[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would someone pick vet school when he can pick medicine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 8

File: young kitten.jpg (13KB, 236x329px) Image search: [Google]
young kitten.jpg
13KB, 236x329px
I see it as being pointless and a waste of the person's GPA.
>Being a vet has a lower status and income
>The number of years of studying in grad school is the same though
>Job security is somewhat lower than being a doctor
>You memorise the same shit about anatomy so it's not like vet school is easier
>Both are just as stressful as you need to perform operations and that is gruesome
>Vet school may as well be harder as you need to deal with so many species of animals
>>
OP, get this,

People have different interests. Maybe some people have a passion for working with animals and not humans.
>>
>>2028692
It's just the same though. You memorise the same kinds of shit about lungs, intestines, etc.
And geez, working with animals is worse than humans. At least a human being won't try to bite your arm?
>>
>>2028694
So get this - the anatomy of a domestic animal is different from a human. Crazy right?
>>
>>2028699
Yeah they are different, but not THAT different.
And geez, the amount of shit you need to memorise is the same.
>>
>>2028694
>At least a human being won't try to bite your arm?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
>>
>>2028703
This is true
>>
>>2028694

You've never actually owned a pet before have you?

Surgery is the same, which is what you're talking about, but everything else is completely different.

Also Vets love animals, not everyone is in it for maximising the amount of money.
>>
>>2028706
I own animals and I still think picking vet school instead of med school is a waste.
Nah, everything else is the same. You need to deal with patients (be it animals or humans), diagnose their illnesses, etc etc
>>
>>2028689
Here's the thing OP
Not everyone does their profession solely for money, crazy I know
>>
>>2028710
Vet school is basically the same as med school. Given that all things are equal, why not pick one which pays more?
>>
>>2028722
You're talking only about school. What about the actual work you'll be doing for decades after that?

As someone who has worked costumer service for 2 years now, I can tell you that I absolutely dislike most humans, and I don't want to treat them, spend my day listening to rude old people telling me about their poops or whatever, and just generally work a job that centers around people.
Animals on the other hand, I love and care about much more. Working with them actually brings me satisfaction. So It's obvious to me that one would want to spend a huge part of their lives with things they actually like.
>>
>>2028759
BUT ANON MONEY.
>>
>>2028694
>working with animals is worse than humans
Nah, humans suck.
>>
>>2028792
Yes.
The only good thing with humans is that you can ask "where and how does it hurt?", but even then, it's not always reliable.
>>
>>2028765
Found the NEET that has never worked a day in his life.
>>
>>2028689
As someone who has done work in both fields, I'd be a aquatics vet if I could. Mostly working with koi and people that genuinely want the fish to stay healthy.

On the human side of the medical field, I just ended up building up a massive amount of paranoia around people. Yes, humans bite. They are massively unpredictable. Even when they leave reasonably satisfied and healthy, they might return the next day in a torrent of fury. There is not enough hazard pay in the world to ever make me work directly with people again. The sweet moments and successes just can't make up for sorrow or fear.

Wild animals? Not so bad in comparison. They are predictably unpredictable. It is safer. You can use restraints with noone ever batting an eye. The people you have to interact with generally trust your judgement.

Domestic animals? SO MANY SHITTY OWNERS. At least the farmers are practical about the way an animal gets treated. Pet owners are just insane and animal welfare takes a sideline to kissing ass. Plus anesthesia is WAY riskier in smaller critters. That line between awake and dead is so narrow and different every surgery.
>>
>>2028820
You have two degrees?
>>
>>2028802
I was parroting the op, m8.
>>
>>2028694
there's no way you're a medical professional
>>
>>2028694
My Ma has been a CHILDRENS nurse for 30 years and has gotten worse than bitten. She tells me stories about nut job patients in the adult wards all the time.

Some tard child grabbed her and pulled, she had to get a hysterectomy because he pretty much ripped her womb out of place.
My uncle is also a pych nurse, one of the more calmer patients snuck up on him in the dark and started to strangle him, he would be dead if a handler did not walk in on it.

I'd take dogs and cats over humans any day.
>>
>>2028907
>>2028959
Leaving aggressive people aside, at least being a doctor pays better.
>>
this fag spams the same bullshit on /adv/. probably came here when he got mad everyone kept giving him the same answers he didn't want and calling him a highschool sperg when he just resorted to "hurr but that's stupid and I'm right your interests don't matter". or he got banned for spam

fuck off m8, you won't find the answers you're digging for here either
>>
>>2029403
>Leaving aggressive people aside
>implying this isn't a majority of the type you'd deal with
come back when you graduate anon
>>
>>2029415
Nah, I really want an answer and none of the answers I got are satisfactory.
>>2029416
Most people are not aggressive, geez. At least they know how to respect a doctor.
>>
>>2029419
>Nah, I really want an answer and none of the answers I got are satisfactory.
yeah, that's exactly my point. you're looking for an extremely specific answer that no one else agrees with, and you can't accept that this is a subjective topic anyway bevshse, as I stated earlier, you're a fucking sperg that has nothing better to do than spam this thread on multiple boards

