[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to buy a Chinchilla

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Chinchilla_lanigera1.jpg (746KB, 1804x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Chinchilla_lanigera1.jpg
746KB, 1804x1200px
I want to buy a Chinchilla. Any advice?
>>
>>2059186
Yeah. Don't. It requires way too much care, you will fuck up and it will suffer. Get a hamster.
>>
>>2059198
hamsters are nocturnal and shit pets.

OP, just get some rats. they're nocturnal too but will easily adapt to your schedule
>>
>>2059233
>implying chinchillas aren't nocturnal
>implying OP doesnt want one just for bragging rights
>>
>>2059254
>>2059198
>>2059233
Get a fucking guinea pig. They're extremely easy to take care of and happy all the time.
>>
Friend had a male one growing up. They'll howl in the middle of the night. Some sort of mating call... sounds like a cross between bark and chew toy squeak.

Very high maint. Be sure to give them dust baths every week. Those little poop pellets will be all over your house. Expect to find them up to 4 years after the pet expires or is given away.
>>
File: 1110263[1].jpg (37KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1110263[1].jpg
37KB, 400x400px
Chinchillas are very smart, and very clean. They like to have a dish in their cage that they use as a pee toilet. Not one of those litter box corners, because they like to keep their fur clean, but a ceramic dish they can sit on like a toilet. They also prefer those rabbit cages with the metal floor so their poop fall through to the tray below.

It's best if you get a baby because otherwise they can be rather skitterish. Males love to hump everything... including your arm... so get him a stuffed toy waifu :)
>>
>>2059301
My chins never make noise. The only time I ever heard one make a sound was when I grabbed him out from under some furniture and he screamed... like a person... scary as hell. O_O
>>
They are so much work. If you dont have an hour every night to devote to letting them out of their cage then dont get one. If you're convinced that you can, you should get two, they like to have companions.
>>
>>2059303
don't get that kind of cage their feet are small and could get stuck
>>
I have a chinchilla OP, what do you want to know? Also you really should get 2 unless you're NEET and planning on spending many hours a day with it. You will still have to give them floor time for at least an hour a day, though.

>>2059303
This is not a good idea. Their feet are sensitive and can't stand on bars like that for long periods of time, and their feet are tiny and can slip through.

Their poop is the worst smell as far as herbivore pets I've ever seen. Usually herbivore shit doesn't smell too bad, but chinchilla shit smells awful. It was so bad I thought something was wrong with him
>>
https://youtu.be/zeZbqXQiGLA

Watch it, it's about chinchilla care
>>
>>2059198
Also they can't be handled much.
You can't cuddle or even really pet it without risk of putting it under huge amounts of stress.
They're a look but don't touch pet.
>>
They live in a very cold, dry environment at high altitude. You'd have to keep his cage nice and cold all year around. Plus I heard at a pet shop I go to they bathe by rolling around in very fine dirt you'd probably have to pay a fortune for.

Very high maintenance and fragile pets. Look into rats or Guinea pigs instead. They can enjoy being handled and are much hardier/cheaper to keep happy.

If you're still interested in chinchillas, read up. A good rule for new pets is that you should plan AT THE VERY LEAST a month in advance - read everything you can about them. What do they eat? Are they social? What conditions should I keep them in? How long do they live? Do they like being handled? Only when you know enough to not see any new general info on care guides should you consider buying it. Most exotics are fragile as hell and you can't depend on pet stores to give you proper advice or even safe containment. Remember, those fucks sell half-gallon fish bowls to the general public! They don't give a damn about the animal's wellbeing as long as you buy it.
>>
>>2059357
My chinchilla was essentially odorless... I'm >>2059303 and he was really clean all the time. He preferred the wire bottom cage because it kept him away from his poop. He also would pee in his food dish until I gave him a separate dish to pee in (his toilet). I thought that was strange since you'd think he'd be happy the pee went through the bars too, but nope, he wanted a toilet. His poop was like tiny guinea-pig poop. Not smelly, but he could poop a mountain. I fed him fresh grass from the back-yard. Maybe that's better for them than store bought grass pellets?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.