[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dog/ - Dog General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 56

File: some poodle mix.jpg (128KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
some poodle mix.jpg
128KB, 750x750px
Ask dog questions that don't deserve their own threads here.

Dog Kibble and Wet food ingredients/nutrition guide:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Dog breeds:
http://www.justdogbreeds.com/all-dog-breeds.html

Previous thread:
>>2033108
>>
How do I get my puppy to calm down around my cat? She always follows the cat around very nervously and shakes like a vibrater with epilepsy. Then proceeds to get frustrated with kitty cause he won't play with her, and gets hissed/swatted by cat. Kitty is a bro so I'm not worried about him, he doesn't give a fuck unless the puppy really messes with him. Is this normal? Can they become best buds eventually? I'm sure some anons here have experience with this
>>
File: IMG_0244.webm (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0244.webm
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>2043950

Keep introducing them casually, and keep on doing your daily routine, showing that the cat is a friend by showing affection, etc.
Like with most things involving pups, its all about repetition.

I wouldn't go out of your way to get them friendly with eachother, it kinda just happens naturally from my experience.
>>
File: Admiral Snow.gif (3MB, 306x408px) Image search: [Google]
Admiral Snow.gif
3MB, 306x408px
Who /snowdogs/ here?
>>
File: 1453558210552.webm (3MB, 224x398px) Image search: [Google]
1453558210552.webm
3MB, 224x398px
>>
How can I make my dog stop being afraid of descending stairs? She'll go up the stairs but not down, been like this for the last 2 weeks all of a sudden. A couple months ago she was also suddenly scared of going down the stairs but after a few days she got over it. She's pretty jumpy and still scared of dumb stuff that has startled her from over a year ago like backpacks and retractable dog leashes. Claws are not too long, treats dont work. She'll go down if I pick her up and put her down on the first step but not sure if it helps or makes it worse
>>
>>2044257
HES TRYING TO BURY HIS FOOD
ALSO HE'S RUBBING HIS NOSE RAW
>>
Do pitbulls make good pets? I don't wanna judge it from all the stereotypes so can anyone confirm of deny? Thanks
>>
File: mini bull terrier.jpg (75KB, 300x350px) Image search: [Google]
mini bull terrier.jpg
75KB, 300x350px
Maybe getting a new dog soon, it'll be this mini bull terrier pup if I do. How does walking work with puppies? Should I wait until he gets bigger before taking him out or should I go for short walks and progressively get longer as he gets bigger?
>>
File: Ruffwear Front Range Harness.jpg (158KB, 840x622px) Image search: [Google]
Ruffwear Front Range Harness.jpg
158KB, 840x622px
What are some comfortable harness for dogs?

My puppy doesn't seem too comfortable in his current harness, which just has straps.

Is pic related worth the price?
>>
>>2044338
No. They are usually aggressive due to inbreeding issues. Many places have laws against owning pits them as well, investigate that before deciding.
>>
>>2044607
short walks that get progressively get longer is better, I think. It help with leash manners in my experience
>>
Recently moved to the coast and the salt from the ocean (or maybe the weather) has been giving us all dry skin. I was wondering if anyone knew of any dog friendly shampoos or conditioners that I might be able to use to help my dogs skin. She's getting pretty dry and flaky even with water added to her food and her drinking plenty.
>>
>>2044820
That's bullshit, anon.
>>
How do I train a dog to not choke himself on a leash? He'll pull til he's a coughing fit. I've tried the straps that push on the muzzle but it feels like he's going to break his muzzle when he pulls. Its like full strength pulling.

We rescued him so he's an adult and wasn't trained. He's a great dog but its hard to walk him.
>>
>>2044826
start supplementing her with vitamin e or fish oil. it's difficult to use shampoo to combat a dog's dry skin because bathing too often will cause dry skin, but find something with oatmeal or aloe in it.

no more than twice a week I puncture a (400) vitamin e pill and squirt the contents on my dog's paws, and he licks it off. I also feed him food made with salmon as its main protein.
>>
>>2044841
I'll ask the vet about the fish oil, but you think oatmeal in water and maybe some mineral oil might work? I don't want to use actual soap if I can avoid it.
>>
File: 20151223_131413(0)-min.jpg (1MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151223_131413(0)-min.jpg
1MB, 3984x2988px
Woofu~
>>
>>2043923
What are the best dog treats I can get for training my puppy? Preferably ones I can pick up at Petco
>>
>>2044882
Look for freeze dried liver that can be broken into small pieces easily.
>>
>>2044882
my advise would be not to get treats that have to much of a smell like bacon treats. My dog would do a task and I would give him a bacon treat then he would not do anything else because the smell was so strong and he would just follow me wanting more.
>>
>>2043923
Who is that total babe?
>>
>>2044890
Bryan Callen
>>
>>2044891
Woof
>>
>>2044707
How long have you had it? Most pups find their harnesses/collars uncomfortable early on. Don't splurge on a harness you'll have to ditch in a month, I'd say. Wait until she's all grown up.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Rate my wiener
>>
>>2044835
>Pitbulls were literally bred to be fighting machines
>Pitbulls are unpredictable, high energy, big jawed beasts
>if you somehow mess their education and they end up biting someone, it's gonna end badly
>people will recognise you as ghetto scum or white trash
>>
File: keeshond-dog-on-the-grass-photo.jpg (267KB, 1000x1031px) Image search: [Google]
keeshond-dog-on-the-grass-photo.jpg
267KB, 1000x1031px
I want to get a puppy eventually and I've been researching breeds that would be best, but I don't want to get one unless I'm absolutely sure I can train it. Does anyone know any good sites or books or whatever that can show me the ropes of training a pup?

Pic related. It's the beautiful fucking ball of dog I really want to get.
>>
>>2044840
I've read about some harnesses that have the loop (to which is attached the leash) on the front.
When the dog pulls it makes it turn around
The dog won't choke on the leash since it's a harness, and yet it doesn't give him full strength as a regular harness would

Anyway that's not something I personally know of
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-08-23-39-27.png (599KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-08-23-39-27.png
599KB, 960x540px
Rate

Also, guess what he is a mix of

Black lab + ___________
>>
>>2044964
Fat
>>
>>2044964
Big
>>
File: DSC_0180.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0180.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
What do you guys think of my bordercollie/poodle mix I've had him 4 years now his name is ted
>>
File: 06187.gif (45KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
06187.gif
45KB, 650x450px
>go to rescue centre website
>look at dogs
>they're so fucking cute and I want to adopt all of them
Why do I do this to myself?
>>
>>2045078
Go voulenteer.
Just spend one full day there. Do it.
It makes you feel tons better
>>
>>2044338
If you want something similar to a pitbull in terms of looks but has really good temperament, look into a staffordshire bull terrier.
>>
Can harnesses make a puppy's rib cage grow to be deformed?

I was at my friends house and i noticed her pups harness looked pretty tight and her ribs would very SLIGHTLY flare out at the lower ribs like this: ) (

instead of being shaped like this: ( )
>>
Got a new doggo today and she is a real beauty, she is springer spaniel/lab but is extremely spaniel like.

We took her on a 200 mile journey home and not once did she cry,she is less than a year old and even though she is a rescue dog she is perfect, but she does not bark at all.

When a loud train horn went off no sound
When a massive german shepard passed by and started snarling still no anger. have i found a really calm dog or what. Any tips as she is scared of going upstairs.
>>
>>2045289
A. She was probably scared shit less the whole time
B. Spaniels are fucking retard doggos.
>>
File: image.jpg (158KB, 640x620px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158KB, 640x620px
>>2044243
I wish I had a video of mine frolicking in the snow. I just have this photo of him being majestic while surrounded by snow
>>
I want to introduce a new dog in the house, but I have a dog (rottweiler) already.
>>
>>2045309
Confirmation of spaniels being tarded/annoying as fuq
>>
>>2045399
Rub pillows on each dog and switch.
Then put a barrier between them.
Make small introductions and progressions.
>>
File: 2016-01-25 11.51.59 1.jpg (3MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-25 11.51.59 1.jpg
3MB, 2592x1936px
>>2045256
Yah heaps of people have staffys here in Australia. They get a bad rep because much like pitbulls, Bogan cunts get them and make them aggressive. But the friendly ones are super nice and good for other dogs to play with because they are small and fast.

Here's my girl on the left hanging out with her dog park crush.
>>
>>2045289
Yeah my rescue was quiet for the first few weeks. She still doesn't ever bark at home or at passing dogs but at the park she does. Mind you she is a working dog so it's in her nature to run around other dogs making a whole lot of racquet. She's getting better though.
>>
>>2045464
ACDs are so cute.
>>
File: 2016-01-25 12.05.45.jpg (2MB, 1845x1589px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-25 12.05.45.jpg
2MB, 1845x1589px
>>2045468
Yeah mines a rescue pupper. Had her a bit longer than a month. She learns so damn quick it makes training so easy. She loves chasing birds though. Lucky she has good recall.
>>
>>2045464
Lol yeah, i even had a bogan fella tell me once that his dog was a pitbull when it was clearly a staffy.
>>
>>2045487
A good indicator to leave the park is when a flat bed ute rocks up with a couple staffy mutts on the tray pull up. Usually a predictable 'such as life sticker' is on the back windshield.
>>
Is this how labs are supposed to look, slender and nimble?

All the labs I've seen IRL are fat as shit compared to this guy.
>>
>>2045702
That's the healthiest lab I've seen in a while.
Yes anon, that's how they're supposed to look.
>>
What's a good way to practice off leash walking for my dog. We go out bush a bit and really enjoy ourselves, but sometimes I find myself frustrated and calling her back because she walks off to quick or chases something. Her recall is decent but what should I do to get her to follow more closely on walks? I was thinking sing recall training on a long line, but I feel this won't a dress the immediate problem of her taking off.

