[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pitbull awareness thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12

File: _20160124_134340.jpg (83KB, 720x441px) Image search: [Google]
_20160124_134340.jpg
83KB, 720x441px
>found a pit bull puppy in the shelter
>think it's cute
>remember stereotypes
>do some research
>conflicting opinions and facts
>fuck.
On one hand, some say they are nice and gentle and loving if they're not raised by assholes, on the other hand some say they are aggressive and dangerous because it's in their DNA and that they make up most dog attack cases.

So what do you think /an?

Are they normal loving dogs if they're raised right? Is it even true that a lot of attacks are committed by them?
If so, is it truly because it's in their DNA and all, or is it because they're usually owned by Assholes.
>>
attack frequency is a misdirection, damage done is what matters, and pits spill a lot of blood
>>
>>2045011
they are perfectly fine dogs with a good owner.
the reason they are involved in so many attacks is because it's so common for shitty owners to get a pitbull as a status symbol in their ghetto neighborhood.
>>
I love APBTs and pittmutts. I have worked in a shelter, doggy daycare, grew up with a APBT and currently have a mix.

>Are they normal loving dogs if they're raised right? Is it even true that a lot of attacks are committed by them?
Yes. They are genuinely goofy, loving dogs but your run of the mill dog owner is also an idiot. Most people just think by getting a puppy or dog into the family, it'll just melt in perfectly on it's own. The problems arise when they consider said dog to be inconvenient to them because they can't be bothered to walk it, teach it not to jump up on people, wrestle aggressively with it or tease it because 'it's funny', etc. Or they get them or another 'intimidating' dog like a rottweiler, german shepherd, etc with knowing nothing about them except that they are good guard dogs.

Now let's cut it down to the most kind of people who get pitbull breeds. There's no denying it. It's poor people, or people who just want to intimidate(aka assholes). I've known pitbull owners who were poor but had very polite dogs that ate better than they do, but those kind of people are few in between. Lack of education, 'tough' priorities, lack of money(can't afford vet care, much less a dog trainer), etc.

As for DNA - it's not in their DNA to rip the throat out of babies. They are a high energy breed, they are one of the more dog aggressive breeds(though i have yet to meet one myself that cannot be around other dogs, though i see some in shelters that are for a 'one dog only') and they will protect their homes so it's very important you socialize them early with other dogs, strangers and kids. Dogs attack things they deem a threat. Take the mailman for example. He's a complete stranger coming up to the house for a few moments and then disappears, only to constantly return. It riles dogs up because they don't know who he is, and by going batshit insane they think they are driving him off when he leaves and that they need to do it again when he comes back.
>>
>>2045037
There is also so many of them because retards keep pumping out their bitches. You can get pitbulls for practically free. A family that cannot afford a 2k puppy or a $400 adoption feee for a shelter puppy will be woed by a cute little pibble puppy that is probably either even to them by some idiot who bred his dog or a shelter handing them out for $30. I got my mutt at an 'emergency' adoption after a hurricane for that much. She's mostly black and was listed as 'boxer/lab' mix but she's obviously a pitmix. Her and that APBT I had growing up, we never had any problems aside from the APBT being hyper. Good with cats, rabbits, kids, strangers(even the mailman, because we worked on that shit), grew up with other dogs and could play with other peoples dogs, etc. No bites, attempted attacks. Wonderful dogs, really. But truth be told, I might just be paranoid but I don't often trust other people's dogs. I've never been attacked by a pit but good lord people are fucking idiots.
>>
>>2045011
>>do some research
>>conflicting opinions and facts
there's never been a single scientific study on canine behavior that says they're prone to aggression towards people. the only "facts" out there are biased/skwed bite statistics that are pseudoscience for a number of reasons
>>
What kind of person wants a dog bred for fighting, associated with violence and ghetto lowlife scum, banned in many places, while there are dozens of other breeds that were bred and selected for something else than it's ability to bite and not let go?

Hood rats and white trash, that's who
>>
>>2045054
>caring about other people's opinions of your dog and not their personality

what a cuck
>>
>>2045061
Most people who get a pitbull get them precisely because of what other's people opinion is. They get them because they will look cool and badass in their shitty neighbourhood with a pitbull

Or just to make a point, trying to prove other people that pitbulls are "the sweetest and most loving dogs ever"

Either case they do care about other people's opinion.

