing in captivity.
>>
>>2063402
Fucking clown panaques and dwarf anchor cats, man. I see them once a month and I have 3 panaques and 8 cats.
>>
>>2063518
they get pretty nippy and are really fast so not much gets along with them
except maybe something that would bully them back
>>
>>2063543
that dank shoop. toppest kek
>>
>>2063407
Dude, block the fucking filter man. Either wrap some nylon hose around it, or shove some aquarium safe foam/sponge in there.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What is this little guy? I got him as a little tiny bugger but I still can't identify him (n00b aquarist, I know).
>>
>>2063636
some sort of molly or platy
>>
>>2063637
Okay, that's what I thought. I just didn't want to assume. Thank you.
>>
So if I wanted to theoretical connect multiple fish tanks like people do with hampsters how thick would the clear tubes have to be and what can I do to keep it clean?
>>
So, I have a 20 gallon community tank that I plan to move to a 55 gallon. I have a number of tetras (glowlight, black neon, neon), 4 panda cories, 3 albino cories, a lavender gourami, 3 mollies, 3 snails (will be 6-8 once I put my nursery snails in the 55), as well as Kuhli loaches and a pleco that I already have lined up for the new tank.

I can't get ghost knife fish because they eat snails, I can maybe get another lavender gourami but I don't want another one of those dickheads pestering my tetras, dwarf frogs need a shallower tank, crabs and crayfish also pose a danger to snails and tetras... I mean I could get other tetra species but I think that'd be boring. Suggestions?

I'm planning on planting the shit out of this tank and aquascaping caves and terraces, if that helps.
>>
File: 895284564794.jpg (143KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
895284564794.jpg
143KB, 1000x1000px
I've been adding aquarium salt to my freshwater tropical and goldfish tanks for years and I just recently acquired a 7lb box of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for free at my local fish store for being a "valued customer."
I really had no use for, considering I don't own a reef tank, but it was free.
It's specifically made for soft corals, invertebrates, and salt water tanks in general, but would there be any harm in adding a tablespoon or two into my freshwater tanks?
>>
>>2063646
Depends entirely on the size of the fish. If the fish are just in the tetra/molly range, then probably no bigger than a couple inches in diameter.

However, if you have bigger fish than that, such as a betta splendens, then you're probably gonna have to make it at least half a foot in diameter.
>>
>>2063662
Thanks I am planning on designing a tank system for when I move out of my current place in a year.
>>
>>2063649
Get a vampire shrimp, they get massive, some of them are/turn blue, and they are filter feeders.

Or thai micro crabs.

Also, look into killifish, they may get along with their potential tank mates.

Or a Betta imbellis, but make damn sure it's an imbellis (peaceful betta) rather than a splendens.
>>
>>2063649
Dwarf Puffer, bro!
>>
>>2063663
Best of luck anon! As for keeping the tubes clean, just make sure they are short enough, get some kind of aquarium safe flexible pipe cleaning thing, like those "snakes" plumbers use. Then simply attach an aquarium safe sponge onto one end that's of the right size. Bend it, insert it into the tube, and swishy swish away just before every water change.
>>
>>2063376
>>2063527
Dwarf Chains shouldnt be kept in any shoal under 7 maybe 6 2bh, the bigger the better
>>
File: Autism.jpg.png (73KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.jpg.png
73KB, 720x1280px
>>2063668
Thinking about something like this

I want to see the fish compete/flee with other species of fish.
If some are bothering others they can just go back to their tank and the others may try to take over their tank as well.
I also want to try and link the bigger tank so that the smaller ones can piss off the bigger fish then run away in tubes too small for the big fish.
Tl;Dr I want to watch the world burn underwater.
>>
>>2063667
>dwarf puffer
>all my other fish die from poison

I... No thank you.
>>
>>2063676
There's something not quite right with you, but still, some strange part of me wants to see you succeed.
>>
>>2063676
except a big fish will just swallow them whole
>>
>>2063665
I'll look into the shrimp and the imbellis. The killifish would be neat but there might be problems with the cories.
>>
>>2063684
I'll also look at the crabs
>>
>>2063679
puffers are only poisonous if you cut them up and eat them. Even then it's just the wild ones that are dangerous.
>>
I play with my fish with a laser pointer. Am I insane yet?

