[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beetle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 14

Do any of you have pet beetles?

Where did you get them and do you have any advice for new owners looking to purchase a beetle?
>>
I had a wild European rhinoceros beetle inside my house once, but it disappeared
>>
I had a brother, but my family mistreated him and he died. Only now do I feel bad about what we did to him.
>>
>>2052800
Did he like apples?
>>
File: genki1.jpg (86KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
genki1.jpg
86KB, 500x667px
I do! I had a thread asking for help in naming one a few days ago.

I have three males:
Genki, p. muelleri
Taku, p. fabricei takakuwai
Chunk, dorcus curvidens curvidens

They're really cute and friendly pets, except for the takakuwai, who hates being touched. I got them from Titan Beetle shop, it's expensive but pretty good if you live in the US.

I can give a list of what you need to care for them, if you like. Keep in mind I'm a beginner myself though!
>>
>>2055020
That's fucking sweet.
>>
>>2055020
I'm curious where in the US you live? Is it illegal to import these beetles to any state? I was thinking about buying one but I don't want them to be seized in customs.
>>
>>2055020
You never posted the bra pic you promised.
>>
File: sisters-walle-.jpg (55KB, 654x318px) Image search: [Google]
sisters-walle-.jpg
55KB, 654x318px
>>2052768

Are roaches beetles?

I am poor and can have no pets. But a week ago I found a single german roach that came in from the cold. Since it was only one, I couldn't resist trying to be hospitable.

I keep it sated with treats, and it seems quite peaceful now.

I was going to make a thread asking what bugs think about, but then I saw this.

Bug brains fascinate me, because they actually can do so much with so little. I've watched him explore, make decisions, stop in curiosity, pause in relaxation, and break to clean himself when he must've concluded he needed it. For a lonely, nutty old bum needing something to care for, he's been quite a gracious friend, and a wonder.

It's when he stops and sits still that he fascinates me the most. Not moving, not fidgeting, just sitting peacefully after a nice meal.

And I watch, and wonder what bugs think about. If they make basic decisions, there must be something fascinating going on in there.

I once heard the expression, 'even a worm turns', meaning even the humblest creature encounters something it finds unappealing. I've even seen this roach scratch his hindquarters with a rear leg like a dog, and show reflexes by catching his grip when he stumbles climbing.

I wonder how they experience the passing of time with no knowledge of mortality. Like little animate robots, always making near binary decisions all day. What a blessing nature and animals can be.

:3
>>
File: Dicerca pugionata.jpg (735KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dicerca pugionata.jpg
735KB, 1080x720px
>>2055020

What a beauty. I've never had the privilege of keeping any, (except a lady bug that loiter for a season like a stray cat), but I have had the joy of encountering a few jewel beetles like this. At least I think its considered a jewel beetle. Some sort of wood boring type, iirc.

I remember most vividly, how it landed on me sitting by a stream. When I gave it a gentle nudge, it felt no compulsion to move on. So I just let it rest, and eventually, it took off again. It was so pretty, the way it glittered. And it was so mellow too, like it couldn't possibly be bothered with the curiosity of a human after such an exhausting flight.
>>
>>2055090
I know..sorry anon, I'm too worried about work (I bring my boys in to show kids).

>>2055083
I live in PA. They were shipped from Taiwan, but as "simple toy" on the packaging, lol... It takes about 4-7 days to get here (only took 4 for me) and the beetles are sent in little tubes with wet moss inside. Somehow, they're fine when they get here, as long as its 40F+ outside.

I got two shipments, they were never questioned by customs
>>
File: chunk gif.gif (2MB, 332x332px) Image search: [Google]
chunk gif.gif
2MB, 332x332px
>>2055133
Wow, it's so pretty! I'd love to keep more species of bugs, but I'm always nervous about what can bite me (male stag/rhinos can't)

>>2055120
What's cool to me is that even different species of stag beetles have different temperaments/personalities, which I had no idea about. My dorcus stag, Chunk (pictured) is super chill, and acts like a dog, lifting its head and looking around where to go. He doesn't care if you poke or move him or anything, he's just happy to be here.

Another one I have, Taku, hisses if you touch him and can't stand being bothered. But, he also has a broken leg so might feel vulnerable. I wonder what gives certain bugs their temperament...?

ps, please post your friend.
>>
>>2055120

What a nice post
>>
File: Buprestidae-1.jpg (893KB, 1200x872px) Image search: [Google]
Buprestidae-1.jpg
893KB, 1200x872px
>>2055842

Thanks!

>>2055616

It's true too! I have a theory that how a creature is shaped and can move starts with how it can feed from one generation to the next, and that their behavior is a reflection of it, and what we perceive as personality.