Does it start on the leash and doing heel whilst walking?
>>
>>2044826
Oatmeal dog shampoos. Don't over-bathe your dog. There are also paw pad and nose creams if either of those are chapped
>>
>>2044840
I'd suggest taking him to a training class. The harness that the other anon mentioned is also helpful. If you use a head harness that seems like it will break, find a way to also attach the leash to his collar
>>
>>2044925
9/10 would stroke
>>
I need some advice about crate training. I've had my pup for about 10 days, he is 6 months old. I'm having a hard time getting him to go in his crate on his own or stay in there when the door is open. I typically lure him in there with a treat, shut the door behind him, then give him another treat when he stops whining (which is usually about a minute)I know they say never to force them in there but there have been times I needed to go to sleep/work and couldn't lure him in there.

Tldr I need advice on getting my pup to love his crate and go there/stay there on his own.

P.s. I always feed him his meals in the crate. That should be helping right?
>>
>>2045786
It can take a while.

Don't try to rush it.

It sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to.
>>
>>2045772
Maybe try treats every when she stays close to you? Start after 30 seconds or something, slowly build it up to a few minutes. I never trained my dog to walk off leash as he's just naturally a clingy baby but I can imagine that would work?
>>
>>2043923
My brothers dog always gives me this weird sideways look showing the whites of her eyes. It kinda creeps me out. What is she doing
>>
File: 20151224_191756.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151224_191756.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2045840
Shes a black lab cross
>>
>>2045837
I just looked up training positive on YouTube. The guy is an absolute beast when it comes to training dogs. I suggest to others.
>>
>>2045154
That's a pretty good idea, actually. I wouldn't mind scooping poops if I could pet the dog while I was there.
>>
>>2045786
Have you considered not crating him?
You know it's not a mandatory requirement, right?
>>
How do I get my dog to stop barking at everyone who walks by the house? Whenever he barks I put him in his cage and tell him no and be quiet. When he is quiet I tell him good boy and give him a treat. I take him for a walk and wear him out, he comes home and still barks. I don't close the blinds because if I do he just jumps in them and breaks them

what do I do
>>
>>2046276
First figure out why he's barking.

My dog only barks at people outside when I'm home. If I'm not home and he doesn't need to "alert" me, he doesn't bark at all. I haven't gotten him completely over barking yet, but now I have it at a point where he'll bark once and let me come look out the window, say "it's okay", and I can go back to whatever i was doing. If I don't check and reassure him, that's when he starts barking madly. This is working for me, but generally you should look up how to teach the "quiet" command.
>>
Hey. So chaining dogs in a yard 24/7 is very bad we know that, but what about only for some time? When I leave to work I can't leave the dog in the house or he'll destroy the place, so I have a very long chain ( like 10 meters) and I chain him to it, he gets to move around but it keeps him safe from possibly climbing the fence and running away chasing some cat.. Also in the night he stays in what used to be a supply room in the yard ( with a cozy bed and blanket and all), for the same reason I keep him chained too. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong, I walk him and play with him and socialize and everything.
>>
>>2046349
Leaving your dog unwatched for several hours is a very bad idea.
Especially not to chain him up.
When I was 7 my neighbors chained their German Shepherd up, it chased a squirrel up over the fence and hanged itself.

I was the one to discover it late in the afternoon.

Send him to doggy daycare or get a big ass fenced in cage with a roof.
>>
>>2046322
Yeah I have gone over to him and tried to reassure him too, he does seem to quiet down a bit. I will look into the quiet command more

It's my parents dog and they never socialized him or trained him to not resource gaurd so I think that's why he does it
>>
Should I adopt an old dog from a shelter or buy a puppy online? What are advantages and disadvantages?
>>
>>2046349
Lol a cage with a roof isn't necessary, you aren't dealing with a panther. However what it your yard like? If your fence isn't 6 foot then you may need to upgrade. Is he closed in? What breed is he? What makes you think he will run.
>>
>>2046426
Get it fedexed to you.
>>
>>2046426
Adopt a puppy from a shelter.
>>
>>2046450
There are never puppies in a shelter where I am
>>
>>2046458
Find one.
Don't support the industry of puppies from breeders unless you need them for a specific perpose.
>>
>>2044607
Fuck Bull Terriers, unless you keep them tied up constantly they will maul other dogs
>>
>>2044964
Rottie + entire pantry
>>
my 11 week old puppy didn't eat dinner. rip her life.
>>
>>2046531
If she is underweight
PEANUTBUTTER
>>
>>2045702
Yes but no. The original working line labrador only came in black and looked like that. Over the years cross breeding to get yellow and brown resulted in heavier dogs coming about. Yellow labs wont be that small due to other breeds being in the mix but will still be very healthy with loose skin without being obese
>>
>>2046523
My ass
>>
>>2046534
omg i can put peanut butter in the kong thing.
>>
>>2046548
Fill it with the benut butters and then freeze it over night.
>>
File: Shoveldog.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shoveldog.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2044964
>>2044977
>>2044980
>>2046526

N-no
>>
My dog had her yearly checkup yesterday, she had whipworms in her fecal test. Am I at risk for this? We share a bed and food sometimes.
>>
I need some help with my puppy

I got him when he was five months old and he had a small problem with play biting hands. I tried the method where you say OUCH really loud, or make a high pitched noise of pain like a puppy and then stopped playing with him for a minute.

Unfortunately this seems to have had the opposite affect. The yelp excites him, and now he bites harder and grabs mouth fulls of my clothes to pull. When I try to redirect him onto a toy, he shoves it aside to get to my hands.

I'll be seeking the help of a trainer soon (he really needs the chance to socialize anyway), but I wondered if anyone here had some advice for me so I can get started correcting this right away.
>>
>>2046795
>five months old

Whoever had him before you should never have let this go on this long.
>>
>>2046804
Why? Not him, but i've read in this thread that a dog really shines at around 10 months old because that's when biting is pretty much eliminated, they become potty trained, they're less obnoxious etc.

What's wrong with a pup that still nibbles at 5 months? Isn't it normal?
>>
The other day a dog followed me halfway to my university. I live in a small town so it wasn't a huge distance. He was really friendly and had no tags, just a collar. There was nobody around when I first came across him. I didn't want him to follow me but he was young and didn't stay when I told him to and I was running late so I couldn't search for his owner.

My question is, what should I do if this happens in the future? Is there an organization I should call? What if he followed me home? What if it was late and the weather would be hazardous to leave him in?
>>
>>2046843
you can call your local animal control. they'll be able to search him for a chip and hold him safely until some one claims him.
>>
>>2046349
>destroy the place
Then train him not too?
Give him toys that'll occupy him for a while, like frozen kongs with soft cheese in and stuff. And do teach him that whenever you leave, you always come back.
>>
File: 10812.jpg (85KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
10812.jpg
85KB, 1080x810px
Babby wieners.
>>
>>2046795
Get out, literally.
Leave him alone whenever he bites too hard, he'll pick it up.
If you can't trust him to be alone, stand up, cross your arms and look at the ceiling, stop moving.

>>2046818
m8 they learn not to bite too hard when they play with their littermates and mom.
If he's got painful teeth growth around 4~6, he's not going to bite hard, he's going to try to chew stuff.
>>
File: 20160124_165315.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_165315.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2046720
Black labradurr
Fat as shit, stop feeding it so much
>>
>>2046843
Either call animal control or take it to a clinic/shelter for a microchip scan. And search your local lost and found ads in case anyone posted about missing him.

If you're interested in keeping him, most shelters will have a 7-day hold period after a stray animal comes in which gives the owners a chance to claim it. If nobody steps forward you can adopt him
>>
>>2044964
all who call this dog fat, are wrong imo, labs are a "fat" breed, ive got a chocolate lab of 4 y/o and she weighs about 35 kg, wich would probs make her fatter than this black lab and my vet always tells me how healthy and not-overweight she is
>>
So my pup is 6 months now.
She sleeps about from 10pm to 6am, and then from 2pm to 6pm. Is it too much? She's pretty active in the morning, meeting a few doggy friends and playing loads with her bestie; in the evening she's just a pet and plays with us or lies down either without sleeping or with short naps, until she goes to bed.
>>
>work at shelter
>5 puppies come in on same day from different places
>one of them is 4 months old and deaf
>find fosters for all of them except her
>take her home myself
>have 8 month old pup at home
>everything goes well at first, they have fun playing in yard
>go inside
>still going well
>realize she resource guards the couch
>growls at and stares down my dog if he goes near her while she's on it
>keep her off couch to avoid this
>my dog runs over and sniffs her as she tries getting on it again
>she turns and they get in fight
>my dog normally loves other dogs but doesn't take no shit and fights back
>she has a very small wound on the back of her leg now
>tfw keeping them in separate rooms for the night and bringing her back to the shelter tomorrow

I feel really sad and like I failed. just wanted to vent. I really like her so bummed it didn't work out
>>
>>2046954
Or your vet does not want to insult the overweight owner. (A dog takes after its master)
>>
>>2047017
I wish my pup slept that much. About the same age but after sleeping 10pm-7am he's pretty much awake and active all day apart from a few short naps he might take.
>>
>>2047377
worry not anon, theyre pups and one isnt trained by you.
>>
>>2047379
tru
>>
What defines good bite inhibition?

Is it the ability for a pup to not bite/mouth at all, or is it the ability for a pup to bite/mouth really softly?

My pup does the latter, is that normal behaviour for a 4 month pup?

