[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 53

File: toxotes.png (347KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
toxotes.png
347KB, 640x533px
Previous thread: >>2046802

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.liveaquaria.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE - http://www.google.com
>>
Fuck generals.
>>
>>2049271
/aq/ has been going on for years, deal with it.
>>
File: Fish.jpg (70KB, 756x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fish.jpg
70KB, 756x600px
Anyone know hoe to control aggression in these faggots? I had 4 many years ago, got them as juveniles, ended up getting 2 males 2 females.

I know the m/f ratio was off, but is there any other way of dulling their aggression?
>>
File: reef.jpg (125KB, 1060x795px) Image search: [Google]
reef.jpg
125KB, 1060x795px
How many saltwater guys are out here?
>>
>>2049282
Nope, not really. Nope. You could try a larger tanks with more obstacles/caves to break the line of sight, but thats about all.
>>
>>2049271
Yeah everyone should just make a new thread for every fish related statement they'd like to share
>>
>>2049301
Maybe we should start doing that. Just troll the rest of /an/ for a bit
>>
>>2049271
This is the only general on 4chinz that isn't filld with fucking faggot trip and avatar fags
>>
>>2049301
yes, please do. I would love that.
>>
>>2049271
It doesn't matter, this board is dead and this is one of the faster threads. It surprises me that even /wg/ is faster than us. Think about it, people would rather spend time talking about fucking wall papers than all the animals and nature of the world.
>>
>>2049295
I am but my tank is shameful so I dare not show it.
>>
>>2049282
Apparently if you keep them at the lower end of their temp range it will help curb aggression.
>>
>>2049313
This desu senpai
>>
>>2049317
No shame here, friend. Trust me, I can guarantee Ive seen worse saltwater tanks than yours. Post it!
>>
>>2049313
Fuck you for making me feel depressed
>>
>>2049318
I suppose that would work. Most likely would work for any fish species. Low metabolism, lower aggression
>>
>>2049335
That's just cruel though
>>
File: 1356398606_fa71e99935_z.jpg (71KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
1356398606_fa71e99935_z.jpg
71KB, 640x428px
I want to start a brackish pond someday.
>>
>>2049182
>>2049303
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y0JFiAAhjg

Heh, I actually found a random youtube vid with some dude catching aforementioned cichlids
>>
>>2049313
>>2049323
>>2049332
Please shut your dumb mouths.
This board is great because it isn't filled to the brim with faggots making pseudo /v/ threads
>>
>>2049295
Starting soon
>>
>>2049352
What's your plan?
>>
>>2049344
It's really not though, keeping fish at the lower end of their key word here recommended temp range is fine.
>>
>>2049351
Why the fuck are you including me in this shit?
>>
File: IMG_20160129_073045.jpg (939KB, 2306x2306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_073045.jpg
939KB, 2306x2306px
>>2049295
My nigga. Here's both my tanks
>>
>>2049372
I dig that urchin bro, nice tanks :), >>2049295 is my reef, then i have a 5 gal super heavy planted shrimp tank
>>
>>2049370
You know what you did!
>>
>>2049372
Urchin bro you are a god.
>>
>>2049382
>>2049372
I had to get rid of my pincushion urchin :( he just loved to pick things up to much. Would come home every day with a new piece of coral stuck to him that he ripped from my rockwork. One day he picked up my large ORA mushroom, and the mushroom released toxins and crashed the tank. Bye bye urchin. Luckily didn't lose TO much
>>
>>2049357
I have a 30 gallon halfmoon tank that I started out with juvenile cichlids and upgraded tanks multiple times, don't wanna see such a fancy tank go to waste so I'm setting up for a clown pair and bubbletip anemone
>>
>>2049384
Lol silly urchin
>>
>>2049388
He was a goofball..... Felt really bad to, cuz I took him to my LFS, then some lady bought him, and posted an ad on the local saltwater page trying to get rid of (what was formerly my urchin) because it was apparently eating things it wasn't supposed to, and she didn't know how to feed it (Like you can feed an urchin?). Felt compelled to pick him up and save him but I resisted.
>>
>>2049394
It just amazes me that something like urchins can have personalities.
>>
>>2049400
Wait. What? They arent like bugs or whatever?
>>
>>2049400
That's what's fascinated me about this hobby. Many animals I've never thought of as being intelligent in any way have surprised me. I also have a huge (about 1 foot across Black/red serpent star that I've raised since he was only two inchs across) who will climb up my arm when I'm spot feeding corals, because he knows when he climbs up my arm he gets a whole shrimp pellet. Not necessarily personality, but certainly more thought process then I ever thought these guys capable of.
>>
>>2049410
They're similar to starfish, and no, they are not bugs. They don't really have a brain though. Just a nervous system and a bunch of water driven suction cup appendages that the phylum uses to move around. And yet, they have a personality all their own
>>
>>2049271
fuck you.
>>
File: 4th%20pics%20108.jpg (299KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4th%20pics%20108.jpg
299KB, 1024x768px
>>2049411
Not my starfish, but he looks exactly like that, and is displaying (maybe?) a similar behavior. He likes to wrap around my wrist though.
>>
>>2049411
>more thought process then I ever thought these guys capable of.
this is called conditioning.

there's no though involved at all.

what you're doing is called anthropomorphizing.
this also involves no thought.
>>
>>2049425
Bugguy pls leave
>>
>>2049427
I'm still not bugguy.

and learning where the food is located still doesn't require thought.

or even a brain. as evidenced by anon's star.
>>
>>2049425
In order for something to be conditioned, it still has to have some sort of a thought going on. go spurg somewhere else.
>>
>>2049425
>what you're doing is called anthropomorphizing.
>this also involves no thought.
Not sure if this was supposed to be a funny catchphrase or something, but anthropomorphizing definitely involves thought.
>>
>>2049433
yeah, like plants think about facing the sun and rocks think about rolling down hill.

conditioning is instinctive.
>>
>>2049425
Anthropomorphizing is putting human emotions on non human animals. Unless you think thought it a human emotion, I don't see where your going with this. And if you do think thought is a human emotion... well, that explains a lot about you
>>
>>2049433
>>2049435

But urchins aren't conscious
>>
>>2049435
>anthropomorphizing definitely involves thought.
and they say I'm autistic...

yes, thought is required to anthropomorphize,
even more thought is required to stop doing it.
>>
>>2049436
Plants have photo reactive cells that follow the far red radiation put off by the sun, thus allowing it to follow the sun throughout the day. And rocks certainly are not conditioned to roll down hills, you fucking dumbass
>>
>>2049437
look, I caught another assburger in my trap

the bait is humor, autists don't have any.
>>
>>2049438
Never said they were, but does that mean that they have absolutely no idea/control over what physically happens to them?
>>
>>2049440
>And rocks certainly are not conditioned to roll down hills, you fucking dumbass
I didn't say they are.