You sure have some interesting beetle friends, and thats a great gif. I hope Taku's leg heals soon.

I am about to tend my little one. I dont think I can take a pic without him being exposed to flight (he is very fast) and it is still too cold to release him. My hope is that I can keep him growing and healthy to late March, when he can move about outside freely without being driven by the cold.

I have not yet determined gender, but know that s/he is still in the younger stages.

Here is a pic of some other beetles I hope you guys like. Have a great night /an/
>>
File: taku cage3.jpg (479KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
taku cage3.jpg
479KB, 1280x1707px
>>2055982
Man, those are pretty... I really don't know much about beetles outside of stag/rhinos, there are so many pretty types.

Sadly I think Taku's leg is broken for good, but he does okay. He flips over like a sad turtle a lot (still working on how to make his enclosure so he can flip back, but also dig), but he loves to eat and burrrow.

He fell asleep like this, lol
>>
>>2056001

I recall having an arthropod with the problem you seem to be describing.

It was as though it could not adjust leverage and move and rotate joint in coordination. As a result, it would rely on on unrefined movement of the larger leg component, and in the exertion, completely lose its plane of intended motion. Confusing for a bug, it would either fail to move properly at all or end up on its back.

It seemed to be the bug equivalent of a broken hip socket.

I dont know if its something that will correct in a molt, I suspect not.

I dont know that applying counter weight would help, I'd worry that without even the malformed movement, it couldn't move at all. It might just exert harder. The risk is that you keep it from tipping but reduce its range of motion even more, since it cant compensate usually. Six legged locomotion can be tricky, as it might be for a person to close their middle digit without moving other fingers as well. Often, the injured leg obstructs the motion sphere of the other limbs.

Depending on the limb, there is the unhappy option of removal, which is hard to even mention, much more consider. While it may free the movement and return control, it has its obvious drawbacks.

Perhaps there are other options to keep it static, or at least out of the way of the other limbs. Or perhaps some counter weight would give it the appropriate feedback so it would not mistakenly try to wield it like a working limb. If it were to sense that it takes more effort to move, it may rely on it less and compensate by diverting leverage to other limbs, learning to drag the limb rather than futilely trying to utilize it.

This all depends on the severity of injury of course. It wasn't noted how badly or when the injury occurred and what effect it has had.

Its a fine animal, btw.
>>
File: GoldInsect.jpg (64KB, 436x300px) Image search: [Google]
GoldInsect.jpg
64KB, 436x300px
>>2056001

What an awesome beetle.

:D

I'm sorry that his leg is damaged, but if he has someone to love and care for him, I bet he doesnt suffer it nearly as much. I doubt beetles can develop the same ideas we can about frustrating challenges, so maybe he doesn't even find any more peculiar than another hill to climb

He sure is cute. I am watching my little roach and he sure has gotten bigger. He sure is mellow these days, but active. I worry that he will get fat and slow reflexes from being stuck in a habitat all the time, even if he does wander around a lot.

I always worry when I care for something wild that contact with me will dull their better reflexes around predators, so I usually try to keep it limited.

I just gave him a bit of chicken and a fragment of rice from soup, but presently he seems more interested in leftover mashed potatoes.

I am reading about your rhino beetle. It says he is an herbivore, and stags too. What nice pets to have.
>>
>>2055608
you bring your beetles to show children as your job?
>>
File: This is Fine.jpg (101KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
This is Fine.jpg
101KB, 500x501px
Part of me thinks insects as pets is pretty sweet and they can seem kinda cute, but then I see them HD photos of them and I think about their hairy scrapy legs and oh my fuck no
>>
>>2056468
Maybe you should get millipedes, they're cute up close, too.
>>
>>2056469
Fucking kill me
>>
File: tumblr_mhr5wyNb0t1rvr9sko1_500.gif (23KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhr5wyNb0t1rvr9sko1_500.gif
23KB, 500x375px
>>2056468

I have kept many insects, not so much as pets, but as guests for a time (although I'm sure they would naturally see it as captivity, if they understood such things on the larger scale.) Usually its just visitors that get put into detention until I can release them elsewhere.

Its true that not all of them are so 'cute'. But they have all been fascinating. Getting to watch them in their candid behavior and seeing how their little brains work has always been a treat.

This wee roach, for example. He will amble for a few inches, but then stop. When he stops, it indicates a new thought has occurred to him.

Its then that he makes me wonder. What kind of thoughts go on in his little roach head, and for all the complexity of a human, in the end, are we really so different?

Between me and the roach, only I can notice and ask the question, but only one of us could fool ourselves into thinking we'll ever really know.

He has spent the day resting, foraging, exploring and making observations.

And I, the great ape, have sat in front of a machine wiggling my fingers as if it matters for anything and reacting to stories the machine tells me about the world.