>Most people are not aggressive, geez. At least they know how to respect a doctor
>they know how to respect a doctor
you're so fucking naive
>>
I work in clinical trials with humans and some of the patients are fucking ridiculous. I can't imagine what hospitals/mental wards are like. I don't think animals can be the kind of awful that humans are capable of. All things in consideration if you were to be a vet rather than a doctor, even though the schooling are both generally shit, it's still one of the best paying jobs you can get if you're dead-set on working with animals.
>>
>>>/adv/16636871

kek
>>
>>2029423
What if you all are trolling me?
>>2029426
So what? At least they are not capable of shreddibg your arm apart with their teeth.
Even my parents woukd agree that going to vet school when you could have gone to med school is stupid and retarded.
>>
>>2029431
>What if you all are trolling me?
>Even my parents woukd agree
confirmed for underage
>>
>>2029431
Actually they are but I'll humor you. Some people really just don't want to deal with people (think customer service... in medicine this is called "bedside manner") and/or the legal issues that are imminent when it comes to dealing with human lives.
>>
>>2029432
I am not underage. Even my parents would agree with my viewpoints.
>>
>>2029435
then the way you act is even more embarrassing
>>
>>2029437
Why though? I am pointing out the truth. These people can just keep animals as their hobbies - maybe get a cat or two.
>>
>>2029446
>am pointing out the truth
>thinking you know the "truth" to a subjective question
like I said, embarrassing as fuck

grow up a few years and come back after you can control your sperg tendencies
>>
File: tapir love.jpg (426KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
tapir love.jpg
426KB, 1024x683px
>>2028694
as someone who has worked with animals in a professional environment, i definitely prefer animals. humans are what drove me out of the field.

but seriously, how do you not understand the concept of doing what you're passionate about

you're not going to be satisfied by any answers because you can't comprehend people not min-maxing their career

>>2029446
>These people can just keep animals as their hobbies - maybe get a cat or two.
keeping a cat or two would never, ever, ever even remotely compare to the shit i got to do, see, and experience as a zookeeper. the job was incredible, and our zoo vets got to do even cooler shit than i did.

but if you can't see outside of your own views you will simply not understand why it's rewarding and fulfilling for the people who do it

bottom line
>>
>>2029455
he's shitposted all over numerous boards. literally saying that you should go into a career that you hate and don't enjoy just because it pays more and that pursuing your passions is "stupid"

dude is maximum level autist that can't comprehend people not valuing the same things he does in the same way
>>
Pharm tech here and as someone who probably has the least amount of interaction with patients aside from coding, I can tell you I wish I would have gotten into vet tech training. I doubt I would ever have a collie try to choke me because I wouldn't fill his fake codeine script.
>>
>>2029458
I can understand why people value their passions, but all jobs suck? You will be burned over time.
>>
>>2029458
that's a shame, an old friend of mine was like that. his parents basically taught him that if he wasn't immediately succeeding and making money, he was worthless. it caused a lot of self esteem issues. breaks my heart really, he was aware he had a problem but he could never go easy on himself. he also almost completely lacked empathy. feels bad, man.

i genuinely pity this anon
>>
>>2029455
A lot of animals are shitty. Just look at this thread about an insane barking dog
>>2029417
The animals which bite and claw people are even worse.
>>
>>2029462
What happened to him? Did he go to med school?
>>
>>2029463
animals are a totally different kind of shitty. the people i worked with that made me drop zookeeping were malicious, ignorant, lazy, bitter... i have met lazy animals but they were never out to fuck me over, they never disappointed me by completely ditching all their responsibilities, never embarrassed me by acting immature or irresponsible in critical situations

apples and oranges, in a big way
>>
>>2029461
you seem to fundamentally misunderstand that doing something you love is what makes people want to keep going in that line of work, regardless of the parts that "suck"

>>2029462
that's really sad. although, I'm pretty sure this anon is just a highschool kid who hasn't started getting into career oriented work so he has no idea what it's like to try and actually choose what you will do in your life and factor in more than the pay. or just a major autist

>>2029463
it's your opinion that what they do is worse than people. but you don't seem to understand the concept of opinions either
>>
>>2029464
no, he's spinning his wheels doing something he doesn't like and getting walked on because instant gratification success or bust. he's making good money and he has good job security but he's not happy.
>>
File: 1319154509538.jpg (47KB, 360x540px) Image search: [Google]
1319154509538.jpg
47KB, 360x540px
>>2028689
I agree with OP, even though I know he's trolling. Because majority of vets have to work with people all day. A lot of the veterinary work is actually dealing with owners, many of which are terrible.

Seriously, your gonna gain a genuine hatred for humanity dealing with either field, might as well get paid more while you slowly go numb and bitter due to terrible situations and compassion fatigue.
>>
>>2029470
i've met a couple of kids in college who are like what you describe. i get it, they're young, you gotta go through these experiences and learn this shit for yourself.

but being an internet nuisance in the process
gosh

the whole "my parents would agree with me thing" is what's most worrisome about it honestly
>>
>>2029473
that's why you avoid small animal practices and go for agricultural, exotics, wildlife, zoo..
>>
>>2029473
See? Someone agrees with me!
>>
>>2029474
>the whole "my parents would agree with me thing" is what's most worrisome about it honestly
Why though? My parents are right.
>>
>>2029475
I mean I agree with you on avoiding small animal and all (such a cancerous field, just wow), but the only one of these I see not having a big horrible human factor is wildlife. And those jobs aren't overly abundant.

