[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /an/, I'm going to college in the fall. how terrible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: cornsnake.jpg (14KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
cornsnake.jpg
14KB, 264x191px
hey /an/,

I'm going to college in the fall. how terrible of an idea is keeping a corn snake hidden in my dorm room if I can get the setup right?
>>
>>2038996
Buy a shrunk and mod it out for a snake tank. No one will ever know.
>>
>>2038997
a what?
I've heard it's pretty easy to mod certain types of Tupperware as passable tanks, but I'm not sure about the heat source. my corn would be a baby while it was in the dorm anyway, so it wouldn't have to be huge. and I don't think the RAs can look in closets, so that might work haha. or under the bed.
>>
>>2038996
why would you do that?
>>
>>2039005
They have the authority to look anywhere and everywhere.

When I lived in the dorms they never even looked in our rooms as far as I know. The only time they checked up on us was if something was reported. It all depends on how strick or lazy your RAs are
>>
>>2039008
my mom hates reptiles and I've always wanted a snake. it seems do-able and I'd like a buddy to hang out with me while I study and make my life a little better there. I also have pretty severe depression and animals are one of the only things that actually work to keep me sane sometimes.

my best friend from high school is probably going to room with me too and she loves snakes, so there's no issues there.

>>2039016
ah man, I was afraid of that. I guess I'd have to feel out my RAs and probably wait a few weeks for them to relax a little after the semester started to try anything.
>>
>>2039023
Why not just fuck her?
>>
>>2039025
my mom, the snake, or my friend?
>>
>>2039026
>my best friend from high school is probably going to room with me too and she
>she

Who do you think?
>>
>>2039028
it's 4chan, you never know
>assuming I'm a guy
because she's straight and I already have a girlfriend anyway
>>
it depends on how upset you'll be when they find it and get rid of it.

don't get anyone upset at you or they'll narc you out. and don't mention it around any staff.
>>
>>2039033
I don't think the consequences are any worse than making me get rid of it where I'm going but I should probably look into that a bit more. wasn't planning on telling anyone but my roomie anyway haha.

anyone have any ideas for the heating? and corns don't really need any lighting systems or anything as long as I don't constantly keep it in the dark, right?
>>
File: 1393115282899.jpg (30KB, 203x345px) Image search: [Google]
1393115282899.jpg
30KB, 203x345px
lol college girls are pretty stupid. Women in general, even.

Don't get a pet unless you have proper resources to properly care for it. Sure, maybe you can get a decent enclosure set up, but if you have one string of shit luck and get caught, then what's going to happen to that poor snake? You just going to let it go? Give it back to the pet store? Kill it? Regardless, your whole operation will be for not if even one person lets it slip that you are secretly keeping an animal in your room, unless you have the absolutely laziest RA's in the world. The RA's in my college apartment were lazy assholes and they still caught some stupid-ass girl that was keeping a fucking cat in the building. From what I heard she got kicked for good.

Get a job at a pet store or a zoo or even a museum or something. Or you could just wait a few years until you have your own place and income and just get your snake then.
>>
>>2038996
>Having any pet in a situation where it can be easily accessed by a large number of frequently drunken idiots when the concepts of privacy and trespass are more concepts than regulations.

HEY BRO, CHECK IT OUT. WE TURNED YOUR SNAKE INTO A BONG.
>>
>>2039197
eh, I'm not mad. some men gotta have somewhere to be whiny pissbabies together and this website is one of those places.

I'd probably give it back to the breeder or look around for a home for it on snake forum or something.

a snake is a little less conspicuous than a cat, but true.

pet stores and zoos are mostly depressing. museums are alright. yeah, maybe.

>>2039207
..yeah really you got a point there, but I think I could keep it quiet. I'm not exactly the most talkative person anyway, so I doubt people would exactly grill me about what's in some non-visible place in my room anyway.
>>
>>2038996
You won't have the room. Simply impossible.
>>
File: 1434312535769.jpg (151KB, 870x960px) Image search: [Google]
1434312535769.jpg
151KB, 870x960px
>>2039229
>guys, is this idea terrible?
>yeah, it actually is a pretty bad idea
>wow fuck u nerds I do what I want
>>
>>2039197
Most pet stores won't take back pets unless you are exchanging for another one due to illness. Most shelters don't take exotic animals or aren't qualified for exotic animals. I don't think a corn snake can live in the wild.
They usually give you a day or so to get rid of if, OP is looking at getting very lucky in CL and finding some young kid that wants an edgy pet, or getting it euthanized at an exotics vet. Or more likely, letting it free to die.

It doesn't matter if you keep it quiet. If your friend has a friend besides you, she may accidentally spill the beans. You may accidentally tell someone you have a snake via conversation about reptiles. You may have someone in your dorm, or your friend may have someone in your dorm, that finds out about it. You or your friend or whoever is in your dorm might be pissed at you and look for things to use against you (which could just be a lie to get your room searched and then you'd be fucked anyways). If RAs do do checks (we had randomized checks every month after someone brought in a cat with RW that spread), if firefighters have to do inspections, which they did every god damn week where i went because stupid bitches would leave their hair dryers on, if someone on your floor gets caught with weed/alcohol and they check all the rooms... To think they will never check your room once within the life of the snake/the time you spend in that dorm is really silly. They do checks more often than you think.