Also, it won't drive them crazy or anything, right? Are there other ways to keep my fish stimulated? I don't want them to be sad lumps.
>>
Someone here have a gulper catfish?
>>
File: Otocinclus-Affinis-04.jpg (90KB, 900x493px) Image search: [Google]
Otocinclus-Affinis-04.jpg
90KB, 900x493px
Are Otocinclus the cutest aquarium fish?
>>
My BASTARD bristlenose decided to dig himself under a rock and to the bottom of the substrate. The whole tank is flowing with dirt now.
>>
>>2063676
Retarded.
>>
>>2063773
>>2063773
No, cowfish are.
>>
>>2063450
Every "monsterfish" ever.
>>
>>2063778
It's because you're to incompetent to be able to keep even one anon. They're considered an actual responsibility.
>>
>>2063784
Not them, but I feel like a lot of them are just big ol' fuglies that just also happen to be expensive. If I'm going to break the bank on a tank, I'd like the fish to at least be flashy.
>>
>>2063805
There's some flashy monster fish. Like some cichlids that get huge and colorful. But I like ugly ass fish.
>>
>>2063808
Hey, you like what you like, no problems here.
>>
I was doing some light research on discus.

Every resource is pretty much like "rawrawrawr, the water must be immaculate". I have zero authority on discus but I am curious about how true this is, and a bit skeptical. There's so much heresay in this hobby without hard science to back it up. Obviously ammonia and nitrites are bad, but a stable and cycled tank should have neither, leaving only nitrates, which should be safe under a certain threshold.

Frankly I can't be bothered to do multiple water changes in a single week. In fact, I've become lazier and lazier about my water changes over time. My experience is that with my tank heavily planted, somewhat over-filtered, and with plenty of bottom feeders to do some cleanup, my water quality is stable, nitrates pretty much hover around 10ppm, everything looks healthy from what I can see. Even when livestock dies, my shrimp will clean up the remains in a few days.

But discus keepers have like, automated water changes, or do multiple water changes a week.

I kind of want to see how practical a low-maintenance discus tank can be. Low maintenance meaning bi-weekly or even monthly water changes.

Although to be honest, are discus not kind of boring? I peeped a couple of YouTube videos and they just seem to mosey around like pancake water-blimps. They look pretty, that's about it. Which makes the water changes seem even less appealing.

>>2063773
They're cute but I never see the fucks. I've only ever owned three at a time. It seems like they're a lot more active when there's a sizable school.
>>
>>2063765
>Am I insane yet?
Nah

>it won't drive them crazy or anything
IDK, I could see it potentially stressing them out. What is their behavior? If they're chasing the light, sounds like good exercise. If they're running from it or alarmed by it, could just be stress.

You're in a territory all on your own with this man
>>
>>2063816
They chase it or ignore it. I found a use for it, I can actually lead some of them to the algae wafer when they don't notice it. Even the kuhlis will chase it for a short distance, so now I can summon the horde and ensure none of the wafer will go to waste.
>>
>>2063821
>I can actually lead some of them to the algae wafer when they don't notice it.
Interesting.
>>
>>2063812
I like them because I'm ugly
>>
>>2063685
The gourami will probably nip at the crabs. Not a good idea.
>>
>>2063814
The farther removed the discus is from the wild, the hardier it is (aka the longer the generations have been captive bred). All of the stock you see in stored is going to be really far removed from wild stock, so they're far hardier than they were several years ago. If you're planning on breeding them, then yes, immaculate water is more or less necessary, but for simple maintenance the biggest hurdle is simply having easy access to soft water. If your tap is soft you're golden. If it isn't you have to fuck around with RO water and other such bs. I've also read that feeding exclusively bloodworms or meaty foods (as many people do) result in larger, more colorful fish, but that they are also more sensitive, and that a varied diet is better for their resilience. I don't know how much truth there is to that.
They have a niche kind of appeal that isn't going to jive with everyone. They'll recognize you, come up to the glass to greet you, and follow your finger around, but for the most part their appeal is simply that they're pretty.

