[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a milk snake soon. I have a lamp with a repto bulb and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_132.png (288KB, 293x456px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_132.png
288KB, 293x456px
Getting a milk snake soon. I have a lamp with a repto bulb and all that good stuff. But somthings telling me to get a uth. First snake so i dont really know fully what im doing but ive done reasech. So How do i use a uth. Do i need one? Should i use the lamp and a uth? And what uth should i buy or are they all the same?
Also I know a snake needs two hides on hot and cold side. But would a third hide hurt it?
>>
You should not use a lamp to heat a milk
>>
>>2053312
So how the fuck do i use an undertank heater
>>
>>2053317
You plug it in and it gets warm.
>>
>>2053300

UTH will heat the floor of tank but won't affect ambient temperature much. Get one that is about 30-40% of the bottom of tank. Stick it on the bottom of the outside of tank. Buy a thermostat or at least a rheostat (lamp dimmer switch) to control heat output. They get too hot for milks going full power.

If your room temp is below low 70's you may need a low wattage lamp to bump up the ambient air temperature a bit during daylight hours.
>>
>>2053300

About the hides, two is the minimum. You cannot have too many hides. Put as many additional ones as you want.
>>
Also, put together your tank and heating ahead of time. Test it for a few days BEFORE you get the snake. The reptile general thread here is filled with people who hadn't figured out the heating situation first and proceed to fiddle and troubleshoot with the animal already in the tank. You want to avoid that.
>>
>>2053338
So are all uth the same ore should i get a certian one
>>
So are all under tank heaters the sane wich one should i get for a pueblan
>>
So does anybody else have a milk snake km really intrested jn seeing some set ups and also what yiu use and all that just to get a better idea
>>
>>2053374

The zoo med one in op pic is fine. They are all essentially the same.
>>
So i use a uvb light wiht heating pad? Do i turn the heating pad off ever? will the glass be ok?
Does anybody have a setup i can see to make sure im doing this right.Im trying to reaserch but im finding the same shit everywhere
>>
also bump
>>
>>2053959

No, just a heat bulb if your ambient temp is too low. And only during the day time for 12 hours. You can use a ceramic heat emitter if you want 24 hour additional heat. However, this is not necessary if your home's room temp is in the low 70's.

UTH does not hurt aquarium glass. Yes you leave it on all the time but you must regulate it with a thermostat otherwise it will be too hot for your snake.
>>
>>2054035
So theres no just buying one and slapping it on there?
>>
>>2054170
if you need a UTH, you can slap it on there and leave it, but you absolutely need a rheostat with it. I didn't believe it was necessary myself - I'm only keeping a hissing cockroach warm for crying out loud - but once you mount the heater and feel how hot it gets running full blast: you need the goddamn rheostat control, unless you want to torture/kill your pet.
>>
>>2054236
So hows a rheostat work?
Where can i get one
>>
>>2054477
It throttles power to the device you are using. Literally a "light dimmer switch". Plug uth into and there's a slider or knob, etc. You can get them at a hardware store or perhaps in the reptile aisle
>>
>>2054503
So even if the tempeture is perfect you still need a uth?
>>
Bamp bc im a dumb fuck
>>
Also if i get a uth and put down a layer of that repto carpet stuff or paper towel would i not need a rhestat or would i beed to put dowb the carpet eithrr way
>>
>>2054961

for fuck sakes anon, think about what you just asked for half a second.
>>
>>2054971
Pls jus tell me what i need to know so i can stop embarrising myself
>>
>>2055226
Yes you still need to regulate the heat output of the uth, regardless of substrate (paper towel, aspen, etc). Don't use reptile carpet for snakes.
>>
>>2055242
Gotcha so prevent the snake from touching the hot glass at the bottom also?
>>
>>2055260
THATS WHAT THE SUBSTRATE IS FOR. Jesus its like you think your snake won't be like "wow this is hot, maybe i should move". You are almost as bad as the people saying other living creatures can't feel pain or emotions simply becos they aren't human. Here I'll make you a guide:

>get uth
>get thermometer
>install uth at bottom
>make sure you have decent lay of substrate (snakes like to burrow too, so keep that in mind)
>measure uth so its not more than 90°F
>get rheostat to limit uth power if it's too high
>walk away and give your snake some love after a few days when its used to your environment

If you can't understand this, don't own a snake or any pet.
>>
>>2055532
Understood
>>
>>2053319
Wrong. You buy a thermostat to control its temperature. Set it. Buy a digital probe thermometer to monitor it.
>>
>>2054503
Rheostat is only good if the temperature inside your house is the same year round. When the inside temperature rises or falls, you have to adjust it. Get a real thermostat or you will have to keep adjusting it.
>>
>>2055532
I put repticarpet down underneath the aspen substrate to prevent my snake from burrowing to the glass.
>>
I plan on putting a new bp im getting into a plastic container until petcos dollar per gallon sale rolls around.

Already have my uth and a zilla rheostat just wondering if it will work ok to apply to the plastic bin Im going to use and then take off and apply to the eventual tank.

Also how much space do I need underneath the enclosure to let hot air escape. Room It's going in will already be 78-85 throughout the day/night due to my iguana in the same room
>>
>>2056842
You know it can just burrow back up.
>>
>>2056896
>being this fucking stupid
>never reading the directions that came with your UTH
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.