[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Euthanasia Options

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: DSCN0663.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0663.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
4chan, I'm so sad. My three and a half year old cat is dying from liver failure I can't afford to treat, but I can't afford to have him euthanized, either. I understand the ASPCA offers discounted euthanasia services, but the idea of taking him someplace like that to die just rips out my heart.

You guys, please help me. Is there anything I can do, anything I can give him, to give him a painless and comfortable death? I've been trying to research but the only thing I can find people talking about is Tylenol, which seems like an inhumane and painful death.

Fuck, why is this happening? It hurts so bad, /an/. Benedict is the most wonderful animal I've ever owned, I love him so much. And he's just so young. Fuck, oh Christ.
>>
I'm genuinely sorry you're having to go through this and I know your pain. There's a few options but none will be fun to do.

I'd suggest an escape bag. If that's out of your price range, you can even put him in your car and run a tube from the muffler to the inside.

If you have a gun, you could pull an "Old Yeller", but that could be messy.
>>
I'd find a friend with a gun, if you don't have one yourself.

Not trolling. My father put down many of our pets that way. A painless death in a familiar location is one of the better ways to go.

Have more money before you take on a pet next time.

I'm sorry for your loss, op.
>>
If the liver failure is treatable there is a chance that if you give your cat to a shelter, they will give it the medication it needs then adopt it out to someone who knows and can afford the meds. Where I worked people, especially old people, LOVED adopting cats with medical problems. "They have to take their pills, just like me" or "poor thing, let me give you a good life."

If the only choice is death with you, wouldn't it be better to give your cat a chance, however slim, by bringing it to a shelter
>>
>>2035320
I also think this is a good option.
>>
Hello, OP.
I've never been here on /an/, so this is my first time posting. Please consider that I'm no very good at English.
My cat has something inside her, and doctors don't know exactly what it is. The options are these:
1) Tumor.
2) Her kidney, which has grown very much.
3) Her liver.
In a few hours I have to take her again to the Vet so they can take an ecography.
Man, that thing inside her is very large, and is pretty difficult to heal, whatever the reason is.
I love her, but as you, OP, I don't want her to suffer...
I'm sorry about your cat, and I respect very much your noble choice for him.
>>
Beg your friends and family to help you pay for home euthanasia, maybe offer to clean gutters or do general house/yard work in return, and don't get another cat until you have an emergency fund.
>>
File: DSCN0642.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0642.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
Thank you, everyone, for replying.

>>2035320
That's...I never thought of that. I didn't realize that was an option. The vet was really discouraging about there being any realistic options for treatment, assuming we were even able to go in and see what was wrong with him, and said it was entirely possible that even with treatment, he may still reach a point where euthanasia is our only humane option. I'm afraid that if I give him to the shelter they'll have to put him to sleep, anyway, and he'll die without me there with him, but is that selfish? I really don't know. I'm just not sure what's best. I love him so much and I would be so happy to know he was with someone who could look after him or help him recover, but if there was even a slim chance he was still just going to be put to sleep, I don't know if I could deal with it very well, emotionally. These past few months I've been taking him to the vet to try to figure out what's wrong with him and I've just been a trainwreck, and now he's just so skinny and weak, and his fur is thinning, and jaundice-- I've just been crying and crying for the past week or so. His quality of life just isn't there. Is it really possible he could turn around from this.

It's frustrating. I had money until about six months ago. The timing is just crushing and horrible. I feel so helpless, and I have poor credit, and no one to borrow money from.

>>2035331
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your cat, Anon. I truly hope there's something that can be done. The pain of a sick or dying animal is just utterly unbearable. Even if I was in a financial position to do so, I think it will be a long, long time before I am able to own another animal. Benedict was my first animal as an adult on my own and I've loved him like a son from the first day we met. It's just like a shot through my heart.