The others will eventually pile on the things I mentioned. Unless you're the aquatics vet that >>2028820 mentioned. That shit sounds cash.
>>
>>2029472
What is his job?
>>
>>2029474
I was all set for vet school. had the GPA, scholarships, recommendations, experience, everything

then I realized that after actually working with vets and vet techs, I didn't want to be a vet and would be much happier as a CVT, because at that point the only reason I still considered being a vet was money. but I decided fuck it, dropped out, and stated going to a different school studying to be a vet tech. couldn't be happier and so glad I made the decision before I got invested in vet school

>tfw want to work in shelter welfare
>pretty much the lowest paying positions you can get as a CVT
>still want to do it
op is probably having an aneurism right now
>>
>>2029484
This is bait
>>
>>2029485
not everything you don't agree with is bait

but I should clarify, the vet school would have not been on scholarship, but my prerequisite education was
>>
>>2029481
zoo vet = no public interaction, agricultural = totally different mindset, and while exotics would still be stressful you'd be dealing with fewer run of the mill badly behaved dogs and cats. you're absolutely still going to deal with shit owners -- NO question -- but for me, the most intolerable people are the dog and cat owners. so i guess that comes down to opinion.

>>2029483
fuck if i even know anymore, we have fallen out of contact for the most part. all i know is that it's something to do with IT (but nothing to do with customer service).

>>2029484
i absolutely respect that. zookeeping didn't pay but it was (and probably will be) some of the coolest shit i have ever done. when things were good, i was so happy. worked in wildlife rehab before that and it was also incredible. unfortunately, my management went down the tubes and i couldn't stand it anymore, so i'm out of the game. they lost several employees, and will lose a few more. it was not pretty.

working with our vet techs was always such a pleasure. i respect the hell out of them. really good stuff.
>>
>>2029487
Why did you switch then? Too hard for you?
>>
>>2029490
A lot of Philosophy fags ended up working at starbucks and that is worse.
>>
>>2029490
any type of wildlife specifically? I had a friend who works in a big cat sanctuary and said they would be able help get me get a job there. it was tempting as hell, but in the end I knew how much I'd miss working at the shelter, despite certain unsavory things about the job. it's what makes me happy. are you in an animal related field now?
>>
>>2029491
>Why did you switch then?
I already said. the only motivation I had for staying and investing all that time into school would be making more money, which isn't nearly appealing enough to me considering I was more interested in the work the CVTs do in a shelter setting

>Too hard
I had a 3.8 GPA, that wasn't really a concern

this may be too beyond your own way of thinking to understand, but money isn't the only motivator in life. shocking, I know. now grow the fuck up and stop being high and mighty about how people "should" live their lives and mind your own fucking business and accept not everyone thinks the way you do
>>
>>2029484
Man I hope you're living in a state where vet tech are required to be certified.
>>
>>2029496
I do, I live in Oregon
>>
>>2029495
Really vets and CVTs do similar shit.
>>
>>2028689
You again? Mother fucker, get of 4chan and stop spamming your copy pasted crap on every board.

Reported for spam. Can't fucking wait till your faggot ass goes back to school.
>>
>>2029513
>stop spamming your copy pasted crap on every board
They are all different?
>>
>>2028689
This again? Stop posting this thread.
>>
>>2029505
which is even more of a reason I didn't want to waste so much time and money in school if what I was learning really wasn't worth it. considering I'll be happy as a CVT and can easily further specialize in fields like nutrition it behavior if I choose to in the future is something I like
>>
>replies to everything with but the money, they bite you, it's stupid and retarded

Are you a native english speaker? You seem to have a very limited vocabulary
>>
>>2028689
>Vet school may as well be harder as you need to deal with so many species of animals

Except not really. They basically only deal with mammals.
>>
File: Insert Disk.jpg (30KB, 599x417px) Image search: [Google]
Insert Disk.jpg
30KB, 599x417px
Think of what it's like to deal with landwhales, tinfoil hats, and people who generally just don't give a shit. People are animals. It's like trying to explain to the animal why they're fucked up and expecting it to understand. It won't. It doesn't have the capacity to. People can barely understand how to work their goddamn phones and computers let alone take care of their own fucking bodies.

I could understand perfectly why someone would choose vet over human. I fucking hate most people. It's incredible the kind of advances we've made in technology with how fucking stupid people are.
>>
>>2028708
are you getting your info from Grey's Anatomy or something OP?
>>
>>2029802
Can you become a CVT with no university education? You wasted all your years at uni.
>>2029824
I'm just highlighting my main arguments that you all are ignoring. Both jobs have their own shitty aspects, so why not find a job which pays better?
>>2029875
So what? Doctors only have to deal with humans and vets have to deal with dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.
>>2029892
These people are the minority. Plus they will know how to respect a doctor.
>>2029959
No, it's all common sense.
>>
>>2030076
>they will know how to respect a doctor
You poor naive fool.
>>
>>2030087
Doctors are the most respected people in society.
>>
>>2030146
you've so obviously never asked a doctor for patient horror stories
>>
>>2030180
All I know is that a lot of people (i.e. almost everybody) respect doctors.
>>
>>2030223
I don't really.
I mean these are people that deal with the most disgusting human bodily fluids, smells, and sights.