I said conditioning requires thought like a rock rolling down a hill does.

dumbass.
>>
>>2049442
More like drunks don't have any
>>
>>2049443
>does that mean that they have absolutely no idea/control over what physically happens to them?
that's exactly what it means.
>>
>>2049444
That literally makes no sense.
>>
>>2049442
>humor, autists don't have any
I guess that's why your joke is so painfully dumb.
>>
Someone science me here.

Hoe does ambient temp effect an aquarium? If an aquarium is at 26 degrees Celsius and the surrounding room is at 22. Will the ambient temperature rising to 24 have any effect on the aquarium water? Or does the ambient temperature have to reach 27 degrees?
>>
>>2049449
because you're not intelligent enough to make the association.

it's ok, if you think serpent stars engage in conscious thought you're not exactly the top apple on the IQ tree.
>>
>>2049447
>>does that mean that they have absolutely no idea/control over what physically happens to them?
that's exactly what it means.

...well then how is he able to climb up my arm and wrap around my wrist when I feed the coral? If he's unable to control what he physically does. Shouldn't he just sit their, flailing around like my other star?
Give up, I win.
>>
>>2049454
>he's unable to control what he physically does. Shouldn't he just sit their, flailing around like my other star?
"he" doesn't control anything because "he" isn't a person.

"he" is a machine that does certain things in response to certain stimuli.

one of those things is learning to climb up the big pink thing for food.
>>
>>2049451
first you have to explain why the ambient temp is lower than the tank water. If it's a heater, then no. Room air has no effect on heated tank water until it gets hotter than the tank.

it does affect evaporation rate though.
>>
>>2049453
If you want to look at any classical experimentation done around conditioning, their always done with animals of some form of intelligence. rats, dogs, mice, monkeys. Never has it been done on rocks falling down a goddamn hill. Operant Conditioning is a scientific principle that is rooted in the connection between an event, and a reward. Go ahead, read some research papers on operant conditioning and tell me that they don't suggest some form of thought, even in the conditioned state, which is essentially based in the subconscious.
>>
>>2049457
I'm not suggesting it has to be anything more then 'one of those things is learning to climb up the pink thing for food. I doubt any of my pets think anything differently. And of course I fucking call it a 'he' because I actually care about my pets, unlike you evidently, and don't refer to them as objects to be viewed at
>>
>>2049461
ah, I see your error.

you think all conditioning is operant conditioning.

this can be fixed with a minimal amount of education.

try googling "conditioning."
>>
>>2049465
>I actually care about my pets, unlike you evidently, and don't refer to them as objects to be viewed at
yes.
that's what I said.
anthropomorphizing.
>>
>>2049465
> referring to an asexual/sex-changing creature as a "he"
>>
File: 1411689588606.jpg (42KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
1411689588606.jpg
42KB, 450x320px
>>2049468
>caring about something is now anthropomorphizing
>>
>>2049466 If you actually knew the difference between classical conditioning and operant conditioning you would know which one we are talking about here, in the case of my starfish. It most certainly is operant conditioning.
>>
>>2049427
Bugguy actually knows what he talks about, this guy is just parroting.
>>
>>2049470
Well I have to give it some gender.. right? And it always picked heavy shit up and carried it around the tank, clumsily knocking it into everything, and in general was a shit disturber. Therefore, it was referred to as a 'he'
>>
>>2049472
>It most certainly is operant conditioning.
how so?

my guess is that once again you're seeing complexity that isn't there.

you're not on speaking terms with parsimony.
>>
>>2049475
>implying bugguy didn't learn everything he knows from me and Wikipedia.

at this point you guys are telling me that an animal with no brain has conscious thoughts.

you're an easy target.
>>
>>2049475
>Bugguy actually knows what he talks about
When it comes to gardening and bugs. After that it's a shit show of misunderstood nonsense.
> terrapin is the correct term for freshwater turtles
>>
Am I the only one that's scared that one day the water sealant on my heater or pump will break and I'll get electrocuted to death?

Escpecially if the product is from China aka "trading standards? what are those lol?"
>>
File: sad.jpg (18KB, 385x415px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
18KB, 385x415px
what has happened to /ag/?
>>
>>2049490
no, that's a healthy fear.

buy a GFCI and plug your tank stuff into it.
>>
>>2049480
Operant conditioning
>I put hand in tank when feeding coral, star fish climbs on hand
>I feed starfish (reward)
>starfish chills on my hand til I remove it from tank.
Classical conditioning would suggest that the starfish would climb on my hand every time it was in the tank, since it was the previously neutral stimulus that was then creating a response. But that's not what happens.

I actually work in a research lab at a major university. I do know scientific reasoning, even If I do work with a bunch of Chinese.
>>
>>2049490
>>2049500
be aware that your GFCI will also be made in china tho.
>>
>>2049498
Lots of woman and trans
>>
>>2049486
Never did I ever say it has conscious thoughts. I said it has a personality, and it does have a few peculiar behaviors. Your the autist fuck that took it to another level
>>
>>2049505
Plenty of homegrown autism too.
We are on 4chan
>>
>>2049501
>Classical conditioning would suggest that the starfish would climb on my hand every time it was in the tank

>implying it's your hand and not the coral food that the stimulus. Or both.

how do you know he won't?
I'd bet if he climbs on your hand when you feed your corals in order to get a treat, then he will also climb on your hand when you're feeding the corals and not get a treat.

in fact you know he will, because he doesn't know if you'll give him a treat or not. This is Pavlov's dog. He sees hand and smells coral food and he climbs. Every time, whether the treat is there or not. No other association or thought necessary.

in fact it is you that's been conditioned to give him a treat when he climbs on your hand.

anyways, see how nicely I called it "him" for you?
>>
>>2049507
>Never did I ever say it has conscious thoughts.
anon said "thought."
I dispute that.
>I said it has a personality,
this is also false, but let's keep it to one fallacy at a time.
>>
>>2049513
But will it climb on anons hand if no coral food is present? That's what I want to know.
>>
>>2049516
it would be interesting to find out.

he seems to imply it won't.
>>
>>2049513
No, I really don't 'know' he will. He's only demonstrated this behavior maybe 10 times over the course of the 8 months I've had him. And you better believe that I feed more corals more often then that. He just isn't hungry some days, and prefers to sit under his rock. Sure, I've been conditioned to give him a treat when he climbs by hand, but that's not the point being argued here. I'm a fully conscious human being, so of course I'm capable of being conditioned, just as much as you.
>>
>>2049515
"thought" and "consciousness" are two different things. Also, I have 3 other serpent stars, and 2 other brittle stars. If they lack all personality, why is the only one that climbs my hand, the black/red serpent? What makes him different, in your all powerful pseudo scientific reasoning?
>>
>>2049519
well the time you'd wonder about is the first one.

you would have to wonder how something without a brain would come to see you as the source of food and climb on you in order to get more food.