Jesus, I wish I could stop crying, hahaha. I've just been crying all day, between the cat and listening to David Bowie's music, I'm in bad shape.
>>
>>2035363
I am in tears after reading this OP, but I think you know what you must do. You could see if the shelter could do something for him, but as you said they might just end up putting him down themselves. It is not such a bad end. He goes to sleep, and the pain ends. It will hurt like hell. I wish you the best.
>>
>>2036851
>It will hurt like hell.
For you I mean, not your cat.
>>
A animal shelter should do it for free - Go ask.
>>
some vets offer at home euthanasia services. do that if you're so against taking your cat so where else to be humanely PTS

don't do it yourself. the likelihood of you fucking up and making your cat suffer more is way too high. don't be selfish about it. would you rather her go to sleep or have her last moments be you doing possibly very painful to her?
>>
Put your cat in the oven with its head hanging out and slam the door.
>>
>>2035313
I was about to second this, but then I remembered the first time I ever shot a cat. They will flip all the fuck around and convulse. I know it was already dead, I shot it right between the eyes, but holy shit, I didn't know at the time. It was very traumatic. I wouldn't want the owner to see the aftermath, either; it bled everywhere all over itself.
>>
>>2038131
Why are you even here if you want to crack jokes at another person's suffering?

>>>/b/
>>
>>2035300
Cats are stupid pets anyway
>>
>>2039724
Fuck off and die.
>>
Genuinely sorry to hear, OP.

Unfortunately safe home euthanasia methods for cats/dogs are nearly non-existent. Chances of things going wrong and your animal suffering even more without expiring are pretty significant. A bullet to the head is the safest way, but with your level of attachment it sounds like that would be very difficult to impossible for you to do and pretty traumatizing.

For what it's worth, I work at a humane society that offers highly discounted euthanasia services to the public and everyone who handles euths there is super compassionate. The "jaded animal shelter staff" stereotype doesn't really apply because we're no-kill and euthanasia truly is a last resort. I would feel comfortable taking one of my pets there to go. He will be scared, but at least he'll get to be with you when he passes and "scared" is much better than what could happen if you tried to kill him yourself and things went wrong.

I am truly sorry for your loss.
>>
>>2035300
Vets do at home euthanasia.

set up a payment plan
>>
>My three and a half year old cat is dying from liver failure

What could have caused that at 3.5 years old?

Unless your cat is literally DYING at this very moment, I bet you he'll get better.

Most vets are completely full of shit and give false diagnoses out like candy. The veterinary industry is mostly a scam (although there are some good vets and I'm not saying they're useless).

My dog (who just died recently) was diagnosed with end stage terminal lung cancer SIX YEARS before he died.

He never had cancer. It was a fucking lie. I paid thousands of dollars to confirm that the first vet's diagnosis was bullshit.

Another vet put down my neighbors dog because he diagnosed her with a "brain tumor". He ran no tests whatsoever and just pulled the diagnosis out of his ass.

Most vets are scam artists.
>>
>>2035363

>These past few months I've been taking him to the vet to try to figure out what's wrong with him and I've just been a trainwreck, and now he's just so skinny and weak, and his fur is thinning, and jaundice-- I've just been crying and crying for the past week or so. His quality of life just isn't there. Is it really possible he could turn around from this.

Have you been going to the same vet over and over?

Maybe the vet's wrong about something. I don't know enough about the situation to say so for 100% sure either way. I'm just throwing ideas at you pretty much; keep that in mind.

To be honest I don't like most vets.

I believe veterinary medicine is one of the jobs most riddled with psychopaths and incompetent peole out of any job out there. But there are really good vets who actually do know their stuff--they're just very, very few and far between.

There's a forum for cats with diabetes called "feline diabetes" forum. I know your cat apparently has liver failure, not diabetes, but there are some really sharp people there (some of them vet techs and maybe even one or two really decent vets) who post, and maybe they could give you good advice.
>>
it is better to take him to a shelter/wherever where they will put him to sleep painlessly than to prolong his suffering for what could be weeks
>>
>>2035300
Clean water
Organic food
Heartfelt prayer

Leave the rest to the Gods. And when I say clean water I mean clean fucking water. Filtered through activated charcoal. You can make your own filter with two 2 gallon buckets. Very simple very cheap.

