[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought a Pac-Man frog today, how often should I feed it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: frog.png (252KB, 485x374px) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
252KB, 485x374px
Just bought a Pac-Man frog today, how often should I feed it and what should I feed it? The guy at the store said they where feeding it pinkie mice every couple days but I read that you should feed them just mice. I gave it 8 medium crickets today and it ate maybe 5 of them.
>>
Yeah you're gonna wanna feed it crickets for a while until it grows more, because that guy looks really eensey weensey. Just because pacs with shove anything you let them down their throat doesn't mean you should let them. And do not feed it live mice, especially at this age, they will kill it.
>>
>>2037126
feed various insects dusted with calcium. in addition to crickets; butter worms, phoenix worms, dubia roaches (these are better than crickets both for you and the frog), hornworms, silk worms. put those in a wide smooth sided dish so they don't burrow down in to the substrate away from your frog. change water bowl frequently.
>>
Okay just for future reference, never listen to the numbnut employees at any pet stores. 99.9% of the time they're full of shit and don't know squat.

You're going to want to feed it crickets, make sure they're gutloaded first. Google pacman frog care sheets. If you're going to feed it any mice at all, at that size, it should only be thawed pinkie mice, and only once a month, maximum. The rest of the time do crickets, I'd say go with 2-4 per feeding. Every other time you feed it, dust the crickets in vitamin powder and calcium, it's very healthy for them.

On that note, I'd recommend NOT feeding it in its enclosure, young pacman frogs will often swallow substrate, which can kill them. I take mine out of his enclosure and just feed him in a large tupperware container.

Ideally just Google pacman frog care sheets and learn
>>
Also the cage I bough for him came with a lamp, is it alright to use it? The humidity gauge says its around 60% and the temps sitting at around room temperature
>>
>>2037164
Yeah I think the people at petsmart specifically are trained to say dumb shit to make sales or something. Happens everytime i go in there.
>>
>>2037172
Just be careful when you're using a lamp as it can dry out your frog. They like higher humidity, they're a tropical species
>>
File: DSCF2413.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2413.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2037126
I feed mine a rat pinkie a month and everything else from crickets, earth worms, lizards, moths..just about anything that I find in the yard. If it fits in his month he eats it but mine is a few years old.
I never use any heat lamps but the temps stay around 75 degrees in my home.
As far as humidity I use coconut fiber as substrate and keep it very soggy and he loves to bury himself in it to the point where you can only see his eyes.
On the other side of the cage I have a large flat rock for him to get on but he seldom does.
>>
Why the fuck do people buy animals before doing the required research? I see this over and over again on both/an/ and /r/aquarium. What the flying fuck..

>>2037218
You do you but I'm just letting you know you're taking a risk every time you feed it something you've personally found.
>>
>>2037302
I did do research, I'm just asking for peoples opinions on it as well
>>
>>2037164
Crickets aren't really an option for me (not OP just joined) due to roommates. I was thinking of breeding night crawlers and other worms as a staple and feeding meal worms every other week. Basically I'm asking, what are easy to take care of and possibly breed myself, staple foods for a pacman?

Also I hear their poop can be extremely smelly is that true? How often will I need to clean the enclosure?

Thank you!
>>
>>2037302
Have you ever seen what they eat in the wild ?

Anything that they can fit in their mouth.
>>
>>2037126
You should never feed them mice, they're too fat.
>>
>>2037371
Have you ever seen what's inside the organism of wild frogs?

Tons of parasites.
>>
>>2037396
and they seem to do just fine in the wild.
>>2037388
Its fine to feed the mice every once in a while.
Again they eat them in the wild along with snakes and other rodents.
>>
>>2037400
Yeah I'm sure that you have tags on every pac-man frog in the wild.

Animals live longer in captivity. HMM I wonder why?
>>
>>2037449
I'm sure that there is a reason animals live and flourish in the wild with no help from humans.
>>
>>2037471
They don't, they just reproduce a lot.
Wild animals rarely die of old age.
>>
>>2037323
I'd say order some dubia roaches online. They're the healthiest feeders out there and don't make noise and they don't smell.

And yes their poop reeks horribly, but they usually defecate in their water dishes so you can just sump the bowl's contents in the toilet and flush. I have a live plant in my guy's enclosure so the poop cleanup really isn't an issue for me because it fertilizes the plant.

Just don't leave it sit for a long time.

>>2037400
Yeah don't feed them wild caught shit, that's just a big welcome sign to internal parasites. Yeah they eat that kind of shit in the wild, but that's also why they only live half as long in the wild, too. The point of keeping an animal in captivity is to replicate it's natural environment in an ideal manner. Perfect humidity, temperature, food without the parasite risk. People never seem to understand this kind of thing. They always say "well they seem to do fine in the wild", when that's not really the case. Yes they may possibly survive long enough to breed sometimes, but that's not the point of keeping an animal. It shouldn't have to 'survive' under your care, because what's the point? Why not just let it run free around your house? You're supposed to be giving it what it would have in the wild, minus the negative aspects. They should be cared for under your watch, not have to risk dying because "that's what they do in the wild".

tl;dr: OP don't feed wild caught insects or animals of any kind to your pacman frog, buy everything it eats
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.