[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 81

File: gartersnek2.jpg (207KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
gartersnek2.jpg
207KB, 1600x1195px
/herp/

sand a shit

old thread >>2036164
>>
File: Babyturtles.jpg (115KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Babyturtles.jpg
115KB, 1000x750px
>>
File: JungleJayaJaguar.jpg (147KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
JungleJayaJaguar.jpg
147KB, 900x600px
>>
File: baby-tortoise.jpg (21KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
baby-tortoise.jpg
21KB, 500x394px
>>2041700
>>
File: helmet-gecko--hatching.jpg (268KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
helmet-gecko--hatching.jpg
268KB, 600x390px
>>
File: Sphaerodactylus nicholsi.jpg (42KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
Sphaerodactylus nicholsi.jpg
42KB, 736x552px
>>
File: image.jpg (1011KB, 3024x3336px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1011KB, 3024x3336px
I took a really nice picture of my bp
>>
Got a bearded dragon a few months ago. When I got him he was a little on the skinny side and just over 8 inches. He's now just a hair over 10 and put on some weight. I feed him primarily dubias, but throw in the occasional crickets and superworm. He never eats any of the vegetables or fruit that I leave him and don't know if I should be concerned. I'm at the point where he readily takes food out of my hand, he'll even start jumping to get on my hand and get to any food I may have and the only way I can get him to eat any fruits vegies is if I do that. He'll glare at me with this contemptuous look after he eats a piece of cactus pad, or squash. At what point do beardies move on to more vegetative matter in their diets?
>>
File: projection.png (2MB, 1459x1094px) Image search: [Google]
projection.png
2MB, 1459x1094px
Heres a rough projection of the tank I'm working on for a python.
It still needs more hardware.
The blue is a water dish, left is a half log and the right is a moist hide.
It'll have live (stocky and smash proof) plants, microfauna and black chalk paper on the back and sides with basic python care and a log of when it's eaten written on it for if I need someone to python sit.

Anything I'm missing on my shopping list for a really happy python?
amzn com/w/98F6VA14JQVQ
>>
>>2041730
We've been over this. "A really happy Python" enjoys some nice bedding it can burrow in, and some simple but large enough hides.
>>
File: you.jpg (962KB, 1851x1851px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
962KB, 1851x1851px
>>2041747
I phrase things.
By that I mean things "to ensure the health, comfort and well being of this snake"
Sorry I'm not a stuffy faggot like you who cant comprehend anything other than blunt and literal statements.
>>
>>2041759
Are you projecting?
>>
>>2041761
Let me be blunt since I know you don't understand things adults say very well. You're retarded.
>>
>>2041730
Half logs are shit. Snakes want a cramped completely dark hiding spot. If wherever it's hiding isn't completely dark, it isn't happy.
>>
>>2041762
Look dude, you are coming to us for advice. I'm a fucking 20 year old college student who logically figured out what to put in the tank based on what snakes do and don't like. Fuck off with your aggressive attitude, pussy.
>>
>>2041730

Half logs are fine for neutral decor and climbing but they are inadequate as hides. What you want for an effective hide is a cave with a small opening, minimal light transmission, and sized such that your snake just barely fits inside. Snakes like it best when they can feel the walls on all sides when they are curled up.

Best snake hides on the market are these:
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/30619

They don't look like much but snakes absolutely love them.
>>
>>2041768
I will not be getting the log then.
How about if I make a cave thats about the size of the snake out of raised substrate and something to cover it? That'd be kinda like a burrow. Would a hide like that make it so it needs a heat pad on the cool side too?

>>2041769
I'm coming to people who aren't autistic faggots for opinions.
>I'm a genius because I'm in college
I graduated 2 years ago. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>2041778
your link didn't work for me, but its those black plastic ones with the off-center hole right?
I got two of them for my ball python
>>
>>2041778
Your link just leads to the featured products page.
Could you just say the name of the product so I can find a photo and a place to buy it?
>>
>>2041724

But some mealies and supers in dish then put veg on top. Place dish in tank. Beardie will end up eating some of the veg as it tries to dig down to the worms. They should progressively eat more veg as they grow towards adulthood.
>>
>>2041782
>>2041783

Sorry, yes here's a pic. The black plastic ones. They work great.
>>
>>2041781
No I was actually self-deprecating saying a 20 year oldcollege student figured it out. GG faggot. You are going to be a try hard shit owner.
>>
>>2041789
It looks pretty bad but I can work with that.
What size should I be investing in for an adult?
>>
>>2041791
Why are you even here if you dont think people should discuss things?
>>
>>2041797
Because everyone told you last thread senpai. You come off as a cock when a perfect hide for a snake is posted and you say "ugh fine I can work with it". do you also get hot and bothered when you see people keep snakes in racks?

Your concern shouldn't be aesthetics, but the snakes health.
>>
>>2041792

For adult BP, extra large. No need to buy the specific ones pictured. It's just a plastic box. You can make one from any opaque plastic bin.
>>
>>2041800
I'm concerned with aesthetics because it's fucking retarded to get a beautiful animal and surround it with plastic and newspaper.
I understand not everyone is, but I am.

>>2041801
Would it be okay to cover it up with extra substrate or anything so it looks like a mound of dirt?
>>
>>2041802

Certainly. It's the inside dimensions that count. Small entrance, dark, cozy fit = happy snek.
>>
>>2041805
Alright.
You're really helpful. Thank you.
>>
>>
>>2041807
Wow, what a cute snek.
>>
File: 0113160746b-1.jpg (917KB, 2799x1786px) Image search: [Google]
0113160746b-1.jpg
917KB, 2799x1786px
I'm considering getting a crested/gargoyle gecko and making a planted tank. I have a 29 gallon tank that I plan on converting into a standing tank, but does anyone have any tips that aren't common knowledge on the subject?
>>
>>2041848
Crested geckos refuse to touch standing water. you'll need to spray down some plants and let it lick water off leaves.
Buy pangea diet, they hate the zoo med stuff.
Crested geckos are only semi-arboreal so they dont stay up all the time.
>>
>>2041848

Nah, the standing tank conversion is pretty straightforward. Clear acrylic sheets (plexiglass) can be used for your front panel instead of glass, I find those a bit easier to work with for mounting hinges and so on.
>>
File: crocodile_newt_tame_dragon_an.jpg (111KB, 568x426px) Image search: [Google]
crocodile_newt_tame_dragon_an.jpg
111KB, 568x426px
How do i prevent/soak up the condensation and urine (i guess) from contained cricket?

With 800 together they create a lot of moisture, and its only been happening as the peak of Summer kicked in recently.

Any solutions other than drill more holes would be helpful, but i will drill more holes as soon as possible.
>>
>>2041747
I think it takes more than just that to make a snake fully thrive, but that's just me.

Besides, they aren't hurting anything by going bioactive so why are you so worried about it?

Here's a secret: (Bioactive set ups usually clean up after themselves, provide their own humidity, look nice, and can make your snake more active and fun to look at.)

>>2041778
If you put a plant at the front and cover the back with one of those adhesive things (depending on where you put the log), it should be fine. Just block off both sides and it shouldn't bother them.
>>
>>2041983
That might be fine for a BP, but a lot of snakes do not need as much humidity as them. I think this shows a great thing, there is a lot of disagreement in the snake community. I don't want any bad blood in this general, so I think we can agree to disagree.
>>
Oh god, I saw a single mite (I think) crawling around on new snake friend. Checked him over carefully, didn't see any signs of them latched on. I can't get to a pet store until the weekend, do you think if I do a thorough cleaning/disinfecting with soap and diluted bleach I can stop an outbreak?
>>
>>2041983
Then I'll get the log, bury it a bit to lower the ceiling, cover the back and put some grass in front of it. That way I can adjust the hide as my snek grows.