>Otos
>It seems like they're a lot more active when there's a sizable school.
It's true. Unfortunately not many of us can support a 10,000 liter tank with 700 little algae eaters.
http://youtu.be/EOK5stRPq1E
>>
File: Tank.jpg (4MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
Tank.jpg
4MB, 5248x2952px
Thought I'd share a picture of my 20g planted tank
Ignore the breeder box in the top left, I'm growing some bamboo in it for another tank
>>
File: 20160216_172719_HDR.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160216_172719_HDR.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
Trying to start a 20gl, have a seeded sponge filter from a friend to get the cycle going till my canister filter comes in and a light he wasn't using.

Stole some of his plants and his"trash driftrood" and tried to make some sort of tree. May put dark substrate in the empty spot.

2 hours rinsing, 2 days left alone and a 50% water change and you still cannot see shit, fuck this sand.

Any ideas what I should put in it? I kind of like the tree look but hate the shit out of the sand.

Is a betta, 3-5 Cory's, and a few random shrimp a good comp?(if the betta doesn't eat the shrimp)
>>
>>2064137
Corys would be shit in there since they like being in groups of 6 or more and need something closer to 30+ gallons to thrive in.
On the other hand, you could get 10-13 pygmy corys in there.
If you really want a betta, you could, but you could get much more interesting fish in there, like celestial pearl danios with a trio of sparkling gouramis if your water is around 6.5 pH and you plan on heavily planting the tank.
>>
>>2064143
Corys prefer 4-6 minimum
>>
>>2064143
Shit, well we have a betta that's like 2 or 3 years old, wife got it for me for valentine's day but I don't remember what year but I was gonna toss him in there as a retirement home since I've read that 3 is "old"

How are pygmy corys different than normal ones other than the size? What types do I look for, or does it just say "pygmy cory" on the sign lol.

I'm not dead set on Cory's but I definitely want something bottom dwelling, active, and won't get picked on my a betta.
>>
File: 20160216_184641_HDR.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160216_184641_HDR.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
>>2064176
Also can you guys tell me what this plant is? The guy I got it from just shrugged.
>>
>>2064179
That's an amazon sword. Super easy to grow, and it will get big as all hell.
>>
>>2064137
20 gallon long is plenty big for a small school of corys. They will utilize every once of that tank. Mine are in a 55 gallon and they use every bit of it. Never see them rest.
>>
File: 20160216_200039.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160216_200039.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Hey, I bought 4 GBRs a few weeks ago, and so far 2 have died. I want to know what's causing them to die. Params are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, ~20ppm nitrate, and pH is 7.8. I suspect that the pH is to blame, but I'm not sure. Here's a pic of one that's not doing well at the moment. It's lost a lot of coloration and is hardly eating. The other one however is doing quite fine.
>>
>>2064198
Probably wild caught. Wild caught ones are not hardy at all or were sick from the store.
>>
File: 20160216_200114.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160216_200114.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2064198
Here's the other one. Tankmates are just three mollies and some fry. I have the lights on for 12 hours and off for 12, should I change that? The mollies have been in for around 2 months. Tank is 25g.
>>
>>2064200
Is that one sick? Is there any way to help it?
>>
>>2064198
>>2064203
>pH of 7.8
Probably that, rams need super soft water.
Also, they might've been harassed by the other two. Rams are territorial to their own kind and will attack each other.

The one doing well has some nice colour, he might be to blame, he seems to be the alpha male.
>>
>>2064198
They generally do better in soft, acidic water. Softness is flexible, but when I was keeping rams they did best in a pH of 6.0-6.4. I couldn't keep them alive over 7.2, even captive-bred. They also like it on the warmer side, around 82-85F.

On the less-quantitative side, they seemed to prefer a well-established, planted tank. I had a few pairs that I put in cycled bare-bottom tanks, and one pair that was put in a community tank that had been up and running for 18 months. The ones in the community tank are the only pair that bred consistently and they lived the longest. The bare-bottom setups had plenty of driftwood, clay pots, etc. for cover, and the parameters were otherwise identical.
>>
>>2064212
>>2064215
Alright I'll get something to lower the pH tomorrow and see what happens. I don't have any way of measuring the hardness, so I might pick up something for that also.