Also
>having to walk your dog with muzzle on
>scaring people
>having it put down if it ever bites someone/something
>>
>>2045037
>They are genuinely goofy, loving dogs
no terrier is a genuinely goofy loving dog. they love to fight and kill too much.
>>
Do they get along living with other dogs? Especially big ones like gsds
>>
>>2045069
Every Yorkshire terrier has two modes: running and hug me.
>>
File: DSCF2624.jpg (1MB, 2298x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2624.jpg
1MB, 2298x1944px
>>2045069
Oh yeah they love to kill. Here is mine just hanging out in the sun on a winters days with some of his friends.
>>
File: DSCF2620.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2620.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
Here is him with a new dog my wife just got.
>>
>>2045088
obesity
>>
File: marty.jpg (364KB, 943x1232px) Image search: [Google]
marty.jpg
364KB, 943x1232px
>>2045105
nothing obese about him. just looks like it that pic
>>
>>2045066
>>having to walk your dog with muzzle on
is your dog so poorly trained that you think everyone has to walk their dog around with a muzzle? or you're assuming everyone lives in a BSL shithole

>>scaring people
>being scared of a dog who hasn't even shown warning/aggressive behavior
some people are pussies, anon. are you going to cater to their every need and call them Xirself too?

>>having it put down if it ever bites someone/something
unless you live in a BSL shithole then it usually takes at least a level 4 bite or repeated offenses (that are actually reported) for that to happen. regardless of breed
>>
>>2045011
>some say they are nice and gentle and loving if they're not raised by assholes
so not nice and gentle
>>
>>2045018
This, OP. Chihuahuas bite more people each year, and other teeny tiny purse dogs as well, because they are neurotic messes owned by dumbasses who think they are just living fashion accessories.

Problem is, nobody reports those attacks because "lol cute widdle doggy!"

But a pitbull gives a person one single nip that barely breaks the skin and they wind up in the pound because somebody called the cops.
>>
>>2045110
What about other big dogs? I have a 4 month old German Shepherd and was thinking of adding a pit bull puppy i found in the shelter ( he is not purebred but you can tell he has pit in him ) to the family but I read they're generally aggressive to other dogs.
>>
>>2045457
If you are getting it as a puppy you should have no problem adding it to the family. The biggest thing is socializing.
Mine just got introduced to chickens and rabbits this summer plus a few other dogs and since I raised him not to be aggressive I don't have a problem unless the other dog provokes a fight then its on but that only happened once with stray that showed up.
>>
>>2045457
Take a look at your dog first.
>does your current dog like other dogs?
>how does it react with other dogs getting in it's face? such as playing, not a dog aggressively getting up in it's grill.
>how trained is your dog?

Everything's fine? Then OK. It'll most likely be fine, assuming you are not an idiot dog owner. I personally think it's better to raise dogs while they're still young together, just remember that its a shit ton of work - especially for such high energy dogs. One dog can pick up bad behaviors from another dog, so you'll have to keep on that.
>>
>>2045560
Since his other dog is only 4 months old that is still considered a puppy. Not many dogs are aggressive at that age.
As far as raising them together while they are still young yes it can have some benefits but I get dogs from the shelters all the time that are 2-3 years and older and can put them together you just have to know what you are looking at as far as their personalities.
>>
>>2045535
>unless the other dog provokes a fight then its on

That's a little scary, what if they're playing and one of em bites too hard or something I don't want them to go all mortal combat on each other's asses?
Also, what happened exactly with the stray if you don't mind? How aggressive was he?

Also, do they get mad easily? Like what would it take to make it mad as hell and lose temper?
>>
>>2045595
Oh and how the fuck do I break up the fight if it happens? (Without getting my ass mauled)
>>
>>2045595
Playing and someone gets bit a little to hard and you might just get a yelp and they stop playing for a few seconds and then go right back to playing. Its is a lot different than a stray dog coming up growling and bearing his teeth in their own yard. Part of it was protecting me and part was how dare it come in my yard and start shit.
He jumped on it the fight lasted less than 15 seconds with the other dog taking off running.
As far as getting mad easily mine put up with new puppies jumping and biting on him and when hes had enough he will either get up and move or give a low growl as a warning but he has never really bit.
I have never seen him loose his temper with any other dogs that I have brought home and that little French bulldog has been pushing pretty hard.
>>
>>2045599
I NEVER put my hands or any other part of my body between to dogs fighting. I have had to break up fights between two bull mastiffs that were brothers and I would spray them in the face with vinegar and water mix and that stopped them.
>>
>>2045582
Bad and aggressive behaviors can manifest in puppyhood. It's still easier to correct and train them out of it, though. OP just needs to watch for them, especially if he plans on taking on these two breeds. I do think it will be fine, I just worry about owners taking on something they may not be able to handle. At the very least, I want them to realize what they at least 'might' be getting into.