I have no doubt the coral food is the cause initially and that the behavior was then reinforced with more food.

anyways, hunting food is instinctive and also doesn't require thought. Learning WHERE the food is is a matter of classical conditioning.
>>
>>2049516
>>2049518
It will not. But it also doesn't climb on my hand every time I feed more coral, but only does climb on my hand when I do so. Therefore he would be conditioned to the food, but really not conditioned because it isn't a 100% consistent event.
>>
>>2049521
>"thought" and "consciousness" are two different things.
yes, but neither can exist without the other.
>If they lack all personality, why is the only one that climbs my hand, the black/red serpent?
climbing your hand isn't personality.
and only one of them has been conditioned to get food by climbing your hand.
>>
>>2049525
>really not conditioned because it isn't a 100% consistent event.
that's because eating isn't a conditioned behavior.

finding food in a certain spot is.

he's not always hungry, and he's not going to look for food in the spot he usually finds it if he's not hungry.
>>
>>2049524
There's nothing instinctive about this behavior. But you haven't ever witnessed my reef to understand what I'm talking about, and there's simply no talking to you, apparently. I doubt you've ever owned a marine animal, or have any way to know any of the shit your spewing other than what you've heard from other anons. Actually try owning some of these crazy inverts and maybe you'll be lucky enough to witness some interesting behavior ;)
>>
>>2049532
>There's nothing instinctive about this behavior.
I said hunting food is instinctive, not climbing your hand to find food.

I want to know what lab you work in, this is fucking pathetic.

I don't have any serpent stars, the last one I had was a green serpent that ate two damsels and a flame angel before I gave it back to the fish store.
>>
>>2049537
>the last one I had was a green serpent that ate two damsels and a flame angel

Maybe you weren't feeding it enough ;)
>>
>>2049539
It ate those three in two days. There's no way I could've fed it enough.

If I ever keep one again it'll have its own tank.
>>
>>2049537
the fact that you bought a green serpent explains everything about this conversation. You literally just lost all credibility right there. Actually I'm going to go speak at a conference in two weeks, I assume you want tickets? Hunting for food is instinctive! Great observation!
>>
>>2049543
Anyways, I'm pretty drunk so I'm going to pass the fuck out now. It's been great fucking with your autistic ass
>>
Whoops>>2049547
Thats for you. Not myself. This homebrew is kicking my ass

>>2049541
>>2049537
>>
>>2049543
>the fact that you bought a green serpent explains everything about this conversation.
that was 13 years ago, back when you were shitting in diapers.

I would love tickets to your lecture. I assume you're a woman, and I hope you're attractive.

my standards aren't high, I like 'em dumb and pretty. You're halfway there.
>>
>>2049547
the pleasure was mine as well
>>
>>2049550
13 year ago I was setting up my first walstad tank, as well as my own business (which still is running), but thanks. And no, Im a guy. Sorry to disappoint. Don't worry, you'll fit right in with the rest the the pseudo intellectuals that plague our university system, I'm sure you'll find some lovely sorority girls there
>>
File: letmetellyou.jpg (383KB, 820x801px) Image search: [Google]
letmetellyou.jpg
383KB, 820x801px
>>2049475
>Bugguy actually knows what he talks about
>>
>>2049553
>as well as my own business (which still is running),
we have that in common as well.

I bought my 3rd business 14 years ago and it's still running.

I expect I make more than you, I'm not an idiot.
>>
>>2049556
He knows his shit when in comes to horticulture
>>
>>2049556
he knows a hell of a lot about tarantulas
>>
>>2049559
Great job. You and that anon both get to spout your bullshit claims. I love a place on anonymity where people can say they are what they aren't
>>
>>2049560
>>2049562
samefagger
>>
>>2049568
Every now and then someone demands proof and then it gets fun.
>>
>>2049556
See:
>>2049487
>>
File: samish.png (2KB, 163x66px) Image search: [Google]
samish.png
2KB, 163x66px
>>2049576
>>
File: IMG_0456.jpg (624KB, 2851x4500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0456.jpg
624KB, 2851x4500px
just moved into a house from an apartment, these are my 4 brand new meme tanks, (from top to bottom) 20 gallon walstad, 20 gallon iwagumi, 10 gallon hospital/quarantine/breeding, 90 gallon WTFEVERMYGFWANTS.

question: the foundation in this house is awful, literally none of the tanks is level. how bad is this?
>>
>>2049592
some people will say it's terrible, but in my experience it doesn't make any difference.
>>
>>2049592
Not a huge deal, so long as all your filters work properly. You might have slightly more evaporation, and eventually the substrate will work its way towards the low end, but thats all easily fixable.
>>
>>2049597
I was gonna wrap a steel band around the 90 gallon (since its about 900 lbs ofc) but then I realized the top and bottom trim on all the tanks did exactly that.

are there any warning signs to look for?
>>
>>2049602
leaking would be a warning sign.

really it shouldn't be a problem though. For example I have a 60g that's been set up for 5 years now with one side a full inch lower than the other.
>>
File: IMG_20160129_222517.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_222517.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: 20160130_115643.jpg (667KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160130_115643.jpg
667KB, 2048x1152px
Sand foregrounds were a mistake
>>
File: 20160130_120047.jpg (854KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160130_120047.jpg
854KB, 2048x1152px
>>2049735
Whole tank set up a few days ago.