Like the school janitor, only with way more puke, pus and shit. Sure, they get paid pretty well, but not nearly as nicely as a person might expect.

I respect welders. Those guys make as much as doctors in a lot of places and they don't have to look at nearly as much blood and puke.
>>
>>2030235
This is bait
And you must be talking about nurses.
Vets deal with puke, pus, and shit as well.
>>
>>2030076
>These people are the minority. Plus they will know how to respect a doctor.

I really wish that was the case, but it's not. I can't say it's not justified. Doctors are human and they make mistakes, so it's natural for people to not trust them fully. Sometimes people take that distrust to a whole other level.
>>
>>2030076
>Can you become a CVT with no university education?
depends where you live. in my state you have to have the schooling and certification. and because of this you make more money than in states where you don't have to be certified, since all you seem to care about is money

>almost everyone respects doctors
like I said, you're a highschool idiot or at least have the life experience of one
>>
>>2030076
>So what?
just pointing out your shitty argument

also:
>taking small mammals to the vet like they don't have a life expectency of about 5 years
>my sides
>>
>>2030076
>. Both jobs have their own shitty aspects, so why not find a job which pays better?
because they enjoy the job more that doesn't pay as well

no one is "ignoring" your argument, if anything you're ignoring all the responses you've gotten because they aren't saying what you want
>>
>>2028689
>>2028689
It's actually harder to become a veterinarian than a doctor
>>
As a college student in a family full of professors for various careers, I'd honesty rather commit sudoku than be a doctor for humans. I'm studying to be a herpetologist/entomologist (I'm from South America but in school in the US) because I worked as a certified interpreter at regional hospitals and both patients and doctors made me want to kill myself.
>>
>>2030670
My horror story that pushed me out of the medical field was the time a maternity ward called the cops on me. This incompetent hospital I worked at as a PRN interpreter (hired through a independent interpreting company) never made me my own security badge. I asked, multiple times. Each time they just told me to use the PRN badge.

Well, one day the PRN badge disappeared and I was being paged desperately to the maternity ward. Needing a badge, the head interpreter of the hospital itself, not my company, tells me to just use her co-workers.

I worked two hours at the maternity ward just fine and dandy until a nurse with a case of Importance notices I look nothing like the person in the badge and chooses to just call the fucking cops on me. It turned into a huge kerfuffle and while the stupid nurse rectified her mistake, the hospital NEVER apologized for their fuck up and I was NEVER compensated for the hours I had to spent at the police station.

After that day, I decided I was done with powertripping nurses and incompetent hospitals were bureaucracy and nepotism were more important than skill (you think it's easy to be qualified to interpret/translate in two languages, much less scientific and medical terms?)

Fuck the medical field. I'd rather go breed moths for the rest of my days.
>>
File: 1320190461423.jpg (15KB, 261x323px) Image search: [Google]
1320190461423.jpg
15KB, 261x323px
>>2028689

>Both are just as stressful as you need to perform operations and that is gruesome
>>Both are just as stressful

So you're telling me it's going to be just as stressfull to have a quad bypass humanoid die under your scalpel as a german shephard with pneumonia whose lungs you didn't pump right?
>>
>>2028689
Some people find it more rewarding to treat a pet, who will generally be unconditionally grateful for your treatment (or at least it is easy to project those feelings onto it). It's much harder to get that kind of reward from a human. Sometimes the feeling that you made a difference is enough for people.

My anatomy teacher in college used to tell us how veterarians were better than doctors for the same job, too, since they had to learn 4x as much stuff. So if you don't think vets enjoy some social prestige perhaps you live in a shitty area
>>
>>2030381
Vets make mistakes too?
>>2030415
Yeah, and some people disrespect vets too.
>>2030668
So why not just become a human doctor?
>>2030671
That was just your experience. Some vets also have it pretty rough.
>>2030717
These people who pick vet schools can just learn to love their jobs. They are just being picky. Being a vet is stressful and their jobs will sap away their passion for animals over time.
>>
>>2030719
No, actually, incompetence and bureacratic nonsense is the norm in (American) healthcare.

And I'm not saying vets don't have it rough either, considering I want to be one.
>>
>>2030740
Since vets also have it rough, why don't you just become a doctor? I mean, the pay, stability, and status is better. Even if you like animals, you will lose interest in your job over time.
>>
>>2030180
Now I want to know these stories.
>>
>>2030747
Docs have insane insurance (yes, they have to insure their business!), higher overhead, less freedom, longer hours, and they have to deal with pressure from pharmaceutical companies trying to buy their favor. It's exhausting emotionally and physically. Vets don't get paid as much, but they don't deal with as much crap as doctors do. Also some people just really love animals and would rather make a dog get better than deal with a screaming toddler.
>>
>>2030719
>Vets make mistakes too?
I was treating Doctors as a both human doctors and animal doctors. I should've made that more clear, sorry.
>>
>>2030719
why are you trying to argue something as subjective and personal as what people choose to do for the rest of their life? are you such a self important asshole that you think anyone on the planet should even give a shit what you think they should do? because, in case you haven't figured it out, they couldn't give less of a shit about what some kid who plays pretend on 4chan thinks