Realizing this, it becomes harder to feel so superior to the animal, and easier to suppose how they have been around so long.

Maybe the buddhists are right, that we are all buddhists and don't know it. I guess maybe it depends on who you count as 'we' also. Cuz if reincarnation is real, it would explain why my little roach seems so happy lately as I take care of him. He was a bundle of nerves at first, but now is the picture of a perky but placid creature.
>>
alright I know this is a beetle thread but I figure you entomophiles will know something about spiders

I've found two baby spiders in my house so far. Where there are baby spiders, there is a massive terrifying spider mom

I'm deathly afraid of spiders and REALLY don't want one that big in my house, positive aspects of spiders be damned. I just can't handle it.

How can I find the mother so I (meaning my friend) can relocate her?
>>
>>2056479
All are reactionary machines after all. It's not easy to overcome. And why should we want to? It seems such an unhappy and unfulfilling road.
>>
>>2056488

She is likely long gone already. and has been for a while. It would seem your concern would be the number of siblings.

I felt horrible last summer. A yellow sac clutch had hatched and there were dozens and dozens. I simply could not corral them all, and a mere touch of something to shoo them into a container was enough to crush the poor things. I felt like a monster getting rid of all these baby animals, but there was no way to share space. They were in everything. All I could do was make it swift, and hope when my end comes, it should be so sudden. I feel bad even remembering it.

I love animals and I can accept the food chain, and the natural competition for life, space and resources, and that few animals would feel the same about me.

But still, as a human, I am also burdened with knowing the things animals can't, that life is only one time. To feed is one thing, or to defend oneself or resources. But the further you stray from those needs when you end a life, the more it becomes wanton vandalism of the universe, and needless suffering because of it.
>>
>>2055020
so you ended up naming the new one Chunk? not a bad name
>>
File: twinkie.gif (103KB, 1200x386px) Image search: [Google]
twinkie.gif
103KB, 1200x386px
>>2056501

It is interesting. Earlier today I was playing vidya, just roaming; it helps me think sometimes.

At some point, I looked over at Roach and noticed he was wandering in circles, and I felt a little bad, knowing he'd rather be exploring new places, or that being free is its own reward. Instead he was just doing laps in his habitat, and I felt bad cuz I wish I could free him now, but I cant let him loose in the house, and outside is so cold now. No one wants to be driven by desperation and cold.

Later, as I closed the video game, I looked over and he was just resting. Perhaps he had been watching me too.

And at that point, I realized I myself had spent nearly an hour basically running a maze I already knew for the 10,000th time, and considered it relaxing and fun, while sitting perfectly still.

Then I thought of him running his laps and then resting.

I think I will call him Gregor, and share my beef dinner with him.
>>
>>2056625
Your writing reminds me of the anon who rescued a small mouse a little bit ago.
>>
File: taku3.jpg (525KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
taku3.jpg
525KB, 1280x1707px
>>2056070
He actually has two damaged limbs; half his middle right leg is missing, and his front right leg seems to be broken at the "shoulder" joint. His shipping container had a crack in it, it seems like he was crushed on that side or something.

He IS able to move forward, albeit clumsily. He can even dig, although only with one side of his body, so he lays halfway in the dirt (I'm pretty sure stag beetles need to be under the dirt for moisture reasons? my other stags burrow for hours)

I heard sphagnum moss could help when bugs flip, but so far it hasn't... Maybe I could half-bury some sticks in his substrate so he has something to hold onto? but then he couldn't dig very much.

Every time I go in the bathroom (where I keep them on a shelf) its a ritual to check and flip him over. It must be stressful...

Thank you for the nice thoughts! Despite his issues, he does eat well, so that makes me think he can't be doing too badly.
>>
File: genki cookie2.jpg (624KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
genki cookie2.jpg
624KB, 1280x1707px
>>2056544
I did! There were a lot of great names in that thread (Colossus and Gruff were favorites) but I think I'll save a lot of those ideas for if/when I get an even bigger bug in the future. Chunk acts like a little dog, he doesn't deserve such a cool name haha

>>2056381
Your roach stories are really cool. Watching bugs is fun, it makes me miss summertime where I can lie on the porch and watch things crawl by.

>>2056459
I plan to! I haven't yet, but I've shown the kids pictures. I work at a preschool, and we can make our own lessons, so I might bring them in just for fun. The kids are so young (1-2) that they don't find bugs gross yet, just interesting.

(here's genki after he tried to fly off my shoulder and landed in cookies)
>>
>>2056899
Oh that's pretty neat. I have some praying mantisses and fancy stick insects, and occasionally work with children too. Though praying mantises might be tricky with children
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.