>>2042001
Seeing as this is an enclosure for a ball python, I don't see why you're so mad
>>
>>2041905
Put paper towels or maybe aspen shavings on the bottom?
>>
>>2042001
>>2042044
Also I'll add this.
If I added some desert sand to make a loam soil, added low humidity plants and non-arthropod microfauna it'd be fine for other snakes.
This one is set up to be good for a ball python because it's for a ball python. I'd make it entirely differently for any other species.
>>
>>2042044

How about you just buy one of the exo Terra naturalistic looking hides if you're so concerned about appearance?
>>
>>2042061
>buy this plastic cave that does the same exact thing and costs way more
No. I know how to make this tight and dark so it will do the exact same thing.
>>
>>2042001
I thought the snake going in the tank was a ball python? Bioactives can be done without high humidity as well, if needed. Even desert species can be kept on bioactive if set up correctly.
>>
>>2042121
It is.
He's assmad because I called him autistic.
>>
>>2042125
No I'm not upset at all, I just think you are speaking out of your ass. You said "I think you need more to make a snake thrive". You sound like a you tuber who gets mad at someone for a rack setup for being inhumane. I thought we buried this and are past this, I'm agreeing to disagree. You are being autistic and still bringing it up. My response to you earlier reflect that I'm not mad in the slightest, and that we should just agree to disagree
>>
File: no.jpg (401KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
401KB, 1024x768px
>>2042145
Why do you get so mad that some people take better care of their animals than you?
>>
>>2042155
im not angry at all? My snake as 2 hot side hides, 1 cold side, and a tree branch to climb on. 4 inches of aspen bedding to burrow in, and a nice waterbowl to soak or drink from.
>>
>>2042162
Then why are you crying about others doing the exact same thing with different materials and shit to help clean everything?
Do you think snakes evolved to live in plastic?
>>
>>2042164
my snake isnt in plastic?
>>
File: womapython1.jpg (115KB, 693x462px) Image search: [Google]
womapython1.jpg
115KB, 693x462px
I have some free time this week and thought I would do some short write ups on herps that make great pets, are fairly common and easy to obtain, but not very popular in comparison to the top 10 most popular pet herps.

Starting with snakes.

/herp/ great pets you may not have thought of #1

Woma Python
>difficulty: easy
>nocturnal
>4.5 - 6 feet in length with potential for larger depending on specific locale
>arid climate
>temp range high 70's to high 80's with humidity 50%-70%

pros:
>enthusiastic feeders
>friendly
>active

cons:
>slightly more expensive than other common snakes.
>>
File: rosyboabaja.jpg (98KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
rosyboabaja.jpg
98KB, 640x428px
>>2042239

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #2

Rosy Boa
difficulty: easy
>nocturnal
>24-36 inches on average
>arid climate
>temp range 70-85

pros:
>pretty cheap
>easily handled
>can be quite colorful depending on morph
>very long lived 30 years+ with good husbandry and that's the average.

cons:
>not necessarily con but be warned, they are fucking ninjas when it comes to escape attempts. worse than king snakes. They are prone to snout irritation from rubbing up against screen tops.
>>
File: kenyansandboa3.jpg (188KB, 736x1103px) Image search: [Google]
kenyansandboa3.jpg
188KB, 736x1103px
>>2042250

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #3

Kenyan Sand Boa
>difficulty: easier than easy
>18-36 inches depending on sex (males much smaller than females)
>temp range: 80-95
>do very well on several inches of aspen substrate. especially shredded aspen as it holds tunnels well. it is not recommended to keep them on sand.

interesting behaviours:
>this is a burrowing snake. they make tunnels.
>females can be kept communally in some cases (be careful)

pros:
>very cool looking
>small
>different behaviours than other snakes
>basic care is essentially a tank with a thick layer of aspen, a water bowl, and maybe a log or rock to occasionally climb

cons:
>they spend majority of their time below surface level of substrate
>potentially fussy eaters depending on how they were raised. if their breeding was lazy and offered them live prey when they refused to eat frozen/thawed they can present some challenge converting to 100% frozen thawed. no problem if breeder trained them to eat frozen from the start.
>>
File: Childrens-Python3.jpg (254KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
Childrens-Python3.jpg
254KB, 700x467px
>>2042261

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #4

Antaresia Pythons - aka Children's Python and related species

>difficulty: easy to intermediate. some species can be a little bitey
>about 36-42 inches, a little smaller or larger again depending on species
>temp range varies from 75-80's, sometimes basking spot of mid 90's recommended

pros:
>really cool snakes and unique appearance
>basically larger python personality in small python package
>do not share the feeding problems of ball pythons
>fairly active

cons:
>might be hard to find and possibly expensive, however, they are captive bred in both US and EU

If you're looking at maybe getting a more expensive morph of ball python, I suggest looking a little closer at the children's python instead and see how they grab ya.
>>
>>2042239
>>2042250
>>2042261
>>2042276
I hear uromastyx make great beginner pets, no clue how true that is though
>>
File: uro.jpg (109KB, 513x334px) Image search: [Google]
uro.jpg
109KB, 513x334px
>>2042336

Yes they do!

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #5

Uromastyx (several locales)
>difficulty: suitable for careful and responsible beginner or intermediate just because of the hot basking temp.
>DRY and HOT as fuck
>10-18" average but can be 30"+ in the case of Egyptian uros (egyptians are a little more advanced in general)
>diurnal and UV lighting required
>because of the hot basking temp you need a larger tank than would normally be used for a reptile of their size (consult care sheets for specifics)
>temp 80-100, basking temp 120+ but can drop to mid 70's at night
>herbivore

pros
>these are some of the funniest lizards commonly kept in captivity
>they are quite active and will even use those spinning saucer things made for rodents to run on
>herbivore means no dealing with insects, however that does mean you need to put in more effort to give them a varied diet of greens and veg and so on

cons
>your electricity bill will go up a bit on account of keeping that 120+ degree basking spot going 12 hours a day
>tank takes up more space than usual for reptile of this size
>>
>>2042364
here's a pic of the big Egyptian variety
>>
and an ornate uro. these can be colourful but beware of photo manipulation when doing searches images of these. ornate uro pictures contain some of the most flagrant photoshopping ridiculousness.
>>
is it advisable to put live plants in a ball python cage?

if so, which plants would you recommend?
>>
>>2042394

Sure. With snakes though it will be easier to take care of the plants if they are not directly planted in the snake's substrate. By that I mean put the plant in a pot in the tank. This allows you flexibility with the substrate indended for the snake without worrying about how that will affect the health of your plants. If you have to pull the substrate completely and replace, that's no problem if plants are potted in their own separate soil.

I'm not sure specific plants for snakes. Google 'live planted snake terrarium' and 'snake/reptile safe plants'.
>>
File: day10_clean_knife_wound.jpg (1MB, 2768x2691px) Image search: [Google]
day10_clean_knife_wound.jpg
1MB, 2768x2691px
>>2041076

Hey everyone, got another update on rescue BP.

His original name started with a G, so my wife and I have taken to calling him GG. I think that's going to be his new name.

Here he is just after cleaning his primary wound tonight.
>>
>>2042059
ok thnx, will try towels today.

Do you think its too moist in there because i don't have enough holes, or theres too many crickets?
>>
File: day10_burn_scab.jpg (2MB, 3952x2763px) Image search: [Google]
day10_burn_scab.jpg
2MB, 3952x2763px
>>2042494
Things seem to still be going well, he's still active and I think his stress levels are going down, but he's not out of the woods yet.

To ensure he stays cleaner I'm moving him onto a wax paper lining. I'm short handed on paper towels at the moment.

I think his pain on this has gone down since he first shed his scab. His body is still sensitive to the wound area, but not nearly as much as before.

Here you can see the lighter burn scab is starting to peel away with his shed. I couldn't get a great angle on this, but the wound looks very clean underneath, and not too deep. I tried packing as much ointment under the scab as I could. You can see it in the foreground as the dark brown crusty blotch.
>>
How would I go about getting a pet frog in QLD Australia. I've googled it but information varies from site to site and I can't find any solid info
>>
File: day10.jpg (845KB, 1503x2672px) Image search: [Google]
day10.jpg
845KB, 1503x2672px
>>2042499
Last photo for now.

This is the primary wound after re-packing with ointment. He should get less stuff stuck on top of the ointment now that he's on the paper.

That's it for now, I'll post updates later.
>>
>>2042506
good work, keep being a kind human being.
>>
>>2042494
>>2042499
>>2042506
Good on you, dude. I just lost a chicken that I nursed back to health after a raccoon attack to some unknown predator. It hurt a lot after watching her recover, seeing her dead like that.

