[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

T-Rex VS. Woolly Mammoth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 51

File: image.png (848KB, 1039x429px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
848KB, 1039x429px
Who wins?
Both on a field 100 m apart, bloodlusted
>>
>>2011213
The biggest mammoth outweighs the biggest T-rex by like 4-8 tons and it could protect itself with its tusks I guess. Could potentially charge and knock the T-rex over, no?
>>
>>2011213
Ambient temperature of this field? If it's -40 my money goes on Fluffy there. +40 Smiley would have a big edge.
>>
File: bull.jpg (110KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
bull.jpg
110KB, 800x533px
dude even a bull african elephant could kill tyrannosaurus
>>
File: bull elephant.jpg (140KB, 860x891px) Image search: [Google]
bull elephant.jpg
140KB, 860x891px
>>2011227
>>
>>2011227
I highly doubt it. Tyrannosaurus somehow managed to kill triceratops, which was basically an elephant with a huge beak and 3 giant spears stuck to it's face.
>>
File: 54545454.jpg (172KB, 964x493px) Image search: [Google]
54545454.jpg
172KB, 964x493px
>>2011231
>I highly doubt it

I don't
because bull elephants are agressive as fuck and some of their tusks can grow to large sizes
(the biggest is 3.50.m)
>>
File: 2121.jpg (48KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
2121.jpg
48KB, 590x350px
>>
>The biggest mammoth outweighs the biggest T-rex

so does some african elephants
your point?
>>
File: largesttheropodsvsbullelephant.jpg (129KB, 1681x435px) Image search: [Google]
largesttheropodsvsbullelephant.jpg
129KB, 1681x435px
>>2011231
>I highly doubt it

kek
>>
File: bull.jpg (156KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
bull.jpg
156KB, 800x533px
>>2011227
That bull might not be interested in killing...
>>
>>2011213

I'd bet on the T-Rex, just because it's a predator evolved to prey on things at least close to the size of a mammoth, and mammoths never had to deal with predators the size of a T-rex, or even in the same league.

Of course, temperature, oxygen content of the air, and a bunch of other minor factors would come into play, and I doubt it'd be anything like certain. But my money would be on the T-Rex.

Maybe something like 65-35.
>>
>>2011234
this
>>
elephants because higher intelligence, outweight the trex and the most important thing is the oxygen
trex would go unconscious
>>
File: tumblr_ny2yft3xfG1rk929lo1_1280.png (222KB, 1280x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny2yft3xfG1rk929lo1_1280.png
222KB, 1280x500px
Paleoloxodon namadicus is much bigger.

Kill yourselves you fucking douches.
>>
>>2011265
http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/4963/20131119/dinosaurs-lived-in-a-low-oxygen-world-study-suggests.htm
>>
>>2011238
4 legs, more mass, much more densely built. Tusks are perfect as a weapon/shield to hold the T-rex at bay. It could knock the T-rex over.

What's your point?
>>
the problem is T-Rex is basically a lizard. Rex would have completely unpolluted, unthinking cunning, and not suffer from the petty trappings of higher-thinking mammalian bodies and brains. i don't think Rex would ever give up :[
>>
Mammoth would just snap T-rex's neck with its trunk.
>>
File: deinosuchus.jpg (191KB, 827x569px) Image search: [Google]
deinosuchus.jpg
191KB, 827x569px
>>2011213
Deinosuchus destroys both
>>
Jack>Drake
>>
>>2011308
>T.rex is basically a lizard
>>
>>2011312
>you live in a world where people are this uneducated
>>
>>2011685
i didn't she WAS a lizard i'm just sayin' t'wrecks is operating on what is referred-to as a basic reptilian brain is all.
>>
>>2011221
OP said woolly mammoth, they only weigh about 6 tonnes.
>>
>>2011748
Well then it gets more even. Front vs front I think it'd be more like a stalemate.
>>
>>2011714
>T.rex is basically a lizard
>i didn't she WAS a lizard

rigght.
>>
>>2011303
t rex's hunted animals with a compatible size to a large rhino with 3 pointy horns and a bony display crest. there built to deal with large animals with pointy things on their heads.
>>
>>2011862
T-Rex did not risk dying when it hunted though, if it could prevent it. Now it's an all out fight. Also, aren't a Triceratop's horns mostly for show? I heard their horns if used for ramming could potentially get shoved back into their skull/brain.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 441x114px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 441x114px
>>2011862
triceratops was closer to elephant size than to rhino.
>>2011865
>I heard their horns if used for ramming could potentially get shoved back into their skull/brain.
their brain is about the size of a peanut and is wrapped in bone about three to five inches thick. There's no possible way a horn would hit it.
>>
>>2011865
Yeah, and I heard that if you have sex with a pregnant woman you can poke the baby in the eye if you're not careful.
>>
>>2011862

T-Rex and Triceratops weren't even alive at the same time, you dip.
>>
>>2011970
wut?
Triceratops was rex's favorite food.
we have hundreds of Triceratops bones with T. rex tooth marks on them.
>>
>>2011971
"So far, no one has found direct evidence of a Tyrannosaurus versus Triceratops battle. A healed bite wound on a Triceratops skeleton or an injured Tyrannosaurus bone corresponding to damage that could have only been made by a horn would provide paleontologists with a sign that these dinosaurs actually fought."
>http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/did-tyrannosaurus-ever-battle-triceratops-95464192/?no-ist
>>
>>2011985
>dozens of T. rex tooth marks appear on a Triceratops sp. pelvis...
>http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02724634.1996.10011297?journalCode=ujvp20

>at the Titans of the Past exhibition, I could view the sharp teeth marks of a T. rex indented in a hipbone fossil of a Triceratops. >Read more from Asian Scientist Magazine at: http://www.asianscientist.com/2013/12/features/treacherous-titans-bone-crushing-dinosaurs-mammals-science-center-singapore-2013/

etc.