Older dogs of course can still be introduced to other dogs, I wasn't disputing that. Introducing younger dogs to each other, or raising them together is just easier. Of course it also depends on the individual dogs, I'm just speaking generally.

>>2045595
I only broke up one dog fight but they weren't my dogs. A german shepherd and a boxer. German shepherd was the aggressor, ended up grabbing his hind legs, yanking and flipping him. I used my foot, then my knee to hold down his neck and sat on him until his owner came and fetched him. I didn't hurt him or choke him out or anything but I really don't suggest doing this. I knew the boxer well enough to risk it but it was still really risky. Luckily he did what I thought he'd do - run away and just bark at a distance.

Getting a hose to spray the dogs, vinegar and water spray bottle, sometimes throwing a blanket over the dog(s) get them to stop. If two dogs who really know each other fight, chances are the fight won't last long to begin with but its still safer to keep an eye out for aggression between dogs and stop a fight before it happens.
>>
They're just dogs.

Either way please for the love of god don't fucking buy one, theres enough god damn Pitbulls in every neighborhood as there is.

Don't be a cheap shit, get something less generic and redneck-sisterfuckish.
>>
File: cesar-con-su-pit-bull.jpg (38KB, 385x330px) Image search: [Google]
cesar-con-su-pit-bull.jpg
38KB, 385x330px
>>2045011
>say they are aggressive and dangerous because it's in their DNA
I had a pitbull for 15 years without an incident and let me tell you, they're not inherently violent. Pitbulls are a race of strong dogs that are very defensive when it comes to their territory. Because of this, the owner must be a strong person (not physically, mentally) to keep him in check. If that requirement is met, he's an excellent dog.

However, I don't recomend picking one from a shelter
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 250x241px
>>2045919
>"hurr u gotta be MENTALLY strong to keep dog in check"
>"don't adopt one"
>pic of Cesar Milan
>>
>>2045923
>frogposter
>>
>>2045011
its a mixed bag.
I would be weary of picking a shelter pitbull, only because you do not know its previous history or situation.

At the end of the day, dogs bite, doesnt matter if its a jack russel or a golden retriver. The determining factor is if you are responsible enough to keep it from situations where it can do SERIOUS damage, like attacking other dogs, or children.

It might be a pet, but its still an animal.
Honesty I think pitbulls should be one of the few breeds that you have to pick up from a reputable breeder, and make it mandatory. It ensures its parents are somewhat docile and you know it has been reared within a secure environment + the breeder isn't going to give it out to every idiot that comes by with some cash.
>>
>>2045932
>>2045919
>>2045716
The guys at the shelter said that the owner told them that the puppy's father is really really aggressive, he attacked multiple dogs and almost killed them for no reason. They asked him how he took care of the dog and he said that he keeps him usually chained in his yard and almost never walks him because he has to work. As for the mother she's a 7 year old chill mutt.
What do you guys think about this?
>>
>>2045011
Hey OP I have some experience with pits, almost half of my street I lived on before had one for their families.
Out of all those dogs, only two were really nice and friendly. But that was because they had good owners.
everyone else was shitty, and that's what matters.
Just heavy socialization and exercise and you'll be fine.
>>
>>2045069
Is this your first time creating bait?
>>
There are always risks when humans interact with animals. Horses kick, cats scratch, dogs bite, etc. That being said, for as many dogs as there are in the world, attacks are rare. Someone being killed in an attack is even rarer. Since you are probably going to be a good owner and properly train your dog, the chances of your dog attacking anyone is very low. Basically you're worrying about something that is less likely to happen than you getting in a car accident, or having a heart attack, or a number of other things.
>>
>>2045011
>it's in their DNA
there's no scientific evidence that this is true, and at least a couple studies that say it's false.
>and that they make up most dog attack cases.
Possible depending where you live.
There are however selection and reporting biases that can't be adjusted for.
so even if it's true, it's relatively meaningless.