some people will choose jobs based on what they like, some will do it based on money, some will do it because it's easy. that how life works. no one fucking cares what you think they should do, so stop trying to fucking "trick" people into agreeing with your selfish mindset that everyone has to make life decisions the way you think you will when you're old enough

go do whatever the hell you want, but don't expect anyone to choose a certain career because you think they should, because you couldn't be less important in the situation
>>
>>2030780
Doctors do not have longer hours. Trust me. I thought I wanted to be a vet until I worked for one and became friends with her after I went to university. Her life was the practice and nothing else. It made me not want to do it.

They also don't have to pour all the money they make back into the clinic or to pay for employees.

>Don't deal with crap
They deal with the same shit as doctors with their clients. Also their patients can be insane from said clients.

I've had clients argue over being charged double for anesthesia because we had to use literally twice as much meds because the dog was a 215lb mastiff. I've had clients fake pet illness so they can get controlled substances. I've had clients ask why they have to pay for labwork, or why they need it to get a new prescription [when labwork is vital because of possible common side effects].

Also the client always knows better, and then they complain when their animal doesn't get better, and you figure out they didn't complete the antibiotic.

That is why I prefer having two jobs, one of them being a CVT. I make enough money doing that and my other work to live comfortably, and don't really want the debt and responsibility of being a doctor or veterinarian. I like assisting in saving a life or treating an animal, but I also like being exempt from sole responsibility if something goes wrong that is out of my control.
>>
>>2030719
>These people who pick vet schools can just learn to love their jobs. They are just being picky. Being a vet is stressful and their jobs will sap away their passion for animals over time.

This sentence is the perfect example of how you are continuously invalidating your argument throughout the thread.
>can just learn to love their jobs
Nope. That's not how people work. It just isn't. You can attempt to apply your logic to it, citing money, working conditions, patients, whatever you want.

It is not how people function.

Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean it's not true.

You have also made two very contradictory statements. If someone can modify their own feelings enough to learn to love a job they don't want to do, why can't they modify their feelings to not burn out on animal care while being a vet?

You're also showing that you're not listening to any of the arguments in this thread that conflict with your views. I've worked in stressful situations with animals and it never sapped my passion for working with them -- it only made me angrier with people, because THAT'S where the issues arise. The animals don't do anything to make you hate the job. Animals are creatures acting on instinct and can't be held responsible for their actions -- they're not out to get you, they are simply responding as their programming dictates. People, however, are shitty, whiny, entitled, bitter, malicious, spiteful.. that's where problems arise, and that's present in both veterinary and human medicine.
>>
>>2031170
>>2030719
I know you will answer to that with "well that's all the more reason to just treat people, you make more money!" But, again, you are simply incapable of empathizing with others. If you can't understand that people want to pursue a career in a field they actually enjoy instead of min-maxing their lives..

you will never, ever be satisfied with the answers you get in this thread.

Let me reiterate.

You will
never
be satisfied
with the answers
given in this thread
(there are many)
because you cannot empathize
or see past your own narrow world view.
>>
>>2031189
The second post you replied to wasn't me, but keep on projecting.

You also missed the part of my post where I said I was a CVT and had another job, and I'm comfortable, not rich, but happy.

I was arguing that a love for rehabilitating sick animals isn't enough to inspire people to become a full-fledged vet.

That is because of the endless amounts of responsibility that come with the job besides treating and interacting animals.

The paperwork. My god the paperwork [well digital work, mostly computers now] and details you put into each patient's profile. Filling presriptions, something doctors only write a script for. Doing GP diagnosing and surgery, when doctors typically refer you to a surgeon.

I love caring for animals, and have worked at animal clinics for over a decade. I even volunteered before working age because I thought I wanted to be a vet so bad.

Constant exposure showed me the less than stellar aspects of the profession, many of which had nothing to do with animals. So my affection of animals wasn't enough to inspire me to go through massive debt all the way through vet school.

My current employer loves animals. She is a vet about 4 years older than myself, and we befriended each other. She can't do shit, just like the other vet I worked for. No romantic life, she barely has time for her hobby of hockey once a week. She was born and spent some childhood in Russian and since enrolling in vet school 7 years ago has not had the time or money to go and visit them.

Being a doctor isn't much better, you do get more compensation, but an animal lover would be miserable with regret.

I'm not agreeing with OP, I'm just saying that being a veterinarian is the more difficult profession, and you have to have an EXTREME passion for it to be dedicated enough to keep through it. Most vets I know don't stop working because they retire, they do it until they can't do it anymore because their bodies won't let them
>>
Being a vet, you get to legally euthanize your patients.
>>
>>2031231
I think plenty vet'd rather euthanize owners than animals.
>>
>>2028689
If everybody thought by your logic, then nobody would be a vet. Do you really want a world without vets? You ever see the show dirty jobs? It maybe inferior to other lines of work, but somebody has to do it, and you should be thankful their are people who are willing to do it.
>>
>>2031222
Be cool bro, I accidentally clicked the wrong post to quote.

