[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/ I'm going to the shelter tomorrow and I might end

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Hey /an/
I'm going to the shelter tomorrow and I might end up bring home a cat if we find one the family agrees on.

Two questions I can't find answers too.

Is there a way to influence a kittens personality as it gets older? My fiance really wants a cuddly cat since his cat was put down a few months ago. Our current cat loves being around people but hates being held. He loved being held as a kitten but became more and more distant as he grew up (which was the opposite of the cat that was put down, who was a feral kitten who grew into a cat that always needed to be on your lap)

And is there a way to prevent a cat from becoming overly vocal? The cats I grew up with never made a sound except when they were hungry. Our current cat meows nonstop all day and night. I'd rather the new cat not fall into that habit.
>>
>>2031846
Why not get an adult cat? Kittens are cute but a pain in the ass, and you won't know what its personality will be like when it grows up. Generally just try to pick the most out going, friendly kitten, and play and socialize with it as much as possible if you want it to be friendly and comfortable around people. Like with your current cat though, there's no way to tell how it ill grow up to be. Kittens are a gamble like human children, sometimes even with the best parenting they grow up to be dicks. Best to check out grown cats that are allready fully mentally developed, so you know reasonably well what you're getting. Tell staff what it is you're looking for in a pet and they'll do your best to match you with an animal that best fits what you're looking for.
>>
>>2031846
You can't be sure with a kitten, not for (some people say) up to 2 years, although in my experience just one year has been enough.

Spend time with the adult cats instead. You'll have a much better idea of their temperament, and you can easily ask the people at the shelter about how vocal they are.

And I will say, cuddly cats just tend to be noisier in my opinion. My buddy has to nap with me all the time, he loves lap time and cuddling when I just wake up in the morning, but he's one whiny mother fucker. I love this little asshole to pieces, but he definitely has a lot to say.
>>
>>2031891
>>2031982
Thanks guys.
Just got back from the shelter. There weren't very many cats there, surprisingly. There was one cat we liked but it can't be housed with other cats so we didn't get it.

I suppose we'll go back next week and see if any new cats are up for adoption.
>>
>>2032383
Check out youtube and "cats 101". It goes through every breed and tells you their general traits, level of care necessary, etc. You might find a breed that suits you more than another.
>>
>>2032429
Irrelevant since he's not going to a breeder and spending hundreds of dollars on a purebred cat.
>>
>>2032433
Because there's no purebred cats at shelters or cats whose mix is known.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.