the Smithsonian dinosaur blog is bullshit.
>>
>>2011985
also, they're talking specifically about fighting, not just eating.
there are thousands of examples of T. rex eating Triceratops.

there's only a couple examples of them fighting, where both survive the fight.

the author is not a paleontologist though, or they'd know the first Trike ever described survived a fight with a T. rex.
>>
>>2011993
citation:
>There is evidence that Tyrannosaurus did have aggressive head-on encounters with Triceratops, based on partially healed tyrannosaur tooth marks on a Triceratops brow horn and squamosal; the bitten horn is also broken, with new bone growth after the break. Which animal was the aggressor is not known.[51]

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triceratops
>>
>>2011227
>boner
>pile of shit
>acting aggressive
Pepe the Elephant.
>>
>>2011256
>just because it's a predator evolved to prey on things at least close to the size of a mammoth, and mammoths never had to deal with predators the size of a T-rex, or even in the same league.
Except other mammoths.

Those fuckers are HUGE. Head on, T-rex is toast.
>>
the elephant bull would destroy the trex desu
>>
>>2011714
>reptilian brain

How to know someone has no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>2011272

Petty signoramuses are ignoring this. How sad.
>>
>>2013769
>>2013785
there are actually differences in the size, shape and anatomy of the brain in modern reptiles as compared to birds.

very large differences in fact.

of the two types, Tyrannosaurus had what we call a "reptilian" brain. No noticeable forebrain enlargement not associated with olfaction. Also an overall brain mass to body weight ratio that's much closer to an alligator than an albatross.
>>
>>2011242
>old chart
>theropods confirmed to be bigger than that
>>
>>2011213
Real question is would a rex win against a COLUMBIAN mammoth? As much a rexfag as I am, it'd still tear him to pieces
>>
>>2015163
Steppe Mammoth was probably even larger, lad
>>
>>2015163
More importantly, What could kill a colombian mammoth?
>>
>>2011245
>that dick is bigger than most humans are tall
>>
>>2015360
Soylent green.
>>
>>2015160
>theropods confirmed to be bigger than that
that chart is actual sizes of known fossils. It even includes the ID's and locations of those fossils in case anyone wants to go measure them.

These aren't average theropods either. These are the largest known examples of each animal.
>>
File: 1441602124081.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1441602124081.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
As absurd as these kinds of thought experiments are, the smart money would probably be on the mammoth.
>>
>>2011213
No contest- Woolly Mammoth.

An apocalyptic asteroid couldn't even REALLY take them out.
>>
>>2011234
>because bull elephants are aggressive as fuck
And you think Triceratops weren't?
>>
>>2011242
the largest African elephants are around 10 feet tall
the largest Tyrannosaurs stood at nearly 20
So your chart is full of shit
>>
File: t-rex-skeleton-300.jpg (24KB, 300x268px) Image search: [Google]
t-rex-skeleton-300.jpg
24KB, 300x268px
>>2017918
I'm going to let you look at this pic for a second and see if you can figure out your mistake by yourself.
>>
>>2017925
The early 1900's telegraphed, they want their photograph back.
>>
File: wp2.jpg (437KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wp2.jpg
437KB, 1600x1200px
>>2017939
exactly.

height in a bipedal animal depends greatly on posture. If someone says rex stood over 20' tall they're using an erect posture that is now considered unlikely.

but since total height varies by posture, it's easier to use a height measurement that doesn't change. Hip height is the measure on Tyrannosaurus that doesn't change with posture.

Standing hip height of the largest known T. rex is just over 12 feet. As the chart we're discussing shows.
>>
>>2015360
A group of humans with pointy sticks and/ or a cliff nearby to chase it off of :^)
>>
>>2011393
>AHH!!
>>
>>2018127
jokes on you
there's no such thing as a colombian mammoth
>>
>>2011265
>oxygen
>trex would go unconscious
Dude do you even fucking dinosaurs? Dinosaurs had the best respiratory systems of any animal that ever lived. They could live in almost any atmosphere the Earth has ever had since life began.
>>
>>2011393
>100m long deinosuchus
lol
>>
Could we pose this question to the jurassic park guys and get them to include this in their next movie?
>>
>>2019442
could they live in space?
no.
Man: 1
Dinosaurs: 0
>>
>>2011213
i don't think anyone mentioned this, i tried to catch up on the thread but skimmed some of the pointless arguing -- we can easily mammoths behaved similar to modern elephants. they are clever and wary, even when aggressive -- they would threaten with tusks, charge, try to do some damage, then back off. they would keep their tusks squarely facing the opponent. as a warm-blooded mammal with a relatively high metabolism, they could continue in this manner for a long time, frustrating or tiring a predator and possibly damaging it with charges enough to take the fight.

on the other hand, we cannot *easily* surmise anything about t-rex. theories abound including a theory that they were warm-blooded. were they like birds of prey? fast, ambush predators striking without warning so there was barely even a fight? were they active and tenacious, attacking again and again until their prey was tired out and then coming in for the kill? or did they tire easily? did they stupidly go all-out in a frontal assault regardless of the prey's defensive capabilities? or were they cat-like and wary, backing away from prey that put up a fight? honestly, no one knows. they may have been idiots and run straight into the tusks. they may have been clever and done things we could never know about like whipping with their tail to stun prey (ever see steve irwin when he got too close to a komodo dragon? whipped him with the tail and left quite a welt.)