Let nature regenerate your sick friend.
>>
>>2040385
>>2040388
I thought this way too until I actually started working with vets, you have absolutely no fucking idea how hard it is to diagnose animals

>brain tumor
the only possible way to have "proof" like you'd want is a dog MRI costing thousands, which most people don't even have the option of doing since they live so far away from one
>>
I have a large bucket that I used to make wine in. I put the animal inside and snap the lid on, pressing down on it so as much air as possible escapes. It makes things dead.
>>
File: Sauerkraut-1.jpg (47KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
Sauerkraut-1.jpg
47KB, 640x960px
>>2040561
>>
put it in a chest freezer
>>
A gun.
>>
>>2035300
It's only a cat, just exit bag that shit.
I have about four right now that I love, but when they start having real issues at about 14-15 years (shit leaking etc that vets can't treat for any reasonable price range) I just say good bye and move onto the next one.
It's an animal for Christ sake, grow up.
>>
Buy a dog next time OP
>>
>>2035313
>Getting shot painless
I have seen my uncle shoot many stray dog chasing livestock. The majority of the time the dogs, even the little ones survive the shot and die many minutes later even up to half an hour. I have seen dogs survive getting shot in the head.
Do not shot your pets, it is usually always painful.

OP I know you are hurting but stop being a fag, your cat does not care where it dies, it is in pain. Put the poor cat out of it's misery in the least painful way.
It hurts, it sucks and it is completely unfair but that is life, it is the heartache of owning a pet that will most likely be only alive for a small fraction of your life.

It is your duty as it's owner to do the right thing.
>>
>>2035300
Home pet euthanasia is getting fairly common, it ain't cheap but it's cheaper than treatment that will just drag things out & make it miserable for both you and your cat. I did it last year & it made things a LOT easier.

Good luck to you.
>>
>>2041551
Suck a dick next time.
>>
>>2041563
>I have seen dogs survive getting shot in the head.
>Do not shot your pets, it is usually always painful.

Based on anecdotal evidence.

If an animal survives a shot to the head it is simply because the brain was not hit.

I can guarantee that a point-blank shot to the brain is instantly lethal, even with a smaller caliber. Any competent shooter should be able to do this to a tame animal.

If your uncle allows animals to live for half an hour after he has shot them, he is a pretty terrible shot. Country Australia showed me many dozens of animals shot, and the vast majority died within seconds.
>>
>>2041578
It would be with a shotgun from a long range I suppose.
>>
>>2041581
Yeah, I was thinking that.

It'll kill shit, to be sure. I've seen that too. But it's a pretty unreliable way if you want it fast and painless, haha.

A shotgun up close would be very quick... but very messy for poor op.
>>
>>2041583
I've seen shotgun up close too, it is not nice and over kill for a cat. People really need to keep their dogs fenced up, my uncle despises stray dogs who shoots many a year and still loses sheep to them.

He shot an over weight German shepherd a year or two ago. Had to move him with a tractor, the owner flipped his shit and made lots of threats.
>>
>>2041585
>People really need to keep their dogs fenced up.

Yeah, very true. I really feel for your uncle, that's just a massive waste of his time and stressful to deal with stupid neighbors. Let alone the lost sheep.

My brother's retarded beagle would escape sometimes, and mum and dad always warned him there was a serious risk of him being shot. Luckily the beagle was very benign and our neighbors were chill and ran cattle instead of sheep.

Outdoor cats and feral cats were killed without any distinction being made between the two. Country Australia is brutal sometimes, but honestly I like their attitude to cats and the damage they cause to our environment. And I really like the cats I know.
>>
>>2041587
I don't know why people don't give a shit, growing up in a farming background it was drilled into to me to keep your dog fenced up or trained to stay in your land but even then fenced them up too. If I went into my garden and my dogs were not there I would have a fit of panic.
Especially here in Ireland, you will get crucified if your dog kills sheep. You will have to pay for all livestock killed even if your dog killed one, damages too and a ton of other shit.
Another thing drilled into my head is if the police or a farmer appear at your door asking do you own this dog, you say no.

All my dogs are fenced in, trained not leave and are very familiar with cows, sheep, donkeys and horses. I still worry.

As for cats, cats are usually left alone though my brother told me before I was born my mother committed cat genocide, apparently we had a shit ton of strays hanging about so she give them all but one Valium.
Next morning she was feeding two cats, the one she wanted to keep and a very woozy and high cat that survived.
>>
>>2041583
A .22lr handgun to the brainstem would be clean.

A better option would be a small exit bag. Painless and quick.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.