Hopefully it looks less messy after it grows out and I get a black background
>>
I just came home and noticed the apartment was quiet. My girlfriend unplugged my filter for an unknown amount of hours. I am livid.
>>
>>2049744
>relatives/women unplugging filters
Why do they do this? What makes them think anything in the tank is optional for keeping the fish alive.
>>
>>2049745
She doesn't like the sound of the water and wants me to fill it up all the way so it doesn't make the sound. She doesn't understand it's helping oxygenate the water. But luckily it's a 30 gallon tank with 3 male guppies and 3 endler hybrids.
>>
>>2049746
Looks like you won't have any issues going through a mini cycle if you do water changes then
>>
>>2049745
Because they don't like the noise. Or think it's broken and they are doing me a favor.
>>
>>2049313
>this board is dead
This is lowkey probably a good thing. Most communities get increasingly retarded as the user base grows.
>>
>go to lfs for otos
>16 year old girl behind the tank says "how big is your tank because they prefer nanos"

Since fuckibg when? I have a school of 10 in my 4ft tank
>>
>>2049784
No fish will prefer less space. A betta is much happier in a 55g then a 2g tank. She's being stupid
>>
>>2049772
Thiiiiiiiiis.
>>
What more should (can) I add to my 30g heavily planted tank?

Current stock;
2 angelfish
2 kribensis cichlids
1 King tiger pleco
1 bristlenose pleco
2 siamese algae eater.

The tank is fairly over filtered with an eheim Ecco 300.
>>
Hey guys, I have a 36g. Should I get a striped raphael catfish or like 10 pygmy cories?

raphael: I love big catfish that hide in caves, but raphaels are hard to find

cories: they would be fun to watch school, maybe they'd hide in the cave (???), but I don't have sand I have small gravel

Help
>>
>>2049815
My cories have no problem with gravel.
Their barbs are fine.
>>
>>2049815
me again, I was looking at pictures of cories on google and i found this awesome tank
http://youtu.be/LWb1dffFBRQ
>>2049816
Really? I had some albino cories and their barbels were completely gone. maybe it was for other reasons like stress though

also, what about otos?
>>
>>2049819
Otos don't mind gravel at all.
>>
>transfer betta to tank
>he keeps headbutting the walls like he's trying to travel farther than his whackass crystal prison will permit
>feel bad
I thought he'd be elated to no longer be in a cup.

Which raises an ethical question I've had for a while. Do fish know/care that they're captive?
>>
>>2049348
Wow there were a lot of nice looking convicts in there, I bet this guy is in Florida, Convicts either got there from being released as pets and bred out of control or they traveled there.

Central American fish that have been seen as far away from home as Australia.

Cool video thanks.
>>
>>2049860
I always wondered how fish perceive the room they're in through the glass.

Like do they see it and want to try and swim over there?
>>
>>2049862
Give him more to explore.
I've had bettas in one gallon jars that were happy as shit because they had cabomba. and lots of breaks in their line of sight. It's a dimension problem. Empty rooms would suck if you could move in all directions. Get plants, find clean sticks, put plants and sticks in tank. Rocks too, but not stuff that bubbles in vinegar at all.
>>
>>2049861
That's in southern california in the greater LA county Its the remains of the santa clara river

That's the real amazing part though.

There are also giant plecos in there and bunch of catfish.
Occasionally I see a koi or two
There was a single big mouth bass, but I'm sure someone caught that fucker by now.

Its clear someone dumped a tank, but they seem to be doing fine Its been 5 plus years since I have been here watching them.
>>
>>2049882
Actually that might be my problem. Tank is pretty barebones right now. All it has is a red tiger lotus that I ganked from my other tank. Plan on adding some rotala and maybe eleocharis.
>>
Anyone else have albino cories that just lose their shit at random times? Mine are normally very relaxed but on occasion they'll rocket around the tank and collide with one another for a few minutes, then go back to digging. They have good water, long barbs, etc.
>>
>>2049898
I can't even stand up without my bronze cories darting away.
>>
>>2049898
I think that's pretty common Cory behavior. Mine do
>>
>>2049282
You need what's called "dither fish." Find slow moving top-feeders. Top feeders are the first ones to get picked off by predators, so they're a soothing influence on a tank, even if what the fish normally fight over is food or space. I keep several species of African cichlid (including jewels) and they do fine together with dithers in the tank.
>>
>>2049345
Me too, anon, me too.
>>
>>2049784
Was she cute? If so ignore it and fuck her. If not tell her she's a ugly retarded nigger.
>>
>>2049799
Get rid of the Siamese algae eaters. They're going to be terrors before you know it. They will harass the fuck out of everyone and possibly suck off scales of other mates. The two angels alone are considered max stock though for a 30 gallon
>>
>>2049592
If all the tanks are relatively new it should be fine. Existing weaknesses in the sealant and such will be slightly more stressed than normal though, so keep that in mind.
>>
File: 71dxfJS0aFL._SL1500_.jpg (165KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71dxfJS0aFL._SL1500_.jpg
165KB, 1500x1500px
http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454113816&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+cleaner

Is this any good? I'm considering getting it because I ended up moving my 30 gallon onto the floor and cleaning it is difficult.
>>
>>2049937
That looks like a high tech penis pump
>>
>>2049942
I have one but my penis head can't even fit in the hole
>>
>>2049898
Ptsd probably
>>
File: EBAcara.jpg (131KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
EBAcara.jpg
131KB, 1024x614px
QUICK!
Claim your fishfu before someone else does!!!
>>
>>2049915
You're thinking of Chinese Algae Eaters, not Siamese.
>>
File: image.jpg (280KB, 1278x822px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280KB, 1278x822px
>>2049959
>>
>>2049982
SWIGGITY SWOOTY!!!
>>
File: misgurnus fossilis.jpg (3MB, 2646x1010px) Image search: [Google]
misgurnus fossilis.jpg
3MB, 2646x1010px
>>2049959
>>
>>2049972
Siamese Chinese they're all the same people
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2049959
Gloop gloop ^.^
>>
>>2049998
Aww, look at that cutie. It's a shame he'll turn into a foot long monster :)
>>
>>2049998
I had a 1'1" long Bala back in 2004 that I had inherited from my grandfather.
Sadly "Balley" too passed away in 2006 of natural causes/old age... :(
He had so much personality!
>>
>>2050009
He's like 3 inches right now lol he's in my somewhat planted 10 gallon they said he won't get much bigger :p sooooo...
>>
What's the appeal of bala sharks? They're not very cool looking and you need a huge ass tank for them
>>
>>2049738
>>2049735
I think it looks really cool, just get some long ass tongs and use them to pick up all the larger pieces of detritus.