Love your snakester extra for me, you're doing a great thing
>>
Do snakes hit growth spurts?
I think my ball python is just about a year old now and she's shedding again after only a month
I haven't exactly been keeping exact tabs on when she sheds but if memory serves its usually every other month.
>>
>>2042276
Very cute.
>>
File: treegarter.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
treegarter.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I bought some fake leaves for my garter and caught him climbing in them after i thought he escaped. He's around 5 months old, does any one with experience with garters know when they reach a bigger size? He's about 8 or 7 inches now but still pretty thin
>>
>>2042992
Should be pretty close to full grown by two years.
>>
Novice snake question
When they start to go into their shed cycle (eyes haven't clouded up yet but the skin is getting milky) is it better to hold off feeding until it clears up, or is it still safe?
>>
>>2042364

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #6

Steppe Runner
>about 6" nose to tail
>diurnal
>temp range 80 with 100 degree basking spot
>insectivore

pros
>they are the cutest little lizards ever
>personality is similar to small monitors. i find them to be kind of ackie-like in behaviour
>diurnal lizard that is active and is normally out in the open for the majority of the day
>as easy to handle as bearded dragons
>can be kept in colonies

cons
>initially when they were introduced to the pet trade there was concern about wild caught specimens and how that impacted their native population. fortunately they are now quite widely captive bred in North America.

If you're thinking about maybe a leopard gecko or something but are turned off a bit by all the hiding and the being nocturnal, I highly recommend steppe runners as an alternative. Also great if you're thinking bearded dragon but aren't sure if you have the space for that much lizard. They are cheap, too.
>>
>>2043071

you can try but the snake may not be interested. there's no risk to it.
>>
>>2042992
My garter didn't get to any decent size until he was 1.5 years old. He's just over 2 years old now and still growing like a weed, he dwarves his size from last September, it's insane.

I have no idea how big he is, but he's somewhere around 24"-26" if I had to guess, and 43 grams. His tank is 30" long, and he's pretty close to length of his cage, so he may very well be 30". He's twice the size of the male eastern I have of the same age.

>>2043071
Up to you. I personally don't offer because I feel non-feeding periods are good, even if they're just a few weeks. It shouldn't harm the snake as long as its husbandry is good, but it also won't hurt it to be 1-2 weeks late.

The main problem with feeding in shed is if humidity is too low it can exacerbate dehyrdation because all of their moisture will go towards digesting rather than shedding, and this can worsen stuck sheds and cause the sheds to roll up on the bulge, potentially harming or killing them. But, as long as everything is in order it's generally risk-free.
>>
anyone ever made their own racks for cheap?

any tips?
>>
>>2043158
Pics of garter?
>>
File: PictusAmel.jpg (526KB, 1279x963px) Image search: [Google]
PictusAmel.jpg
526KB, 1279x963px
>>2043097

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #7

Paroedura Pictus aka Pictus gecko aka Panther gecko aka Madagascar ground gecko aka ocelot gecko aka the pet industry can't decide what to call them so everybody just calls them pictus geckos

>difficulty: intermediate just because of how small they are as hatchlings. as sub adults they're about the same as african fat tail geckos, husbandry-wise.
>5"-6"
>semi-tropical mostly ground dwelling but can climb rough vertical surfaces easily
>temp range 70-85
>humidity 50%-80%
>insectivore

pros
>smaller gecko that shares the inquisitiveness of species like the leopard gecko and AFT
>they have some unique behaviours I have never seen other geckos do. Mine (I have two females at home) groom themselves like cats; licking their legs and toes
>mostly untapped potential for a broad range of morphs. i think these guys could display even more colour variety than crested geckos with careful breeding
>an individual pictus can be housed in something as small as a 10gallon tank

cons
>some individuals can be very shy. this can be mitigated somewhat with careful taming and hand feeding.
>>
File: bill-cosby-himself.jpg (28KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
bill-cosby-himself.jpg
28KB, 640x427px
If my beardie only shits when outside his vivarium, and after running around on the floor for a bit, OR if hes outside in the direct sun for 15 minutes, what does that mean for his health?

Atleast he's shitting. I know that many of you say it always happens when you bathe them, but i never bathe mine.
>>
My snoot still has mites.

She loves the betadine baths, though. They must be soothing all that itching.
>>
My pacman had a bunch of moss in his mouth after eating his first worm, I tried to help him pull it out since he seemed to be trying to pull it out. I ended up pulling a rather large piece of moss out (made me scared he might get impaction so I removed all moss in his tank afterwards) however when I pulled it out his tongue was hanging out for a little bit and he started hopping everywhere. His tongues back in but he isn't burrowing like he was when I first got him, how bad did I fuck up /an/?

I didn't want him to die from constipation.
>>
>>2043252
My Argus monitor does the same thing
>>
>>2043363
this impaction meme has to stop
>>
My jaguar carpet python has eaten twice, not very large meals because he has some jagging and i'm not sure if its okay to give him large meals.
But the point is that he hasn't pooped yet, i'm not too worried but when should i start being worried?
Its feeding day tomorrow.
>>
Do pythons tolerate common forest moss? I want to cover his hide with it.
>>
File: IMG_2731.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2731.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2043193
This is the most recent one of the checkered.
>>
>>2043363
Okay dude listen, I've been preaching this shit to every other pacman owner asking about feeding since I've had my pacster: do not feed them in their enclosure, at least not until they are fully grown. Take it out and feed it in something bare-bottom, like a tupperware dish or something. That's what I use. You never have to worry about impaction that way and it makes feeding easier
>>
how do wild animals deal with impaction?
>>
File: basking spot.jpg (37KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
basking spot.jpg
37KB, 480x800px
What kind of heat emitter should I have for my ball python enclosure? I have a light for it, and the housing. I have a 60 watt lightbulb in it now and it isnt getting how enough. It's anout 15 inches over the platform.

Pic related. Big ass piece of slate as a platform
>>
>>2043791
You're the one with the bioactive set up right?

If so, any belly heat is going to be 100% ineffectual. Even if you aren't, that deep of bedding isn't going to let any belly heat penetrate regardless. I'd advise a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE), or Radiant Heat Panel (RHP).
>>
>>2043794
I am that guy, yes.
Thats why I'm using the slate. It gets warmed up so my snake has belly heat.

What wattage should the emitter be? Does a 100W sounds about right?
>>
>>2043687
dying
>>
>>2043798
>>2043794
Also is there a difference between black and white ones?
>>
>>2043798
Depends on your room temp and the cage size. CHE's heat a lot hotter than regular light bulbs so 100W CHE is going to provide way more heat than a 100W heat bulb.

I use a 100-120W CHE to heat my 6'x2'x3' enclosure in a ~80F room. If your tank is small and the room is a minimum of 75, 75W may be enough.

I'd suggest starting with a 50W or 75W and see how it does, and increasing or decreasing wattage as needed. I'm not a CHE expert so I can't tell you what you will need.

>>2043803
As far as I know, no.
>>
File: Ass 016.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Ass 016.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This little fucker right here won't touch crickets. Won't even try. He'll eat roaches, basically every worm from nightcrawlers to superworms, my fingers, etc.

But won't even lunge his fat ass at crickets. It's not some crazy issue of him not eating, but every other animal I own eats crickets so it's obnoxious that this special snowflake needs something else?

Any tips to get him to come around?
>>
>>2043805
It's a 50 gallon tank. 48Lx12Wx18H
There's 3 inches of substrate.
The room is consistently 70 degrees, hotter in the summer. I'm after a 90 degree basking spot.
I'll try a 75W and go lower in the summer.
>>
>>2043807
just dont feed him crickets, it's not like crickets are better than dubia roaches.
>>
>>2043803
Nope. Same thing.
>>
>>2043810
CHEs can be used with thermostats, and I do recommend a thermostat when using a CHE of any wattage as they can get extremely hot at full power.
>>
>>2043822
The heat pad I'm buying has one with it. I'll use it with the CHE instead.
>>
>>2043828
If you do that, then unplug the pad so it doesn't put off any heat. Any and all heating elements must be plugged into a thermostat at all times.

Belly heat isn't as necessary as people like to make it out to be anyways, the CHE should provide enough heat. The CHE should keep the bedding nice and warm as well, though.
>>
>>2043837
Then I'll axe the heat pad entirely.
>>
>>2043685
I tried this out in a tupperware dish with a little non chlorinated bottled water in it and tried to feed him some more worms but he ended up being really stressed out and trying to hop away the entire time with no interest in the worms.

