[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/ What would be the best way of introducing an 8 week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: puppycat.jpg (18KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
puppycat.jpg
18KB, 400x300px
Hey /an/

What would be the best way of introducing an 8 week puppy to a 12 years old cat ?
I've got a puppy-proof kitchen and a crate.
I was thinking about confining the puppy in the kitchen for the first few days, except when walking him or playing with him of course.
Then maybe let the cat come into the kitchen while the puppy is in his crate, and go from there.

I'm guessing progressively increasing interaction is the way to go, is it ?

Any tip, advice or experience is welcome

Thanks
>>
It depends on the personality of the cat, but I think you're on the right track
We had a similar situation, had to get a kitten to warm up to a six month old black lab pit mix and an old shihzu mix
We just kept him in our laps and let them sniff him at first, then we would lay him with them while they were sleeping and let them walk up to him while he was on the floor
At first he got pissed and stood there or just ran, but after only two months he was laying next to the old one on his own and he plays with both of them enthusiastically
I wish you the best of luck! Cats and dogs being friends is damn adorable
>>
Cats and dogs will never like each other, only tolerate. A cat that old is not even going to like a new cat, let alone a puppy.
>>
>>2038848
>hurr durr muh stereotype
you're an idiot
there's plenty of cats and dogs that like each other look it up
>>
>>2038839
Thanks for replying

Well I would say 2 months is not that long. I really don't know when we'll be able to let them interact without any supervision, or if we ever will, but I'm looking forward to it.
And yup, it would be really awesome if they could end up getting along fine

>>2038848
I always thought my cat was a bit autistic, but about a year ago she brought in a kitten she found in the neighbourhood, and took him to her kibble bowl. We put the kitten outside, and my cat went out and brought him back. The kitten had a a phone number written on his collar so we brought him back, but seeing my cat helping the kitten like that was really surprising, even more so since she's neutered

TLDR : I have good hopes my cat will get over it
>>
>>2038826
Firstly, give the puppy back to the breeder. You made a mistake buying it from whoever you did; they're a BYB and you shouldn't support them in the future. It should stay with the mom for at least two more weeks for socialization, especially if you don't have any other dogs.
>>
>>2041423
oh calm down. 8 weeks is alright for puppies to go home to the new owners. It's the minimum, but it's alright.
>>
>>2041446
I'm saying it's probably a shit breeder and it's not great for the dog especially if you don't already have a dog. Any breeder worth the amount of money a puppy costs would hold them for another two weeks.
>>
>>2041446
It's the bare bones minimum.
It's cutting corners.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.