[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Venomous ants and wasps thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10

Venomous ants and wasps thread
>>
File: tarantula-vs-tarantula-hawk.jpg (58KB, 640x435px) Image search: [Google]
tarantula-vs-tarantula-hawk.jpg
58KB, 640x435px
>>
got stun in the cheek as a kid by a hornet

not fun
>>
>>
File: 3770258569_d13d9a5b9a_b.jpg (225KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
3770258569_d13d9a5b9a_b.jpg
225KB, 1024x768px
Red velvet ants are terrifying
>>
File: L6Se2OM.jpg (166KB, 1024x792px) Image search: [Google]
L6Se2OM.jpg
166KB, 1024x792px
>>2037488
oops wrong pic thats a red paper wasp (equally terrifying)
>>
File: 3819102419_e3231e9312_b.jpg (421KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
3819102419_e3231e9312_b.jpg
421KB, 1024x768px
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: bulletant4.jpg (18KB, 385x369px) Image search: [Google]
bulletant4.jpg
18KB, 385x369px
Bullet ant
>>
File: tumblr_nfxwgjAr6Q1r41nluo1_1280.jpg (152KB, 1031x816px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfxwgjAr6Q1r41nluo1_1280.jpg
152KB, 1031x816px
>>
>>2037479
>size = duration
>5 minutes is not more than twice as large as 2 minutes
This retard doesn't know how to make infographics at all.
>>
>>2037479
Really? I was stung by a velvet ant a few months ago and it didn't feel that bad. It hurt, but not as bad as a regular fire ant to me.
>>
>>2037489
i went south for a scout trip one year and ran into one of those. One of the locals told me they call them "cow-killer ants" because their sting is said to be so painful it can kill animals.

Very exaggerated I imagine, but still a really cool name.
>>
bullet ants aren't too bad.

the natives are just pussies.
>>
>>2037479
When I was a little kid I sat on a yellowjacket nest. It was bad times... At the time I didn't know they'd nest in old holes in the ground.

Lesson fuckin' learned.
>>
>>2037502
Pretty sure the size of the dot reflects the size of the bug, not a scale representation of the duration.
>>
>>2037598
It doesn't, oterwise the giant hornet and tarantula hawk bubbles would massively dwarf everything else.
>>
I got bit by an ant once, when I was on vacation in Australia.

0/10 do not recommend.
>>
Ant-related, I want to make an ant farm or buy one. Any good brands to buy?
>>
>>2037480
Get cucked
>>
I had a soldier leaf cutter ant crawl up my jeans in Belize. As soon as it bit, I threw my pants off so fast. Good thing I was wearing my bikini under cuz there were some random tourists next to me
>>
>>2037814
Google any Canada
>>
>>2037489
I found one as a kid. Only seen them twice in the wild. I touched it because I always picked up bugs and to me it was so cool. I was in so much pain.
>>
>>2037840

I was thinking of starting with a kids ant farm. I've never had ants before and want to start simple.
>>
>>2037502
he's going by area, not diameter.
your thinking is almost painfully primitive.
>>
Isn't this index pretty weak due to it being based on the opinions of a single guy running around being stung by everything.
>>
>>2037915
well it's automatically more robust than the opinions of someone that hasn't been stung by more than one or two of those. I mean, if you haven't actually tried other stings, you've got nothing to compare them to, right? so it really is going to be better than a survey of thousands of people that haven't been stung by most of those animals.

It could perhaps be improved by getting a bunch of people to volunteer to be stung by all of those animals and then rate the experience of each. But presumably their results would be pretty similar to this guys.
>>
>>2037629
Bulldog ant?

When one stung me I ended up smashing it and my ankle with the field tape measure I was holding. Still hurt less than the sting.
>>
I was stung by a Pepsis when 12 because i caught EVERYTHING in my net.

Shit was seriously painful but thankfully they're merciful and would rather just fuck off.
>>
>>2037479
Was stung by a paper wasp on the knee a while back. It hurt to walk for a bit.
>>
>>2037479
The WORST pain without a doubt IS the Mutillidae commonly called the "Cow Killer" in the US Southern States.

I have been stung by most things on the index, including the Bullet Ant (not to mention numerous arachnids and reptiles), and frankly, this is rather dubious.

Frankly, my guess is, "different strokes for different folks" applies here. For Schmidt, he might have had a higher sensitivity to one thing, while I have a higher sensitivity to another.

Also like a lot of Entomologists (and yes, I am one by degree and profession) these days, Schmidt might just be playing the hype-train game since various TV shows has popularized the bullet ant as the worst.
>>
Does anyone have any good documentaries on venomous insects? Preferably with a lot of getting to see their venom at work.
>>
>>2037862
Are you saying the bullet ant's 300 minute circle has 60 times the area of those 5 minuter circles? Is it 150 times the area of those 2 minute ones? 300+ times the size of that 0-1 minute one? Obviously not.

The image even says it isn't to scale but I'm not sure why he bothered with it when it's so off of anything that could be considered accurate.
>>
>wearing a literal glove of bullet ants stinging you
>boys have to do it up to 20 times
>>
>>2037843

>awww lookit the furry little thing
>...OH GOD WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>2037489
If you press down on them they make a little siren noise
>>
>>2037479
>all shitty common names instead of Genus species

who the fuck made that infographic
>>
>>2037862
>your thinking is almost painfully primitive
Except it isn't. That "300" circle has 5-6x larger AREA than the "2 minute" circle, instead of 150x larger.
You are a primitive fucking retard.
>>
More pictures of terrifying insects and their bites/sting?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.