And of course the plants will make it ten times more amazing once they establish themselves.
>>
File: IMG_20160130_134241.jpg (3MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_134241.jpg
3MB, 5248x2952px
Speaking of athromorphizing I feel like an absolute monster putting my momma mollie in a breeder box.

Poor Lucky. She never asked for this
>>
>>2050034
They kinda look like sharks, and kids love sharks.
>>
Hurry and pump em out!

The males never left her side.
It's kinda sweet, if they didn't want to rape her some more.
>>
File: IMG_20160130_134305.jpg (3MB, 5248x2845px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_134305.jpg
3MB, 5248x2845px
>>
>>2049998
I recognize that gravel, is this the same aquarium that someone dumped all that shit into then emptied multiple bottles of bubble soap into?
>>
>>2050029
That's a bala shark, they get huge.
>>
>>2050038
>>2050042
Damn, that fish is preggers.

Do fish feel labor pains? Is it as severe as what humans feel?
>>
File: IMG_20160130_134321.jpg (3MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_134321.jpg
3MB, 5248x2952px
The only question now is how am I going to get the shit out of there when the fry arrive
>>
>>2050048
I have no clue.
But when she gives birth she acts weird.
Swims down to the bottom chills in one spot
Shoots up to the top
Then back down.

The males bugged her a lot too. I'm glad she'll be safe now, but I can tell she hates the box.
>>
>>2050045
That's very common gravel. Every retard first starting thinks it's awesome.
>>
Do pistol shrimp kept in the home aquarium ever do the cool cavitation pistol thing they're famous for?
>>
>>2050073
Why would you want them to? That shit can break solid glass.
>>
>>2050073
yes, they do it all the time.
especially if you feed them live.

you can try it if you like, I think liveaquaria has pistol shrimp for like $8 in their build-your-own cleanup crew.
>>
>>2050029
"They" lied bala sharks get fking huge. They also need a school to be happy so hopefully that thing isn't alone in there
>>
>>2050029
haha oh wow you're in for quite the suprise
>>
>>2050048
Fish don't feel pain.
>>
>>2049719
I like your cories. They're very cute.
>>
>>2049815
I have 15ish pygmy cories in a 40 breeder with EcoComplete and they're fine. Barbel deterioration is usually from other fish biting at them, poor water quality, or stress.
>>
File: balainfrontof10gallontank.jpg (68KB, 640x506px) Image search: [Google]
balainfrontof10gallontank.jpg
68KB, 640x506px
>>2050029
They lied.

>>2050039
>They kinda look like sharks
They really don't.
>>
>>2049282
best way to keep them pacified is actually to overcrowd them a bit with more cichlids though it may sound counter intuitive
a video with more tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGE9x5B6DU
>>
>>2050154
They react to negative stimuli but don't process it as pain.
>>
>>2049735
i had a similar problem once, i figured out using an aquarium net as a strainer works really well for keeping the sand clean and clear
>>
>>2050089
>>2050102
Oh well I googled and you're right I only had the one so I let him go in a lake.
>>
>>2050218
>I only had the one so I let him go in a lake.
>inb4 well-deserved shitstorm
>>
File: 1453481089188.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1453481089188.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>2050218
>>
>>2050218
what lake?
>>
File: IMG_20160130_162325.jpg (3MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_162325.jpg
3MB, 2952x5248px
So after seeing some people shit talk tetra brand fish food I picked up this about a week ago.
The fish love it.
But what do you think and what foods do you use or reccommend?
>>
File: IMG_20160130_162411.jpg (3MB, 2915x4888px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_162411.jpg
3MB, 2915x4888px
>>2050228
Does any of this shit help at all?
>>
File: IMG_20160130_162435.jpg (3MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_162435.jpg
3MB, 2952x5248px
>>2050231
I put a color filter to enhance text.
>>
File: 20160130_181930.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20160130_181930.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Diy/cheapo shit you do to either save money or test something out before you make a purchase.

I use a garden hose to for water changes, siphon out into yard then fill it from the shower(more water flow than sink or I'd have used that)

Stole the little water pump from an old whisper filter for a make shift power head an put it above a shitty defuser.
>>
>>2050228
I use that brand as my staple food for my saltwater fishes.

if you're worried about nutrition just buy a few types and brands of food and then feed different stuff each time.
>>
I'm not overly worried, but I think I got a growth stunted fish so I don't want that happen again if I can.
I love my fish bro.
>>
GF: can we turn the filter off when we sleep? The water sound is annoying.
Me: no it's essential for their life and it'll stress them the fuck out.
I work nights now and I come home a few times with it unplugged for at least 6 hours with very stressed fish. I'm gonna hit her /an/
>>
>>2050250
Just kill her
Gotta keep those bacteria alive mang.
>>
>>2050220
Uh he will be with other fish and hopefully some other sharks then
>>2050226
Lake St. Clair. I live less than a mile from it. I usually let go of fish I don't want anymore. My gold fish Mr. and Mrs. Glub Glub have apparently grown to a large size with a few other gold fish. But I have seen my oscars anymore.
>>
>>2050231
Omega one is the shit. What are you trying to do with it? Enhance color?
>>
>>2050250
Just move the aquarium in another room.
>>
>>2050029
> :p sooooo...
GET OUT
>>
>>2050256
you do realize releasing your pets into the wild can destabilize entire ecosystems right?
>>
>>2050267
You do realize you're eating bait like a trout right?
>>
>>2050256
Harrison Twp here.
You fucking faggot.
>>
>>2050258
Eh, not really. I got the color enhancing on accident.
I just want them to eat well and be happy.
>>
>>2050256
Is that why I saw a giant orange fish at Brandenburg?
>>
>>2050271
Fish don't experience happiness
>>
>>2050273
Who cares?
>>
>>2050273
Just like the rest of 4chan

But you know not stressed, happy, eh same thing.
>>
>>2050271
Omega one is good though. Tetra fucks shit up. All I use is the dechlorinator.
>>
>>2050282
How?
>>
>>2050271
Omega one and hikari are pretty top tier. My guppies go nuts for the tropical pellets for small fish and color up very well.
>>
everyone says cories should be kept in schools of 6+. but what about different species? like a mixture of albinos, peppered, and emeralds?
>>
>>2050284
>>2050282

Wells that good to know because its like the same price as the tetra brand.
>>
>>2050283
It's use shit ingredients and always made my tanks cloudy and on top of that always had nitrites spikes and sad fish.
>>
should i bother taking into account a few rcs's bioload?
>>
My fucking roommate took a shit in my tank. A watery chunky shit and killed all my fish. I got pissed and dumped it on his bed. Dead fish, gravel, shit, everything that was in that 10 gallon. People really do not value a fishes life.
>>
>>2050292
Ha, I don't.
>>
>>2050303
Just an ordinary day in India.
>>
>>2050282
>>2050284

Third vouch for Omega One
Quality stuff.
>>
How do I estimate a tank's "bioload?" Are there rules of thumb for fresh and salt water?
>>
>>2050312
I feed mostly omega brands, superior ingredient list.