>>2047377
Why are you bringing her back? Can't this behaviour be trained out?
>>
>>2047461
because the level and intensity of the fight was pretty severe, she did get injured (not badly though) as well and there were two other minor fights. I simply don't feel like I can safely keep her in my house during the training process, since training for something like this does take a lot of time
>>
>>2047462
That's a shame, sorry you had to go through that anon. Makes you wonder how her previous owners treated her.
>>
File: 1350976165553.jpg (538KB, 2736x2052px) Image search: [Google]
1350976165553.jpg
538KB, 2736x2052px
I'm getting a cat-friendly dog this weekend,and I have a cat who hasn't lived around dogs. I think that the cat will be fine after the initial adjustment period, but how will I know when they're completely comfortable with being alone unsupervised?

I know some people whose cats and dogs get along fine, but since this is my first time owning a dog, should I just keep them in separate rooms at all times while they're unsupervised?
>>
I mean this as a serious question. Do yall fap when your dog is in the room? I've found myself not having much opportunity to fap privately and its starting to get to me.
>>
>>2047529
No.
>>
>>2044338
Yes. Just do some research into the breeders or shelter you want to get a dog from. If you are laid back or lazy most pits will not be the dog for you. Some can be complete couch potatos.
>>
>>2046458
petfinder then dumbass
>>
>>2045772
>off leash walking
you don't, it's a terrible idea
>>
>>2045256
they have virtually the same temperament
>>
>>2047529
>fapping
>dog walks into room and hops onto bed to see what Senpai is doing
>mmmm smells delicious senpai
>*lick**lick*
>WHAT THE FUCK SNSGAJW NA HAHEBDJDIUFI
>always remeber to shut my door now
>>
>>2047529
Never. Rarely idly look at porn before leaving for a more private place.
>>
Can you damage a dogs windpipe/voicebox by choking the dog?
>>
>>2047529
Me and my girl had sex last night while the dog was still in the room. I'm not quite sure how i feel about that situation...
>>
File: 1436333835468.jpg (52KB, 469x500px) Image search: [Google]
1436333835468.jpg
52KB, 469x500px
>>2047615
Sometimes we do it in the heat of the moment without crating her little doxie, and it's just jumping up at the bed, unable to get up, while we're fucking. Just got to brush it off and keep going, there's no stopping now.
>>
Thoughts on the breed kelpie?
>>
Anyone have any experience with a dog that eats it's own shit? It's annoying because on top of being gross every time I let my dog outside he needs to be supervised if I don't want him heading over to where he pooped earlier and eating it
>>
>>2047857
How good is his digestion?

Many animals, including dogs, try to eat their own poop and poop of others when they have indigestion.

There are studies that showed eating the poop of health digesters can actually rebalance your gut bacteria.

You might want to try giving him pro-biotics pills for dogs (pet stores will have them) or even change his food.
>>
>>2047621
Like any Australian working dog, God tier. If you are active or can take your pup out for a few hours a day then a good breed for you. Typically they run from confrontation too so that's a bonus.
>>
>>2045372
That is pretty fucking majestic
>>
File: 2016-infiniti-qx80-limited-05.jpg (169KB, 1280x925px) Image search: [Google]
2016-infiniti-qx80-limited-05.jpg
169KB, 1280x925px
Does this seem like a good chew toy for my dog?

It's only $80K.
>>
>>2048205
The acrylic coatings and varnishes could break off and lodge in the throat. Not recommended.
>>
I didn't get a non joke answer last time but

>dog is 11-13 years old
>100% staffordshire terrier so "pit bull"
>I'm watching her for her current owner that adopted her about six months back
>laid back indoors, doesn't give a fuck unless she sees a cat or gets spooked by loud noises
>very vocal, she barks when she's happy, sad, begging and reacts to a lot of things by barking
>loves people, can bring strangers indoors
>On the leash however...
>Dog has never been leash trained before her owner adopted her
>dog is, but used to be far more frantic on the leash
>leash reactivity
>barks at people and lunges at them
>oh shit
>avoid walking towards other people with her
>one time, guy startles us and she barks, he asks if he can pet her
>i-uh I don't know
>he insists
>she loves him and has him pet her
>wat
>I ask a few people she barks at if they wouldn't mind petting her
>she barks and lunges at them until she's at their feet and just stops caring and has them pet her
>she doesn't bark at little little kids at all
>trying to figure out way for her to stop scaring people and be generally uncaring on the leash

Pls help
>>
Hey guys, lately I've been thinking about getting myself a Pembroke Corgi and I was wondering if you got any good tips or tricks in finding a good breeder? It's going to be my first dog, but I've had cats for about 14 years and my brother has a dog himself so he could help me if I run into any problems.
>>
So I'm at witts end and getting a shock collar.

My dog chases other dogs at the park when their ball is thrown for them and sometimes nips their neck aggressively. I've tried training it out of her but she just doesn't listen to any responses once the ball is thrown. Im getting over it and from what I've researched this is the next best step.

What are some good pointers when using a shock collar? Could I also use it when I'm doing long line training and she darts off after something?
>>
>>2048619
you're going to create collar sensitivity and in all likelihood making her behavior towards other dogs worse. shock collars can easily make her associate dogs playing with what she views as hers with fear, and since she's already going after them for it you're playing with fire. you can easily fuck up and make her dog-aggressive or make her resource guarding worse

sounds like you need to focus on her potential resource guarding and some sort of leave it command and/or recall
>>
>>2048626
Her recall training is going well. I started off with long line stuff and now she sprints back to me when I call. She doesn't resource guard at all. She does t even like fetch either. She only chases balls in the back yard.

When we get to the park she's usually pretty good when there are heaps of dogs but the moment there's alot she starts running barking. Then worse case scenario she chases dogs chasing balls. When she sees them getting ready for their master to throw a ball she becomes fixated on the dog then as soon as the ball is thrown and they run she nips their neck sometimes.

When she does this I growl at her, call her back and usually leave the park immediately. What else could I possibly do? Get someone at the park to team up with me and let me try train her whilst they throw the ball?
>>
>>2048619
Dog collars are effective but might make her scared like >>2048626 said. It will most likely stop aggression. My dad was hunting with his dog, and she saw a cat and bolted. Dad blasted her with the collar for obvious reasons, she went flying, and she avoided cats for the rest of her life(probably thought the cat did it to her). Do what you will anon, good luck
>>
>>2048634
>She doesn't resource guard at all.
evidently she does, since she's going after dogs for the balls that she feels are hers or that she wants

just because she may be okay with you or other people doesn't mean she doesn't have resource guarding with other dogs. have you seen her behavior with other dogs in a not dog park setting?

also yes, getting a friend with a well behaved dog to help you with training is probably the best way to go by the sound of it.

and you may want to also accept that she isn't suited for dog parks. which is perfectly fine, not all dogs are and isn't doing any good to push it if this is the only big issue she has. most people don't realize that adult dogs typically aren't naturally that into large play groups like you find in a dog park. it can be stressful for them
>>
>>2048667
Maybe I have the definition of resource guarding wrong but she never goes for other dogs balls or even acknowledges them. It's almost like someone taught her to go for a running dog.

When I take her to other people's houses with dogs she is great. Gets really excited and has a few dog friends at the park she loves. They chase her and run around together and give each other face licks. This is what makes it peculiar. What are some good methods for resource guarding if it is that? And am I doing the correct thing by growling at her once she nips and then taking her out of the park and home?
>>
>>2048667
Some dogs like to chase. Simple as that. My dog was the same when he was much younger, every time i ran from him he'd sprint and nip at my heels. I don't understand why you're assuming the dog is resource guarding, or has any care at all for the balls when OP has never mentioned such things.
>>
>>2048729
Yeah op here for that matter. I think he may have been misinformed, my grammar is lazy on here.

So what did you do to help curb the habits? Or is it better for me to just prevent is best I can and if it comes to thr situation of it happening, correct her behaviour?
>>
>>2046523
I don't believe you, I'm getting one anyway. Hopefully one day you'll find someone who actually socialized their bull terrier and trained it and you'll stop thinking badly of these guys.
>>
So with crate training they're obviously supposed to sleep in the crate every night. If I take naps with my pup in my bed is that contradicting? Or if I let him sleep in my bed overnight once every couple weeks or once a month or whatever is that gonna delay him getting used to the crate?

He also isn't at the point where he goes to his crate to nap when he's sleepy. He tends to nap on the couch while I'm watching tv or playing vidya or whatever. Should I deprive him of napping next to me until he learns he needs to sleep in the crate?
>>
What kind of dog is ideal for a first time dog owner?
>>
>>2048884
Gsd. They're low maintenance, low energy, require little training or exercise.
>>
>>2048958
I love had and have had them all my life but they need plenty of training. They're smart so they learn quickly but they will also test you. Even for someone who has trained dogs before puppy classes are a must to teach good manners in public and with other dogs.
>>
>>2048972
*GSDs
>>
File: 20160125_165821.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160125_165821.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
My pup is 4 wks old i adopted him when he was 2 wks old, he have this habit of licking feet and chewing on my shoes now he also bites my leg and feet although his teeth aren't sharp enough but sometimes it hurts when i push him away and make angry sound saying NO he pulls away for sec then again come back to my feet he actually start to take it as game he bites i push him away he again jumps on me...
*how i train him not to do this
*should i get vaccinated against rabies prophylactically
He is in pic
>>
>>2048985
>My pup is 4 wks old i adopted him when he was 2 wks old

pls no
>>
How do I get my puppy to stop biting my parents pants and housecoats. When she bites we can walk away but when she grabs on what do you do?