I did notice the male chasing everyone else, however he doesn't do that anymore.
>>
>>2064186
Awesome, I was thinking of buying one of the "starter packs" online for a 40-50g tank and just shoving everything I can get into this one and giving away the rest.
>>
So my lfs just got in some Habrosus corys and I'm thinking about getting some would they be ok in a 15-gallon with RCS and a school of micro rasboras?
>>
>>2064220
Peat moss in the filter is a good idea. It helps lower hardness and also the pH to around 6-7ish
>>
File: IMG_0205[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0205[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Shrimplets!
>>
What's wrong with my ghost shrimp?
>>
>>2064277
>Ghost Shrimp
>No picture
Spooky
>>
>>2064279
>inb4 he posts a picture of a cloudy/white ghost shrimp and everyone tells him it's gonna die
>>
File: mr.loach.jpg (2MB, 3544x1952px) Image search: [Google]
mr.loach.jpg
2MB, 3544x1952px
I adopted this big weather loach and got him some little golden friends. He pushes them around too much, but I feel like it's better than having him by himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmi027snFPA
>>
>>2064273
>>2064309
Dawwww
>>
>>2064212
>he
that is clearly a female. the central blue spot has iridescent scales instead of solid blue
>>
>>2064137
The water will clear up on it's own. It'll happen a lot faster once you have a filter running.
The stocking is fine. You could do a dozen pygmy/dwarf/dainty cories, or 6 or so medium sized ones like panda or three-lined.

>>2064143
A 20 long is more than adequate for most small and medium cories.
>>
>>2064326
Uwot?
The black spot is entirely black, indicating a amle. Females have blue scales mixed with the black. Rams have no central blue spot, I have no idea what you're on about.

He also has the right fins to be male, not female.
>>
>>2064309
Weather loaches are so adorable. They're like giant kuhlis

Next tank in a long time from now when I upgrade to a 75 gallon, I'm getting a trio of Dojo Loaches with a planted tank all to themselves. Nothing rooted in the substrate of course, all stuff like Java Fern, Anubias, and moss superglued to driftwood and rocks
>>
>>2064323
Derrrrr
>>
File: 20160216_231610.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160216_231610.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Update to the tank I posted 1-2 weeks back. Added a multicolor led, added more plants, up to 2.5w per gallon for plant lighting. Added in 7 rainbowfish, 4 species.
>>
Anyone knows if White Cloud Mountain minnow/tanichtys are ok with Clown Loaches?
Cause I had quite a lot of snails on my aqua for a while now, and it seems like loaches are a good way to get all the snails.
>>
Is there anything I can do with floating Riccia so it isn't blown all around my tank making a mess?

I bought some to grow on the bottom of my tank but I didn't realise it is supposed to be a floating plant which tends to die underwater without co2.
>>
File: OPBRpeO.jpg (699KB, 1859x1046px) Image search: [Google]
OPBRpeO.jpg
699KB, 1859x1046px
Here's Mr. Mango in quarantine, showing off his distinctive dark throat breeding colors
>>
>>2064412
Clown loaches grow huge and are tropical
White clouds are cold-water

If your tank is big enough, weather loaches will eat snails for you.
>>
>>2063403
http://www.tropical-fish-keeping.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Bala-Shark-Balantiocheilus-melanopterus-Catch.jpg

yea off course, the red tail cat is the only fish in the world which grows big! just look at this bala, I'm sure you could fit it in a 5 gallon if you got it when it was young enough, after all - fish only grow after their tanks :^)
[spoiler]kill yourself or read up.[/spoiler]
>>
Why are ghost knives so dumb? They're cool little fish, but fuck they're braindead.
>>
Would some Danios or some White Cloud Mountain Minnows be better for schooling fish in a river aquarium?
>>
>>2064471
I have a school of danios right now and the larger ones are assholes. I think white clouds would be more peaceful.
>>
>>2064458
You should honestly think about considering suicide if you took that bait.
>>
>>2064471
I have white clouds and really like them, cool to watch then display at each other. I have never seen them interact with any of my other fish.