Have you thought about volunteering with reptiles instead? It would also look good for employers to see you volunteer your time
>>
If you don't mention it to people, your chances of getting caught are about zero if you use a tub that's out of sight.

Normies don't look at tubs and assume there's a snake in them.
>>
>>2039232
nah there's just conflicting opinions so I'm not completely shut down yet

>>2039239
hmm, yeah. I'm mostly betting on the fact that I'd have it hidden/disguised well enough so that they wouldn't find it. like, think a dresser with one of the drawers as a tub with socks on top of part of it or something..but I guess if they were looking for drugs, they'd check random drawers and stuff. I'm not sure, the policies are kind of vague.
yeah, I was planning on volunteering with animals no matter what :)

what I'm getting from all this is that I should probably just feel it out once I get there.

>>2039241
that's what I was hoping, but if they can and do look inside things like that then I'll probably get caught. it depends.
>>
okay so the college I'm going to isn't allowed to look through personal stuff or in closets and only sight checks the dorms, does that change anything?
>>
>>2039704
no
>>
>>2039704
Yes
>>
>>2038996
I live in an apartment at college that doesnt "allow pets" but whatever I do what I want. Im a regular kingsnake shit poster. If it isnt allowed and you do it, just be willing to pay fines and move on. Its not a big deal, rules are to be broken.
>>
>>2039197

>your whole operation will be for not if

It's "for naught". As in for nothing. You just lost your license to call people stupid.
>>
>>2038996
I say you're fine even if they do find it. If it's like a corn snake or a ball python they won't say anything
>>
Just sign up for a pet friendly dorm. A proper setup would be near impossible, since most American universities perform random sweeps all the time.
>>
>>2039229
>eh, I'm not mad. some men gotta have somewhere to be whiny pissbabies together and this website is one of those places.

tumblr is that away maam
>>
>>2039705
>>2039709
thanks

>>2039714
>>2040533
yeah, I don't think getting caught would really be that bad in this case if I somehow messed up that bad? I'm seriously leaning towards just doing it if I have lazy enough RAs.

>>2040545
I don't think they have those at my school, unfortunately. but they only do sweeps on break and even then they're only visual and they can't go into closets or personal belongings. (i.e, not-super-obviously-a-snake-inside tubs)

>>2040586
nah, just realistic.
>>
>>2038996
My girlfriend did the same thing but with a fairly larger and more aggressive snake.
Her set up was pretty discrete, a large storage bin with a heating pad underneath. She never got caught with it, so as long as you don't let the world know you should be fine as well.
>>
hey anon,

i did that exact thing when i lived in a dorm the last two years. it was ok

as long as you have an area where you can cover them with a blanket or generally hide them? RAs aren't going to go busting into your room for no reason/ with no warning, and even then it could depend on your RA. I even had him out a few times while they were doing fire inspections, but no one said anything since it's not the fire departments job to tell on me for having a pet.

id also recommend waiting a bit though. during college welcome weeks people are more likely to want to see your dorm. plus you can get a feel for the strictness of the place.

also get a big enough box to put the tank in for moving in and out.

but yeah. i did fine. best of luck if you decide on keeping one
>>
>>2039016
I was an RA. If you don't give an RA problems, you'll barely know they exist. At least that was my style. I literally told my residents before health and safety check "I know you don't ave bad shit in your room *wink wink* but if you did, it would be a good idea to hide it for the week of X through X *wink wink*"

For room checks we walk in, look around and if nothing is immediately obvious we leave, we check the fridge.

Maybe they have different policies at your school. RAs don't have time to play narc-cop. We are in it for the free housing that we are too poor to afford.

I knew one of my residents had a spotted gecko. But he was never an issue although he was kind of a weird dude, he was of good character and moral conviction.

Gave me no shit, so I gave him no shit. Just don't advertise "HEY I GOTTA PET IM MY ROOM! COME OVER AND PET IT! To everyone."

One inspection day just put his cage in a dresser drawer or something and put clothing over top.
>>
>>2040815
>>2040827
>>2040834

great, thanks guys :) I think I'll wait it out for a few weeks then go for it if I still think it'll work fine.

one thing, are there usually freezers in dorms? if there's not, then what would I do about the mice?
>>
>>2040878
Oh wait, RA-fag here, is this like a dorm-dorm, or like a dorm that is basically an apartment dorm?

Just put your mice inside a frozen pizza box. Damn be creative.
>>
>>2040884
I'm not sure, some are more modern than others and I don't get to choose, but I think dorm-dorms are more common. a lot of them don't even have AC.

no I mean are there usually actually freezers? or just refrigerators. I'm not sure if we're allowed to bring any appliances
>>
>>2040888
Same Ra-fag, nigga if you can't be arsed to even research your dorm, I'd say don't bother bringing an animal. Nigga I don't know what school you go to. Nigga I ain't your RA.

Nigga, read the housing policy and shit. Read the shit you are going to sign. Nigga for real don't just show up with a snake, fuck up and then a week later be like "oh I hate my asshole RA, he's such a cunt! Why can't I have muh snake!"
>>
>>2040894
you got a point
I haven't actually committed to the school yet because they haven't sent out acceptances, but I know that I'll get in and that I'm going there but yeah I haven't gotten any residential stuff or anything from them yet because of that. it's not on their website, so I guess I'd have to ask someone.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.