She's 11 weeks old, and still nips a lot. Is that normal?
>>
Would an hour and a half to two hours of running a day, when combined with some mental exercise (obedience/scent training/mainly feeding with kongs/puzzle balls) be enough to keep some sort of hound/ridgeback in the city without it going mental?
>>
>>2048729
>My dog chases other dogs at the park when their ball is thrown for them
>and sometimes nips their neck aggressively
>aggressively
>>
>>2048989
Yes it's quite normal at that age. I've found that retrievers take an especially long time to grow out of this 'mouth' stage since carrying stuff in their mouths is what they were bred for.

You get her to stop by distracting her. When you see this happen, grab a toy and praise the hell out of her when she bites the toy instead of pant legs. Repeat 1000 times until behavior stops. Patience and persistence is key.

She is also old enough to learn the 'drop it' command. Start work on it.
>>
File: IMG_20160121_164017891_HDR.jpg (2MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_164017891_HDR.jpg
2MB, 1456x2592px
My dog finished shedding her undercoat. I was like phew, glad that's over. But now she's shedding her top coat. I use a rubber brush to pull the dead hair out, but they just keep coming. It never fucking ends!!

I'm going to die from drowning in dog hair.

>pic related
>>
Is it true that dogs can't look up?
>>
>>2049366
No.
>>
>>2049369

that dog isn't looking up, it's an optical illusion
>>
>>2049371
You're right, she's not, she's looking upsidedown. But in the process of looking upsidedown, she moves her head and eyes upward and then back. Thus she can and does indeed look up.
>>
>>2048884
Not any kind of Shepherd or working/herding dog. A mutt is always the best, imo

Boxers, Labs, Goldens, and Pitbulls are smart, happy and easily trainable dogs.
>>
>>2049321
That would be plenty fine.
>>
Greetings.

Has anyone here ever used petshed? They've got mixed reviews on some sites like pissedconsumer but those sites don't tend to be very reliable.

I need revolution for my dogs and cats but the US vets get to overcharge for it thanks to our retarded prescription system.
>>
>>2049749
Used them once. Shipping took longer than expected, but otherwise I was happy.
>>
>>2049336
>Chases dogs when they're at full sprint (ie. chasing a ball)
>nips at their neck aggressively as would any dog with herding instinct or a negative habit of chasing things

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

>>2048755
How old is your pup?
>>
File: timmyisagoodboy.jpg (6KB, 133x150px) Image search: [Google]
timmyisagoodboy.jpg
6KB, 133x150px
Has anyone adopted from a shelter before?

My fiancee and I both have had dogs for all of our lives, but family dogs that our parents got from breeders/stores. We recently moved into our own home and have the room for a dog of our own. However, when we try to go to different animal shelters to adopt, we basically are told that we are not home enough for a dog.

Can you not have a career and a dog at the same time? We both work full-time, but live close enough that we can come back on lunch for little walks. The dog would be left alone for ~8 hours. Is that inhumane?

>adopting a dog is harder than adopting a human child
>>
>>2049832
Could rescue a pair of dogs to entertain each other and keep each other company while you and your girl are at work. What a bunch of stupid fucks, do those idiots at the shelter assume every dog owner is never allowed to leave the house unless someone is there to baby sit?
>>
>>2049835
>>2049832

We have started looking at "bonded pairs" that are sometimes harder to adopt out--no responses from any shelters yet.

Honestly I found all of the women that run these shelters to be incredibly rude. One was very hostile towards my fiancee when she asked about two dogs, one a type of Shih Tzu mix puppy and the other a Bichon Frise senior that was blind. Basically she asked if they got along, how we were thinking of adopting two dogs to keep each other company, etc. and this bitch responded:

>"I would only let you adopt any dogs from this shelter if someone was home at all times. Dogs cannot be left alone and we don't adopt out to people that only want pets as a decoration."

Seriously, wtf. I still get mad thinking about it.
>>
>>2049840
She's right though.

Rescue dogs require a lot of effort, they're rescue dogs for a reason after all.

If you can't guarantee a consistent presence for dogs period then you really shouldn't be getting one. If you want a pet just get a cat, you can leave them alone for hours without issues.
>>
>>2049832
Take a week off when you get the dog.
Then your fiance takes a week off.

>>2049835
>Have job.
>>Sorry, can't let you have a dog if you're not home enough.
>Don't have job.
>>Sorry, can't let you have a dog if you're not stable financially.
>>
>>2049840
>>2049835
>le evil bitchy shelter worker
Pls stop.
I know you're experience might be true but we've had so much shit flinging over this
>>
File: IMG_20160125_2224261_rewind.jpg (198KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160125_2224261_rewind.jpg
198KB, 600x800px
My dog will absolutely not bark under any circumstances.

I've tried teasing her with treats, other dogs, using sirens on youtube, whistles, playing videos of other dogs barking, giving her treats when dogs on YT vids bark.

FUCKING EVERYTHING.

How do I get my dog to bark?
Pic related. Is my dog
>>
>>2049914
Also want to add that she's very well trained. She doesn't pull on a leash & knows a ton of commands so it's not just me being a shitty trainer in general. I just don't know how to teach her to fucking bark/speak on command or how to even let her know that it's okay
>Sit
>Stay
>Come
>Go lay down
>Closet
>Kisses
>Gee(turn right)
>Haw(turn left)
>Stop
>By me(walks super close to me while crossing the street)
>Go potty(pee)
>Empty(poop)
>>
File: image_36.jpg (36KB, 599x476px) Image search: [Google]
image_36.jpg
36KB, 599x476px
>>2049918
>empty
>>
>>2049922
lol not sure what that reaction pic is supposed to mean, but

Normally I'll have her go poop in the morning & at night but sometime we'll go on an 8-mile run around 7PM & it's good to have her go poop before so I don't have to even think about her having to go poop.

It also helps on long road trips so I don't have to randomly pull over
>>
>>2049841
Not right my girlfriend and I both work full time. Me 40 hours her 40+. We just adapted a shelter dog to add to our 1 year old we already have. He is a real rescue very under fed, terrified of people even children. We are 2 weeks in and he is really comming around. It helps we have 1 really good dog already. He is crated durring the day and let out to play at night. He loves his new home. Every shelter is different but some need to realize they are being dickweeds. As long as the owner isn't going to be neglecting or abusive just send the dog off.
>>
>>2049927
Fuck off already
>>
>>2049929
I feel sorry for you. You're so angry over the smallest thing. I can't even imagine how sad your life must be to be upset over something so menial
>>
File: DSCN1541.jpg (123KB, 653x921px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1541.jpg
123KB, 653x921px
>>2049927
No. I was laughing my ass off.
I've never heard that command.
>>
>>2049932
Don't feel sorry for me, I'm not upset at all. I just told you to fuck off is all :) hope your dog gets a tumor
>>
>>2048526
fugg

I've been treated her whenever she doesn't bark at someone, but I need more help here.
>>
>>2049934
ah ok.
Also LOL. you're posting my wolf?
That is mine. I work at Brother Wolf Rescue. I posted Chewie in the rare pet thread

>>2049934
I taught her the command by sticking a match up her butt in the mornings. I wanted her to be on a pooping routine. I just started incorporating "empty" into the routine & now she will go fully on command when I say empty. If she doesn't have to go she'll make the squatting motion & then we'll go on a walk or whatever.
>>
>>2049934
To further elaborate, this is a command I picked up when I was in the Army. I was an MP K9 unit. All the dogs were taught to empty on command so they wouldn't go out in the field.

I remembered it & how useful it was at times so I thought fuck it. I should incorporate it into her poop routine so whenever we go on a run I have zero worries about her going & I don't have to carry a fucking bag or anything.

Now that she knows to ONLY go on command, if she REALLY has to go while we're in town or something I can take her out in the woods so I don't have to pick that shit up.

It's been extremely useful. I would highly suggest you teach yours to pee/poop on command
>>
>>2049940
>a match up her butt
wat
>>
>>2049940
>I taught her the command by sticking a match up her butt in the mornings

You fucking what
>>
>>2049946
>>2049955
This is a truck I learned when I started working at the wolf sanctuary.

Vets will stick the tip of a match in a dogs butt to get a poop sample. The phosphorous stimulates their bowels. It works every single time.

It doesn't burn, it just tickles hardcore(Feel free to try it if you don't believe me rofl)
>>
I could really use some advice because i honestly don't know what to do anymore. My pug has had rashes all over, under his belly, arms, and even his face/ears for about a year now. I've taken him to vets about 5 different times and they just prescribe some pill that grows skin back but it doesnt solve the problem. I've changed his food to fish, chicken, lamb, pretty much everything and it doesnt change. Today it just flared up really badly even though he was just sleeping the whole time.

I don't understand what could be causing this reaction, i've tried so many things and nothing seems to work. He scratches himself 'till he bleeds. I just want him to be comfortable but i feel defeated.
>>
>>2050020
Are you taking him on at least a 15 minute walk every single day?
Are you giving him stuff to stimulate him like toys & playing actively with him?
What dog food are you feeding him?
Do you use any fabric softener?
What laundry detergent do you use?
Do you wear any perfume?
Do you spray any febreeze or shit around your house?
Do you wear any lotions?
Do you have any other pets?
>>
>>2050030
2 walks a day.

I work from home so I play with them throughout the day.

Currently im feeding him a lamb and rice formula

I do not use any fabric softener and i've changed laundry detergents many times with no results.

No perfume, no febreeze or lotions

I do have one other dog but they've been together for years and the rash started only 1 year ago.
>>
>>2050032
>"lamb & rice formula"
What dog feed are you giving them you stupid fucking nigger just answer the fucking question why is that so fucking hard?