>white clouds just stay at the top of the tank and keep to their own kind in a non-aggressive way
>>
>>2064471
White clouds are great but in my experience do better in much cooler water than most other fish
>>
File: 20160216_231801.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160216_231801.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2064394
>>
So my new betta is super aggressive but I'm not giving up on the idea of putting shit in the tank with him. 10g with just a betta is just too boring.

he currently spends all day hitting the nerite snail. Are white clouds fast enough to actually run from a betta? I feel like maybe if I had some kind of school of fish in there he'd decide that some part of the tank is his territory and just stay there. I've seen bettas do that before
>>
>>2064544
Your best bet with that tank is to remove the betta and move everything around. You then wanna add in the new fish before the betta. Moving stuff around supposedly breaks up existing territories.
>>
File: 51d2G3tteLL[1].jpg (55KB, 481x500px) Image search: [Google]
51d2G3tteLL[1].jpg
55KB, 481x500px
Oh shit I just found out this thing exists. Anyone have any familiarity with it?
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>tfw you find a Fluval spec v for $40
>>
>>2064636
Low quality. You're better off buying a tank, regulator, and an active reactor
>>
>>2064655
i don't see what's low quality about it, it has overwhelmingly positive reviews everywhere

it's also $24.99 for a full setup
>>
>>2064657
>>2064636
also whats the deal with the giant diffuser? why is it a tank thing instead of a little glass and ceramic thing like I always see
>>
>>2064636
Seems fine for a tiny tank. You don't have to buy the Fluval cartridges, which means you should only spend about $1 per cartridge.

If you have a tank bigger than 15 gallons, or multiple tanks, you're better off doing what >>2064655 said.
>>
>>2064664
I don't want to use the huge diffuser thing I want to use a standard glass/ceramic diffuser. One of those and a bubble counter runs about $17. So effectively I'd be buying the fluval kit simply for the brackets and regulator valve. About a $40 total cost, shipping included, to get up and running

It looks like most regulator valves cost more than $25 by themselves, so the fluval really seems to be the best price?...

I already have carbonate buffer and stuff, I'm ready to get started on this. Just installed some microanthetum and I'm sure it will die in like 2 days without co2. Just dosing some flourish excel for now.
>>
File: IMG_20160217_162354350.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160217_162354350.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Anyone have any suggestions to how I can improve my budget tank?
For plants I have:
>java moss and fern
>Anubais
>>
>>2064678
Get rid of the goldfish and buy something that won't outgrow your tank.
>>
>>2064678
No reason to use an airstone. Get http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A1387-EDGE-Pre-Filter-Sponge/dp/B002LL32RY to do the job you are using a rag to do. As other guy said, goldfish actually grow to gigantic size and are not appropriate for a 10g

it needs a vertical rock/branch element.
>>
>tfw aquaponic setup tilting over from weight and you spend tons of money to revamp
>tfw after set up Black Friday is in like 3 weeks
>tfw could have gotten 120 gallon tanks for the price of 70 gallon tanks

Also how do you guys keep your plants in the tank anchored and not constantly ripped out ;_;
>>
>>2064678
get some fast growing plants for your background. they're pretty cheap at stores, and everybody who has a planted tank would be willing to give you trimmings probably.
also listen to this guy:
>>2064683
>>
File: tanky tank.jpg (802KB, 1800x1063px) Image search: [Google]
tanky tank.jpg
802KB, 1800x1063px
btw here's my tank that i'm talking about adding co2 injection to.

As you see my swords are dying again. The teeny tiny one up front had 2 living leaves remaining. It just seems like no matter waht you do, you cannot keep aquarium plants other than java fern alive without co2.

I'm starting to feel hesitant about that fluval mini co2 system. Because if I have to manually turn it on and off every day, then that means I have to put the little dial on the exact same setting every day, and that sounds irritating/difficult. I imagine for this type of setup I'd need less than 1 bubble per second.
>>
>>2064702
my swords grow like crazy and I just use that seachem liquid co2 stuff. One of my swords looked like shit so I cut all the leaves off and they grew back looking great
>>
>>2064716
weird. i haven't been using the excel for a while, mostly because the fucking bottle is impossible to open, wtf. had this same problem with 2 bottles.
>>
>>2064412
Why not get assassin snails?
>>
>>2064420
You could try wrangling as much of it into a large single mass as possible, then tie it to a suction cup or use a shit ton of super glue, then attach the suction cup to the back of the tank at water level.