so until the fight is on pay-per-view i dunno if t-rex is rhonda rousey or conor mcgregor.
>>
>>2020261
*we can easily surmise that
>>
File: tardigrade.jpg (41KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
tardigrade.jpg
41KB, 500x331px
>>2020252
>he needs a helmet and suit to live in space

fuckin pleb
>>
>>2022006
False color SEM images creep me out - Everything looks all papery and wrong. Am I the only one that finds them deeply unsettling?
>>
>OPfag
That means Jack is Stonger than Drake?
>>
>>2011712
While elephant trunks are exceptionally powerful considering they have a fuckton of muscles used to simply move the thing in a certain direction, I dunno if it could snap the neck of a predator as bug as a T. rex.
>>
>>2011712
>>2022179
I was just referencing Jurassic Park 3, lads.
>>
>>2022009
They look like high-quality, texture-less renders
>>
File: wtfisgoingonhere.jpg (77KB, 530x396px) Image search: [Google]
wtfisgoingonhere.jpg
77KB, 530x396px
Hey guys. I think we're all missing an important fact here. The Tyrannosaurus is actually believed to be a scavenger, so all that predatory instinct yall are talking about is only half right at best. It's legs are more designed for long distance walking rather than running, so it may not be able to charge with much force. One advantage it does have however, is the immense jaw strength, but the woolie's fur may negate that in they key points of battle.
>>
>>2022220
nobody believes rex was a slow scavenger anymore. Not even the guy that said it in the first place.
>>
>>2022248
look at the facts though. Even if it wasn't, its still not very fast.
>>
>>2022474
faster than the animals it ate.
faster than a mammoth.
>>
>>2013071
>Those fuckers are HUGE.
...yet still smaller than the largest T-rexes, albeit by a relativeley small margin. The largest land predator to live at the same time as wooly mammoths would be bears, the largest of which (which were continents away) weren't even half the size of a big T-rex.
>>
>>2022643
another point to keep in mind is predators are often smaller than their prey, especially with dinosaurs.

T. rex regularly preyed on animals >50% larger than mammoths by weight, and at least equal to its own size. Often enough its prey was actually larger than it was.
>>
File: spinosaurus.jpg (43KB, 640x395px) Image search: [Google]
spinosaurus.jpg
43KB, 640x395px
>plebbosaurus rex
>not the largest predator to ever stalk the earth
Bipedal or quadrupedal?
Sail or hump?
>>
>>2022651
currently looking bipedal, but we need more fossils to say. Unfortunately the Kem Kem Beds which are chock full of Spinosaurus remains mostly preserve random piles of bones from all different dinosaurs and other critters present. No unequivocal articulated remains to date.

Regarding the hump/sail, it's clear that the neural spines were heavily vascularized and made of cancellous tissue without significant periosteum. This structure is also found in Stegosaurus plates as well as osteoderms from a number of dinosaurs including Ceratosaurus. It's not usually interpreted as being muscle attachment or fat deposits. When we encounter that type of bone it's usually covered with horn or skin. Not conclusive proof or anything, but perhaps indicative of a sail rather than a hump.
>>
>>2022663
>When we encounter that type of bone it's usually covered with horn or skin.
It's also really common on bones that have been eaten and passed through the digestive tract. Stomach acid tends to remove the periosteum and expose the cancellous bone beneath.

presumably the neural spines of Spinosaurus weren't eaten and shit out though. Any theropod that ate those would choke to death.

Another alternative is abrasion of the periosteum by sand, wind or water. That's pretty unlikely as well though. It usually just strips off parts of the periosteum that are exposed to the elements, so you'd get a neural spine that's half cancellous surface and half smooth bone.
>>
>>2011312
lol they can't even do that to crocs.
>>
>>2020183
Fuck no. No one wants ice age animals on dinosaur movies.
>>
File: dod.jpg (109KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
dod.jpg
109KB, 480x720px
>>2022701
>>
>>2022668
Why would carnivorous dinosaurs be passing bones? Pretty much every carnivore can digest them just fine.
>>
>>2022712
carnivorous dinosaurs didn't digest bones completely. Dinoshit full of bones isn't exactly rare.

also a lot of times the bones we find digested were still in the dinosaur when they died.
>>
>>2022717
Really? Huh, never knew that. Any idea why they didn't when everything else seems to have no issues with it?
>>
>>2022721
you've got a preservation bias going, most modern carnivores don't eat big bones and have no problem digesting small ones.

Gigantic theropods on the other hand regularly ate huge bones, just like your mother does. This is because they ate huge animals, they had to.

so it's probably just a matter of prey size. Gigantic theropods clearly digested bone, but the bones were large enough that digestion didn't do much except strip the surface off.
>>
>>2022721
we could also add that this is probably the reason babby dinosaurs are almost never found.

they were eaten, and they were small enough that the bones digested completely away.
>>
>>2022721
third reason is a bit simpler:

we don't find the bones they DID digest completely....
>>
>>2020261
>so until the fight is on pay-per-view i dunno if t-rex is rhonda rousey or conor mcgregor.

What a perfect analogy
>>
>>2022723
>just like your mother does
kek
>>
>>2011213
Almost certainly tyrannosaurus would win.

Despite what some may believe, woolly mammoths are actually smaller than modern African bull elephants; though there are other larger species of mammoths than the animal actually named "woolly".

Plus, tyrannosaurus had:
1. An extremely powerful set of jaws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb_PCcbdIJo
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-tyrannosaurus-rexs-dangerous-and-deadly-bite-37252918/?no-ist
One bite from those, and it would pretty much be the end.

2. A terrifyingly wide gap
http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/2/11/150495
This allowed its jaws to have very little limitations on where or how much it can chomp.