Is there something im doing wrong or are pacman frogs really skitish when you first get them or something?
>>
>>2041747
dont be a douchebag. "i phrase things". fuck off
>>
File: you.jpg (14KB, 410x308px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
14KB, 410x308px
>>2043946
>>
File: 20160122_112801.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160122_112801.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
Prehensile tailed skink
>>
>>2043222

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #8

Bumble Bee Walking Toad

>difficulty: intermediate and before you yell at me that these are piss easy I insist on all amphibians being classified intermediate at base level. because.
>size 1"-1.5"
>red toes and butt
>low 70's room temperature is fine
>low humidity for an amphibian ~50%-60%

pros
>it's like a poison dart frog but not a poison dart frog and easier care than poison dart frogs
>they have a really funny walk. they sort of mosey around instead of the usual hop.
>available captive bred in the US from Josh's Frogs and sometimes other places as well
>can live peacefully in groups of any sex ratio

cons
>they are teeny tiny
>>
File: 1393208625975.jpg (82KB, 560x575px) Image search: [Google]
1393208625975.jpg
82KB, 560x575px
>>2043915
Wha... why did you add water? Just put him in the dish with the feeder and don't move around/make noise and he'll get it. I don't know why you added water, that doesn't even make sense. That's what caused him to be all stressed out

And if the worms aren't moving around a lot, he won't eat them. Their attacking instinct is triggered by motion, feed things that crawl or squirm
>>
>>2044002
Cute.

I'm really enjoying these things you're doing. Please keep it up
>>
>>2044010
it wasn't a lot of water it was a very very small amount to clean the dirt off the worms. It didn't even go over his toes. But yeah I left him for a few minutes with two pretty active worms and he just kept trying to jump away.
>>
>>2044002
oh i forgot one addition con: they are difficult to breed in captivity so breeding your own colony at home is an expert amphibian keeper endeavour, should you wish to attempt it.
>>
>>2044013
Well feeling that on his belly, I'm sure it could have been kinda cold and stressed him out, he's a frog lol. Clean off the worms before you put them in. Just be very calm and gentle when picking him up and putting him in and he'll eventually figure out that that's where he gets fed now.

Unless you're frog's some kind of crazy guy, I say it'll eventually work. If I can get a wild-caught toad to regularly feed this way as well as a pacman frog, then I'm sure he'll figure it out and eat there.
>>
File: chewie.jpg (54KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
chewie.jpg
54KB, 700x500px
>>2044002

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #9

Chahoua gecko aka mossy prehensile tail gecko

>care is basically the same as crested geckos
>temp mid 70's
>humidity 50%-80%

pros
>fully prehensile tail. as you can see in pic related they can do the chameleon tail curl
>little larger than crested geckos but not as big as leachies
>generally considered to be, and in my experience with them I agree, the most intelligent of the commonly available New Caledonian geckos. Very very curious about their surroundings
>beautiful colour patterns

cons
>they breed slowly and so are quite expensive. not leachianus expensive but pretty close. you're looking at maybe $250 at a reptile expo on the low end. $500+ for exceptional colouring/pattern (they don't really have morphs perse)
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
More panic time
Snake's belly started to go pink with the start of her she'd cycle the start of this week. Went ahead and gave her a soak and up'd the humidity in the cage. Checked a day later and noticed the cage would be dry save for whatever spot in her hidebox she's sit on which would still have a damp spot. Got a bit concerned but assumed it was just part of the process and kept the twice a day misting along with a damp towel on top. Gave her one more check tonight and spotted this. I'm assuming the worst and that it's the start of scale rot. Is this early enough to be countered with dryer substrate and neosporin, or do I need to get an appointment with the vet?
>>
Whats a good theme for my python tank?
I need to make my plant and aesthetic choices based on a theme
After necessities, I'd like to make it look nice with subtle accessories and stuff to make it nicer.
>>
>>2044048
I think you should do jungle theme with GI Joe size snake hunters and explorers for your snaek to stalk and destroy.
>>
>>2044051
That sounds horrible
>>
>>2044053
Well see if I ever try to help you again.
>>
>>2044055
I would rather you didnt.
>>
>>2044048
You should do python-in-the-henhouse theme!
Just make a regular henhouse with hens and everything in it, but let your python in there too.

Then when people come over you can show them your henhouse and watch them freak out when they realize there's a python loose in your henhouse! It'll run around eating hens and eggs and stuff.
>>
>>2044058
I just mean like a certain place so I can find plants local to that region.
>>
>>2044058
this reminds me of the 'rattlesnakes in the bathroom' theme my uncle Merrill did that one time.
>>
>>2044059
In that case I vote for Florida Everglades.
>>
>>2044061
The climate and environment for those plants is entirely wrong for a ball python
I'd definitely do that for a burmese though.
>>
>>2044051
I love it, but there's no way you'd be able to keep a GI Joe standing in a python tank, they'd get mowed over every night
>>
>>2044064
why dont you just research plants native to the region ball pythons are found in if its that important to have a theme
>>
>>2044084
Because I'm not necessarily interested in doing west Africa.
But I mean that plants from the everglades and a ball python cant live together. Some are swamp plants used to 100+ degrees and 100% humidity
Ones a python that likes solid ground, ambient air of 80 degrees and 50%-60% humidity
>>
>>2044046
...Why did you soak her? Her shed obviously is fine. Other than that, sometimes in shed their scales look weird, that only looks like discoloration and not the start of scale rot.

Neosporin is also not what you'd use for scale rot. Scale rot comes from wet and nasty conditions, and ointment just makes things more moisturized. You'd be doing Betadine soaks to dry it out.

No need for a vet, wait for it to shed and you'll most likely see it go away.
>>
>>2044108
Because I have a crappy glass cage that can't hold humidity well. Her past sheds have been flakey so I tried to up it any way I could. Clearly I've overdone it
>>
>>2044113
Put a towel over half of the lid
Change it daily
Humidity should be up
>>
>>2044117
That was what I've started doing along side misting the cage twice a day. Skip the misting now?
>>
>>2042261
hell yeah

SAND NOODLE BOIZ WW@
>>
>>2042494
>>2042499
>>2042506
Bless your heart man, we need people like you helping those little guys out.
>>
>>2043097
Okay you convinced me! I always wanted monitor but I don't have room so I'll get this little bugger instead. After researching for a few hours I'm already in love with them. Thanks.
>>
>>2044128
Keep misting it unless the humidity gets too high
>>
>>2042261
FUCKING THIS

My sand boa was born eating live pinkies and i switched her to pre-killed but I cannot for the life of me get her to eat a fucking frozen one. And the new town I'm in only sells frozen ones fml
>>
>>2044113
You should only soak if the shed has already failed, this shed looks perfectly ok, she didn't need to be soaked this time. Soaking can ruin a perfectly good shed, so if her shed looks good next time just leave her to her devices and she'll be ok. It's not until it starts coming off flaky a soak is needed.

Have you tried switching to a tub? It won't look nice, but it should solve your humidity issues. PVC caging is another option, if you've got the money. They're really nice, I got some T12's from Animal Plastics and they were easy to put together with just a regular screwdriver.

>>2044128
A better alternative would be finding a high humidity bedding a reducing air flow. Misting doesn't provide humidity, just wetness, and won't be as effective as a good bedding and limited air flow. It's more a temporary fix than something you want to do long term.
>>
>>2044252
Yay! Reptile industry moves real slow and steppe runners were only introduced relatively recently, that's why they aren't very popular yet.
>>
File: bearbeitet 1.jpg (85KB, 450x800px) Image search: [Google]
bearbeitet 1.jpg
85KB, 450x800px
Is this thread alive?
>>
>>2044356
Yes
>>
>>2044356
yeah my herpstat 4 just stopped working while i'm stuck in a fucking blizzard
>>
>>2044345
Yeah I noticed. There are no breeders in my country that I could found online. I hope I'll find them in reptile expo by the end of the month.
>>
>>2044328
How do you heat up your frozen mice?

If you put them directly in water it might be washing the scent off, I put them in a bag and then put them under hot water so they're dry but still thawed
>>
>>2044370
Since you're stuck inside anyways you could probably play human thermostat until you get a new one.
>>
>>2044356
Ooh I like this snek!
>>
So realistically, what is the risk of impaction from feeding a ball python on coco fiber substrate?
>>
>>2044396
Almost zero. Impaction is a risk with sand, but coco fiber is organic and as such should pass fine because they can break it down to a degree.
>>
>>2044516
Good.
If there was a risk I could take it out to feed it once I get it, but leaving it in seems easier.
Naturally, I'd never just leave his food on the ground. I'd put a plate under it if he refused to eat it immediately.
>>
Are snakes allergic to papier-mâché ?
>>
>>2044535
Mold and bacteria would be really hard to control if it got even remotely damp
You'd be better off using clay and firing it
>>
>>2044386
no worries, resetting everything fixed it thankfully.
i'd have just cranked the heat if it came down to it
>>
>>2044530
I've had snakes swallow whole mouthfuls of the stuff and they've been passing stool/urates normally several years later.