If there's enough of it, you won't even see the suction cup, especially since you can get aquarium grade ones that are barely bigger than a quarter. So, in essence, it will "float" in one spot until you get bored and decide to move it.
>>
>>2064530
Your tank is gorgeous broski, are you the same anon that made your background yourself entirely out of foam? If so, how do you stop it from soaking up the aquarium water and leeching all kinds of chemicals into the tank?
>>
>>2064702
>As you see my swords are dying again. The teeny tiny one up front had 2 living leaves remaining. It just seems like no matter waht you do, you cannot keep aquarium plants other than java fern alive without co2.
False. Plenty of plants are very easy to grow without CO2, but you need a good substrate. If all you're using is sand, of course you won't be able to grow a heavy root feeder like amazon swords. Get some root tabs.
>>
>>2064687
If the plant is completely removed from the substrate then just get an aquarium safe weight, or a decently sized rock that won't dissolve in the water. Super glue or tie the weight to the base of the plant near/underneath the roots. Then just bury the roots, rock and all.

But you should research first, are your plants really being ripped out? Or are they a species that shouldn't be buried, and the parts underneath the substrate are rotting away?
>>
>>2064821
I'll see the fish pull on it every once in a while, moving rocks, etc
>>
>>2064825
How big is the fish? If it's really big and strong then the only way to really keep those plants in place is to get a massive rock/log and super glue the plants to that, low enough that if you bury the rock/log then the roots will also be buried.

Of course, if the fish is strong enough, they will probably just tear the plant in half.

So what species do you have?
>>
>>2064832
Since I'm honestly just starting out, its a few golfish and 3 koi which grew pretty fast
>>
>>2064838
>3 koi

What.

Anon, why. Those fish belong in ponds. Not aquariums.
>>
File: 20160122_013548.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160122_013548.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2064811
Yes that is the background I made myself, mostly out of foam.
Essentially all of the materials are inert and have nothing to leach once cured.
The pink or blue insulation foam aka polystyrene does not absorb moisture.
However, the foam is completely covered in drygard (drylok is a similar brand) which is a concrete sealer, so there is no fear of absorption anyways.
And for colors on the background, the drygard was mixed with concrete colorant which is also inert.
Other than that 100% silicone for adhesion.
The only downside to the background is no rasping fish because they can eat through it, so no pleco or loaches.
I just stocked mine today with rainbow fish and 1 albino rainbow shark.

>pic related test fit
>>
Getting a 350l soon for my loaches, thinking of a large, solitary, centrepiece fish.

So far, I've been attracted to either the red tailed shark, or the rainbow shark, but I'm not sure which to get. I've heard the red tail is more aggressive, but smaller, while the ruby is more calm, but bigger. Can anyone confirm this?
>>
>>2064840
Is there any specific reason for this?
>>
>>2064850
Get like 6 red tails
>>
File: dis gon b b8.jpg (27KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
dis gon b b8.jpg
27KB, 625x626px
>>2064852
Sure m8
>>
>>2064852
Him and the guy with 3 koi can hang out.
>>
If Bettas can't be kept in a small tank, what can? I have a friend that insists on buying a five gallon tank and wants a "cool" fish
Mind you, he is big on salt water tanks, so he *should* know what he's doing
>>
>>2064813
>root tabs

API ones have piss poor reviews and flourish ones have copper. I dunno what to do
>>
File: 20160217_200920.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160217_200920.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
M. Splendida Inornata, my new favorite species.
>>
>>2064873
A shrimp.
>>
>>2064874
You know what else has piss poor reviews? Growing a root feeder in nothing but sand. A shitty root tab is better than no root tabs.

For what it's worth, I've used Flourish root tabs in tanks with cherry shrimp, so the amount of copper seems to be negligible.
>>
>>2064879
I won't buy API root tabs after reading the reviews. A non-functional product that kills my fish is indeed worse than nothing. Did you know fish are more alive than plants, by the average person's estimation? I don't care if the plants die.

And I won't put anything with copper in. So I guess maybe I'll just ditch swords. I still think they'll grow just fine with co2.
>>
>>2064873
How small?
>>
>>2064873
a betta can be kept in a 5g just fine.
>>
>>2064873
Heterandria formosa.
>>
>>2064882
Five gallons
Could he go with 5 tetras? They have a low bio load, but they need to school
>>
>>2064886
A betta is perfectly fine in a 5gal tank.
Tetras require a lot of space, but you can try killifish, snails and shrimp.
>>
>>2064636
I have one that came with my Fluval Flora. It works well, but the diffuser is ugly and bulky, and the cartridges are expensive and they only last about ten days. I used mine until I ran out of the cartridges it came with. If you have a brewery or bicycle shop nearby you should be able to get 16g threaded CO2 cartridges for a lot cheaper than the Fluval replacements, but those will run out slightly more quickly.
All in all, it's cheaper and easier to maintain a conventional setup if you can handle the startup costs, but that one will work for a small tank up to about 10 gallons.