3. Massive serrated, bone smashing teeth
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/009/153/original/ig25_tyrannosaurus_rex_02.jpg?1296257396

4. And very accurate eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtQPo4HKLY
Precision matters a lot.
>>
>>2011245
Elephants sometimes show off their penises as a threatening display of dominance.
>>
>>2023628

yes
tyran would rip off tusks
>>
>>2023641
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
T-Rex wins. They're about the same size, except one is a carnivore that evolved to be extremely good at killing. There's only one way this ends.
>>
>>2015360
Cocaine
>>
>>2017915
Their skulls turned out to be quite fragile, plus both reptiles and birds are chill compared to mammals, especially the herbivores, so it's very likely they weren't.
>>
File: bc-159-lg.jpg (991KB, 1200x1103px) Image search: [Google]
bc-159-lg.jpg
991KB, 1200x1103px
>>2026167
Only the beak area of triceratops skull was considered weak. The rest was very solid, which goes especially for its horns.

Elephant skull are also very robust, but its tusks are basically specialized teeth that though are strong were clearly not suited to withstand a massive tyrannosaurus biting on to them and yanking them off.
Triceratops horns were also designed to spear deep into ribcages, while elephants were just design to shove rival elephants or batter smaller animals such as lions or tigers (which can kill these much smaller predators).
>>
Highly dependant on situation.
Some animals in each species have more fighting experience, they have different ages and propably even slightly different fighting styles.

Each animal could basically incapicate the other with one first hit.
>>
File: 1324632232751.jpg (45KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1324632232751.jpg
45KB, 409x409px
>tfw a mammoth could kill a T-Rex
>tfw humans killed mammoths

who /Apexpredator/ here?
>>
>>2026201
A tusk is designed to show other elephants but wouldn't withstand a T-rex' bite? I'm not good at math, but a 9 ton animal pushing against another 9 ton animal surely creates more force than a T-rex' bite, no?
>>
>>2026570
shove* not show
>>
>>2026570
Not as much as you may think. Here is a comment explaining tyrannosaurus jaws with some very good citations. >>2023628

If a tyrannosaurus chomps on the tusks and jerk its head enough, those tusks can be torn off.
>>
>>2026640
'd say one could probably take a woolly mammoth. I assumed it was the largest mammoth, but break a tusk? How great was a T-rex' balance? It's not like the mammoth would stand still.
>>
>tfw there will never be a carnivore elephant
>>
>>2022220

Go home, Horner
>>
>>2026733
From yahoo answers
>in 2005 in india there was a case of a female matriarch that ate a human. the elephant did die cause they cant digest meat and when she died they cut her open and found meat in her stomach.
The Simpsons was right.
>>
>>2018135
not anymore
>>
>>2011213
Graham's number of ants
>>
>>2011303
Do you think the t-rex would attack on the front? It's bloodlusted, not stupid.
It's faster, it would out manouver it and attack the mammoth from it's back.
>>
File: 1324632232764.jpg (177KB, 1300x1253px) Image search: [Google]
1324632232764.jpg
177KB, 1300x1253px
>>2027266
>biped with tail
>outmaneuvering quadruped
>>
>>2027271
How fast is a mammoth?
>>
>>2027272
Mammoth hair would make it more difficult to bite. If the Trex were trying to positing itself behind the mammoth, the mammoth could use the momentum of turning to face the Trex and deliver a powerful tusk attack. Break some of the rexs bones, which are less dense than the mammoths, and that big chicken is fucked.

Mammoth decisive victory.
>>
>>2027266
>not stupid
Elephants are amongst the smartest animals on the planet, literal top 10
The smartest dinosaur is still dumber than the dumbest bird, the mammoth is going to be a fucking tactical genius compared to peanutbrain rex
>>
File: pt69905.jpg (28KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
pt69905.jpg
28KB, 450x338px
>>2011213

The T-Rex would win because of his jaw so massive (5000 pounds of pressure, it can take a mammoth leg easy). But a bad hit at full running speed by the wolly could cripple the t rex to death. This motherfucka like all bipede is extremy fragile with his big legs.

Remember Achille ?
>>
>>2027409
>T-rex would win
>T-rex bites the charging tusks, might crush and break one
>even if that happens the charging mammoth still has a momentum and will knock the T-rex down

Could the T-rex survive such a fall without injuries? How easily could it get back up?
>>
T.Rex had feathers so T.Rex could probably fly and eat the mammoth while airborne
>>
>>2016505
Is this photo real? Because if so this happened exactly 100 years before I was born.
>>
>>2028058
>/thread
This
>>
>>2022651
>Bipedal or quadrupedal?
Both, spent most of it's time when getting food on all fours, just like ur mum m8
>>
>>2011213
Mammoth is heavier and more stable on 4 legs than t-rex on 2 legs. The tusks give it more reach too. Tusks can take hits, deflect strikes, etc. T-rex has to attack with his head which is also a weak point. I'm assuming one big slam from a tusk to his face would end it outright. If t-rex falls over once he's probably getting stomped to death and it's all over. Basically for t-rex to win it'd have to get past the tusks and deal a pretty lethal blow to the mammoth, probably biting a main artery, and still make it out of range of the tusks. I could also see t-rex biting on and having an ankle dragged under the mammoth's foot. If t-rex loses one leg to a stomp or tusk strike, he's out too. It just doesn't seem likely that t-rex could win this.

Also don't mammoth's travel in herd's?
>>
Mammoth
It's just way larger, the T-rexes you see in movies are lies, they werent really that big
>>
File: mastsize.gif (13KB, 800x255px) Image search: [Google]
mastsize.gif
13KB, 800x255px
>>2028333
Tyrannosaurus is about as large, if not larger than an African bull elephant. >>2026640

'Woolly mammoths' (a specific species) are actually smaller than modern African and Asian elephants. Here is a more accurate example of a mammoth compared to a tyrannosaurus >>2023628
>>
>>2028409
I forgot to mention that the African elephant example is based on the largest specimen found in recorded documented history.
>>
File: Tyrannosaurus_Rex_Growth_Series.jpg (4MB, 3616x2266px) Image search: [Google]
Tyrannosaurus_Rex_Growth_Series.jpg
4MB, 3616x2266px
>>2022220
That's ironic, because most paleontologists agree that tyrannosaur legs were proportionately long. Their legs were also well adapted for maneuverability, swiftness and agility due to their proportionately longer tibias and metatarsals than most other large theropods.