since /an/ isn't smart enough to understand this stuff your thread will go for 300+ posts and you'll be successful troll again.
>>
>>2046179
>there's no scientific evidence
They say it's because that's what they were bred for
>>
>>2046497
What 'they say' doesn't hold up well to actual studies and and hard evidence.
>>
>>2046499
Well it is a fact that they were bred for baiting bulls and such, and also bred for fighting
>>
>>2046179
They are much more aggressive than your average dog.
They were bread for that.
>>
>>2046503
it's sort of a fact.

most of the animals that people call pit bulls aren't purebreds. Also they haven't been bred for fighting in many years, so if we pretend that breeding changes temperament then we'd have to assume the recent breeding for docility would reverse the earlier breeding for aggression.

in reality it probably didn't have any affect on the breed though.

the most aggressive breeds according to science WEREN'T bred for fighting or aggression. So it seems more likely that breeding for a certain level of aggression simply failed.
>>
>>2046507
the only science on the subject says they're not.
>>
>>2046507
>They were bread for that
>bread
Sorry, I should've spotted the bait.
>>
>>2046510
>>2046511
Kek.
It's only partial bait, but please post your "science".
They are aggressive dogs that are more difficult to control. Albeit this does attract niggers and mexishits looking for a "tough guy" dog, and causes the breed to go more to shit, but they were bred for fighting for a good hundred years.
>work four days at the shelter
>three people come in looking at dogs
>fat ass wife
>three or four kids
>skinny ass man
>"bix nood I want a pitbull"
>"sorry sir, we don't have any ;)"
>>
File: lmgtfy.png (18KB, 666x497px) Image search: [Google]
lmgtfy.png
18KB, 666x497px
>>2046533
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159108001147
>>
>>2046537
Still says pitbulls have a high aggression rate, and the small doges is being aggressive to strangers.

Pits are most aggressive to other dogs.
>>
>>2046544
yes, my point was that overall the breed that was bred for aggression isn't the most aggressive, and all the breeds that are more aggressive weren't bred for aggression.

breeding for aggression didn't work.
>>
>>2046546
Lol. That's not what the study concluded at all.
The smallest breeds were most aggressive to strangers. As in, solitary dogs.
While the massive pitbulls were much more aggressive towards dogs.

You know, like the were bread for.
>>
>>2046552
>like the were bread for
I thought they were "bread" for bull baiting?
also,
>The smallest breeds
...Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Poodle, Rottweiler, Shetland Sheepdog and Siberian Husky

all more aggressive than pit bulls.
>>
>>2046554
Golden Retrievers, Labradors Retrievers, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Brittany Spaniels, Greyhounds and Whippets were the least aggressive toward both humans and dogs
>>
>>2046554
>Some breeds scored higher than average for aggression directed toward both humans and dogs (e.g., Chihuahuas and Dachshunds) while other breeds scored high only for specific targets (e.g., dog-directed aggression among Akitas and Pit Bull Terriers).

>Golden Retrievers, Labradors Retrievers, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Brittany Spaniels, Greyhounds and Whippets were the least aggressive toward both humans and dogs.
>>
>>2046557
yes, those are only two of the seven categories they were rated on.

I know science is confusing and you're not that smart.
try to keep up.
>>
>>2046560
Good lord.
That's what we are talking about.
Humans and dogs and the interactions between them and other dogs.
Pits are more aggressive towards other dogs.
>>
>>2046560
>patronizing
Discarded.
You're nothing but PBIDF.
They are an strong and aggressive breed.
>>
>>2046561
>That's what we are talking about
funny, since all these discussion dwell on dogs mauling people.

but you don't care about that at all! It's the way they attack other dogs that's got you all riled up!

lol
>>
>>2046562
>>patronizing
I admit I consider you a racist dipshit bred for aggression instead of intelligence.
>>
>>2046565
Who are you talking about?
There is more than one person in this thread and you're bing obstinate and blatantly lying about the shit we can all see.
Pits are more aggressive towards other dogs, and are still more aggressive towards humans.
>>
>>2045011
Pitbulls can be some of the more unpredictable breeds.

Anti-pitbull people make them out to be chaotic monsters.

Pro-pitbull people make them out to be loving babies who wouldn't harm a fly.