>>2064662
>>2064667
It's a bell style diffuser. They work well, they're just bulky. The anon with the dwarf puffer 4 gallon uses one he made himself. If you tried to use a ceramic/glass diffuser with those tiny CO2 cartridges it'd constantly fizzle out as the pressure in the can dropped and you'd have to readjust it throughout the day, which could result in a lot of pH swings. You'd also probably go through one cartridge every day or two.
>>
>>2064420
Wrap it up in some bug netting and let it grow through the mesh. Like those stupid floating moss balls they sell at Petco, but less stupid.
>>
>>2064900
>You'd also probably go through one cartridge every day or two.

nowhere near that, they last 2 weeks to a month of standard use based on what people have said.

why just type shit when you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about? it's people like you that make this hobby far more difficult, throwing fucking ignorant misinformation out
>>
File: 1202_300_226_90.jpg (7KB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
1202_300_226_90.jpg
7KB, 300x226px
>>2064851
Yes.
>>
>>2064874
Osmocote+ root tabs are dirt cheap on eBay and work great.
>>
>>2064904
Those cartridges are about as big as your dick, like three inches. And just like your dick, they aren't going to spew forth a constant stream for two weeks to a month, dillweed. You'll need something at least as big as your puffy black asshole for that.
>>
New thread:
>>2064954
>>2064954
>>2064954
>>
>>2064433
pretty luxurious quarantine. any reason for no barren empty tank?
>>
>>2064462
in my experience they are very intelligent and by no means "little"
they do have more individuality than most fish so yours might be dopey
dont forget they're blind so they bump into stuff in new environments
>>
File: my quarantine tank.jpg (69KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
my quarantine tank.jpg
69KB, 960x540px
>>2064961
>barren empty tank
Seems silly to put an animal into a purposefully stressful environment for the sake of making sure that it's not susceptible to illnesses that can be caused by stress.
>>
>>2064879
make diy osmocote+ tabs. works so good and only needs to be replaced maybe thrice a year
>>
>>2062907
At what point between mudfucking slime lizards to rats to monkeys did humans exclusively acquire souls
>>
>>2064736
I don't have CO2 and only dose Excel (if I remember to). My sword plant is an overgrown piece of shit. It also has multiple runners with baby plants growing off of it. It basically took over my tank and I'm actually thinking of getting rid of it.

The only way I can see having trouble with it is if your lighting is weak. Your lighting looks decent in your pic (although it's awfully white). But even then I'd just expect slow growth, not death.

Which leads me to wonder if your plants are getting any nutrients. Are there even any fish in the tank? How often are you feeding your livestock?

Whatever the case, you really shouldn't need CO2 to grow a sword plant, and my tank is a jungle despite being low-tech.

You might have better success with a dirted tank and a tank with plenty of livestock to feed. If you're using inert sand, you either need to use root tabs, or dose dry ferts, or use liquid ferts like Seachem Flourish which are really expensive.
>>
>>2064905
I've already taken in account for fish getting big, I never planned on keeping them in a 5 gallon tank expecting them to stay an inch.
When I was asking for specific reasons I should have asked for something other than the obvious size answer
>>
>>2065049
Just after we left fish behind.
>>
>>2065137
>all animals after evolutionarily branching off of fish have souls
>>
>>2065380
Exactly. This way Melissa doesn't need to worry about keeping her seven goldfish in a vase and replacing them weekly. They're just objects, they don't have souls.
>>
>>2065133
They shit a lot and usually have a propensity for eating plants, but other than that not really.
>>
>>2065453
Are there any plants that can survive fish bullying?
But yeah right now I can't do anything other that aquariums until I have a house I can build something bigger for an outside aquaponic.
>>
>>2064807
Cool advice bro, thanks
>>
>>2064845
What color is it now?
>>
>>2065532
Amazon Sword is big enough that it will take a good while for the fish to eat it down to the point it can't survive. Other than that you're probably limited to ones that reproduce too quickly in the tiny areas behind the heater and such, like duckweed. But you don't want duckweed.
Consider plastic plants, some of them look good.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.