The only thing that truly made tyrannosaurus arguably slow is its size and robust mass.
But there are even parts of their femurs that show strong signs pf having massive leg muscle attachments from their thighs to the base of their tails. This of course mean that tyrannosaurus was likely faster than we think.

Tyrannosaurus average speed estimate is 15-20 mph for a short distance. The extra strong legs may boost that up to 20-25 mph for at least a short amount of time, which is pretty fast for such a massive animal.
>>
>>2028426
How agile was a T-rex?
>>
>>2028426
>Tyrannosaurus average speed estimate is 15-20 mph for a short distance. The extra strong legs may boost that up to 20-25 mph for at least a short amount of time
I think most modern estimates range from 25-40 mph.

estimates below 20 mph are usually from people that don't think rex could run. Whether that's true or not is unknown.
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 275x183px
>>2028441
It is hard to say. Based on tyrannosaurus legs and tail which I explained on, it would appear that tyrannosaurus was more agile than most large dinosaurs.
There are even some studies that show tyrannosaurus could move its tail quite quickly, which would give it more control of its balance and increase swiftness and agility.

Just look at a similar size bipedal dinosaur called acrocanthrosaurus. All of the main bones (femur, tibia and metatarsals) in its legs were found and was cleanly a relatively short animal with legs that were also proportionately thin.
Its tail was also likely not as fast, due to the enlarged neorospine body crest that would have encased it more in flesh and thus making it more stiff.

But tyrannosaurus broadness, size and weight are also factor, but factors that suggest it was probably slower than it should have otherwise been.
>>
File: tmp.jpg (40KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
tmp.jpg
40KB, 400x267px
>>2022701
It does beg the question as to why there aren't spinoffs for every period of earth's history.

To be fair, I don't expect Cambrian Park would have much in the way of heartstopping terror.
>>
File: north+vs+south+redux.jpg (218KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
north+vs+south+redux.jpg
218KB, 1000x800px
>>2028477
As I mentioned here >>2028600 tyrannosaurus legs and tail show it to be relatively fast and agile, and much more so than most theropods.
If we look at the pubic bone, it is clearly broader, thicker and with a greater raise on the top than that of most theropods and seem to hoist more leg muscle due to these factors. This means potentially faster.

The main problem with tyrannosaurus in terms of speed was the simple fact that it is also the thickest, broadest and most robust large bipedal animal to have eaten meat we have found. This makes it likely slower than what it should have otherwise have been.
Tyrannosaurus was mostly built to be a bruiser able to withstand a lot of damage, able to hoist more muscle and have ruthless confrontational battles. But the factors of tyrannosaurus legs, tail and hip cannot be ignored.
This is why I personally believe tyrannosaurus speed was logically 20-25 mph (possibly a bit more; possibly 30 mph) for at least a short distance.
This is still pretty fast for such a massive animal, which is evidently about (if not almost) as fast as an edmontosaurus and definitely much faster than a triceratops.
>>
File: dinosaurs_marunouchi_6668.jpg (237KB, 1049x698px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaurs_marunouchi_6668.jpg
237KB, 1049x698px
>>2028600
Oops. That image is too small.

here is a proper size version.
>>
File: 5420424748_dde2ae5dfb_b.jpg (119KB, 1024x405px) Image search: [Google]
5420424748_dde2ae5dfb_b.jpg
119KB, 1024x405px
>>2028612
>>
File: 2013-01-11b.jpg (481KB, 1200x913px) Image search: [Google]
2013-01-11b.jpg
481KB, 1200x913px
>>2028613
>>
>>2028616
you've got a very nice collection of atokensis pics for some reason.

saved.
>>
>>2028603
Looks like a seamonkey.
>>
>>2028606
Why did T-rex need such a buff upper body?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (1KB, 75x75px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
1KB, 75x75px
Giant lizardas
>>
Wait, is this a scaly T-Rex or a feathery one? This is important.
>>
>>2028754
1. It was likely because tyrannosaurs developed more hostile relations with each other as evident by the highly common bone scares seen on so many specimens. Broader and powerful tyrannosaurs were simply the most likely to survive.
2. Tyrannosaurus was likely a very confrontational hunter. perhaps it had to be brutish in order to hunt prey designed specifically to fight back.

Such a design made tyrannosaurus more durable and able to inflict even more damage if they use their bodies as additional weapons.
>>
>>2028754
if you look again at the two you'll see rex had a much shorter chest area. The distance between the shoulder and the hip is shorter than in Acrocanthosaurus.

they had pretty much the same amount of organs, but Tyrannosaurus had a shorter chest to fit them in. So the chest is wider to fit all those organs.
>>
>>2029164
Nope. It is about the chest areas are the same length. But tyrannosaurus tarsal neck and head was clearly much thicker.
Compare >>2028612 >>2028613 >>2028616
With: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Sue_side_full_%28Field_museum%29.png
This link is based on a file too large to post directly.

