[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Puppy Take-Home Age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
I know /an/ is completely rabid about how puppies must be 10-12 weeks before you bring them home, or your puppy will get aids/join a gang/beat up hookers/become a beat up hooker/etc ...

Seriously, why? If you google this subject, every single result says 7-8 weeks. Every single one. Go check. I'll wait.

What makes /an/ such experts on this, and the rest of the internet wrong (excluding Yahoo Answers on grounds of retardation)?

I found ONE thing - the fear imprint period puppies go through from 8-10 weeks. Every thing else about waiting longer than 8 weeks is all negative. And everything about the 8-week mark is completely positive and universally shared.

Let's hear it /an/. I got a puppy due for pick up from the breeder at 8 weeks old around Valentine's day. Tell me why I should offer to pay extra for them to hold him for 4 more weeks and I will do it.

pic unrelated
>>
>>2054036
I don't think that that many people seriously advise 10-12 weeks.
The reason why you wait at least 8 weeks though is partly for physical development and partly because it's a period of socialization where among many other things the puppy learns that hard biting fucking hurts and that you shouldn't do it
>>
>>2054036

8 is minimum, 10-12 can sometimes have benefits for the socializing of your pupper with other dogs and people as well.
>>
>>2054048

Should add, however, that if you are a good owner and will be doing work to socialize pupper, 8 weeks is fine.
>>
>>2054048
>8 is minimum, 10-12 can sometimes have benefits for the socializing of your pupper with other dogs and people as well.

This is half truth. You need a DAMN good breeder who will take that puppy, alone, and introduce it to new people, things, textures, smells, etc. Every day. At least 30 minutes. That's what needs to happen after 8 weeks. If the breeder can't/won't, or you don't trust them to, then get the puppy and do it yourself because you can do a better job.

The dog aspect is pretty much done and settled before 8 weeks. After 8 weeks, it's all about human socialization or they will not bond properly when the time comes.
>>
Sure, they're not gonna die if you take them home at 8 weeks, but it's definitely not ideal. I just don't see why you guys can't wait another two weeks for your puppy for the sake of socialization. it's not gonna bond to you any better, it's not gonna be any cuter; you're just knowingly letting your pup miss out on important socialization.
>>2054056
Who the fuck would be supporting a breeder who can't even socialize their own dogs? That's not a "DAMN good breeder" it's a decent fucking breeder. I think you're too acclimatized to BYBs and hobby breeders.
>>
>>2054036
>>2054037
This.

I brought home a 3 week old pup who got shunned by his mother(her first litter) and he needed to be fed and properly weened off of the tit so me and my wife took him in. He had this problem for a good bit but we have safe words that we have taught him that let him know he is playing too rough and biting too hard. It also isn't that hard to teach him either. Every time that bastard bit me too hard I'd bite his ass right back and after a few days he got the picture.
>>
>>2054036
>12 weeks
Wasn't that for cats?

Anyway, later is better if it has a good home, family is a nice thing.
>>
>>2054466
pup miss out on important socialization.

Except that's wrong. Puppies are done learning all the socialization that their family has to teach them by the age of 8 weeks old. That is a fact. Google it. 8-12 weeks is the incredibly important stage where they learn human socialization. If you deny them regular access to humans from 8-12 weeks, it will cause just as many problems later on as denying them access to puppies at 4-8 weeks would.

I have yet to see anyone offer any accurate reason to not get an 8 week old puppy except OP themselves (fear imprint period).
>>
>tfw a byb is selling 2-3 week old pups in your area
>>
>>2054489
yeah cats have to be pretty old to take home because of their weak immune systems. cant say i know 100% what the correct age is for puppies but young pups need socializing and they also need nutrients from their mother (though not 10 weeks of it kek) but i see your point op
>>
>>2055725
>tfw a byb is selling 2-3 week old pups in your area

I don't have the info on hand, but most states do have laws that make it illegal to adopt out young dogs. A couple are 7 weeks, most are 8 weeks, a couple others are 9 weeks. Shitty sites like Craigslist and others where puppy mills gather will regulate this and delete any posts outside the law. So at least there's that.

I know in Tennessee there is no law about it. Your mileage may vary. I see a lot of Craigslist puppies for 5 & 6 weeks. Very, very common.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.