>>2050313
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisorMarine.php
>>
>>2050313
the time-honored method is to keep adding animals until some die and then stop.
>>
>>2050328
That's terrible
>>
>>2050332
it's effective.

and whether you like it or not that's what most people do.
they may not know they're doing it, but they are.
>>
>>2049468
Jeez. Are you just trying to look edgy and "thick-skinned"? This is an anonymous image board. Don't be so damn inauthentic
>>
>>2050287
anyone?
>>
>>2050287
>>2050352
Cories can tell the difference and won't be as active if they're in a group of different species. Just get at least 6 of one species to see their natural shoaling behavior.
>>
>>2050352
I believe that they prefer to school with their own kind, but you may have some success. There's no way to say for sure. Your best bet is to pick cories that aren't too dissimilar from each other in terms of size, color, etc. Basically, they will tolerate each other, but they'll me most closely knit when they're schools of at least 5.
>>
>>2050349
>I don't name my tomatoes.
>you thick-skinned edgy liar!

whatever dood, it's not normal to think your echinoderms have personality and rich intellectual lives.
>>
>>2049508
It's not nearly as bad as 4+fourchan, don't worry.
>>
>>2050360
They got little personalities.
Obviously nothing complex but they got little behavior patterns, preferences.
>>
>>2050377
behavior patterns and preferences aren't personalities.

only persons have personalities.
>>
>>2050382
I. . .
Disagree
>>
>>2050387
and that's exactly why I say it.

most of /an/ disagrees, which is vastly amusing to me. It's entertained me literally for years.
>>
>>2050389
I get it, but its fun to pretend.
>>
>>2050390
of course.
keeping pets would be incredibly boring if we thought they were just fuzzy machines.
>>
File: WP_20160130_20_18_14_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160130_20_18_14_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
This is my first time posting on any board. I wanted to ask about my sunset gourami. I have it in a 20 gallon aquarium with other fish, but he was the first one I got. The fish I have now have all been alive and well for a few months now although I had four black neon tetras die of ich when I was starting out(new to aquariums). And I think about when I tried treating them my sunset has had this black and yellow coloration on his lower fin. I do 10% water changes weekly, but it doesn't look like ammonia burn and that's all I could find with Google. Anyone know what it is? Sorry if the post is long
>>
>>2050398
Dude 10% is like half of what you should change.
>>
>>2050401
I'll do 20% then thank you. But could that cause the discoloration?
>>
>>2050391

I don't think so. I think of all my pets as machines. But I think of myself as a machine too.
>>
>>2050414

I should clarify...I think of them as machines with feelings.

But machines nonetheless.

Like me.
>>
>>2050398
I can't really tell from the pic.
are you sure it's not just his normal coloration?
>>
>>2050416
yes, and strictly speaking anything you keep in a fish tank is probably a machine without feelings.

very much unlike you. But when you pretend they're like you we call that anthropomorphizing.

which is fun in childrens cartoons and certain types of fiction but isn't actually true or anything. Nemo isn't actually looking for his daddy.
>>
>>2050417
Thank you for replying. It might be, I've seen pictures of some that have a slight dark coloration, but most are bright orange all around, and none as dark or large. Also I forgot to mention that it changes a bit too, I can't tell for certain but it looks darker or lighter sometimes.
>>
File: WP_20160130_20_59_10_Pro.jpg (375KB, 1201x1584px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160130_20_59_10_Pro.jpg
375KB, 1201x1584px
>>2050417
Tried to get a better picture
>>
>>2050428
fish change colors some with their mood. In some species it's really dramatic changes, in others it's more subtle.

anyways, I don't know of any infection that fits your description. If it's fin rot or something you should see it getting worse pretty quickly.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What's wrong with my water wisteria? I got it a few weeks ago, and it's got some good looking new growth at the top, but the lower leaves/stalks look worse for wear.

I add Seachem Flourish Iron daily, as recommended, and Flourish Excel every other day as recommended. I also treat the water with calcium daily for my snails.
>>
>>2050433
still looks within the range of normal coloration.
>>
File: thick-lipped-gourami.jpg (47KB, 250x127px) Image search: [Google]
thick-lipped-gourami.jpg
47KB, 250x127px
>>2050433
another pic of similar coloration
>>
>>205044 Well it puts my mind at ease. I could only find pictures of pure orange ones so I assumed something was wrong. Thank you for the help
>>
>>2050451
my pleasure.
>>
>>2050313
roughly one inch of fish per gallon but always go lower rather than higher on the scale, some fish produce more waste than others and factors like plants and over filtration can increase the amount of fish you can keep slightly
>>
>>2050433
That's looks pretty normal
>>
>>2050441
the lower leaves were grown in air or slightly submerged in water so they will rot off, as they aren't adapted to life under water let the new growth flesh out a little then cut the stems and replant them to keep them bush all the way up
>>
File: personality.png (134KB, 995x710px) Image search: [Google]
personality.png
134KB, 995x710px
>>2050382
>>
File: 1382584586415.jpg (39KB, 545x456px) Image search: [Google]
1382584586415.jpg
39KB, 545x456px
>>2050086
>selling lethal weaponry for $8
>>
>>2049444
You're a fucking moron
>>
>>2050526
Meant this guy >>2049449
>>
File: like I give a fuck.gif (1MB, 298x172px) Image search: [Google]
like I give a fuck.gif
1MB, 298x172px
Where have all these trolls come from as of late?