>>2031187
>>2031189
were mine, it was too long to fit all into one. In >>2031189 I meant to link back to my first post to show I was continuing it. Didn't mean to click yours. But man you jumped on that 'keep projecting' thing real fucking fast, loool.
>>
>>2031288
Vet school is for people who cannot get into med school.
>>
>>2031138
I am not telling people what to do. I just don't get why someone will pick vet school over med school.
>>2031187
A lot of people can learn to love their jobs. Being burned out inevitably happens.
>>
>>2031611
>I am not telling people what to do
by not accepting the answers given and telling people they're "stupid" and shit for their choices, you really are. no one cares that you only care about money. no one cares that you think they're wasting their potential. because it's none of your business or concern. go back to highschool and stay there
>>
>>2031628
Picking vet school over med school really is pointless though.
>>
>>2031288
If everyone thought by your logic the free market wouldn't exist.
>>
>>2031648
How is the free market relevant?
>>
>>2031639
and why should anyone care what you think? it's their choices
>>
>>2031639
Posting on Bhutanese tapestry websites is pointless.
You should be studying for your med school.
>>
File: 1385522133068.gif (3MB, 198x274px) Image search: [Google]
1385522133068.gif
3MB, 198x274px
>>2028689
Because the human body terrifies me and I'd rather patch up animals. Farm animals. Large farm animals that produce milk. Also I probably won't develop a coke problem if I accidentally kill someone's cow/goat/sheep

Why does anyone do anything?
>>
I personally hate people but love animals. Thats why I would choose it.
>>
>>2028689
Itt: Americans don't understand non capitalist viewpoints; that not everybody's life is just a quest to get the biggest possible television to watch Here Comes Honey-boo on
>>
>>2032280
People will sue you if you kill their animals too.
>>2032418
As a vet you need to deal with owners too.
>>
I don't understand how this thread is still going, people sometimes want different things OP.
>>
>>2032538
But all jobs are stressful and shit. Just see
>>16655342
This is the truth. If not, why would someone else say this?
>>
>>2032542
Sorry the link should be
>>/adv/16655342
>>
>>2032543
Oh damn
>>>/adv/16655342
>>
vet school is only a 4 year program
>>
>>2032588
So is med school
>>
File: 1450023459219.jpg (173KB, 1070x898px) Image search: [Google]
1450023459219.jpg
173KB, 1070x898px
Op follow this image that is the only truth
>>
>>2032593
Currently im in top tier. Considering going to god tier but im too scared to switch my whole fucking life
>>
>>2032595
doo ittt..
i was in mid tier .. because i thought it was god tier then i quit and went to god tier and it's the best

it was hard .. and it sucked for a while

but it was so worth it
>>
>>2032593
So I am shit-tier? But all jobs suck as stated here
>>2032545
God tier does not exist?
>>
>>2032593
>only truth
STEMfag get out
>>
>>2032593
What if you do what you parents told you to do because they knew you loved it, were good at it, it brought money and was easy to you?
>>
>>2032607
/thread
Some people have the luck of loving a career which brings in a lot of cash
>>
>>2032597
>it was so worth it
Ill remember your advice
>>
>>2032600
Lol check the image before replying

>>2032599
Are you on women studies?
>>
>>2030585
Rabbits can live approx. a decade though. I agree rats and hamsters shouldn't really go to a vet just put them down if they're seriously sick but rabbits are pretty long lived, there are dogs with a shorter life expectancy than that (eg great Dane)
>>
OP here. See, other posters in another forum share a similar viewpoint as me: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/med-school-but-thinking-of-going-back-to-vet-school.1165254/
>>
Bump
See? Nobody responded to
>>2032888
Proves that I am right!
>>
>>2033100
No it proves your awful bait thread is dead
>>
>>2033244
What? So many people shared similar viewpoints in that forum post. If I am wrong, why would so many people say the same thing?
>>
OP, in case you're not trolling, have you ever been diagnosed as autistic?

I ask because it doesn't seem like you understand the viewpoints and motivations of others.
>>
>>2028703
OP must have never worked in a clinic
>>
>>2033256
>So many people
>only a handful in comparison to the gigantic mountain of people saying you're a moron
selective much?

>If I am wrong
this is why you're too autistic to understand this. you're not wrong if that's the way YOU want to live YOUR life. you're trying to apply YOUR world view to OTHER people's lives and fucking insulting them for it. that's where you turn into an autistic sperg
>>
>>2033335
Because all jobs are fundamentally the same
>>2033495
The forum posts illustrate that in normal cases, picking vet school over med school is retarded and pointless.
>>
>>2033568
>insulting people over their choice to have a career they enjoy
this is why you're a highschool minded autist