Plus tyrannosaurus bones were much more robust than acrocanthrosaurus or even gioganotosaurus (arguably the most robust in its entire family). This much is irrefutable based on the actual specimens themselves, which all seem to be very well preserved with the tarsals especially preserved.
>>
File: Anomalocaris.jpg (31KB, 600x533px) Image search: [Google]
Anomalocaris.jpg
31KB, 600x533px
>>2028730
That's anomalocaris, which was a very primitive arthropod about a meter (3 ft) long. It was evidently the top predator during the Cambrian Period.
>>
>>2029195
>It is about the chest areas are the same length
the Giganotosaurus is 3% longer total
The distance from the centerline of the proximal scapula to the acetabulum is 18% longer in Giganotosaurus.
The distance from the proximal humerus to the center of the pubic boot is 8% longer in Giganotosaurus.

the width of the chest is 25% wider in rex.

they aren't the same size, the Tyrannosaurus is drawn with a significantly shorter, wider chest.
>>
>>2029195
>tyrannosaurus tarsal neck and head was clearly much thicker.
the size of the tarsus has nothing to do with the size of the chest.

unless you're telling us rex had a 25% wider chest because its bones were thicker, but if that's the case its ribs would have to be something like a meter thick.
>>
>>2029207
>the Giganotosaurus is 3% longer total
That so slight it would matter to next to nothing. The builds and designs are totally different and would make a significant difference when considering they are roughly the same size. The results speak for themselves>>2028606

>The distance from the centerline of the proximal scapula to the acetabulum is 18% longer in Giganotosaurus.
I have no reason to believe that. MUCPv-95>>2028606 tarsal is about the same length, despite its body in total being slightly longer. Giganotosaurus tarsal was actually very well preserved. It appear that giganotosaurus actually had a proportionately smaller tarsal than even acrocanthrosaurus
http://www.childslife.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/giants-Giganotosaurus1.jpg
https://dinosours.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/dpp_0012.jpg
>>2028613
Now compare that to this in terms of proportions: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Sue_side_full_%28Field_museum%29.png
At best, the biggest giganotosaurus had a tarsal about the same length as t. rex

>The distance from the proximal humerus to the center of the pubic boot is 8% longer in Giganotosaurus.
At best, that's because tyrannosaurus pubic boot is much larger, thicker and is even pointed more forward... Pretty explicit and would not matter.

>"the width of the chest is 25% wider in rex."
Nonsense and an utterly ironic lie. Scott Hartman even explained this before >>2028606 keep in mind that what you are looking at is giganotosaurus specimen MUCPv-95 compared to T. rex Sue.
MUCPv-95 is the biggest giganotosaurus supposedly found, with MUCPvCH1 being even thinner.
The biggest giganotosaurus in recorded history is clearly, undoubtedly much thinner.

>they aren't the same size, the Tyrannosaurus is drawn with a significantly shorter, wider chest
Excluding giganotosaurus neorospine ridge, the depth actually appear even thicker on tyrannosaurus. In terms of sheer volume, there is no question which is thicker
>>
>>2029231
I measured off of the drawing you posted. In the drawing T. rex's chest is 25% wider and 18% shorter shoulder to hip.

also I'm not sure what you mean by tarsal. You know that's part of the foot, right?
>>
>>2028763
They were more like feathery archosaurs, which are actually more related to crocodiles than lizards. But dinosaurs themselves were more related to modern birds than ancient reptiles.
>>
>>2011685
are dinosaurs not thunder lizards?
>>2013837
are those not reptile brains? someone educate me with articles and more I love learning about dinosaurs.
>>
>>2029954
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wilsonja/JAW/Publications_files/Larsson%26al2000.pdf
>>
File: 110831160032_1_900x600.jpg (44KB, 735x600px) Image search: [Google]
110831160032_1_900x600.jpg
44KB, 735x600px
>>2027289
But, there is no direct evidence to suggest dinosaurs are dumb. In fact, the way measuring intelligence is remained debatable. For instance, the once considers "unintelligent" reptile have some species demonstrate high degree of learning and intelligence, for example: monitor lizard and america anole http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/2013/05/31/green-anole-intelligence-researchers-shocked-by-lizard-brainpower/#.VouGR5MrJ-U.

Back to the point, there are no direct ways proving prehistoric animals are dumb or intelligent since no living animals to conclude the study; however, there are some dinosaurs fossils indicate some dinosaurs may have levels of interactions with other dinosaurs or even other animals. In fact, some t-rex fossils have sign of damaged tails. The damaged tails are lethal to t-rex because the tails are used for balancing during running and severe tails damage could lead to fatal infection, yet, the fossil also an interesting study. That t-rex lived past through adulthood based on the recovered sign on the tails, which was consider impossible that damage tail could have prevent t-rex from hunting, which made t-rex starved to death. Thus, there is a theory believes that t-rexs could have live in group that the different members of the group took care the ill one, just like some mammals do today. Also, there are some vary sizes of allosaurus buried together in one location, further indicating the possibility of the hypothesis.

Although those are still speculations, the point for those thing just to rectify my statement, "We don't know anything but finding plausible evidences or support to back up the statement rather than cut to the conclusion right away". I can say Einstein knew anything because his high IQ, but he had some lackluster intelligence performance too, same thing applies to everyone.
>>
>>2011308
>Trex=a lizard
First, t-rex is not a giant lizard. In fact, far from it.
>Dinosaurs and reptiles are brainless
You cannot conclude that to dinosaurs, which are extinct. Also, some monitor lizards, crocodilians, and even lizards are quite cunning and intelligent too.
>Brains size= Intelligence
Not always the case either. Then, how can you explain there are so many dumb women still like Justin Bieber or bunch of anime fans fight over each other for meaningless arguments? Yes, they have big "brains". But, are they intelligent? I don't think so.
>>
>>2011970
You should double check that. Cause you're real fucking wrong, friend.
>>
>>2022704
Who the fuck even watched this?
>>
>>2030962
kids
millions of kids
>>
>>2030906
A more likely conclusion is that having a damaged tail is not a death sentence after all.