Even my tiny baby garter has swallowed some, and the fibers would just come out in his poo. Now I keep the garters on aspen because of how dusty EcoEarth (my preferred brand of coco fiber) is and their low humidity needs. But yeah, they pass it quite well in my experience.
>>
>>2044682
>Now I keep the garters on aspen because of how dusty EcoEarth (my preferred brand of coco fiber) is and their low humidity needs

yeah, coco fiber is only good for humid enclosures because of this. for drier conditions I like either cypress mulch (low-moderate humidity) or aspen (dry).
>>
File: tomatofrog2a.jpg (112KB, 796x600px) Image search: [Google]
tomatofrog2a.jpg
112KB, 796x600px
>>2044022

okay let's round this out at an even 10 entries

/herp/ great pet you may not have thought of #10

Tomato Frog

>difficulty: intermediate
>size: males: 2.5" females 4"
>females are more brightly coloured
>temp range high 60's to 80
>humidity 70%-80%

pros
>just look at the picture
>they inflate themselves to look big as a defense mechanism
>more active than pacman frogs

cons
>because of the mucus they produce on their skin it is not recommended to handle them without gloves as it can cause allergic reaction. this is not a good species for handling in general.
>they do not tame very well
>look but don't touch kinda froggy
>>
>>2044745
also this may be either a pro or a con depending on your preference:

>they call a lot. it's not super loud but if you want a quiet frog this is not it.
>>
File: Juvenile American Alligator (6).jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Juvenile American Alligator (6).jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
>>2041701
Beautiful
>>
File: Mali Uromastyx (2).jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Mali Uromastyx (2).jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
>>2042371
Its as bad as when places try to show chameleons with their "pissed off" colors. Pic not related
>>
hey guys I was thinking of adding some fish or maby shrimp to my painted turtles aquarium how likely is it that he'll just eat everything in a day or two? I've been feeding him turtle food for about 10 years instead of live food if that makes any difference.
>>
File: Bearded Dragon Male (2).jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Bearded Dragon Male (2).jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>2042494
Great work Anon. btw my beardie is named GG
>>
>>2044757
Sadly he will eat them (sooner than later) eventually.
>>
>>2043990

Yes! Only time I have seen one in person is at the local zoo. They are awesome.
>>
>>2044328

try braining the frozen mouse; poke in to head with something sharp and smear the brain matter around the head. it's gross but it works sometimes.
>>
>>2044770
I'm still looking through my pics, but I used to have 2 of them. They are really fun. I couldn't believe how much their price jumped after around 2010 or so.
>>
File: 1452255830613.gif (367KB, 319x155px) Image search: [Google]
1452255830613.gif
367KB, 319x155px
>>2042494
>>2042499
>>2042506
great job
>>
File: snek.jpg (109KB, 651x745px) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
109KB, 651x745px
Posting my new friend because I can't get over how cute he is
>>
>>2044745
if they don't like being around you don't bring them into your house
>>
>>2044817
is he a normal? Those markings are awfully distinct
>>
>>2044817
Wow, he's adorable.
>>
File: snek2.jpg (410KB, 1116x628px) Image search: [Google]
snek2.jpg
410KB, 1116x628px
>>2044825
I got him from a local reptile shop, I know basically nothing about morphs. I don't really care either, I mean there are really beautiful snakes out there I'm just not interested in that aspect of pet ownership. I just wanted a friend. Guy said he's a "pastel." We picked him because he was really adventurous when we were holding him.

>>2044827
Isn't he?

Here's another showing his colours more and exploring the carpet. He came with mites though and I feel super bad spraying him down, giving baths, and putting him on nothing but paper towels.
>>
>>2044838
I demand more photos
>>
File: snek3.jpg (209KB, 1116x628px) Image search: [Google]
snek3.jpg
209KB, 1116x628px
>>2044851
I don't have many, trying not to overload him since I've only had him a little while (today is the 1 week mark).

Last one for now. He couldn't decide if he wanted to explore, hide, or stick his tongue out at me.
>>
>>2044860
So cute.
>>
>>2044860
>>2044838
>>2044817

I don't blame you, you cherish that motherfucker.
>>
File: bearbeitet 3.jpg (72KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
bearbeitet 3.jpg
72KB, 800x450px
>>2044395
>>
>>2044935
Is it a red tail boa?
>>
>>2044395
>>2045071
Yes, it's a Borneo short tailed Python
>>
>>2044935
He's not cute like a ball python or a retic
He looks like a mean uncle
>>
That´s why I bought him. He wasn´t cute as a ball python.
And yes, he looks like a mean uncle. but I have had him for about 5 years now and he looks cute too (at least to me). (sorry for my english)
>>
>>2044745
Every frog is a look but don't touch kinda frog.
>>
>>2045087
I never said it was a bad thing.
He looks macho
>>
>>2045089
But the ones in my yard are fun to touch.
>>
>>2045089
Dumpy tree frogs handle it really well.
>>
>>2045106
what about dumpies
>>
>>2045351
They respond to handling really well.
>>
>>2045381
I got two of them but I really not feel good about handling much. I'm afraid to stress em out too much
>>
no frog responds to handling well. go handle some fish while you're at it.
>>
>>2041696
How do I make my chameleon walk on my Hand I am super patient but he just gets stressed when I hold it near and appears to be climbing away from it anyone have any tips? Like when and how did you hold your cham the first time
>>
>>2045441
he's a chameleon, he might never get to the point where he lets you handle him
the only thing you can do is keep trying
>>
>>2045441
Thats because most chameleons don't like to be handled. Some are okay with it, but it isn't normal and you shouldn't expect one to be cool with it.
>>
File: tumblr_llnrm8AJEM1qcbcdeo1_400.jpg (55KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_llnrm8AJEM1qcbcdeo1_400.jpg
55KB, 400x300px
Does anyone know anything about venomous snakes? I'm looking to get a bush viper and I need to know if they can be housed together.
>>
File: tmp_4701-birdhouse21622283903.jpg (45KB, 400x409px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4701-birdhouse21622283903.jpg
45KB, 400x409px
So I put one of these coconut bird house things on my male crested gecko's tank. Hung it from the screen top. He is quite thrilled about it and has been spending the majority of the last three days in, on, or around it. So crestie seal of approval on this particular birb decor.
>>
>>2045605
I must invest in this
>>
>>2045600
I dunno venomous sneks but cohab is almost always a bad idea. Except for garters.
>>
>>2042239
Im considering getting a Woma as they arent expesnive here, what would a good substrate for them be and as active an non nocturnal snakes is it important to have a larger tank for them?
>>
>>2045441
Feed him by hand try luring him out of cage first with sticks for him to go on before hand.
Reward him for coming out of cage
A lot of patience.
>>
>>2045609
Aspen or cypress mulch is good for substrate, at least a couple inches deep as they like to burrow. 40gallon tank equivalent floor dimensions for adult (36" x 18", height doesn't really matter).

They are primarily nocturnal. Sometimes crepuscular in spring/fall.
>>
File: 9b2zvEE.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
9b2zvEE.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
A year's worth of growth on my ball python
>>
File: day14.jpg (696KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
day14.jpg
696KB, 2672x1503px
>>2042506
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Things are still going well. Today I started another cleaning session and his burn scab had finally detached from the wound underneath. It was only being held on by stuck shed. It looks to me like there is only the very smallest amount of bleeding, and no signs of infection.

I packed it with ointment and changed his wax paper, he seems pretty chill otherwise.
>>
>>2045637
Looks like he's healing really well
>>
>>2045648
He really is. There is just the smallest bit of progress every other day or so.

Just got to get him healthy enough to feed.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3218x2414px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3218x2414px
What does /an/ think of my leopard gecko's habitat? Anything I need to fix for my little buddy?

Few notes:
>light was only for picture lighting
>left hide exits from the back to a calcium dish
>Hammock is kind of pointless but my Leo explores a lot and seems to enjoy it
>>
>>2045705
He's a juvenile (might be female) and lives in a 10 gallon tank. I actually heard that single Leos should have a minimum of a 20 gallon when they are adult but others claim they won't utilize heat sources properly with anything bigger than 15...
>>
>>2045780
That size is fine for your juvenile but you should get a bigger one for an adult.