>all jobs are fundamentally the same
just shows how little life experience you have
>>
>>2033640
I mean, if any faggot starts a thread about whether he should pick vet school or med school online (it doesn't even have to be on 4chan), most people will tell him to pick med school. It just goes to show that people who pick vet school are being irrational.
Almost every single job has someone who will make you miserable, be it bosses, managers, coworkers or customers. I've done retail work and I know that it is shit.
>>
>>2033649
Since when is picking a career because you want to do it irrational?
>>
>>2033673
I mean, there must be a reason why most people recommend med school instead of vet school.
These people are irrational in the sense that they are probably romanticising a vet's job too much.
>>
>>2033678
>reason why most people recommend med school instead of vet school
Yes, that's money, but that's not the be all end all for some people.
>>
>>2033689
A lot of people mentioned reasons besides money though in the forum post.
>>
>>2033689
unless someone is going into brain surgery or pediatrics or some similar specialization the money's probably pretty similar.

vets and doctors make more money than the average guy for much the same reason lawyers and carpet cleaners do -
they're all usually business owners and business owners make more money than the average person.
>>
>>2033715
>they're all usually business owners and business owners make more money than the average person.
Not all vets and doctors are business owners you moron.
And not all business owners earn a profit.
>>
>>2033764
>Not all vets and doctors are business owners you moron.
I didn't say they did.
learn to read before calling others morons....
>>
>>2033772
Sorry I was drunk and misread that
>>
my friend worked at a vet and told me the vet went to help during a bad accident where a cyclist or pedestrian or someone got a limb amputated
i guess the vet was really shaken up and in a bad way from the whole thing but animals don't have the same effect

i'm the same way.. human gore icks me out but i hunt and slaughter animals no problem
>>
>>2033905
You can learn to overcome this fear though.
>>
File: 32e.jpg (28KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
32e.jpg
28KB, 500x364px
I'm in vet school and have a cousin who is finishing med school.
>Vet scholl is just as hard if not harder than med school, as you will have to learn at least 5 different species from the beginning
>you will have more career options as a vet
> horse vets earn a ton of money if that is what you are worried about
>you will probably have to interact with the same amount of people, depending on your career, many times shitty lying owners, but at least they are not dying or leaking fluids
>the amount of hours a doctor has to work is at least the double of a vet

tl;dr: both are hard, enough that going into any just for money isn't worth it
>>
>>2034603
Being a doctor is very prestigious though. Being a vet is meh-tier.
>>
>>2035287
What shit-tier country do you live in?
>>
>>2035344
This is the case in every country? Telling people you are a doctor is prestigious.
>>
>>2035527
it may be something for your mom to brag about it at dinner parties, but your patients in daily life will have little to no respect for you and you'll be shit on daily. metaphorically and many times literally as well.
>>
>>2035527
What the fuck.
Come on now, what third world country are you from?
Or did you come from the 60s?
>>
>>2035527
Some people will think your an over payed jackass working with insurance companies to pocket sick people's money.
>>
>>2035532
Vets need to deal with rude customers too. The customer is always right. Doesn't matter what your occupation is.
>>2035535
There is some prestige to telling people that you are a doctor. Doesn't matter if you disagree with me.
>>2035560
These people are rare.
>>
Hmm, make decent money doing something that makes me happy or make more money doing something that makes me miserable every day of my life? Tough choice, OP.
>>
>>2035574
>These people are rare.
again. you're incredibly naive
>>
>>2035574
>Vets need to deal with rude customers too
that's exactly the point. if you have to deal with rude people either way, why not do something you actually enjoy so 25 years down the line you don't want to blow your brains out? after a certain point, money can't buy happiness.
>>
>>2035592
>you actually enjoy
Nobody enjoys going to work lol. A fun job does not exist.
>>
>>2035762
Are you a child?
>>
>>2035762
>A fun job does not exist
confirmed for underage
>>
>>2035765
>>2035768
I am just quoting my parents. "Nobody goes to work because they enjoy it. They have to go to work though as they have bills to pay. How many people actually enjoy working at McDonalds? If they got to leave, they would all leave."
I did retail and it was shit.
>>
>>2035796
your parents are right.

if work was fun people would do it for free and you couldn't get paid for it.

We always tell our kids to find something they like to do and make money at it, but really not that many people get paid to smoke weed, play vidya, fuck their ugly gf, or lurk 4chan.

Even if you do manage to get paid doing something you enjoy, it's only a matter of time before you come to hate it because you HAVE to do it. Nothing ruins fun as much as making a job out of it.

so don't despair, you WILL hate your job. There's no way around that and anyone that thinks there is is the actual unemployed child here.
>>
>>2035807
See? Someone agrees with me!
>>
>>2035810
the only people that think work is fun are college students that haven't tried it yet but are pretty sure they're going to waltz into a six-figure salary that requires minimal effort just because they completed the magical "right" degree.

Unless they happen to be geologists they're in for a huge surprise.
>>
>>2035816
>geologists
Wtf?
>>
>>2035796
>retail work is the same exact thing as someone doing work that they enjoy
GET THIS
Not everyone is a talentless loser. Some people enjoy certain things and can turn a career out of it. Work isn't always enjoyable regardless of what it is, but some people are capable enough to refine what they like to do into tangible skills that they bring to market, e.g. a love of reading and philosophy can turn into a shitty liberal arts degree or a law degree, that sort of thing.
Some people like working with animals more than humans. thats just how some things ARE.
>>
>>2035899
this is how we know you haven't finished school.