You're getting conflicting information because people aren't honest about pets and never will be. At best you'll get heartfelt anecdotes about individual pets and/or attacks. It's a dog. You know the risks. Make an informed decision. It's all anyone can do.
>>
>>2046563
Who is discussing dogs mauling people?
If a dog bites you it's probably your fault.
>>2046565
>Muh raycism
Kek, you're defending the people that you say perpetuate the "stereotype"
>>
>>2046570
>blatantly lying about the shit we can all see.
you're a bit stupid is all.

you don't seem to understand that retrievers for example can be less aggressive towards dogs and humans and ALSO be at the top of the aggression list.

because they're rated in more than just those two categories.

I lose patience with stupid people pretty quickly.

sorry about that, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person you've ever talked to that got bored with you and wandered off.
>>
>>2046582
>can
You use very specific words and disregard their meaning.
Statistics show that you are wrong, just because something can, doesn't mean it is more likley to be.

Fuck off moron.
>>
>>2046582
>I lose patience with stupid people pretty quickly
>can't even read a basic dog study
JUST
REDDIT
MY
SHIT
UP
>>
>>2046584
the paper I posted literally says they are.

you're fucking retarded. My apologies for that, it must suck.
>>
>>2046587
Except it doesn't.
Read it, it clearly says that Pitts are not your "won't hurt a fly omg just a steriotype" and not "maul every human to death" but are still very aggressive dogs.
You are saying the exact opposite of what the study says.
>>
>>2046587
>literally
LITERALLY
REDDIT
>>
dey good bois dey dont do nuffin

the humantriarchy is to blame for all attacks
>>
>>2046588
it literally says that golden retrievers are both least aggressive towards dogs and people AND most aggressive overall

until we grasp this simple concept we aren't having a conversation about the science because you don't understand it.

it's fine, I don't think you're going to get this.
>>
>>2046593
Except it doesn't.
It says Retrievers are the least aggressive overall.
>>
>>2046593
Where does it show this at all.
In neither the graphs nor the outline does it show this.
>>
>>2046595
so you've got dachshunds that rated highest for dog aggression and human aggression and you've got the golden which ranked the lowest for those same two categories.

and the second paragraph of the abstract begins by saying they ranked similarly overall.

so how do you think the dogs that ranked the best and the dogs that ranked the worst managed to rank the same?

just kinda curious how your brain handles this stuff.
>>
>>2046599
Good christ you've gone completly off your rocker.
The second part of the abstract details about the overall aggression, and the graphs and the first part show specific instance and comparatives.

Pits are still heavily aggressive dogs compared to others, with those listed in the second half being the least aggressive.
>>
>>2046602
>with those listed in the second half being the least aggressive.
I give up.
if you can't read this conversation isn't going anywhere.

enjoy your evening. Or morning or whatever it is in Australia.
>>
>>2046605
>says others can't read
>doesn't even comprehend a basic study
>uses the wrong data entirely
>Muh raycism
>LITERALLY
That's right, run back to
>>>/reddit/
Bitch boy
>>
>>2046602
This one might be more your speed, it's got less math:
>http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1558787806000128
>>
>>2046609
>based only on fatalities
>sets out to claim to disprove that pits are aggressive dogs
>not adjusted for population of each dog
>using data only from ausfailia
You don't know how science works do you?
Worse than Alarmists.
>>
>>2046611
>I don't understand math!
>ok little buddy, here's one with no math.
>but there's no math!
>>
File: 20160124_165327.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_165327.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2046612
>hurr durr ur stoopid
>2+ people "uh no, you're plain wrong and being obstinate about it"
>HURR DURR UR MORE STUUPID HAHAHAHAHAHA LET ME PRETEND I IZ SMART HURR DURR U IS STOOPID
>patrinization etc. etc. Muh raycism
This study is deliberately about breed specific bans and if they are justified or not, because they aren't, that doesn't mean that pits are not aggressive dogs.
Seriously, get the fuck
>>>/out/
>>
>>2046613
>>2+ people "uh no, you're plain wrong and being obstinate about it"
whoa, the idiots outnumber the intelligent? no way....
a statistical impossibility right there!
>>
File: thumbs-up1.jpg (473KB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up1.jpg
473KB, 1698x1131px
>>2046614
Ah yes, you are perfect and infallible.
Even while clearly in the wrong.
Go ahead, try some more damage control.
Maybe you'll get some upvotes.
>>
File: 1442344618589.jpg (585KB, 1200x835px) Image search: [Google]
1442344618589.jpg
585KB, 1200x835px
>>2046614
>can't even cite posts properly
You're not even trying
>>>/reddit/
This is a site for people who are a little more grown up than your average 12 year old like yourself.
>>
File: 1346981450974.png (278KB, 403x398px) Image search: [Google]
1346981450974.png
278KB, 403x398px
Pitbulls all need to be thrown into a fire and fed to the very niggers who own them.