If you aren't giving him a high quality dog food that's where you're fucking up. Your dog needs more nutrients then just fucking lamb & rice has to offer
>>
>>2050032
>lamb & rice formula
Found the problem. This fucking idiot thinks a dog can be perfectly healthy on just lamb & rice. It needs more vitamins & nutrients then your stupid shit "formula" has to offer
>>
File: 2285468-center-1.jpg (125KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2285468-center-1.jpg
125KB, 1500x1500px
>>2050033
>>2050036
Sorry? Didnt mean to offend. It's this one. Is it not good?
>>
>>2050044
>Grain-Free
>Main source of carbs is from starches
lol.

It's good but there are some problems your stupid shit vet hasn't address and I'm going to address them .

That dog formula's main source of fatty acids is from plant-based oils which dogs aren't good at absorbing. Try supplementing their diet with an omega 3 tablet derived from fish.

I'd also start giving them a raw egg in the mornings it can help with hair shedding.
>>
>>2049727
what breeds wouldn't be okay with that regimen?
>>
File: 1384136716054.png (32KB, 239x252px) Image search: [Google]
1384136716054.png
32KB, 239x252px
>scruffy Yorkie on other end of couch
>polite wuff
>look over
>she rolls on her back and looks sad
>she's got her back claws caught in her fur again
>untangle doggo
>rub tum
>she comes and snuggles next to me
I got your back, pupper. Usually she just yanks it out before I have a chance to help her but it's cute she asked this time.
>>
>>2050149
I'll try that thank you. I only did grain free because im trying to see what is causing the reaction
>>
>>2049417
My mother is pressuring me to get a staffie. She said we had one when i was a baby and he was amazing. But i read they're not easiest to train and require a shit load of other animal socialization
>>
File: IMG_20160124_0956391_rewind[1].jpg (144KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160124_0956391_rewind[1].jpg
144KB, 600x800px
Is this as funny to you guys as it is me because i cant stop laughing @ my dog
>>
>>2050182
Cute. I love when dogs make derp face
>>
>>2050149

The shit you're spouting, does it have any scientific evidence?

Cause going grain free is being supported by vets these days as well.

Soy/Grains are ass.
>>
>>2050186
yeah im too lazy to go find it though.
>>
So my beagle is afraid of guns going off.
I've shot guns around her when she was a puppy and even when they were just a couple weeks (obviously not so close that it would damage her hearing and it was not a big gun either, just a .22)
I would like to take her out in the wood with me while I just plink around, but the sight of a gun will make her shake and just try to hide from me.
I don't understand what went wrong but I would like to know if there is any solution available.
She is just over 2 years old now.
>>
>>2050182
I think it's the impassive look in its eye. I love fooling around with a dog's face while they just watch you and let it happen because it's not really worth arguing.
>>
>>2049832
That's totally fine. As long as it's not a very young puppy, being gone 8 hours and coming back in between for lunch is more than adequate.

Plenty of people have jobs and dogs who are well-adjusted, well taken care of, and happy. You'll have plenty of time to spend with your dog while you're home. It's unreasonable to assume someone has to spend every waking moment with their dog.

>>2049840
>dogs cannot be left alone

Yeah, no. I understand not leaving a dog (especially a puppy) alone for a long period of time. But dogs can definitely be left alone for a few hours. And in fact they need to learn how to be ok with being alone so that they don't develop unhealthy separation anxiety.

That woman's an idiot.
>>
>>2050207
Yeah, I really hope the guy just misunderstood and she meant "the first few days". That'd make more sense.
>>
>>2050177
Any dog needs socilaization. That is very important, regardless of breed. Even a pug can be stranger aggressive if it's never met strangers before. That being said, a am staff/ bull staff aren't known for being stranger or dog aggressive. Unlike the APBT, these dog's purpose has been, since the breed was created, as companion animals. Granted, registered APBTs are all also bred as companion animals too (as opposed to pit dogs) but I digress.

Terriers are known to be one of the easier breeds to train, because they tend to be well food-motivated, often toy motivated, and they also just want to make their owner's happy. This makes them pretty biddable in the dog worlds, as opposed to dogs that are food/toy motivated but aloof (like hounds). I think with a staffy, your biggest problem would be to keep them stimulated mentally and physically
>>
>>2050251
Yeah, if she just wanted them to be home during the first few days, I'd understand that. They could even adopt the dog on a Friday, then they'd have the weekend to get adjusted before having to go back to work on Monday
>>
>>2044607
I don't know about bull terrier, but walking them when their puppies is a great way to start socializing them. I wish I had done that with my current dog but there was no good public place to walk him.
>>
Hi first time dog owner here, fostering a 3yo retired racing greyhound here (pic related). He's been with us for one week without any problems, mostly staying outside and sleeping in the laundry. We have tried introducing him inside but he is still uncomfortable, how to introduce him in? And secondly the bigger problem, he has lately been whining and crying at night, not sure if it was because of the rain but was also hesitant to come in the laundry. Any help is appreciated thanks
>>
File: IMG_20160123_081057.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160123_081057.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2050298
Forgot pic
>>
How do you balance work with owning a dog?
I would like to get a small-medium sized dog at some point, but I realize that I probably won't be home from 8am-5pm each day.

At least kids have a school to go to while their parents are working. I guess a dog door and fenced yard could also work, but I fear my dog could get stolen. My parents managed to potty train a dog to solely use pads, so that's also an option. I'm probably overthinking dog ownership now that I am an adult and view pet ownership as a major responsibility. I just want the dog to have a happy life because it wont really have any say in the matter.
>>
>>2050298
you leave your laundry outside?

also, do you feed him outside?
>>
>>2050298
I know this is constantly asked on /an/ but

Do you have a crate for him?
Most race dogs have spent so much time in crates that they find them to be comfortable
>>
>>2045078

same. specially since i just put my first dog down in October and she was the definition of low maintenance. choosing a new pet is hard as fuck.
>>
>>2049840
are you SURE she meant all dogs or just those two particular ones? because honestly I wouldn't adopt two dogs like that out together if they weren't already a bonded pair and the owners would be gone a lot. a puppy can be extremely stressful for an old blind dog, to the extent that a fight could even break out and if you aren't there to stop it, that's bad news
>>
how to get barbiturates (pentobarbital) for dog?
>>
>>2049866
Where did i say anything about shelter workers in general? I was referring to the specific bitch in OPs post and by reading the other anons post, he was referring to the women in that specific shelter. Don't get your panties in a twist fag.
>>
>>2049841
You're assuming the dogs OP is looking for are riddled with behavioural/health problems when really they're just normal dogs that their previous owner didn't want anymore.
>>
Why is illegal puppies under 8 weeks?
I read that it's because at that age they're learning to not bite too hard through playing with mother and siblings, is that it or is there something else? I was wondering if I could teach the puppy myself? Because there's a pup in the shelter that looks about 4 weeks, I'm thinking of getting him after they adopt him out
>>
File: image.jpg (452KB, 754x1126px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
452KB, 754x1126px
Can anyone help me identify what kind of dog I found today? I found him by the lake covered in fleas, very skinny, and he didn't have a collar. So I fed him, and when he wouldn't leave me after that I decided I'd take care of him. So I washed him, got all the fleas off of him, and now he has a new home.
More pics to come
>>
>>2050400
Illegal to sell puppies*
>>
>>2050400
My friend adopted a pup when he was 4 weeks. He's about 1 year now and gets along with my dog/other dogs/humans/strangers just fine. Adopting a puppy before 8 weeks is not ideal and they're more prone to develop behavioural problems, but really it depends on the owner and how dedicated they are to making sure they don't raise a little shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (892KB, 2114x1534px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
892KB, 2114x1534px
>>2050404
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2050408
>>
>>2050404
>>2050408
>>2050410
No idea but you shouldn't hug a stray like that you could catch something. Take him to a vet asap
>>
>>2050404
>>2050408
Mutt of some kind.

Also, he looks like a healthy weight, actually.

In any case, please try to find if he has an owner looking for him before deciding to take him in permanently. Even if he was in bad shape when you found him, he could've been missing for a long time, so don't just assume he was not well taken care of.
>>
>>2050411
Y O L O
O
L
O

I have faith in modern medicine to cure me of my ailments should any arise. If he was gonna bite me he would've done it a while ago. I'm taking him to the vet as soon as I can though. I'm just not too worried about it right now.
>>
>>2050418
>he looks like a healthy weight, actually.

I know the picture doesn't really look like it, but he's pretty much skin and bones. He doesn't have any real muscles up on his shoulders like any other dog I've had.

And if he's microchipped I'm going to try to find previous owners.
>>
File: image.jpg (963KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
963KB, 2448x2448px
I got a puppy today, she's 3 months old. It's a border collie mix, we know that much, but we're not sure what she's mixed with. I'm thinking labrador. Your thoughts /an/?
>>
File: chaki.png (255KB, 570x427px) Image search: [Google]
chaki.png
255KB, 570x427px
rate my doggo
>>
>>2050432
Any aus cattle dog in there?
>>
File: g92Mwcc.jpg (366KB, 2089x3715px) Image search: [Google]
g92Mwcc.jpg
366KB, 2089x3715px
Is there any way to teach my dog to play better with other dogs? She's never aggressive or mean, but she's really stubborn. If the other dogs won't play the right way, she won't bother and lay down somewhere. She's plenty sociable with people, and she's well behaved otherwise, but if she's not getting her way with other dogs she gets huffy
Yes she is very spoiled
>>
Thoughts on this ad/"breeder"?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-brisbane/dogs-puppies/beagle-puppy-dogs-qld-reg/1102601616
>>
File: 3829584-Jack-Russell-Terrier.jpg (120KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
3829584-Jack-Russell-Terrier.jpg
120KB, 1300x866px
>>2050432
jack russell terrier maybe?
>pic related
>>
>>2050461
That was suggested because of her. Spots and ears
>>
File: image.jpg (906KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
906KB, 2448x2448px
>>2050474
That's always a possibility. She's such a weirdo and chewing on everything but she's the sweetest
>>
>>2050439
All doggo are 10/10
>>
>>2050263
Dat staffie smile.

