Hi /an/ in need of advice.
My gf has a mini rex, she got a month or so ago. We took it for a health check when we got it and the vet said everything was fine.
A couple of days later we noticed the rabbit was drooling so it went to the vet who said it was an abscess which could be drained for £150 plus 50 for anti-biotics/painkiller etc.
The vet then suggested after a follow up check that she see a teeth specialist. The specialist quoted £750 and said that included draining the abscess which, apparently, hasn't been drained.
He then said that after this there was a strong chance of ongoing dental work and it might be better to put the rabbit down (after spending another 150 on a blood test and some cream).
We're not sure what to do and what to do given the vets' conflicting stories (fine/abscess/terminal). The rabbit is starting to eat whole foods again using her teeth and is generally bearing up. I've no experience of rabbits but looking at the rabbit now I can't help think it's unethical to put it to sleep. Is there something that can be done or are we just delaying the inevitable?
feed it with stuff that makes it grind it's teeth and you shouldn't put it down unless you can't control the bunnies teeth growth which you can by feeding it the right things
cabbage (only like a leaf or two a day)
carrots (only in small amounts)
always give it at least three of the things each day!
You NEED a source of vitamin C in a guinea pigs diet. They cannot synthesise their own, and without it they will get scurvy and die.
You need guinea pig pellets too. Guinea pig food will have added vitamin C.
Like rabbits, they need timothy hay available at all times.
So it's mainly making sure you have guinea pig pellets and not rabbit ones so they get the vitamin C they need, otherwise it's pretty similar.
Thanks all for the replies. She's always had everything she needs in terms of hay, she's well looked after. From the sound of its a congenital problem and she'll always be in pain.
At first I thought the vet was just adding to the bill to suit themselves and that she could be saved. On reflection I think we've been in denial about making a hard choice.
I have to agree with this poster to some extent. I feel the vet is probably offering a chance to spend £1000 (the new figure) for the operation plus ongoing sedation and teeth cutting in order to keep the rabbit alive.
While we'd be happy to spend 1000+ with a good prognosis it seems cruel to have her go for surgery and go through all that when she's struggling to get weight back on.
Blood test result is in today. If it's bad it makes the (awful) decision easier at least. If not, I still can't see any other way.
I've rung RSPCA and various animal shelters and the advice has been clear; don't keep an animal in pain. While she seems fine, her condition is set to deteriorate, the only question now seems to be when not if to take the plunge.
Have you done some of your own research online and talked to people experienced with rabbits on rabbit boards?
My experience with 90% of vets has been complete BS.
My dog was diagnosed with "terminal lung cancer" by a vet. It was all bullshit--he didn't have cancer and he lived five years after his "terminal" diagnosis.
Cook him and brag about eating a 1000£ rabbit. Honestly, who spends that kind of money on a stupid rabbit, you can have a new one for 10£, unless you developed some faggot bonds with a stupid rat ofc.
Kinda this even tho he is a faggot
OP dont waste so much money on it. I had a rabbit too and the vets wanted to do the exact same shit as yours. My mom aint smart and shes much too kind so she wasted tons of money. Its just a rabbit feed it well and see how it goes.