We've always had dumbasses, but never this bad.
>>
>>2050312
Can also vouch for Omega. I feed mine a mix of that and New Life Spectrum brands.
>>
>>2050482
I'm sorry, what part of that do you think ISN'T talking about persons?
>>
Hey guys, if anyone here remembers, I'm the guy who set up a shrimp and minnow 5 gal tank 2 months or so ago. With advice and shit I've gotten significant growth from my plants and the tank in general is looking great. 2 of my minnows are gravid and my original colony of 7 shrimp is now 14 strong (the fish eat a lot of the fry). I'm going to upscale the tank to a 90 liter that someone is selling with a stand, gravel, filter and heater all for $70 (Australian). And then use the 5 gal with all its plants for a betta. Considering the size of the tank and all that's going in as of now is a metric fuckton of plants (I like planted tanks), 14 shrimp and 9 white clouds, what else should I stock? I know I want some ottos and I'm really interested in endler's live bearers. Does that sound good and if soo what other real small fish could I get that would not overstock the tank and get on well with everything else?
>>
>>2050640
Jesus fucking Christ. Everyone knows what they mean faggot. We know fish aren't humans but it's faggots like you who like to pretend they're some kind of cold hard nigger.
>>
>>2050682
we weren't talking about fish.
>>
>>2050684
I'm going to snap your fucking neck and grab your mouth and pry your mouth open till your jaw snaps off.
>>
>>2050687
I doubt it.
>>
>>2050689
That's just the beginning. You have my fucking blood boiling.
>>
>>2050690
lol
I hope so. I imagine you with this one pulsing vein right at your temple.

post a pic of your warface?
>>
>>2050691
Fuck off you fucking millennial
>>
File: 20160131_112213.jpg (826KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160131_112213.jpg
826KB, 2048x1152px
Looks like I'll never keep my new sand foreground clean like Takeshi amano does in his nature aquariums.

Oh well I guess if it was perfectly clean it wouldn't look natural
>>
>>2050480
Do I attach the new stems to anything? I dun fucked up when I set up the tank and just put in sand as a substrate.
>>
>>2050712
Takeshi Amano accomplished that by not putting the fish in until just before he was displaying the tank.
>>
File: 654363665363.jpg (364KB, 1305x1305px) Image search: [Google]
654363665363.jpg
364KB, 1305x1305px
FUCK THESE THINGS.
>pick related

The only two times I added these to my tank after BOILING AND RINSING THE SHIT OUT OF THEM they turned the water cloudy!
The first time I chalked it up to a bad bacteria bloom (didn't know any better) and the second time it finally hit me, but this time there were repercussions for allowing them to stay in...
All of my cichlids died in my 75 gallon community tank aside from my 4 Acaras who are just barely holding on for their dear lives... I transferred them to my tropical freshwater tank for the time being.
Are chemicals added to terra cotta pots that I'm not aware of? Everyone said that they would be just fine after a rinse and would house beneficial bacteria.
>>
>>2050677
galaxy rasboras are really pretty and a personal favorite of mine but can be shy if mixed with anything larger or more active than them

other options include
dwarf pea puffer
pygmy corydoras
mosquito rasboras
clown killiefish
hatchetfish
pencilfishes
ruby tetra
sparkling gourami
and more
make sure to do a little research before buying any fish though. also might i suggest using tthe 2 gal tank to get a larger number of adult shrimp
by separating out the babies
>>
>>2050727
as long as theyre firmly pushed into the sand and you dont have any fish tugging at them or an excessively strong current they should be fine. you can also just leave them alone, the stems lower down will just look barren
>>
>>2050739
ive used them in multiple tanks for years and never once had a problem. did you ever hae a plant in it that got fertilizer? maybe mine ae fine because theyve been sitting outside forever before i use them (i just rinse them before putting them in the tank)
>>
>>2050739
I never use them, I think they look ugly.
>>
>>2050739

That is really, really strange man. I've never had any problems with terra cotta pots in fish tanks. I don't use them now because I only have one fish tank these days, with a goldfish who would knock them over.

I have noticed they can slightly alter the pH but that's the only effect I've had.

Very strange. I'm sorry your fish had such a terrible reaction to it.
>>
>>2050536
That's just 4chan now, I only come here for /an/ now because it's not active where I shifted to.
>>
>>2050750
I have a 4x2x2 foot tank and I'm thinking of doing a large schoal of them.

Would they be shy with Ottos and Shrimp?
>>
>>2050782
no not even a little bit, theyd be perfectly happy especially with plenty of plants just keep in mind they need excellent water conditions and are pricy especially in large shoals.
>>
File: image.jpg (195KB, 1024x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195KB, 1024x346px
Has anyone gotten into aquascaping? I'm wanting to try it on my 55g and was wondering if adding pressurized CO2 is necessary for it to thrive - wouldn't plants fish and filter be enough?

Also, what are some good options for soil? I was thinking of using Seachem or Aquasoil but don't know if they're good options (or if they look good).
Bumping with dope looking aquascapes. Thanks in advance
>>
>>2050803
C02 makes the plants sooo much better and there are cheap diy options that are clean no hassle and low maintenance this is a great example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JzvfHO31Ug
>>
File: image.jpg (186KB, 1024x323px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186KB, 1024x323px
>>2050805
This is great input! Thank you so much.
>>
>>2050795
Yeah $20 a fish here in aus where I am. I am ok with it though.. I'll try rationalise it somehow :P
>>
>>2050803
You really need Co2. most plants that we grow in the aquarium hobby aren't aquatics plants they just tolerate water and live by it in the wild. And even the plants that DO grow under water shoot their stems up to the water surface for atmospheric Co2. And we like to trim our plants short so they never reach the water air interface.
>>
>>2050827
no prob
>>
>>2050828
try aquabid and other online retailers you might find them a bit cheaper
>>
>>2050836

Does an airstone powered by a regular air pump provide any co2?
>>
>>2050865
Yes, but only as much as your house air.
If you go this route, you'll get slow growth.

If you have a lot of plants that are reasonably sized, you can have your airpump timed to when the lights are off, and you'll get a bit more growth. Fish, algae, and bacteria breathe c02 after all.
>>
>>2050868
>fish breathing co2
Top fucking kek
>>
>have an emerald and an albino Cory when the tank starts and they school
>get another emerald
>albino immediately stops schooling with them
Dammit, my fish are racist again
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
What's the point of nano tanks when you can get a 20 gallon off craigslist for the same price?

I had a 20G tank and I was looking at getting a 5G nano as a second tank till I noticed that for the same money I could just get another 20G
>>
File: crystal-red-shrimp1.jpg (489KB, 2956x1958px) Image search: [Google]
crystal-red-shrimp1.jpg
489KB, 2956x1958px
Is 24c too hot to breed crystal shrimp? Every guide I've read said they prefer "cooler" temperatures. Then say their range is 21-25. What do they mean by "cooler"? Cooler than tropical (26c) or towards the cooler end of 21-25?