They won't lose track of their heat source, that is a myth. As long as there is a proper temp gradient and plenty of cover.

I use a 33 gallon long for a single adult.
Pic kind of related, it's a 33 gallon long.
>>
>>2045705
I'd change your background to something deserty
but your leo cant tell the difference so I'm just being nit-picky
>>
So something kind of shitty happened today. I was pruning a dead leaf off a plant in my gecko tank, and out of nowhere my male l. williamsi gecko made a run for freedom. I handed my husband a tupperware to catch the thing in, since he has better reflexes than me, and he got him, but well... amputated the lower 3rd of its tail. The injury didn't bleed at all, and we got him back in his enclosure. He's active and eating. What's the odds he dies overnight?
>>
>>2045797
we'll he's a gecko, their tails are kind of supposed to do that aren't they?
>>
>>2045808
That's the thing, it didn't come off at the base. He accidentally clipped off part of the tail when he put the tupperware over the thing. The tail didn't drop off naturally.
>>
>>2045785
Is there no top to that? I see plants sticking up, wouldn't the gecko climb out?

>Not the other anon.
>>
>>2045819
Thats a fish tank, anon, pic related to size not ownership
>>
My friend got this, can anyone please tell me what this is? They look like little roaches but I dont think they are, my friend has no clue either. It came with tarantula slings she got. Thanks
>>
File: wqweqwewq.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
wqweqwewq.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
>>2045851
>>
>>2045814
Unless williamsi are different than other lizards, they have a shitload of different points they can pop it off, so it probably did come off normally.

If he's eating and stuff i'd say he'll be fine.
>>
>>2045851
Those are lateralis nymphs.
>>
>>2045862
Whoa, thanks!
>>
>>2045851
Literalis are roaches fyi
>>
>>2043222
Those look really adorable. How many can you keep in one colony? No more than two?
>>
>>2045814
Check the wound for infection every other day. You can clean wound with nolvasan then dab a little neosporin on if you wish although that is not usually necessary. Tail drops, even partial ones, typically heal quickly.
>>
>>2045953
There is no upper number limit so long as the tank is big enough. General guidelines for pictus cohab:

>10 gallons per gecko (20 for 2, 30 for 3 etc)
>all female okay
>1 male + 2 or more females okay
>no more than one male per tank
>if geckos do not get along you must be prepared to separate them to individual tanks immediately

They are prolific breeders so i don't recommend male/female group unless you have the time to find all the eggs and freeze or incubate them. Females are also known to retain sperm and can produce fertile eggs as long as 6 months after last copulation.
>>
I was thinking about making cute snake hides out of clay. What sort of precautions should I take to make it snake safe? Not sure if I should leave it untreated or coat it with paint/sealer. Are most paints safe?
>>
File: 0125161226.jpg (893KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
0125161226.jpg
893KB, 2240x1344px
I have added a few shade tolerant plants to my tank.

>>2046025
I've read apoxie sculpt is safe for reptiles.
Not sure about paints though.
>>
>>2044825
>>2044838
Looks like a pastel to me, I think you got what you paid for, anon.

>>2045637
Wow, he's come a long way! Good job anon, he's really pulling through. Do you plan on keeping him permanently after this?
>>
>>2046058
Yes, he was a gifted to me by his former owner, so I will be keeping.
>>
>>2046058
Oh, yeah I don't doubt he's a pastel I just don't know what that means really. Shop owner said his yellows would get brighter as he gets older. I hope his dark browns and blacks stay dark though, I love his contrast.
>>
>>2046086
Pastel is just a lighter morph of ball pythons, doesn't get brighter though, it's gonna darken up a bit as he gets older
>>
>>2046118
>nambaqua chameleon
why aren't these in the pet trade?
>chameleon
>none of that high humidity AND open airflow shit
>>
File: 20160125_162757-1.jpg (2MB, 2273x1488px) Image search: [Google]
20160125_162757-1.jpg
2MB, 2273x1488px
>reptile cave
>the first and largest image is of a tomato frog

REEEE
>>
Are there any cobra mimics in the pet trade?
I find the general look and head shape of cobras to be very handsome, but I'm not about to get myself some hots.
I figure since viper boas exist there's gotta be something
>>
>>2046186
There is but it's more of a comedy parody than a look-alike. Hognose snakes do a goofy approximation of the cobra hood. It is like a cute little puppy trying to look tough. Hognoses are pure kek just in general. They also play dead.
>>
>>2046186
False water cobra.
>>
File: Hog16good.jpg (40KB, 480x369px) Image search: [Google]
Hog16good.jpg
40KB, 480x369px
>>2046193
>>
>>2045785
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably get him a 20 gallon next month at the convention.
>>2045787
Yeah I actually really like the jungle looks despite improper location realistically, but the desert tanks are awesome too. Especially with succulents and tile. Maybe next time?

Also, bought him dubia for the first time today. Seems to like them!
>>
>>2046265
Leopard geckos don't necessarily live in deserts, per se, but more like rocky scrublands and what not

pic related
>>
>>2046202

hmm... you don't really get the full silly effect when you just see a hoggy doing the cobra impression. Here, watch this video, which is how they look and behave normally, then compare to picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi_6Xl7DBJs
>>
>>2046086
What this anon said >>2046118

And to my untrained eye, your pastel already looks really dark for such a young age, so expect a very dark low-quality adult. It's still pretty, though, pushing aside any quality arguments. Sometimes some of the prettiest animals are the lowest-quality individuals of that morph.
>>
File: TOX3k6N.jpg (940KB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
TOX3k6N.jpg
940KB, 2988x5312px
First shed of the year and lookin good! Its been one year since I got her and she went from ~30 grams to about 330 now
>>
File: blur.jpg (53KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
blur.jpg
53KB, 600x800px
>>2046343
reminds me of this
Blurred animals are cute
>>
>>2046376
she was looking at the camera right before I took it, she's quick when she wants to be
>>
>>2046118
>>2046338

Neat. Good thing I don't really care much for morphs. He's hella cute and friendly. I'd be pleased as peaches if he stays exactly the same colours as he is now. The exciting part is seeing how he will change and grow!
>>
>>2046343
oh yeah can someone more versed in morphs than I am tell me if my girl is a yellow belly or not?
I was told she was a normal when I got her, but she has an abnormally high amount of blushing and flaming
>>
File: 0125162153.jpg (854KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
0125162153.jpg
854KB, 2240x1344px
Update on this tank
It is moved out of the window

The bottom is reinforced, before anyone says anything.
>>
File: tank.jpg (398KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
tank.jpg
398KB, 1920x2560px
>>2046457
>>
>>2046376
>very fast gecgo running at incredibel high speeds
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2439x3253px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2439x3253px
>>2045705
Another thing if you don't mind /an/: I'm still clueless on age. I know he is a bit over 6in, not sure on weight. I've had him since December 5th (so he's at very least 2 months in February). Anybody have a clue? No patterns makes it a bit confusing.

Also another thing i'm curious about is if he's a regular blizzard or a blazing blizzard? The guy I bought him from called him albino but...looking back now I don't really know how knowledgable he was about geckos after all.
>>
>>2046628
The breeder didn't tell you anything about his age?
>>
>>2046637
Nope. The breeder was pretty novice (or knew I was maybe?). Just said he had some recent hatchlings. Looks like he took great care of his geckos though, I'll admit. But I should have asked way more questions. If I get another I have a specific experienced breeder in mind next time that goes to conventions.
>>
>>2046645
Just a very rough estimate, he looks like he could be 5-7 months old.

I only have one Leopard gecko, so not much experience. Pic related is my guy at 4 months old.
>>
>>2046628
don't know too much about L. geckos, but thats not an albino if it has black eyes, its a xanthic morph... or at least that's what it'd be called if it was a fish.
>>
>>2046628
That's just a regular blizzard, a blazing blizzard has a noticeable yellow on the sides.
>>
>>2046752
Yep. Blazing blizzard is a blizzard + one of the three albino strains. Pic related.
>>
>>2046008
This isn't possible. I can't clean the wound in any way. Will keep a lookout for infection, but I'm not able to do anything that would require touching the animal in any way.
>>
Okay guys so when I was a kid I had Leopard geckos twice, I loved them but I was a dumb kid and didn't take very good care of them, so they didn't live very long.

