[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, I need some help I got myself a young Paradoxa praying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 2016-02-02 14.15.09.jpg (61KB, 640x852px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-02 14.15.09.jpg
61KB, 640x852px
Hey /an/, I need some help

I got myself a young Paradoxa praying mantis a week back and I have trouble getting it to eat. It came with a bunch of fat lazy, flightless fruitflies so I let it finish those before I ordered new ones. My local pet store had some issues with their shipment of fruitflies and I wont be getting them until friday (should have gotten them on monday)

I've caught some harmless critters in my garden but now the problem is that it's terrified of everything. It doesn't even attempt to hunt it, only attacking it to defend itself and then bail. I've tried all kinds of things like tiny harmless spiders, ladybugs, tiny beetles but nothing. I've tried leaving them in his cage overnight, feeding it to him with tweezers, feeding him with a needle because the tweezers terrify him as well, but nothing.

I'm guessing it's just used to fat fruitlies walking into his mouth but might there be another reason why it's not eating? I don't think it's sick because it's pretty energized. It could be preparing for a mold but I'm not sure about that. It hasn't eaten since saturday night so I kinda want to make sure there's nothing wrong with him. Is it normal they dont want to eat for a while sometimes? His tail is not that round anymore so he should be pretty hungry.

tl;dr my mantis is a pussy who is terrified of his prey and doesn't know how to hunt.
>>
anyone?
>>
>>2052666
Might be about to molt
>>
no idea
>>
Here's what I do when my baby Mantids have trouble eating: I get some small crickets from the local pet store. If they're small enough, I stab them onto the end of a toothpick and rub them against the mantids mouth. He'll taste them and begin to eat them, and once he grabs it with his hands you can carefully pull the toothpick out.

This is a bit more gruesome, but you can also kill the cricket and cut it in half and put the juicy cut end of the cricket against the mantids mouth, which he will instantly begin eating.
>>
>>2053693
And I'm sure this would work with fruit flies as well. Kill a fruit fly, and place it onto the end of a toothpick and rub it against the mantids mouth.
>>
>>2052666
Omg, that fucker is adorable.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.