[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a branch to take root

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 20140707_113158.jpg (144KB, 800x730px) Image search: [Google]
20140707_113158.jpg
144KB, 800x730px
Don't know if it's the right place (there's no gardening board), but maybe some /an/on has greener thumbs than I.

I was given a very large branch of a lovely jasmine shrub from a relative, and I've placed short sections of it (~25cm) in water, hoping they'd send out roots from between the segments so I can later plant them in soil; but (while still alive and green) they don't take out roots, as other segmented plants have for me.

I've very little experience, is there a way to encourage it to grow, like adding certain nutrients to the water? Or is this method not even feasible with jasmine? It worked for me with others.
>>
They sell root hormones. You dip a cut end into the powder and then let it sit in water or something.

I don't know.
>>
>>2034049
Usually you're supposed to take cuttings in the spring or summer when the plant is actively growing. Sticking the cuttings in as well draining potting mix and keeping it moist is usually enough to get it rooted.

There's a gardening thread on /out/ that may be able to help you more than /an/.
>>
>>2034072
>you're supposed to take cuttings in the spring or summer
It was given to me, and I wouldn't have had the opportunity to take it later this year unfortunately.
>>
>>2034049
I've not rooted a Jasmine ;) but some plants can take root in just water and others need other methods of propagation.

The usual method I take is get some potting mix, put it in a plastic pot, dip my cutting in rooting hormone after taking a fresh clean diagonal cut below a node. I remove most of the leaves and all of the flowers so the plant doesn't respire and dehydrate and wilt or put all of its effort in to the flower. I place the cutting in to the pot and potting mix and keep it moist, not soaking wet. I don't have it in a tray, I put each cutting inside a supermarket shopping bag and tie a loose knot at the top. This creates a humid environment and means the plant doesn't ever dry out and doesn't get too soaking wet ever. After about a month or so in a cool, well lit but out of sunlight area, it should take root
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.