My tank literally can't get lower than 24 because of the lights.
>>
>>2050303
Shit in your friends mouth when he sleeps.
>>
>>2050880
minimalism
>>
>>2050880
Smaller footprint and keep nano fish but usually planted only.
>>
>>2050885
Bettas
>>
>>2050874
exhale you dip
>>
>>2050876
breed them for stronk aryan catfish and use them to annex poland
>>
>>2050769
I agree. They just look so out of place. What do you use instead, if anything?
>>
>>2050885
24 should be fine for them, although crystal shrimp can be weird and picky they usually arent, clean stable water is more important than temp
>>
Is 71-74 F the ideal temperature for red cherry shrimp

I have a 5 gallon with no heater (well I have a $3 heater for a 1 gallon in there but I don't think it does anything)
Should I get a real heater
>>
>>2050907
the greatest success rates for red cherry shrimp are between 75 and 80 degrees, ive had success at 77 twice but as with all things clean stable water conditions should be the main focus as long as the temp is within a reasonable range
>>
>>2050880

You can sometimes buy a new 20 gallon for $20 when the stores have sales.

Nano tanks don't make a lot of sense from a financial perspective. You're right.
>>
>>2050911
Plus good luck keeping safe water parameters in a 5g and have fun with like the 2 fish you can have in there
>>
>>2050880
There are people who don't have the space for a 20g aquarium.
>>
>>2050880
I have a 5 gallon tank on my office desk. My room isn't big enough to fit a proper tank in, but my office betta loves his tank and it makes my office, despite being small and having a shitty view, one of the nicest in the company.
>>
Is putting Otos in a nano cruel? That's where they mostly end up.

I have a 100L aquarium and I feel like even that isn't enough room for them.

In large tanks they actually school up and swim incredibly fast.
>>
File: IMG_20160131_103047.jpg (2MB, 5248x2835px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160131_103047.jpg
2MB, 5248x2835px
Woke up this morning to find this.
I'm relieved, I'll get to let her go.
The problem is I keep seeing fish and this morning my dawg frog getting pinned between the tank wall and the breeder box.
They keep doing it
>>
>>2050948
How quick do Mollies breed? And what do you do with all the fry?
>>
>>2050952
Once every month it seems, but she can choose whether or not she wants to.
She has skipped a month before

For now I'm just keeping them. I got close to 19 from the past 3 months already. Maybe the lfs or the petco adoption tank.
Unless someone here is in LA and wants to pick them up.
In which case give me an email.

They got sailfins and lyretails so they aren't complete garbage
>>
File: 03b.png (121KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
03b.png
121KB, 400x381px
>Tank can't go lower than 24c with lights on
>Turn lights off for the night
>Tank increases temp to 24.5c
>Heater starts to flash warnings at this temp increase
>Ambient temp is 23

Wtf?
>>
File: individual.jpg (40KB, 713x387px) Image search: [Google]
individual.jpg
40KB, 713x387px
>>2050640
>>
>>2050999
unless youre keeping trout or something that needs ice cold water that is a fairly suitable temp for 99% of shit you'll find at your lfs
>>
>>2049772
This. I remember back when /ck/ was pretty damn slow and was a great board. Then moot unleashed the floodgates on it and turned it to utter fucking cancer.
>>
So, my betta has been sick for a bit and is now on her last legs, so to speak. She's been laying on the floor of her tank just barely alive and I'm not sure what to do to end this for her peacefully. I currently have no access or way to go pick up clove oil, so that option is off the table.

I feel awful. I've had her for years and I don't want to just toss her away like nothing. Is there anything else I can do? I thought of gradually turning down the temperature of her heater, but I don't know.
>>
>>2051096
just cut off the head quickly with a sharp knife, fish wont feel anything. far less cruel than trying to freeze it to death. have you tried just doing a water change to save it though?
>>
File: IMG_20160131_124746.jpg (3MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160131_124746.jpg
3MB, 5248x2952px
So my mollie has been at it for most of the morning and now its almost 1pm.
>>
File: IMG_20160131_125139.jpg (2MB, 4856x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160131_125139.jpg
2MB, 4856x2952px
>>2051106
>>
>>2051103
>have you tried just doing a water change to save it though?
Yes.
>>
>>2051106
you should get some predatory fish to keep alone in another tank and feed it the baby mollies
>>
File: raum.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
raum.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
here are my tanks
>>
File: IMG_20160131_124352933.jpg (4MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160131_124352933.jpg
4MB, 5248x2952px
I think I might cry when this swordtail dies.
He's a pretty cool little guy.
>>
File: gro.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
gro.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
next one
>>
>>2051109
welp rip fish then he was a brave soul
>>
>>2051111
What compels you to keep so many?
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 255x198px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 255x198px
>>2051110
Oh dude I know.
I got a 13g still from my first aquarium.
I was thinking of doing an axolotl tank.

But gf would freak if I fed the fry.
By the time they're edible they would have names and it would just trumatize muh bitch.

You know what fuck her I'm doing it.
>>
>>2051111
God fucking damn.

Dude are a professional aquraist?

>>2051119
I'm sorry for you loss, Do you have a picture?
>>
this is my hobby
>>
>>2050896
Here's an idea, just get some aquarium safe rocks/slate and super glue them together into the shape you want. Four pieces for each side, one on the bottom so the dirt doesn't fall out.
>>
File: 1452215591712.jpg (11KB, 255x244px) Image search: [Google]
1452215591712.jpg
11KB, 255x244px
>>2050896
Rocks to make caves or even the fake rock caves you can buy. Sure more pricey, but they look nicer.

Also bare bottom tanks mfw
>>
>>2050948
Why do platies and mollies look so similar
>>
>>2051106
Grats on baby fish, I remember my first time having baby fish.. and the second.. and then I never ever bought livebearers again. The end.
>>
>>2051189
Yeah this is like the 4th time.
Live bearer are still cool though.
>>
>>2051145
Are you retired?

It's truly astounding.
>>
>>2051177
They have a common ancestor
>>
File: 1425535656343.png (152KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
1425535656343.png
152KB, 600x503px
MAKE A NEW THREAD ALREADY
>>
>>2050895
Just go three albinos. It begins
>>
>>2051277
newfag question but how do you determine when a new thread needs to start?
>>
New thread
>>2051305

>>2051305
>>2051305
>>
>>2051306
When the current one hits bump limit and reaches page 2.
>>
>>2051132
fishes before bitches
and amphibros before hoes
>>
>>2051290
corys are hard to breed i wish you luck
>>
>>2051307
But there was already >>2051316
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.