Now, years later, I actually have money and knowledge about it, so I wanted to get not a Leopard gecko, but an African fat tail instead. I looked for breeders in Ohio and came across a pretty legitimate looking website for a guy who's breeding leopards and fat tails near Cleveland. He has prices listed, and the site just said to email him about anything you're interested in.

So of course I shoot him an email about a few of the fat tails I'd potentially be interested in, and I did that this Thursday. I asked if we could meet in-person as opposed to delivering the animal because I only live an hour away and it's winter. He emailed me back Friday night at like 10:30pm saying that he'd be fine with meeting up, and asked where I was located. I let him know and said I'd be fine with meeting where ever, and that I'd even just drive to the facility itself if needed.

Well getting to the point I want to make, he hasn't emailed me back since then. I'm trying not be pushy, but I did email him one more time yesterday just letting him know that I have an enclosure already prepared for the gecko and that I'm ready to buy it and meet up. Nothing back from him.

This guy seems to be running a legitimate business but he really isn't on top of the correspondence aspect of this operation imo. Are breeders usually this way? I have a whole enclosure set up for this lizard and I haven't even chosen which one I want yet. Should I call the number listed on the site or something? I really wanna get this show on the road

Sorry for writing a novel
>>
>>2046791
This sort of thing has happened to me a couple times as well. Everything seems good but breeder sucks at communication. My advice is to pull out of the deal. Find a different breeder. Shit communication is NOT a good sign.

There are two AFT breeders in North America I have personal experience with. The Urban Gecko in Canada and Geckos Etc in the states. Since you're in the US, recommend Geckos Etc. Their communication is good and quality of geckos excellent. Overnight shipping of reptiles is safe by the way, you just sometimes have to wait for appropriate weather.

http://www.geckosetc.com/available_fattails.html
>>
File: whiteout african fat tail gecko.jpg (41KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
whiteout african fat tail gecko.jpg
41KB, 600x450px
AFTs a cute.
>>
>>2046647
Your gecko is very cute!

>>2046752
>>2046767
Okay thanks. If anything he's mostly white and darkish brown/purple depending on the day and temperature. He always has some yellow on his sides but not very much.
>>
>>2046977
That's why I want one! They're like cuter Leopard geckos

>>2046941
I'll look at geckos etc. This guy is starting to pass me off a bit. The place is called JMC Reptiles btw, Google for the site.

Do they ship young babby geckos? I don't necessarily mean hatchlings, but something maybe only a few months or weeks old. I'd prefer to get a juvenile and raise it, not too interested in a an adult.
>>
>>2046941
>>2047034
Jesus christ, just looked at Urban Gecko and those gecks are fucking expensive. The cheapest ones were $150, and 99% were sold out.

And the cheapest Leopards were $125, and I'm not even looking for one of those

Do these prices include shipping or do they tack another $60 on for that, too?
>>
>>2047034

Yes, although when there is shipping involved most breeders prefer to wait until the gecko is about 20 grams just to be on the safe side.

Another option, and cheaper, is to attend a reptile expo in your area. That is a good way to see gecko in person and be able to take it home right away, while also meeting the breeder too.
>>
>>2047059

Urban Gecko is a specialty breeder. You will notice that the only normals they list on their website are het for a bunch of other stuff, thus the price. Breeders like this sell their (non-het) normals at expos and local reptile shops.
>>
>>2047063
I'd definitely be interested in attending one, I actually have wanted to now for a while. The only ones even remotely near me aren't until the 20th or 21st of next month though. Bummer.

How old would you say they'd be at 20 grams? Just curious

>>2047065
That makes sense. Unfortunately in that case, I'm not really interested in breeding or specialty morphs, I just would like a pet. It doesn't even have to look fancy, when it comes to AFTs, one of the things that drew me to them was their natural color. I like brown blocks with a stripe.

Would you happen to know of anybody or a site that sells non-het normie geckos? Or do they sell so cheap that it's not worth the process anybody?
>>
>>2047065
>>2047071
Or could I even just email them and ask if they have normals? Do they even get normals when breeding? Or do they just cull them if they come out that way?
>>
>>2047071

20 grams for an AFT raised in ideal conditions would be approximately 6-9 months old. Something like that.

You certainly can email any breeder to ask about surplus normals not listed on their site. They do not cull them... at least none of the breeders I have ever spoken to do that.

Also check faunaclassifieds.com classifieds. That's a good place to find smaller breeders. They have a pretty rigorous review system on that site so the people who sell there regularly have a good chance of being dependable.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73
>>
>>2047080
I just emailed both Urban Gecko and Geckos Etc about the matter. I'll keep you guys posted about what they say just in case anybody else is interested.

Thanks for the info dude
>>
>>2047080
just one thing about fauna classifieds. "Field collected" = wild caught. You don't want that.
>>
>>2047083
Yeah man I gotcha. I actually went back and clarified in both messages to UG and GEtc that wild caught specimens were out of the question if they recommended anywhere selling normal non-hets.
>>
>>2043252
I asked my vet once about this; my beardie was taking enormous shits only once a week, usually after a little activity. He told me not to worry; a lot of behavioral foibles can cause beardies to prefer different rates and locations for shits. As long as they are pooping, they are good, he said.
>>
What's a good close alternative to dubia?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
My beardie is fat as fuck
>>
File: 2016-01-26 20.17.22 (1).jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-26 20.17.22 (1).jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
My Jaguar Carpet still hasn't tamed out after 2 weeks with me, expected, it always tries to strike at me when i pick it up and when i put it back.
I wear gloves while handling it because the heat from my hand might spook it but it constantly strikes at my hand anyway.
I know they are known to bite while young and this one isn't one year old yet or so told me the previous owner.
It feeds fine but has a better food response at my hand than the food.
I handle it about twice a week.
Any advice?
Pic related
>>
>>2047104

I've never seen a lizard with manboobs before.
>>
File: snek den.jpg (558KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
snek den.jpg
558KB, 1920x2560px
Rate the hide I made
It's a burrow
>>
File: bromeliad and money tree.jpg (545KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
bromeliad and money tree.jpg
545KB, 1920x2560px
>>2047124
Heres some other stuff.
Judge it harshly
>>
File: pink nerve.jpg (686KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
pink nerve.jpg
686KB, 1920x2560px
>>2047126
I planted everything where it would do best
Bamboo is on the hot side where it can be really moist, pink nerve is on the cool side
>>
Hey guys is it ok to leave crickets in my pacmans terrarium overnight? Theres plenty of water and they've already been fed.
>>
I hope this is not suppose to go in Aquarium general, but I have an african clawed frog that is very lethargic and sometimes won't eat.
3 days ago I had the water checked at the local shop, he said my ammonia level was almost 2 parts per million, and to do water changes. He said that because the frogs don't have gills, they won't be affected as badly as fish would be, but I should still take care of it asap.
Its a 20 gal tank and I've done a 5 gallon water change every day since. So I've changed 15 gallons but I know that doesn't mean I've removed 1.5ppm..
Anyway, up until that day I didn't see anything different behaviorally with either of my frogs. But that night the male refused to eat. Normally he is a very active eater but I literally set the half frozen cube of blood worms on his head and he barely touched it if at all. The same thing happened yesterday and I assume the same will happen the next time I feed him. I'm getting worried.
The female is behaving normally, still swimming around and hiding in the little cave.
My worry is that the ammonia has already affected him badly, and the female just isn't showing symptoms yet.. The plus side being sometimes ACF's are moody and don't eat, so they may be fine, but this is the first time either of them have acted strangely. They are almost a year old. Any input is appreciated.

Tl;Dr ACF suddenly not eating, is this because of ammonia in the water or is he just being moody?
>>
>>2047153
No
>>
>>2047167
And yes I have started feeding them less, as uneaten extra food is likely the source of the ammonia in the first place
>>
File: IMG952999.jpg (147KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG952999.jpg
147KB, 1536x2048px
>>2041696
Our veiled eating a wax worm that my fiance held in front of him on a tray, not quite able to hand feed yet, but getting there!
Oh wait as I was writing this she texted me, he took on from her hands that's fucking awesome!
I love this guy, unfortunately I'm at work so I missed it
>>
>>2047153
Don't do that. Feed your pacman out of its enclosure and be there when it eats

>>2047178
>>2047167
I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues on. I doubt the ammonia has anything to do with it, honestly all the ruckus caused by the water changes could be stressing him out further. Clawed frogs are extremely resistant to pretty much anything. That could just be your dude's attitude. I don't think I've heard of ammonia doing anything to them unless it's ridiculously insane high levels or something.