reality doesn't work that way, sport, but keep dreaming.
>>
>>2036062
See? Someone agrees with me.
>>
>>2036062
But I like my job.
>>
>>2036745
What is your job?
>>
Some people, hates people and prefer another animals. I'm one of those, but im not a vet, just a programmer.
>>
>>2036735
okay? and? no one ever said that no one ever wants to go into jobs for the money despite enjoying something else. yes, someone (only very very few out of the hundreds of people who have responded to you, btw) agrees with you in that's what they find practical for them

however, your point is that EVERYONE should think/act this way, hence why you're still on here arging with people that their life choices are wrong/stupid like an autistic sperg who has an anurism over people not viewing the world like you do. your logic of everyone having to desire the same things out of life is directly against the way humans work. not everyone wants the same things. not everyone cares about the same things. not everyone prioritizes the same things.

don't like it? no one cares what you think. some people are going to do things that make them happy > money. stop being such a faggot, grow up, and accept that
>>
>>2037808
Yeah, I understand that some people value things other than money, but since veing a vet and a doctor are fundamentally the same, why not pick the career which pays better?
>>
>>2038589
>since veing a vet and a doctor are fundamentally the same
you're wrong

>why not pick the career which pays better?
because they don't want to
>>
>>2038601
>you're wrong
Prove it.
>>
>>2038722
Not the guy you're responding too, but if you make claim like "a vet and a doctor are fundamentally the same", the burden of proof lies with you, not with him.
>>
>>2038753
>the burden of proof lies with you, not with him
What do you mean?
>>
>>2038766
One has animals and one has people, that is enough of a difference for some people.
>>
>>2038766
you're the one making a typically unsupported claim. it's up to you to back it up. you've tried to do this previously in the thread about the point and failed. too bad, so sad, now leave
>>
>>2038789
It's not. All are living organisms and performing surgery on them is disgusting.
>>2038860
Welltl this guy agrees with me >>2035807
Everyone else is this thread are minors/trolls.
>>
>>2039401
>the one person who agrees with me is right
>the overwhelming majority who don't are just trolls
>implying this ISNT how minors think

dear lord, you belong on /r9k/
>>
>>2039401
>>one has animals, that's enough difference for some people
>It's not

that's not your call to make you dim-witted autist
>>
>>2039450
Like that guy said most people who think work can be fun have never been to work before.
>>2039451
Then tell me the difference. Both have guts, blood, illnesses, etc. What is the difference?
>>
>>2032280
Is vet malpractice less then actual malpractice

Also anyone got any funny malpractice storys?
>>
>>2039450
>the overwhelming majority who don't are just trolls
just because you samefag the shit out of a thread doesn't make you right.

look, it's pretty simple. If you love doing something, you'll do it for free. If you'll do it for free nobody is going to fucking pay you to do it.

we tell ourselves we enjoy our work because the alternative is pretty depressing. But face it, nobody is going to pay you to do something you enjoy. You get paid because it sucks, and if you didn't get paid to do it, it wouldn't get done.

someday when you move out of mommy's basement you'll understand and stop trolling the adults.
>>
>>2039514
>It can't be, there are people who like things I don't!
>>
>>2039514
See! This is true!
>>
>>2028689
Money doesn't buy happiness.
>>
>>2039640
Actually it does. But only to about 80k per year (USA), after that it give diminishing returns or no returns. Most of your happiness is really your personal relationships, like lovers, friends, pets, etc. And obviously health.
>>
It's much easier to get into and the liability is much less.
Generally for people who can't cut it at medicine
>>
I went to uni in the Silicon Valley area. I started out trying to get a computer science degree (because that's what I was good at and what everyone encouraged me to do) and I ended up suicidal from trying to force myself to love it because it would make me a lot of money. It was tedious, lonely, and with little reward. And the thing is, I tried buying more and more stuff to make me feel like my life was worth something, but it wasn't, and I stopped caring about everything. So I was broke, buried in stuff, depressed, and failing at my degree.

I ended up switching degrees and getting into something I remember I enjoyed before I became so apathetic about everything, but my emotions, for the most part, still aren't back. I wish I had never tried to take the money route because by now I'd probably have friends, not have lost 15 pounds and be severely anemic, and still have feelings.
>>
>>2028689
Operations are gruesome.
Trust me you get used to it.
>>
>>2041207
You'd have done that anyway. Sounds like you have other issues that a different degree wouldn't have fixed.
>>
>>2041177
/thread
So why would anyone who can get into med school pick vet school?
>>2041207
What is your new degree?
>>2041269
So these people who want to become a vet can force themselves to like human medicine!
>>
>>2041272
Nah m8. I was happy as a clam when I first began uni, I really enjoyed courses that weren't CS, and none of the issues started until I realized I hated what I was majoring in and would be stuck doing it for the rest of my life.

>>2041325
Hybrid degree called Science, Technology, and Society. Main concentration is designing user interfaces and ads, as well as being able to handle whatever HR issues and paperwork come my way. It's a very widespread field of workplace stuff, mainly for high-tech companies. Sure it's not as prestigious or well-paying as computer science, but I'm not a suicidal buy-addict anymore and my emotions are slowly coming back.
>>
>>2041606
Just because you like a major doesn't mean you will like the jobs associated with it. How can you know you will like the jobs associated with your degree?
Thread posts: 200
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.