And as surprisingly smart monitor lizards can be, it doesn't even compare with how intelligent elephants are.
>>
>>2031001
It is only a conjecture. I did not specify the damaged tail is the half of tail fell off completely. That is pretty bad for the creatures that use tails to balance their large bodies.
>>
>>2031042
Then maybe it relied on ambushing, scavenging, hunting smaller slower prey. All more likely than trexes living in packs that feed the disabled.
>>
>>2031055
But there are other fossils records of t-rex teeth mark on some large dinosaurs' bones, best known are the adult triceratops, whose wound recovered afterward. Forgot to mention, several t-rexs fossil indicate signs of recovered bone fractures, most likely results from running and fighting.
>>
>>2022704
I thought the new one coming up was their second movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmm1JhygIo
>>
File: jiving playboy.gif (898KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
jiving playboy.gif
898KB, 300x225px
>>2011213
Does the mammoth have prep time?
>>
File: d_1185.jpg (37KB, 307x412px) Image search: [Google]
d_1185.jpg
37KB, 307x412px
>>2029239
Sorry for the slight typo. I meant to say torsal.
>>
>>2032090
>I meant to say torsal.
torso?
I think you're trying to say torso.
>>
>>2032090
>torsal
max kek
It's thoracal you retarded mongrel.
>>
>>2032112
he's using it as a noun, so it's got to be either torso or thorax.
>>
>>2032110
I appreciate the grammatical correction.
>>
File: tumblr_nbgpldtROg1qz5q5lo1_400.gif (935KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbgpldtROg1qz5q5lo1_400.gif
935KB, 400x225px
>>2032112
Oh no, a grammatical error.
>>
>>2011970
you're thinking of tyrannosaurus and stegosaurus. Triceratops and tyrannosaurus were both alive in the cretaceous period, and in the same region
>>
>>2030962
saw it in the theater with little cousins.
it was ok.
>>
a T-rex alpha male win brobabli
>>
Not only did tyrannosaurus and triceratops live during the same time and same regions, but there are many instances of the two fighting based on the fossil records.

There was even an instance where a triceratops showed strong signs of having its head torn off by a tyrannosaurus.

http://www.nature.com/news/how-to-eat-a-triceratops-1.11650

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/did-tyrannosaurus-ever-battle-triceratops-95464192/?no-ist
>>
>>2011213
Ah a battle as old as time itself.
Seems like a 50/50 shot depending on who gets the first hit in
rex's jaws are made for maximum trama tearing out huge chunks of meat and muscle where ever rex bit, a good bite to the leg or flank would be a crippled mammoth, plus rex did hunt near mammoth sized prey like Triceratops and Edmontosaurus

The Mammoth defiantly has the weight advantage if it could just knock the rex down with either a charge or trunk swat it could simply trample it breaking the rexes legs ribs or just outright kill it.
>>
>>2032530
Woolly mammoths area specific species of mammoth, and it weight 4.4-6.6 tons. Tyrannosaurus weighed at least 7-9.5 tons.
>>2026640
Despite popular belief or cinema, woolly Mammoths are big, but pretty small by modern proboscidea standards>>2028409
>>
>>2032561
wholly mammoths are smaller then asian elephants, everything i know is a lie
>>
File: Tyrannosaurus.jpg (130KB, 1037x770px) Image search: [Google]
Tyrannosaurus.jpg
130KB, 1037x770px
>>2028815
Depends on the species of Tyrannosaurus.

If only this were true.
>>
>>2033533
I think both versions would have looked the same. Scales have been found with t.rex. feathers are strongly suggested because of other earlier members of its family. Either way, t. rex was more than large enough to have a very warm body without the need of feathers.
So t. rex seem to have been mostly scaly with some feathers on the head, neck and back.
>>
>>2035337
>t. rex seem to have been mostly scaly with some feathers on the head, neck and back.
except we have skin impressions from the neck. No feathers.

it's only a matter of time before we get skin from the neck and back. There won't be feathers there either. We already have skin from the back of Tarbosaurus, it didn't have feathers there either.
>>
>>2035420
I meant on the top of the neck, not all around like some sort of mane.
>>
>>2035446
you're assuming that part of the animal has feathers and part doesn't, and somehow ALL OF THE 20+ SKIN IMPRESSIONS WE HAVE SOMEHOW CAME FROM THE UNFEATHERED PART.

the odds of that happening are about 2 million to one against. There's a one in 2,000,000 chance you're right. And it keeps getting worse every time a new skin patch is found without feathers. And more will be found. There are several sitting unpublished in a certain museum at this very moment.
>>
Why the hell was shit so fucking big back then?
>>
>>2035569
both times the size is related to poor fodder.

Herbivores that eat poor quality food need to be huge so they can eat lots of it. Huge animals digest worthless plants more efficiently.

During T. rex's time there was less oxygen in the air, and more CO2. The extra CO2 made plants grow larger, but also less nutritious. This loss of nutrition resulted in gigantic herbivores, and gigantic predators to kill them.

Mammoths are a bit different since elephants in general normally eat terrible food. The plants that mammoths evolved to eat were slightly less nutritious than modern plants because of different carbon isotope utilization.
>>
>>2035614
So eating grass leads to bigger animals? (Obviously I'm simplifying, but you get the gist of my question)

Rather uninformed when it comes to historic issues like this.
>>
>>2035638
sort of.
grass is actually pretty nutritious compared to what these guys ate.

but yeah, in general the worse a food is the more the animal has to eat, and the more it has to eat the bigger it gets.

you can see the same thing with whales and whale sharks in the ocean. Abundant, relatively worthless food makes huge animals.
>>
>>2035641
Well, I thought the size of those animals was due to the lack (or seeming lack) of gravity. The lack of a forces pushing downwards on their bodies because of buoyancy balancing them out an what not. I don't know.
>>
this needs to be a movie
>>
>>2035646
the balancing of gravity allows the size, but the poor food source causes it.
>>
>>2035665
why didn't they develop to eat other shit then? Because they were focussed on eat grass shit which kinda worked so their bodies just adapted as it is less of a change than changing the food source?
>>
>>2035678
evolution doesn't work in reverse. Dollo's Law.

