[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's a chicken in my backyard, what do I feed it so it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 20160201_091157.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20160201_091157.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
There's a chicken in my backyard, what do I feed it so it can stay and lay eggs for me?
I have whole grain waffles, Ritz crackers, and some uncooked rice.
>>
File: Snapchat-1150387280109347001.jpg (141KB, 480x782px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1150387280109347001.jpg
141KB, 480x782px
There was a cat trying to eat it.
>>
>>2051897
cracked corn, millet, laying mash.
Un cooked rice is a no no
>>
>>2051914
im not a farmer so I have none of those.
can I just let it eat worms from the ground?
>>
>>2051919
Don't be a faggot. Give it grains
>>
Go buy some cracked corn from a store that sells birdseed. Chickens eat corn.

And yes they'll also eat worms and bugs in the garden but that might not be enough.
>>
Also chickens eat crushed oyster shells.

They don't get energy from it but they absorb the calcium and use it to make eggshells. It also keeps their bones strong.

I think they can also eat raw mushrooms although I'm not sure.
>>
feed it lemon rinds. trust me, it's pretty funny.

works better with ducks. they sound like murlocs.
>>
If you can catch it, feed it bread until you can get some chicken feed. And a water bowl too.
>>
Well I couldn't catch her (it's a her right?) but she's there again this morning.
I don't have any cracked corn or any of that but can some ground tortilla or tostadas do? It's corn.
How about whole grain waffles?
>>
File: 20160202_085423.jpg (982KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160202_085423.jpg
982KB, 2560x1440px
It's raining but there's a tarp on the corner so she can stay warm, but do chickens have no problem with cold weather?
>>
>>2052756
They don't do well but they will survive with nutritious food and a bit of shelter depending on the severity of the weather.
>>
>>2052793
it's California so the lowest we've had was 40 degrees here, i gave it some lettuce just in case it gets hungry.

I can't get it to eat from my hand since it runs away, but hopefully it eats the food I left it.

Will I ever be able to pet it?
>>
>>2051897
OP, get some carrots, use a cheese grater to grate them up, and try feeding that to your chicken, also, you can try feeding the chicken thawed out frozen peas, or peas from a can. You have broccoli? Just take a knife and scrape off all the little green buds into a bowl and leave that out for the chicken.

Alternatively, you can pick out the seeds from watermelon, cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins, squash etc. etc. etc. that you have in your kitchen. But I would google all of that to make sure it's not poisonous first. Since I remember someone telling me a long time ago that peach pits and apple seeds are mildly toxic to herbivores. And the smaller the creature, the more effect it has. (obviously a human/deer wouldn't be hurt, but a chicken might)

And if all else fails then in the meantime you can feed the chicken oatmeal, as long as it doesn't have any sugars or anything mixed in with the oats.

Just go to walmart/local store and buy a large container of steel cut oats.

But eventually you're gonna have to feed your chicken a more nutritious diet that contains a source of raw protein in it.
>>
>>2051897
corn flakes
>>
>>2052811
Holy shit you're right, it even has a chicken on the box!
I'll give it some right now.
>>
>>2051897
Feed it grains. If you actually want to keep a chicken then buy it chicken feed.
>>
I bought corn and cracked it, now how do I get it to eat it? it's just roosting on top of a thing I use for shade.

What's a good name for her?
>>
>>2051897
where do you live? unless you live somewhere that there are wild chickens running around it belongs to someone else. also mine love oatmeal and mashed potatoes. that's not ideal food just scraps i sometimes give them in addition to corn feed and oyster shells.
>>
>>2053133
My neighbors have chickens, and a few other people around this city, so it might belong to them, but i asked around and they all say that's not their chicken.
It might have been somebody elses but they may not really care anymore.
It's shy though, I thought chickens were supposed to be more social. Will it die if I don't get another chicken?
>>
>>2053149
Get some kind of container. Fill it half full with table scraps. Go outside and shake it at the same time ever day and dump it on the ground. It will start anticipating the food and wArm up to you
>>
>>2051897
If you could buy mealworms or frozen peas, chickens love both of those!!
>>
>>2053149
Just give it time and don't chase it. It will learn to come to you for food and eventually settle in. It does not need the companionship of another chicken though it would be nice but not necessary.
As far as what to feed it, just about any table scraps are fine despite what some may say.
My great grandfather on down raise chickens.
Free range chickens and they ate just about anything and did just fine.
>>
Thanks guys, i'll check on it tomorrow since it's too dark to see it now.
I'll give it some more corn tomorrow if I see it ate it all.
>>
No sign of it today.
The pile of leaves are all over the place, that little bitch keeps going for worms instead of the corn.

I'm getting MAD.
>>
>>2053660
In the future, yes, you'd need another chicken. You should also feed it actual chicken food. (Layena crumbles, ect)
>>
>>2053773
In the future NO you don't need another chicken and what do you think they ate before they had chicken food ?
>>
>>2053796
She keeps messing up my compost looking for worms.
Is this what having a child is like?
>>
>>2052827
It's a rooster on the box
>>
>>2053796
> thinks having a solitary chicken is acceptable.
>>
>>2053814
Of course she is going to scratch in the best places she can find bugs.
Mine will tear up my wife's flower gardens every chance they get. Makes me laugh..pisses off the gardener though.
>>2053832
A friend daughter won a baby chick at one of those road side fairs. Its fully grown now and she dresses it up put it in a baby carriage and strolls it around. It gets baths and blown dry. Try and get that chicken to leave her side other than when she leaves for school.
It doesn't even know its a chicken.
Both happy as can be.
>>
She's finally started eating.
Thanks to >>2053193 advice I just go out and put food on the floor.
This time it didn't fly away so hopefully it starts coming towards me soon enough when I have food.
>>
She's gone /an/
I can't find her anywhere. She's not even in the neighbors yard.

I guess it wasn't meant to be, I just got used for my food and then she left me.
Now I'm alone again.

Thanks for everything guys, you helped me out at least for the time we had.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.