please eat a dick pit bull owners and pitpull sympathizers, its YOU who is the cancer right along with the dog. fuck you all.
>>
>>2046625
No.
Direct this anger towards people like pug owners. Or pug bull(?) Owners.
THAT is wrong
>>
>>2046626
I have friends who's family members have been attack by these fucking dogs before. don't get pissy with me, do something about these people you seem to talk about so much faggot instead of whining like a bitch boy.

And we did try to get the owners to stop, but they still let their dogs out.

I'll say it again, this breed needs to be exterminated and all owners put in jail for borderline crimes.
>>
>>2046627
>muh anecdote!
stop being so poor and you'll never have a problem with them again.
>>
>>2046627
I disagree.
But just my opinion.
They are a very aggressive breed but that doesn't call for extermination.
Dog Nazi.
>>
>>2046630
They are all not aggressive. I raised them for decades for hog hunting and not only did they have to get along in packs but with the people that went on the hunt.
Almost 30 years with out any serious problems other than dog fights here and there but that happens with any breed. They never attacked a person. why ? Because 1 I am not a nigger and 2 I worked with and socialized my dogs everyday.
>>
i think they are scary
just like guns
they can harm others on purpose and by accident
they don't make the world a nicer place and should not be spread
too many go into wrong hands
>>
>>2046777
Mmmm my guns have never killed anyone.
>on purpose and by accident
Why, because I am a trained and responsible owner.
>>
>>2046571
Thread should have ended here. This is the only acceptable answer.
>>
File: 1452066789006.jpg (54KB, 640x458px) Image search: [Google]
1452066789006.jpg
54KB, 640x458px
>>2047036
>>2047036
But anon! This is 4chan! It's traditional to ignore the one sensible post in any thread in favour of a chance to argue your view points until someone gets bored and stops posting.
>>
pit bulls are incredibly strong dogs in both body and will, capable of great violence, and incredibly popular amongst hood rats who want guard dogs/fighting dogs. it's no surprise if they make up most dog attack cases when you take all that into account, and also the idea that no one reports anklebiting chihuahuas.

when raised properly, they are some of the gentlest silly motherfucking dogs on the planet. if you aren't a shitty owner, your pit bull will be fine.

>tfw pitbulls were banned where i live and i will never raise one from a puppy
>>
>>2047091

Don't forget to mention that they're also cheap as fuck.
They can be a perfectly fine breed, its just that unfortunately they're bought by ghetto trash and meatheads who want manly dogs but don't fucking know how to raise or control them.
>>
>>2047091
>>2047120
>>2046766
Any specific way to train and control them as opposed to other big strong breeds?
>>
>>2047125

Socialise the shit out of them.

Basically do not think of a pit as a guard dog, you want it to be the friendliest dog ever. Let it meet tons of people, dogs, other animals.

99% of the problems with german sheps/pit/staffie mixes is that people try to use them as guard dogs.
>>
>>2047125
Like >>2047128 said. "Socialize"
Mine loves to play with any other dog/animal/human that will play with him.
Living out in the country he has been raise around everything from chickens to cattle and horses and had never killed or hurt any of them though he does hate the wolf that comes around from time to time and will chase it off.
>>
>>2045011
When looking at research, here's the thing you're going to want to look at:
>Who funded the research
>Is there an agenda
>Who did the study
>How did the do the study and what was the sample size

That alone should help tremendously for getting an idea of what the conflicting research is shilling for. Research is almost ALWAYS shilling because of some big company or government paying the bills.

Research aside, if you look at owning a Pit Bull from a financial side you run into these problems:
>In the US Home Owners insurance may raise their rates for you having a pit bull
>If you manage property, your insurance may go up if your tenants own a pit bull.
>If you are a tenant looking for a rental, you may find it difficult because of the above reason.
>Home Owners Associations frequently do not allow them in the community.
>Finally due to the bad image they scare people. This will make socializing them difficult when you go to parks.

Don't get me wrong, I love ALL dogs. I think they're all cute as fuck and I'd have tons of them if I could care for em. You have to be realistic when considering a long term commitment.