But i go running most mornings so exercise is something i am confident i can provide.
I've Only Ever had cats and cats are nothing like doggies.
I baby sit my brothers dogs sometimes and i never know how to discipline them other than waving my finger and talking in a grumpy tone.. which only works on one dog.
>>
Do you know what you would do with your pet in an emergency situation, anons?

I had a dream last night where I was supposed to go on an international flight and had thirty minutes to get to the airport, but hadn't made arrangements for my dog.

I have a good boarding place that I trust, but it's sort of expensive. I have friends I could leave him with, too. I guess it just made me think a little about what I'd do.
>>
File: 1454142264504.gif (3MB, 273x206px) Image search: [Google]
1454142264504.gif
3MB, 273x206px
>>
>>2051423
same
>>
>>2050467
>gumtree
BIG red flag

This is the best place to start when looking a puppy who was bred for health and temperament before all else:
http://www.beagleclubqld.org/after-a-beagle/club-breeders
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
R8 my Doggo.
>>
what's a dog that's smart but also lazy?

i have a jack russel now, he's super smart .. but he's old and probably gonna die soon.. he was also a HANDFUL in his younger years

so when the time comes to find another dog .. i want something smart but a little more chill because i'm getting older too

i kind of think it doesn't exist but i'm fishing
>>
I ran my dog to the local vet hospital today because his throat seemed like it was swollen and he was coughing and gagging. I still have to take him to do tests tomorrow his normal vet, but it sounded like they thought he had cancer in the lymph nodes since all of them were swollen.

I've only had him for a year (he's 3) and I'm completely beside myself. This is the first dog I've ever owned and I'm completely unprepared to lose him. If I hear the worse tomorrow, how can I make the rest of his life as awesome as possible? He spent the first two years of his life miserable going between pounds, I don't want him to suffer even more...
>>
>all life wanted a dog since I good form coherent thoughts about wants
>parents did not allow animals in house
>grow up making friends with anyone that has a dog exposed to large variety of breeds/mutts etc
>instantly could tell when people were bad owners based on food/interactions/exercise
>dogs of all sizes and temperaments warmed up to me and were friendly yet listened
>moved out and first apartment didn't allow any pet

I am moving in to a place where I can have any pet I want soon. I am a little overwhelmed but I know (I have the funds etc) that I am going to be getting an actual factual dog within the next few months once I get situated.

How do I go about picking the right one? Am I over hyping it? Do I just go the humane society and find one that clicks or do I be one of "Those guys" and get a puppy?

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

I'm 24.
>>
>>2051638
get a dog from the pound

pound dogs are great and people who support the puppy trade are icky
>>
>>2051638
If you can afford it and can devote the time to raising it then getting a puppy from a reputable breeder wouldn't be a bad idea, you know what you'll get, and the dog should be screened for various diseases.
Pound mutts are a mixed bag, but are probably a better idea than getting a puppy from someone on craigslist
Just be aware that some dog breeds might make it difficult to rent an apartment/get homeowners insurance
>>
File: 26805930_367x356.jpg (50KB, 367x356px) Image search: [Google]
26805930_367x356.jpg
50KB, 367x356px
>>2051638
>(I have the funds etc)
Anon who was in your situation a while ago here.

protip: you never have the funds you think you have. just be aware of this and be prepared as much as you can be.

>how do I go about picking the right one?

I don't know, honestly. it might be different for everyone. initially, I wanted to adopt an adult dog because raising a puppy seemed overwhelming and I knew that, as a young adult trying to get their shit together, eventually I'd have a real work schedule (I work part time and am a student part time). however, the adult dog I'd picked out got adopted literally right before I had chosen him.

then I saw a puppy on a rescue site and chose him. it could not have been more random if I tried--I'd never heard of the rescue before, I'd never thought about having a border collie or lab before (his reported breed), I didn't initially want a puppy, etc. but something about him...

I knew when I held him. I saw him waiting at the adoption event--all the other dogs were yapping and screaming, and there was a big crowd of people riling them up, but he was just lying there in a crate, looking kind of sad and mostly tired. then, when I went over and told the volunteers I'd adopted him and was there to pick him up, and they handed him to me...he clung to me. I held him against me, and he wormed around until his belly was touching my chest, and he had his front legs tight around my neck and his back legs wrapped around my torso. that's when I knew he was IT. it was so dumb--I'd already paid for him and everything, but THAT moment was when I really knew he was the one.

you gotta touch 'em, anon. you have to interact with them. I got lucky, picking and paying to adopt my dog before I'd ever even met him, but when I DID meet him, that was it.

pic related, his picture from the rescue.
>>
So I'm thinking of picking up a retired racing greyhound. I like them and I think it'd be a good thing to do.

Is there anything I should know beforehand?
>>
>>2051620
Bulldog i think. Also JRTs are 10/10 dogs.
>>
When should you switch puppies from 3 meals a day to 2 meals a day?
Mine's a golden retriever.
>>
File: 0129161507a.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0129161507a.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
My girl is absolutely terrified of walks. We start out steady, and she's walking wrll, staying by me, not pulling, but as soon as she hears any type of mechanical sound, it's over. Rears back, starts crying, is totally over the walk. I've tried waiting her out, comforting gestures, encouragement, treats, none of it seems to be helping.

What would help, anons? Should I try a snug harness or maybe a thundershirt, or what? She's a border collie / golden retriever mix, so I'm trying to get her familiar with various exercises as soon as possible.

Any info and tips appreciated
>>
>>2051812
anon! mine is a border collie/golden retriever too! >>2051658 here. forgot to mention in that long ass story how shitty the rescue ended up being. didn't get his breed right, didn't have him neutered when they said he would be, not dewormed, etc.

is there anything else that she's fearful of? how old is she? she looks super young, did you just get her recently?

if she's super young and the two of you are just starting out on walks, it should just be a matter of time. my guy started out pretty confidently on walks, but the sound of buses/dump trucks/large trucks braking and going "kshhhhhh" freaked him out. a good harness would be good since it would prevent her from choking herself when she gets scared--just don't get your heart set on getting a super-nice, heavy duty one right now if she's as young as I think she is. she'll outgrow it and you'll be out a good chunk of money.

if it were me, I'd continue to try waiting her out and giving her treats. as soon as a scary sound happens, I'd have a treat in front of her nose waiting. that way, she'll start to associate sounds with treats, and you'll be on the way to "recovery". once she starts looking at you and waiting for her treat whenever a sound happens, that's when you know she's okay with the sounds, and you can start weaning her off the treats.

have you started clicker training? this might be able to help as well. associating a click with a treat, then associating "stay" with calming down, then hearing "stay" when she hears a scary sound...she won't get it immediately, but it should help.
>>
>>2051811
the little pamphlet my vet gave me recommended switching at 6 months. they also said switch to adult food at a year.

I switched my pupper at around 8 months simply because I hadn't realized. he's a really light eater anyway, so he didn't really care.
>>
looking at adopting a dog. I really want a pug, but also would love to adopt a pit. I like in a 2500sq ft apartment, work below it, and might be able to take my dog to work

I'm just trying to figure out a mindset I should have when looking to adopt.

I guess, big dog or little dog? I'm a 6'3'' 220lb human
>>
>>2048619
If you feel like you need a shock collar, get one that has a vibrate setting as well. Won't hurt the dog, but might help to get their attention.
>>
>>2048619
>My dog chases other dogs at the park when their ball is thrown for them and sometimes nips their neck aggressively

My dog does this as well, but no one in the dog park has ever minded it because they know he's just playing. He's not chasing the ball, he's chasing the dog. When the other dog gets their ball, my dog runs in front of them pretending he's now being chased.

Are you sure this is even a problem, anon? Are other dog owners talking to you about it and fearing for their dogs, or are you just worried? It sounds like she's just playing to me.
>>
>>2050427
Can we get an update on this? Do you now have a new best friend anon?
>>
>>2049945
I want to switch over to working dog handler so badly
Talked to a recruiter about going active as a handler, and they told me that even with connections to my senator, I'll probably not get it
>that feel of jumping out of a plane with a dog on your chest
>>
>>2051638
as a rule of thumb, puppies aren't good for first time owners. you should get an adult dog, around 2 to 5 years old would be ideal

go to your local humane society and say your a first time owner and looking for a dog. then it comes down to finding a dog that fits your lifestyle
>>
Just noticed my pup has a slightly curving back like in the bottom pic

What do?
>>
First time BC owner here.

Have now had her for 9 weeks (she's 17 weeks now), and after the first 2 weeks of torture, pain and regret, I fucking love this animal.

She still herds and bites at feet pretty aggressively, but she at the very least actually sometimes listens to my scolding when she does. Its a work in progress.

She's started to learn to give me the ball when she wants me to throw it, and she'll even bring the toy I tell her to bring me.
This breed is fucking awesome. I love it. So smart.

What would be a good companion dog to get her? I'm going to probably wait 2 years or so (or get an older dog instead. I just want their to be some kind of age difference so I don't have to have another shit year of putting both of my buddies down months apart).
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 640x960px
Hello I hope someone can help me with this
My doberman had some puppies a month ago. She is of red color and the father was the more classic black, so only 2 puppies got the mother's color.