I say put off feeding for a bit, that will decrease ammonia, and invoke a stronger feeding response for when they do get fed again. And just let them relax. I've had my ACF for a while now and have never had to check the water parameters, I just replace the filter whenever it gets filthy, and add some water conditioner to remove heavy metal traces. Metal ions are what will really fuck with them.

And if that doesn't do the trick and your froggie gets worse, ask somebody with more experience than me, sorry if that's the situation
>>
>>2047185
>>2047170
ok took them out, looks like he munched down on about 4 of them though, he definitely looks fatter.
>>
File: IMG_20150412_142435-1.jpg (4MB, 2325x2150px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150412_142435-1.jpg
4MB, 2325x2150px
>>2047180
Also here's our pinstripe ball python
>>
>>2047190
cute 'thon
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-26-17-25-53.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-26-17-25-53.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>2047196
Thanks anon

Here's another picture of what I'm thinking might be a possible scaleless patch on his head.
As far as I know he's never been bitten there, I know the picture doesn't show it but it's not scarred it's just smooth skin underneath.
Obviously this is a few and far between occurrence but here's to hoping!
>>
File: blowjob.jpg (81KB, 300x534px) Image search: [Google]
blowjob.jpg
81KB, 300x534px
Hey guys I just stumbled upon and ad on Kingsanke for these tings called reptilinks.

Like what the fuck, is this a thing? Does anybody here use them or know anything about them?

I personally found the picture of snakes sucking down sausages very amusing

http://www.reptilinks.com/#about
>>
>>2047185
Thanks for the response. I feel better about the situation, it's just such different behavior so I worry about him
>>
File: come on giv food.jpg (51KB, 1410x793px) Image search: [Google]
come on giv food.jpg
51KB, 1410x793px
>>2047188
Pics?

>>2047216
No problem dude, I like helping people out when I can. And I wouldn't worry about it too much, clawed frogs are notorious for being hardy as fuck.

But I'm no professional, either. Like I said, if it gets worse or goes on for a while, I'd consider consulting a veterinarian or something.

Pic is my lil Bean
>>
>>2047211
It's so goofy
They have a money back guarantee, I may buy some.
>>
File: BRING ME SOLO.png (773KB, 1875x638px) Image search: [Google]
BRING ME SOLO.png
773KB, 1875x638px
>>2047104
Well it can't be as bad as this one, right?
>>
>>2047263
Hahaha Holy fuck is that possible?
>>
where can I find like, all the basic info for taking proper care of a pet snake?
never had reptiles before but snakes are cute as hell and I can't have a cat in my house
>>
>>2047274
Depends on the snake.
>>
>>2047274
Reptiles magazine website. Or just Google the name of the species you want and then 'care'.
>>
Hey guys, I've been interested in raising a bearded dragon for a long time now but I've always been pretty wary about the amount of crickets/other bugs I've seen other people feed them. Is there a certain cost effective way to keep one besides raising a colony of bugs? (Roommates would not be into that)-- or should I buy one a little older? I still want to see it grow up, but I don't think I want to get one that's very small just because of how many crickets the babies would eat daily.
>>
>>2047279
>>2047277
Most of the pet stores around me only seem ot have ball pythons and corn snakes, both of which sound easy enough for a beginner.
Would one be more advisable than the other?
>>
>>2047299
Corn snake. Ball pythons need much more specific environmental parameters and are notorious for having feeding problems.
>>
>>2047286
Buy frozen crickets, or get worms since they need less room.
>>
Okay >>2047082 here

So I emailed both Urban Gecko and Geckos Etc and so far only Geckos Etc has replied. The lady informed me that they do have normal non-hets in a certain section of their website, and to let her know if any of them interested me. I told her that there was one that I might be interested in and asked a few questions about shipping and their live arrival policy and shit, and she hasn't replied since. She replied within a couple hours the first time, now nothing. Am I just being impatient or is that kinda bs?

I'm almost tempted to just wait til Thursday for my local pet shop to get a new shipment of leopard geckos and just getting one of those.
>>
>>2047211
I've heard of them before
they include bones and stuff so its all good.
whether or not your snake decides it wants to eat it is another matter
>>
>>2047114
Ive been planning on getting one of those for awhile.
From what I read they completely change colors from birth to adulthood right? So its just luck if I get one of those super contrasted black and yellow ones right?

I've read that they are quite nippy when they are young btw and that it eventually dies down as they get bigger and less afraid of everything eating them.
>>
>>2047330

it's a business, right. they run on business hours. 9-5 sorta thing. i'm sure they'll get back to you tomorrow.
>>
>>2047336

I find of the idea of flapping my sausage in a snake's face insisting it eat it to be a very lewd scenario. This sausage is for you. Take it in to your mouth.
>>
>>2047059
Hunt around on http://www.leopardgecko.com

Tremper sells some regulars and low end for like $60. I've bought from him and very much recommend it.
>>
>>2047114
I don't have a snake, I have a leopard gecko.

It's going to take time for him to get used to you. I don't know why you're trying to pick him up already.

Do normal tank maintenance. Let him see you and he'll realize you aren't a threat eventually. Put your hand in the tank every other day for 10 to 15 minutes and stay still. Just let him see you, slither over you if he does. Don't make fast movements and spook him.
>>
>>2047349
Those are some nice gecks at decent prices but I've already looked through 3 pages and literally every single one except for an NFS breeder female are either reserved for someone or sold.

Why do they even list them if they're sold? Just to show what potential future livestock may look like?
>>
>>2047263
rip
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-27-00-12-22.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-27-00-12-22.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Was just browsing through the pacman frog hashtag on Instagram (don't do this btw, shit owners galore) and I came across this.

Like what the fuck? How can you justify feeding a pacman frog a large snake whilst keeping it in a terrarium with small gravel as a substrate? People feed these things anything because of the whole "lol its just a stomach with legs" meme. Just because they will bite at anything doesn't mean you should feed them anything.
>>
>>2047362
That could be a reason. there's multiple pages with different morphs at various prices.

Other than that there are reptile shows. Find out when the next one is taking place in your area.
>>
>>2047442
You should have called him out for being a shithead
Dont use instagram. It's full of mouthbreathing retards.
>>
>>2047442
typical edgelords. like the people who feed live mice to their snapping turtles.
>>
>>2047442
Theres nothing wrong with that, feeding a pacman reptiles is much healthier than feeding mammals.

It's also pretty obvious the ball python was dead before it was fed to the frog.
>>
>>2047362
I went and looked at some of the geckos, you were right a bunch of them were on hold or sold. You should send them an email and ask when their next batch of hatchings is ready.
>>
>>2047466
maybe I'm underestimating pac man frogs, but that doesn't look like that snake can fit in there
>>
>>2047473
That snake is emaciated, if that helps your disbelief. Triangle shape is underweight
>>
>>2044046
>>2044108
Update for this one

You were correct, once she shedded (first time it's all come off in one piece since I got her) I was unable to find any discoloration. It's amazing how common things with reptiles look similar to the things that can harm them
>>
>>2046465
I laughed at that way more than I should have.
>>
we're past bump limit on this one. New thread

>>2047664

>>2047664

>>2047664

>>2047664

>>2047664

>>2047664
>>
>>2047509
Yeah, snakes skins are a little more delicate while in shed, so their scales can look wonky at times.
>>
>>2047114
first off, assuming you gave it a week to settle in to its new enclosure like you should have before interacting with it in any way, that would mean you handled it twice so far. If not and you went right in to handling it without giving it time to settle, then you've still only handled it 4 times. This is a long time consuming process, its not going to happen over night. just relax and take it slow, i suggest handling in its enclosure for a while at first, that way if it wants it can escape to a hide and feel safe. then over time you can get it out of the cage little by little. dont wear gloves unless you are really worried about its bite, your hands aren't going to startle it any more without gloves on. it might also help to move some things around before handling it, wash your hands first and then maybe pick up something in the enclosure to keep between your hand and the snake. I will usually pick up and move the water bowl out of the way and then pick up their hide, this way they know its not feeding time.

be aware of the snakes body language as well, i can't comment on your handling technique since i cant see it but i try to avoid manhandling, even when putting them back in the enclosure i let them take their time going back. tree snakes are also generally a lot more flighty and timid when young so just give it some time
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 81

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.