If I was dead set on getting a pit, this would be my ideal situation
>Owning a house with a good relationship with the neighbors.I would take my time introducing them. Offer food/gifts to the neighbors to smooth the inconvenience over.
>Insurance company that's a-ok with a pit or that I can pay more for it.
>Good group of friends with some dogs to get the pit socialized with.
>Volunteer for a therapy or working dog program to garner more positive community view.

I feel like the biggest key is having the community on your side. Letting your dogs character be known. If your neighbors know and are comfortable with your dog, they can help protect you. Especially if anyone ever tries to claim your dog is a violent beast. You literally have to treat your dog like a politician.
>>
>>2047204
Don't forget the things that you should not do with your pit like battle crop the ears, dock the tail and put on a big ass leather collar with spikes.
You don't want to give it the appearance that a nigger with a crack house owns it.
>>
>>2047270
I read that pitts sometimes eat their tails out of boredom, how true is this? I mean, I know a bunch of dogs run in circles around it, but that's different.
>>
>>2047508
I have never herd or seen such a thing and I have owned many pits.
>>
>>2047270
That's also a really good point. Appearance is everything. If your dog looks like a nig nog dog people are gonna be spooked.

Put the dog in a goofy outfit and people will probably be more inclined to not be scared.

I hate docking tails and cropping the ears. Makes me sad. The ears are SO cute.
>>
Just adopted my Pit/Chinese Shar Pei mix about three weeks ago. Sweetest dog. They're definitely high energy once they get comfortable in their environment, but he really just needs consistent behavioral training and then he'll be a model dog. Don't believe any of the bullshit online.

His only hang up is that he seems super nervous around men other than myself. May have had bad experiences with them before arriving at the shelter.
>>
>>2047508

That sounds like a spurious post hoc justification for tail docking.

Some animals (and people) will mutilate themselves if they are extremely bored, stressed, or neglected, so there may be some vague grain of truth to this idea but I doubt it.
>>
Pit bull was originally used as a nickname for the American Pit Bull Terrier (http://www.adbadog.com/p_pdetails.asp?fpid=32), a breed of dog recognized by a few kennel clubs. To be an American pit bull terrier, the dog would have to be pure bred.

However, over the years (too complicated to explain in 2000 words), pit bull has become a much broader term. Legally it now means American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier, any mix of those three breeds, and any apparent mix of those three breeds.

Well now, with 'apparent mix' thrown in, anything someone considers to be a pit bull is, well, a pit bull in the eyes of the law. That caused issues in some areas where breed, legally, meant a lot, such as places with breed bans. Many places implemented a pit bull criteria check list to distinguish what makes a dog 'look' like a pit bull. This chart http://www.ci.kearney.mo.us/pdf/Pit-Bull-Criteria.pdf is used in many places with BSL like Denver. However, that checklist would make many breeds, like Labs, considered pit bulls.

That being said, your dog is not an APBT, it's not a pure breed of anything. It is a mutt. Because it is a mutt, nothing definite can be said about your dog. Maybe your dog has APBT in it, which while social, may be prone to dog aggression. Or maybe its a Staffy mix, which are known companion dogs. Or it could even be mixed with lab, boxer, bulldog, mastiff etcetc, all with different traits and personalities. If you are concerned about the breed, get a DNA test. For the time being though, with ANY puppy, you should socialize with strangers and strange dogs, and properly train it. Any dog can become aggressive, and you're dealing with the unknown.
>>
>>2047508
Mostly seen in herding dogs, but it can sometimes happen with other dogs too. It happens with severe neglect; basically a dog in a cage or kennel most of it's day for many days. It's easily fixed with vet care, bandaging, a cone and not severely neglecting your dog. If your dog is chewing it's tail, you have a bigger problem than that.

