[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GMO pets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: GloFishChart_GMO.jpg (841KB, 1155x1545px) Image search: [Google]
GloFishChart_GMO.jpg
841KB, 1155x1545px
Hate them, love them, don't care but let others get them? Some countries out right ban them like the UK.

Should GM animals that were created for research like gfp axolotls be available to the general public?
Should GMOs created solely for pets be permitted at all? (i.e. most of the glofish)
Should GMOs only be allowed for practical purposes like crop yields and environmentalism?

Personally I prefer a natural tank but I think glofish should be permitted and they can look quite nice if you embrace the colors.
>>
Yes they should. Arguments stating they're not natural and that they were genetically engineered which is ethically wrong is completely false(purebred dogs), also they're not harmful or dangerous
>>
>>2027666
I don't really like them because they're not natural but then I don't like goldfish for the same reason.

I don't care if other people like them. There's nothing wrong with them other than they're tacky.
>>
File: GMOsilkworms.jpg (69KB, 660x481px) Image search: [Google]
GMOsilkworms.jpg
69KB, 660x481px
>>2027666
Here's a dress made from the silk of silkworms which were given the same genes as a bunch of those fish.
>>
File: Fluorescent-Cocoons-Crop.jpg (57KB, 326x452px) Image search: [Google]
Fluorescent-Cocoons-Crop.jpg
57KB, 326x452px
>>2027675
Another pic of the worms' cocoons.
>>
>>2027675
>which were given the same genes as a bunch of those fish.
that's wrong. the silkworms were given GFP and its variants. the fish get bright color pigment genes.
>>
File: GMOsalmoncrushingit.jpg (63KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
GMOsalmoncrushingit.jpg
63KB, 640x360px
>>2027683
The fish get fluorescent genes, not just bright color genes. They sell special LED lights to make the colors show. The green fish has the same gfp jelly fish gene as the silkworms and the red ones have the same Discosoma gene from coral. Only the orange colors don't share the same gene source.
>>
>>2027689
>gmo salmon
>not just overfed
>>
>>2027689
> muh gains
>>
What about these?
>It's not used for food.
>It's not an animal so there's no ethical issues
>It can't escape so there's no risk to the environment
>>
>>2027714
www.glowingplant.com
Fuck me.
>>
I don't see anything wrong with GMO in general. I do see it like a gun though, in which case it depends on whose wielding it and for what purpose.

>nb4 people telling me how wrong I am

Don't care.
>>
File: gfplimbregeneration.jpg (519KB, 2080x792px) Image search: [Google]
gfplimbregeneration.jpg
519KB, 2080x792px
>>2027720
Best purpose being science

>>2027709
>>2027704
They are real and eat the same amount as a normal farmed atlantic salmon. Fish are also the same age. They just added genes from the faster growing king salmon. They are likely to be fda approved but some conservationists have been complaining that they did absolutely no research into potential consequences of escapes.

Another GMO advancement is yeast that produce large amounts of omega-3 fatty acids that can be used to replace fish meal in farmed salmon making them a lot more friendly to anchovies and other small bait fish that have been over fished.
>>
>>2027725
Will they still need to dye the flesh of farm raised salmon?
>>
>>2027730
No idea, hopefully not. I learned about these from the New England Aquarium. They were kind of "yeah GMOs, but boo under researched consequences".
>>
Next-gen, radical GMOs are inevitably going to contaminate wild populations, and Michael Crichton will have the last laugh before the planet goes dark --or faintly bioluminescent-- for good.
>>
>>2027672
While I agree with you that GMO pets should be legal, I hope you realize there's a big difference between selective breeding and gene splicing.
>>
>>2027794
The mechanism is different but the result is the same, in a sense.

Genetically modifying a creature to be arguably more suitable for human life.
>>
>>2027672
jack russell's descendant doesn't get a quarter every time someone buys a jack russell because theres no patent on that selectively bred organism
>>
>>2027865
if there was it would've expired a long time ago.
>>
>>2027766
>faintly bioluminescent-- for good.

I just had the mental image of bright blue wolves sneaking up on some bright green deer
>>
>>2027863
I guess you could argue that with selective breeding you're working on nature's terms (you can go further with taking a gene from another organism).

In both there is the nature's ultimate check though, is the organism viable and will it survive? Not that that has stopped people from having breeding practices where many of the new and fancy offspring suffer from ailments, or not even survive to birth (munchkin gene is semi-lethal).
>>
>>2027666
It's only a matter if time before these animals get released into the wild since literally all pet owners are irresponsible hacks and then they'll obliterate the native populations with genetic contamination.
>>
>>2027766
>or faintly bioluminescent
Kek of doom
>>
>>2027863
Useful idiots like yourself are the reason the world is hell, the megafauna are obliterated and mankind will go extinct.
>>
>>2027794
Yes, with gene splicing you know exactly what you're doing, but with selective breeding you can only hope that a good combination of genes is passed on to the next generation
>>
>>2028316
You obviously don't know how genetic modification works and are running on shill propaganda.
>>
>>2028295
Are you referring to Glofish specifically? I think they'd be out competed in the wild on account of being a big bright fucking green ass target for predators. And if somehow they do outcompete wild type variants, then they were obviously better suited for the environment and deserved it.
>>
>>2028302
Yea, no. Ignorant people like yourself are the ones fucking the world up.
>>
>>2027666
Glofish would look nice in a tank with them and other glowing fish only, however, i wouldn't but them, but the glowing axolotls i would buy.
>>
>>2027666
They're fine. Fuck the GMO will kill us all conspiracy theorists.