But it turns out the smallest one is becoming more "pale" each day, and after some research we think he may be a fawn/isabella doberman.

The thing is all the sources we have checked are not in agreement about the dog's condition. Some pages say they can get alopecia or that it shouldn't be breeded because of bad genetics.

I'm not really interested on becoming a breeder but I want to know if this little guy will need some special treatment or if its something else. Thanks beforehand!

Pic related, little puppy with the other red one for comparison
>>
>>2046804
This is my issue too. The people that had him before me rescued my German Shepard from some asshole that crated him ALL FUCKING DAY while he was young puppers. Got him at 4 months and was able to potty train him within like 3 weeks. He's getting better about play biting, would be even better if my Bf would be consistent along with me. He rarely nips at me and when He does I withdraw and he quickly lays down beside me and whines for rubs and the biting stops. The bf plays rough and lets him bite one minute then withdraws like I do the next. I have discussed this with him but its still an issue.

Still leash training. He is very nose driven and curious. He pulls constantly. Ive gotten him to sit when he wants to lunge or run at something though so I have made progress. Every once in a while he will walk to my pace but once something has his nose he pulls again. I've heard it can talk 7 or so weeks to fix this so I'm not to upset by it. He knows sit. I can get him to do it about 98% of the time.

He has separation anxiety to the max and hated his crate when I first got him. I put his food and water in there for meals and got him to play near or in it to get him more comfortable. I give him a small treat when he gets in it and a big one when he calms down afterwards. I hate the people who did this to him.

He thinks he is a lap dog and loves cuddling. Which I have no complaints.

He whines if I close the door to the bathroom. When I shower and he does it I make sure that I give him a treat when he calms down, to reinforce the calm behavior and to show him that I didn't disappear.

He had roundworm and fleas when I got him. The foster home he was in never bothered to take care of the fleas, they didn't know about the worms, because their dogs were protected with meds and they figured I would do it when I got him. I know they hit him too. They told me they hit him. I told them I don't believe in hitting animals and they acted like I grew a third head.
>>
>>2052181
More on the crate. He would literally screech when I even got near the crate or touched it. Would run and hide in another room. At first When I had to leave for work I would just get him set up in the bedroom with toys, bed and potty pad. Hes still very fearful and runs away from time to time. But I don't force him when he runs and use the bedroom instead. I reward him greatly when he gets into the crate.

I would like to not use a crate but he still chews on pillows and stuff. Got some bitter apple spray and that helps bunches. Now all I have to do is call him name when he starts to mouth something and he backs off. Another reason for the crate is that my BF has his painting supply's around. They aren't out in the open but and unsupervised dog could get into them and I don't want Soren to get sick. When we are able to get another place with a room specifically for the paints I wont crate unless I 100% have too. With mine and my BF's schedule he is rarely in the crate for more than 3 hours at a time.

He is amazing with others dogs and with children. All he wants is love.

He has nightmares a lot. He shakes and whines in his sleep.
>>
>>2052181
>>2052186
Ive been watching this guys videos on training.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzFRKsgVMhGTxffpzgTJlQ

Its has helped a lot. However I was wondering if anyone had advice on the anxiety and crate fearfulness. Maybe with the nightmares too. I think my dog has PTSD or some shit from those fuckers.

Also he is on doggy insurance and I took care of his round worm. He is on trifexus. I give him multivitamins and fish oil with his food to help avoid joint issues that Shepards are prone to.
>>
>>2052181
>>2052186
>>2052189
You know, when that guy posed that comment, i don't think he was asking for your pups life story.

Just a protip, the best way to get help on this shitty website is to keep your posts/questions short and sweet.
>>
>>2052178
why did you let them breed in the first place?
>>
>>2051584
100/10
>>
>>2052141
That's usually indicative of an injury or structural fault, something causing the dog to arch to overcompensate. First you'll want to do an orthopedic eval at the vet to determine whether or not it's an injury. From there you should reach out to a trained canine rehab specialist and figure out a conditioning routine to help alleviate the strain on his back. That initial consult will be expensive, but they can help you plan out specialized exercises that you can do at home in order to build muscle that will support weaknesses in the affected areas.

Keep going like this and he will probably appear to be doing "fine" for a few more years, but eventually the injury will cause mobility problems, arthritis, nerve issues, or other associated pain.

Like I said, many times this can be caused by structural problems, so you'll definitely want to alert your breeder (if you went through one), so they can evaluate their breeding program.
>>
>>2052178
I know it's a common problem in my breed (Newfoundlands), to the point that most reputable breeders choose to not breed dilutes (Grays) at all. The CKC (Canadian KC) doesn't accept Browns or Grays at all. Best you can do is monitor the pup and hope he doesn't develop any issues.

Please don't breed any more.
>>
Should I buy a puppy for $900?
>>
>>2052502

Why not adopt a homeless dog for much, much less money?

You can find lots of dogs at www.petfinder.com

Adoption fees are nowhere near $900...they're half that, or less.
>>
>>2052532
but I want a puppy and there are no puppies for adoption or in petfinder
>>
>>2052545
Just go to your local shelter/humane society. They get new dogs and cats in every day. There may not be one today, but check again the next day or the day after. You'll find one.

Also a bit of advice, try getting something around 6 months. That way you're still getting a puppy but the thing will be a lot easier to housetrain (if he isn't already). Older puppies have the physical capability to hold it a lot longer. Super young puppies can need to pee every 20 minutes or so. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>2049825
She's 10 months. Apart from this she's a gem and learns quick. It's not hard to understand but no other dogs I know do it. I'm asking for the best at to train it out of her if you can lens a hand.
>>
File: 20160202_134658-1-1.jpg (4MB, 1837x2182px) Image search: [Google]
20160202_134658-1-1.jpg
4MB, 1837x2182px
>>2050461
Here's my cattle Collie mix
>>
>>2051886
Nah she barges into dogs occasionally and snaps at them and they will growl and bite back occasionaly. Most park people are fine with it, but it's still unacceptable and could easily cause a fight with an agro dog.
>>
>>2051941
Did 5 years in the army and people like you are so lame and usually don't last. Lol what kind of army let's people straight in off the street to go into specialised dog roles? Sounds like a terrible way to train competent dogs and handlers.

Also you can get a senator to vouch for you to get into certain corpse I'm the army? Anyone can logically see the problem with that..
>>
>>2052637
>>2052641
>young dog
>doesn't know dog etiquette

look, let her get in trouble once or twice. you said you drag her out of the park as soon as she starts doing it. you're not giving her the opportunity to learn what's acceptable and what's not from the other dogs. dogs don't have the mental capacity to make the connection "if I jump on a dog and snap at them and try to take their ball, I get taken from the park". all they know is sometimes they get taken out of the park disappointingly fast.

let some other dog teach her a lesson when she pushes it too far.
>>
>>2052643
I'm already in the Army, it's not like I'm some random civilian with a dog
And almost any high ranking elected official will be able to vouch for you for that
>>
>>2052637
I know around 5 months old they advise STRICTLY to never chase or allow your puppy to chase. Something to do with a puppy going through that developmental stage where they develop their dominant behaviours. How old was she when you got her? Maybe you or a previous owner allowed this behaviour to develop from that time period.
>>
My dog isn't even on the list in OPs website
>>
>>2045072
qt
>>
File: 1454485227581.jpg (804KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1454485227581.jpg
804KB, 1080x1080px
What type would be better for crate training? Dog will be a shih tzu, btw.
>>
>>2053428
Personally I like the enclosed kind better. In my experience dogs like those ones better--I think it feels cozier and safer for them. It's a darker, more enclosed space that they can go to to relax. The wire crates are very open and so it doesn't exactly create a safe "den" feel as well.
>>
how long is too long for a dog to take to recover after a run?
>>
>>2053467
forever sleep
>>
>dropped pup off at vet 5 hours ago to get neutered
>picking him up in an hour

Can't wait lads, I want him back already
>>
Looking to get a crate but I can't decide on one.
I want something for just at home, so not a carrying crate, but just all wire.

I saw ones (but couldn't find them online) that had a divider for a pee area and a bed area. But the only ones I found have a divider that totally cuts off the area.
Help?
>>
>>2054132
>a divider for a pee area and a bed area
That's not what that was.

Part of the point of a crate is to aid in housetraining by placing a dog in a space they WON'T want to soil. Having a part of it specifically for them to go to the bathroom in defeats the purpose entirely. Not to mention that even if it was a large crate that could be divided into sections so that one section was large enough for the dog to lay in and the other one was for peeing/pooping, that would be very uncomfortable for the dog still because you'd essentially be forcing them to lay super close to their own waste.

The dividers are there for growing puppies, so that the space can be the right size for the dog as it grows (you want it small enough that the dog won't soil it, but large enough for them to be comfortable.)
>>
>>2054137
I see.
I didn'nt think that the pee/poo area would matter for my dog, as the reason I'm getting it is because she has decided to pee and poo on our bed. Which is where she sleeps as well.
But thank you.
I'll just go with a regular crate.
>>
>>2054294
Hmm. Her peeing and pooing where she sleeps is definitely odd behavior for a dog. There could be just a behavior issue behind why she does that, but it also could be a medical issue. If you suspect it could be the latter, you might want to talk to a vet about it.

But yeah, just a regular crate will do (and honestly, I think the enclosed ones (not the fully wire ones) are better because they give the dog a more "den-like" space to feel cozy and safe in.)
>>
>>2054294
How old is your pup? When mine was 2-3 months old, he'd pee in his bed just because he couldn't hold his bladder. He eventually grew out of it when he developed better control.
>>
>>2054330
On the other hand, you can just throw a blanket you slept with a few days on the wire crate, ta-da, it now smells of you, and is dark and cozy.