What does often happen, though, is dogs that wag a lot and have long, strong whip-like tails end up getting something called 'happy tail'. Again, unless your dog lives in concrete, it's not very common. Many shelters have to dock dogs for this reason, because the dogs need to be kenneled, and no one wants to take a dog home that is bleeding, so a late dock operation is done so the dog can get adopted.
>>
>>2046067
>the puppy's father is really really aggressive, he attacked multiple dogs and almost killed them for no reason

red flag dude.. walk away in my opinion.
>>
>>2045011
Alright op I skimmed through the thread and it seems like mostly arguing and nobody actually answering the question. So! I am a volunteer at a shelter in my county and we get a lot of pit bulls. I have worked with pits and many have really harsh backgrounds but they are still sweet dogs. If this is your first time getting a dog, don't be a fucking idiot. Pits are big dogs. They need a good handler and a somewhat experienced owner. Another thing to consider is where you live. For example, there's a county near me that does not allow pit bulls at all. Even if the dog looks like a pit they will make you give up the dog. Another thing is if you don't own your house you have to check with your land lord. The major thing to keep in mind is that pits were bred to fight which is why some counties outlaw them. If they keep all pits out that means no chances of fighting pits. At the end of the day, pits are absolutely lovable dogs and just like any other dog, there are some individuals in the breed that have been treated wrong and no longer can be adopted out. So if you want a pit and can provide for a pit please get one! There is no need to be afraid of them they're super playful and absolutely goofy dogs. I saw a few people mention that there aren't actual studies saying pits are bad and blah blah blah which is all true! But like I said, they were bred for fighting which is why some landlords won't allow them, just to keep dogs fights out of the possibilities of what you're doing under their roof. That's it. Please adopt whatever dog you choose, don't buy from a breeder or pet store.
>>
>>2048128
>which is why some landlords won't allow them, just to keep dogs fights out of the possibilities of what you're doing under their roof.
this is perhaps the worst understanding of tort law and liability insurance I've ever read. Also a misunderstanding of legalized racism.

well done.

do landlords also ban glue so you don't huff in their building, or grow lamps so you don't grow weed? Guns so you don't murder and cars so you don't park illegally? Knives, ropes, cards, telephones, superglue, glass cutters, gloves, dice, baseball bats and anything else you might use in a crime?

just fucking with you. But seriously, that's not why landlords often disallow pit bulls.
>>
>>2045011

Theyre great and absolute adorable Dogs, be sure to raise and train them well. Their problems are the same as the Rottweilers´s are: They have a huuuuuge Heart, so they feel like protect a lot. Make em clear, youre the one that is protecting the pack so they dont have to.

No dogs for beginners i would say. But wayyy easier to train as fkn poodles, tackles or corgis.
>>
Pit bulls i like but they have a tendency to turn against you out of the blue. Kid got mauled by his 3 pitbulls a week ago btw.
>>
pitbulls should be gassed. nuff said.
>>
>>2049698
>they have a tendency to turn against you out of the blue. Kid got mauled by his 3 pitbulls a week ago btw.
anecdotal assumption anon

>kid got mauled by his 3 pitbulls a week ago btw
you know how many dog attacks happen all the time, right? it's just that the ones involving pitbulls are the only ones news outlets have interest in reporting
>>
>>2049706
as should you
>>
out of all the pits I have had (and I had lots) I only had 1 that I had to put down because it was just fucking mean and I was not going to give it a chance to hurt someone
>>
>>2046592
blame cats, those pompous fucking dick heads, bunch of pussies if you ask me.
>>
>>2046777
don't take my guns you commie bastard.
>>
>>2045026
>it's so common for shitty owners to get a pitbull as a status symbol in their ghetto neighborhood.
some evidence to support this is the pet section on craigslist.
>>
>>2045054
someone with no money who looks on craigslist for a dog.
>>
>>2046509
yes they have been and still are quite often bred for fighting. at least in the US.
>>
>>2046557
my beagle has been attacked by several goldens and labs walking off leash in my privately-owned woods. Usually when I see someone walking a dog on my land their dog is aggressive towards both my dog and myself. i suppose it's enough evidence that they're bad owners when they dont give a shit about the posted signs which indicate the land is private and, at least in my area, most likely hunted on.

it's weird how people act like they did nothing wrong and never apologize after it happens. then when I tell them they're trespassing, they need to leave, and I could legally shoot both them and their dog, they get mad and act like I'm the one doing something wrong.

I've even told someone who was walking their dog off leash in a public area, letting it (a lab) wander around off trail maybe 100 feet (leash laws apply), to put their dog on a leash, they said their dog needs its off leash time. The town has a dog park, which I reminded them, but their dog "doesn't get along with other dogs."

maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread. the moral is that, at least in my own experience, a dog is typically aggressive because their owners are negligent or don't respect other people.
>>
I've been around pitbulls since I was a wee lad, and the only one that bit me was a puppy that decided humans were better to teeth on than her toys.
Raise them well and they'll probably be nicer than your neighbors.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.