The rules on GMO pets should be:
>Doesn't harm the animal or remove any of the animals abilities
>Doesn't give the animal an advantage in the wild
>Doesn't make the animal dangerous to humans

By the UK's standards, pugs should be banned. My country is stupid.
>>
>>2028350
Glofish basically have the same appeal as saltwater fish. I imagine they'd look more or less "proper" in a tank with lace rock and some brightly colored fake coral.
>>
>>2028365
>Fuck the GMO will kill us all conspiracy theorists
I doubt it'll kill us all any faster than typical monoculture agriculture. People tend to have fewer diet related illnesses on indigenous diets than on "first-world" diets.
>>
>>2028316
> and then they'll obliterate the native populations with genetic contamination.

I never knew places like Britain and Scandinavia had suitable habitats for fucking tropical fishes.
>>
>>2028693
meant for
>>2028295
>>
>>2028365
iirc the UK GMO ban has something to do EU wide legislation.
>>
>>2028693
>all gm-animals are tropical fish.
>>
>>2027720
Nah, that's a pretty sensible viewpoint to take.
>>
>>2027716
>>2027714
There is a huge risk to the environment, though. Because the pollen/seeds from those plants could spread and become an invasive species.
>>
>>2029295
Wasting energy on producing a fluorescent protein is not likely an advantage in the wild and likely posses less risk than the unmodified plant.

Crops do awful without human intervention, they waste huge amounts of energy creating food. Weeds would out compete gm crops just like normal crops.
>>
>>2027725
>picture
you can do that with regular dyes.
>>
>>2028419
>People tend to have fewer diet related illnesses on indigenous diets than on "first-world" diets.
only because they eat less.
>>
>>2029319
No you can't idiot. Dyes don't reproduce and spread and indicated exactly where stem cells came from over the course of months when studying limb regeneration. Fuck off.
>>
File: 0,1020,827471,00.jpg (31KB, 420x280px) Image search: [Google]
0,1020,827471,00.jpg
31KB, 420x280px
I live in germany and they are banned here. it once was in the news that they caught a pet dealer who sold them. the dealer may have to pay up to 50.000 €. people are abit scared of modification of animals by human.
source(in german): http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/gentechnik-verbotene-leuchtfische-in-deutschland-aufgetaucht-a-472468.html
>>
>>2029325
>Dyes don't reproduce
don't need to, just put enough in there.
>and spread
most certainly do
>and indicated exactly where stem cells came from
sure it can.
>>
>ayo hol up let's take beautiful and interesting Danios and make them look shit.

Retarded
>>
>>2029609
As someone who uses fluorescent marker dyes in research, they don't work how you seem to think they do. Yes, they will attach to certain KINDS of cells and stay with them for a decent span of time. But you can't target specific INDIVIDUAL cells without the dye mucking up any others that happen to be the same type as those individuals.
Basically, dye is specific, not precise.
>>
The reason they are outlawed in the UK is because the majority are not GM but young fish that are injected and dyed at birth.

This is cruel to them causes them significant harm and lesser quality of life.
>>
>>2029298
>be super-villain
>design gm weeds resistant to herbicides used by agricultural industry
>design gm locusts resistant to pesticides
>disrupt the crop cycle, causing widespread famine and unrest
>Midwestern US experiences ecological disasters on par with the Dust Bowl

I wonder if any biotech firms have developed doomsday device-tier organisms yet.
>>
>>2027666
Can they even reproduce?
>>
>>2029759
Yes, but ones that are sold in pet stores are sterile. It's not only to prevent them from being released into the wild but also because of some legal thing about the genes being property of GloFish company, otherwise breeders would probably make a shit ton of them.
>>
>>2029761
I kinda feel sorry for the Glofish.
They swim around in these neon tanks at the store.
I'm not sure if the bioluminescence would keep them from the fish equivalent of sleep cycles.
I just know that the neon in the tanks is grating on my eyes, how must it be for them?
>>
>>2029765
There's a chance that they can't see that spectru of light, but my sparkle tackle gets the most fish so no clue
>>
>>2029616
Glofish are banned specifically because they are all genetically modified fish and has nothing to do with dyed fish bans. Not a single fish sold under the glofish brand is tattooed or dyed.
>>
File: IMG_4374.jpg (81KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4374.jpg
81KB, 800x533px
>>2029765
>>2029774
I don't think that would be much of an issue. They aren't bioluminescent, they are fluorescent.

Unlike bioluminescent things fluorescent proteins must absorb and store light energy which they then release again as the color we see. They only really "glow" when the lights are on. The dark tank with glowing fish is achieved using uv light LEDs.
>>
>>2029848
Okay, I was worried about that for a while.
>>
>>2027666

evolution is too slow, GMOs are our keys to unlocking the future in our time.
>>
File: hascolortheorygonetofar.jpg (29KB, 458x219px) Image search: [Google]
hascolortheorygonetofar.jpg
29KB, 458x219px
I wish more GMOs had visual effects. Showing a hundred different green organisms gets dull after awhile.
>>
Do GMO creatures taste good? Can you make fish taste like coco pops through GMO?
>>
>>2030126
Probably.
>>
>>2030127
omg
>>
>>2028345
>then they were obviously better suited for the environment and deserved it.
Darwin always has the last laugh.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.