>>2054294
>>2054375
You gotta walk pups out often, guys.
>>
File: received_1113215492036623.jpg (169KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
received_1113215492036623.jpg
169KB, 2048x1152px
>>2043923
Rate my doggu please.
I miss him :(
(I moved from home, he isn't dead)
>>
My girlfriend just bought a puppy, an Australian Shepherd, 8 weeks old. Her dad didn't want her to and sure enough when she brought it home he said no. She gave it to me. What the fuck do I do with a puppy? I've never owned a dog before. I went out and bought him food, bowls, blankets, puppy pads, toys. But what the hell do I do with it? When I go to play with him he just hides from me and then shits everywhere. He's cute as a button though so I want to keep him. I'm just clueless as fuck. Help
>>
>>2054689
Buy a crate. Keep him in there. Only take him out to go to the toilet outside (every 30min-1hr) or when it's feeding/play time.
>>
What's wrong with Cesar Millan and why do people give him so much hate?

Just watched some videos of him and he's bloody great with dogs. He's especially great at reading their body language.
>>
>>2054689
Keep calm. Never get mad at the pup.
Walk him out every hour, or even every half hour. Praise him for pissing or shitting out and give him a treat (small ones, he gotta eat them fast and focus on "I just pissed out and got a treat!" not "I'm chewing on a treat outside and it's good"). You can go four hours without going out at night when it's sleeping, possibly. Don't use pee pads, teaching a dog it's okay to piss at home isn't so great, it's better to have a dog that'd rather not soil his home. (They naturally don't want to soil their dens, but a puppy you had for a day will absolutely not consider your bed, couch or all your rooms a "den", barely whatever he sleeps on, it'll take some time for him to get used to all these big empty rooms with fuckhigh ceilings being his den too.)
Play with him lots, keep him busy so he'll focus on okay thing (ie, playing with you, his toys) and not on things like chewing your furniture. You can also already start on training him to obey a bit, sitting, lying down and standing back up are easy to train by just luring the puppy in the position you want. Be patient though, he might do amazing one day and have forgotten how to sit the next.
And keep up on teaching bite inhibition, he started with his littermates and mom but he'll need to keep working on it. Stop playing whenever the pup bites too hard, or even bites at all if you're so motivated. Get up, cross your arms, look at the ceiling, he'll understand fast that biting too hard/biting at all means no more play with humans, just like with his old mates.
And do socialize him loads. Have him meet a lot of people, and a lot of dogs and other animals, as much as possible before 3 months old. Do avoid dog shit until he's fully vaccinated, though. And have him see things like cars, bikes, strollers and stuff you'll both see a lot of outside.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads
Read the before and after books, too. They're good.
>>
>>2054695
Even when I'm home during the day? So he only comes out of the crate to use the bathroom, eat, play/train? He is 8 weeks old now, until how old do I continue to do this crate training for?
>>
>might be watching a malinois puppy soon

I am no stranger to very intense dogs that need a lot of work, and I'm already thinking of ways to help work her mind at a park. I'm thinking of training how to blind retrieve as a way to get that working need sorted. I've handled rotties, dobies, german shepherds and whatnot before, so I know what to expect.

if this goes through, how much will I hate my life? I love dogs and love working with them and dealing with her special needs, but nobody ever finds pleasure in it 24/7.
>>
>>2054711
Yes even if you're home. You do this until he's toilet trained to not shit and piss inside the house, which could be until he's 6-10months old depending on how diligent you are.
>>
>>2054709
Wow. Thank you a lot! Right now as I'm typing this he pissed on his pad. I can understand not wanting/encouraging him to do so. But he really does ONLY waste on the pads when I don't get him outside. I've gotten him outside to use the bathroom for about 70% of his wastes. He holds in his poop already but he just runs directly to the pad to pee.
>>
>>2054717
Okay I got it. Thanks for that!
>>
>>2054718
His bladder is undeveloped, this is understandable. When my dog was a puppy, it was the opposite, as he could get outside to pee but food would just pass right through him.

just give him time to learn. I learned to kennel them at night and have them out at all times you can actively supervise them for potty training. Kennels are decent, but I don't like to overdo it.
>>
>>2054717
>Didn't use crate.
>Puppy picked up pissing/shitting outside was better within a week.
>Started asking to be let out when it was needed in less than a month.

>>2054718
8 weeks old puppies have really, really, really tiny bladders.
>>
>>2054720
No problem. By the way, good luck getting sleep the first few weeks, mine couldn't go through a whole night without needing to piss/poo until he was about 12-16 weeks old.

>>2054722
How old was your pup? I'm jealous
>>
>>2054729
8 weeks old too. I just praised her and gave her treats when she did it out. I guess she picked up fast that doing it inside didn't get her anything (easy considering she got out like 10~15 times a day). Since I also was watching over her like a hawk 16 hours a day, I also got her out whenever I saw her starting to squat. And thankfully, being carried tends to stop puppies from pissing. There was also the classic no water after 9 pm/before 5am (she slept from like 10~11pm to 5~6 am, got out, and slept again for another two hours). I'm pretty sure she had less than 10 accidents inside total, and only ever pee.
Then eventually she started barking at the door. I'm reaaally glad she picked that all so fast. It was kinda funny (not for her tho) seeing her trying to hold it in when she just couldn't yet and barking and growling at a door that dared staying closed.

She's a golden. Maybe they got larger bladders from the start since they're part of the large breeds?
But yes, the secret is mostly being a NEET, don't be too jealous.
>>
>>2054389
True, and I did this with an old blanket of mine for my dog's crate since it was a wire one. He liked it a lot better with the blanket on top.
>>
>>2054709
Pretty good advice.

>>2054711
Pretty much, but this doesn't mean the pup should be locked up all day. It just means that if you aren't able to actively supervise him, he should be crated. Once he's figured out housetraining you can be more lenient
>>
>>2054695
>>2054709
>>2054722

Thanks a lot guys. Really helped me out. Helped me calm down a bit. I felt a little overwhelmed there. Thanks. I didn't realize crates were so expensive! Will shop around this weekend.

Here's a pic of the little rascal for you guys.
>>
File: 1408213130356.jpg (13KB, 423x406px) Image search: [Google]
1408213130356.jpg
13KB, 423x406px
>trying to persuade dad to let me get a dog while under his roof
>been mirin a rescue dog
>she's been reserved
Dammit!
>>
>>2055469
Email them and say you are blind or something
>>
>>2055479
Still need my dad to approve it anyway. Pressed him why I can't get a straight answer and he doesn't like the idea of getting an "old dog". If I want my dog to be a rescue, I'm getting a dang rescue.
>>
>>2055595
Get a young rescue then
>>
>>2055620
That one I was looking at is 2 years old, the one before that was like 8 months.
>>
I dropped 1 grape on the floor and my sister's dog ate it, The dog is napping and I keep waking it up to make sure its not dead. Should I be worried ?
>>
File: Photo on 2-5-16 at 2.34 PM.jpg (217KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 2-5-16 at 2.34 PM.jpg
217KB, 1080x720px
Rate my hairless pupper
>>
>>2055038
how often are you taking the dog out and introducing it to new things? Also have you started basic training of it (sit, stay, come)?
>>
>>2055630
Looks cold pup. Is that a xolo?
>>
>>2055681
its a american hairless terrier
>>
>Well, anon... We bought a lab puppy. We sort-of hoped you would take care of it.
My shit parents decided to buy a lab puppy on impulse and dump it on me. I'm in school and I take care of at least 20 animals as it is on my own right now and I'm struggling to keep up with all my responsibilities. What the fuck am I supposed to do for it? I don't have time to take care of it and they think it'll be fine because "our yard is big". I'll make a thread about it if I don't get much here. This is a big fucking issue and I can't seem to talk them out of the purchase. They'll pick the pup up in five weeks, so I have time.
>>
>>2055775
Give it to someone else.
Or a shelter.

>B-b-but
You said you couldn't take care of it, and from your post your parents won't either. Don't ruin a pup.
>>
>>2055798
You missed the point.
>>
>>2044707
I have these for my dogs, so far so good. Don't know how durable they are yet, though, because we haven't had them long.
>>
File: chuck it.jpg (100KB, 1600x1231px) Image search: [Google]
chuck it.jpg
100KB, 1600x1231px
They should make the chuck it toys completely edible, so when your done playing with your dog, you can hand them the toy and put the ball up.

I found a regular chuck it for $2, I wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks for an edible one, especially if it was similar to a bully stick in that it's going to take them a while to chew through it.
>>
>>2055983
>>2055983
>>2055983
>>
>>2055633
I take him out every 30 minutes/hour. Today he only had one accident in the house. I began teaching him sit but he doesn't like treats much so I can't do the thing where you give him a treat and out it over his head to where he sits. Also he sits all the time when he comes to you. Like he will walk over to me and immediately sit and look at me. He follows me everywhere. He was running around today which was cute. I took him outside and he didn't wander away from me without a leash. I ran from him and he just ran and caught back up to me. But I guess I need to find a different approach to teaching him sit and stay etc
>>
>>2055626
Grapes/raisins are potentially bad if they eat a lot/often (they could cause kidney problems.) One grape won't hurt the doggie though, don't worry.
>>
she says can i have some please
>>
>>2043923
My sister has abandoned her Labrador/poodle mix upon me and I have questions about walking it.
1. How far should I shoot for in distance? I am currently walking him on a hiking trail for about 3-4 miles a day and he is pretty fat but energetic.
2. What is proper handling around people? The trail is usually abandoned but every great once in awhile someone else walks it.
Any and all advice upon owning a dog is welcome as well.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.