[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My puppy wakes at 5 am every moving and barks up a storm until

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: cute_labrador_retriever-puppy.jpg (47KB, 450x573px) Image search: [Google]
cute_labrador_retriever-puppy.jpg
47KB, 450x573px
My puppy wakes at 5 am every moving and barks up a storm until he is let out of the crate.

I tried ignoring him, but he will go on for more than 45 minutes (that's when I break down and let him out).

I take him outside to potty, and he does pee, but it doesn't seem like it was urgent.

What do I do to make him wake later and also not bark like crazy to get out? He's a 12 week old Labrador by the way.
>>
>Labrador

You fucked up
>>
>>2029053
Throw something at the crate. Yell at him. If he doesn't shut up, open crate door, force him into a corner and stand over him and dominate him. If he still won't shut up, bite his ear as hard as you need to.
>>
>>2029055
make sure you're down on all fours while doing any of these so you're at eye level with him, he'll know you mean business that way
>>
How often are you taking him out? Puppies usually have to go out once or twice in the middle of the night. I believe the general rule is that they can hold it about one hour for every month old they are. In your case, this would be about 3 hours. Every puppy is different, and this may depend upon the breed (small dog vs large dog). Your puppy is about they age where they can control themselves better, but they still don't have an iron bladder. If you're going to bed at, say around 10 pm, it would make sense that around four or five in the morning, he's wanting to go out. Dogs don't like messing in their crates.

If you believe that the issues isn't in him being able to hold it, and that it's strictly behavioral, then there are a few different things you can try. Where is the crate located in the house? Can it be moved to a further room, where you can't hear him? What kind of crate is it - wire, or solid plastic? If it's wire, perhaps try placing a blanket over top of the crate to make it feel more enclosed, and safer? This sometimes comforts puppies. Do you have any old tshirts you can wear and then place in the crate with him? Your scent can be comforting as well. Making him feel more at ease within the crate may help him calm down and not want to get out ASAP as he acclimates to being crate trained.

When we got our poodle pup, he would scream pretty bad in his crate, even with gentle guidance and plenty of positive reinforcement. What worked for us was buying a heartbeat toy. They make them for babies, but they work for puppies as well. Basically, they're little stuffed animals with a small device that will play heartbeat sounds. It's comforting to the pup, makes them feel like they're curled up with mom and the litter again.
>>
>>2029070
all this, especially the beginning.

my dog started sleeping through the night at about four months. when I first got him, I specifically set an alarm to get up 3-4 hours after his last pee.

this is what you have to deal with when you've got a puppy. he'll start sleeping all the way through the night soon, but honestly he's doing quite well if he's going to bed at a normal time and lasting until 5am
>>
>>2029058
And if you can piss on him while growling, all the better.
Don't do the growling part if you can't do a convincing dog growl.
>>
>>2029070
I put him to bed around 1 am right after taking him out for potty.

Then he wakes up around 5 am and barks.
>>
1mg melatonin

Our 12 week old husky puppy gets one around 10 pm and she'll sleep 8-10 hours no problem
Carry her from her crate to her potty place outside and she will pee everytime and is getting better about pooping inside.
>>
>>2030018
I don't like the idea of drugging a puppy.
>>
>>2029053
get a fucking anti-bark collar

>inb4 some hippie shit
>>
>>2030580
It's a puppy you moron, he's barking because he physically can't hold it in any longer. Would you like to be locked in a cage with duct tape over your mouth and no means of communicating when you need to pee or eat?
>>
>>2030580
>people on this board actually use shock and anti bark collars
i thought this was a board for people that like animals
>>
>>2030589
many of them are dirty hippies who think it's perfectly okay for a dog to bark all fucking day for no reason
Liking animals does not mean you have to be an irrational fuckwit.
>>
>>2030591
>not wanting to create collar handling sensitivities and aggression because of it is being a hippie

no wonder white trash are always the ones who have dogs with issues
>>
>>2030591
>either you have a bark/shock collar or you have a dog that barks all day long, no other alternatives

I have trouble believing someone is this dumb
>>
>I tried ignoring him, but he will go on for more than 45 minutes (that's when I break down and let him out).
And that's where you went wrong. You essentially just taught him that if he barks for 45 minutes, you WILL let him out. And now it will be even harder because he will test the threshold if you wait longer.

But you NEED to out-wait him. You need to not break down and give in. Only let him out when he's quiet, or he will keep doing it. Simple as that.
>>
>>2030680
pretty much. I never used anything like that on my husky/staffie, and the only time he barks aside from playing is if he hears/sees something strange on our property, but he will also stop and settle if I tell him "it's okay"

honestly dogs that do that shit are usually just puppies or bored adult dogs who don't get enough attention or exercise so they bark brvshse they're bored as fuck. if you take proper care of your dog otherwise, it's hardly ever an issue
>>
>>2030681
It's pretty challenging to wait him out at 3 o'clock in the morning.

And, once he's been up for that long, it's time for him to actually go potty.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.