what happens is the animal specializes to eat a certain diet, and when that diet becomes scarce it can't undo the specializations, it has to become even more specialized.

for example imagine a cow. it's evolved to be large in order to eat grass. If grass suddenly becomes scarce, it can't just turn to eating meat or fruit because it simply doesn't have the organs necessary. It can only become even more specialized, say by eating bushes and small trees. This means even worse food than before, and the animal gets larger.

it's possible for smaller generalist feeders to change diets, but once an animal becomes a large specialist there's no going back. It can only get larger and more specialized in most cases.

this progression is called Cope's Rule. Animals tend to get larger in a lineage. And specialization of diet is usually the reason behind Cope's Rule.
>>
This is the most informative thread I've read in a long time. Thank you all.
>>
File: elephant_sign.jpg (31KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
elephant_sign.jpg
31KB, 500x326px
>>2011213
Are we done here?
>>
>>2035641
>you can see the same thing with whales and whale sharks in the ocean.
but the food whales eat is on the bottom of the food chain and is being eaten by tons of different species which didn't evolve to show an abnormal size, right? also the "needs to be bigger to eat more" makes kinda sense but the bigger it is the more it needs to eat too. sounds like a never ending race, no? especially with the sizes some animals reach like whales and dinosaurs. do animals need less energy per pound the more pounds they have?
>>
Let me just point out that Tyrannosaurus had a superior body as not only was he built to take down creatures the same size or larger, but he had a superior respritory system: a 4-chambered heart plus lungs sacks, which means he got far more oxygen out of the air and therefore more energy. Rex was pretty intelligent but also ravonous, which means more brute force and need to take down his prey with an additional advantage of figuring out basic strategy. The Mammoth is built for lasting in the cold and fending off small predators.
>>
>>2038066
>Rex was pretty intelligent but also ravonous
how would you know that without observing the behavior?
>>
>2038072
There is fossil evidence to indicate how these creatures hunted and by studying the brain structure which they can recreate by scanning the skull.
>>
>>2038058
>but the food whales eat is on the bottom of the food chain and is being eaten by tons of different species which didn't evolve to show an abnormal size, right?
neither statement is strictly true, krill isn't the bottom of the food chain and there aren't that many animals evolved to eat it. But the principle is true enough. Grasshoppers and cows both eat grass, but grasshoppers aren't particularly large compared to a cow. So eating poor food doesn't necessarily make an animal gigantic, the quality of the food is already relative to the size of an animal. To a cow, grass is very poor food. To a grasshopper it's extremely good food.
>sounds like a never ending race, no?
exactly. Over time small animals evolve larger and then go extinct. It happens over and over. I imagine it sped up in my mind like flowers growing, blooming and dying at high speed over and over again. It's a constant pattern in most evolution.
>do animals need less energy per pound the more pounds they have?
yes.
>>
>>2038089
>There is fossil evidence to indicate how these creatures hunted
not really.
>and by studying the brain structure which they can recreate by scanning the skull
I've looked at a few tyrannosaurus endocasts.
Frankly they were dumber than a box of hammers. One of the stupider animals to ever walk the earth. On a par with crocodiles or the average 4chan user. Meat robots. Big fleshy idiots.

>inb4 crocodiles are really smart they play and hunt in packs and use tools
>>
>>2038094
>Grasshoppers and cows both eat grass, but grasshoppers aren't particularly large compared to a cow. So eating poor food doesn't necessarily make an animal gigantic, the quality of the food is already relative to the size of an animal.
so when an animal is forced to switch the food it eats the following evolution is influenced by the relative nutrition value compared to the size of the animal. a small animal eating grass isn't going to grow in size because it is relatively nutritious whereas a larger animal would grow even larger?
of course it's heavily simplified and there are numerous other factors that contribute. also i'm not a native speaker and i hope that first sentence is understandable.
>>
>>2038118
>a small animal eating grass isn't going to grow in size because it is relatively nutritious whereas a larger animal would grow even larger?
yes.

where the idea holds true is in the relative size of the animal compared to animals it's related too, i.e. a cow is relatively larger than a rabbit, and a grasshopper is relatively larger than a cutworm, but we can't really compare cows to grasshoppers because other factors than diet control the size of insects as compared to mammals.

Also the switch to larger size comes with a change in diet. An animal that eats nuts and seeds and never switches to any other diet can stay the same size indefinitely. If it switches to eating grass it's going to need to get bigger though. And if it then switches to eating twigs and leaves it's going to get bigger still. And that's what usually drives the growth in size. At some point the preferred diet becomes scarce and the animal is forced to switch to less nutritious foods which forces them to get larger. Almost never does an animal's food become scarce so it switches to a better food source. Evolution favors the exploitation of extremely common foods which are usually not very nutritious.
>>
>>2038125
thank you very much for taking the time to explain this. this is really interesting and i think i understand it now.
>>
>>2038132
My pleasure.
>>
>>2038125
>if it switches to eating grass it's going to need to get bigger though
Why?
If at all, would it not just be natural development for it to get bigger because it just eats so much?
>>
>>2038166
>Why?
when you switch to a less nutritious food source you need to eat more of it. That means your gut needs to be bigger. So the whole animal winds up being bigger to hold the bigger gut.
>would it not just be natural development for it to get bigger because it just eats so much?
no, that would fall into the category of Lamarckism, and that's not generally how evolution works.

for example you might gain 300 lbs by eating constantly, but that doesn't mean your kids will be larger than normal.
>>
What were the natural predators of mammoth, aside from humans?
>>
>>2038369
saber tooth cats, dire wolves, lions.
>>
>>2038376
lions and tigers don't hunt elephants, how do we know it was different for mammoths?
>>
>>2038387
lions do hunt elephants.
>>
>>2038389
no adults though?
>>
>>2038718
They sometimes do, but it is very rare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZW0EvMzSM

These lions were able to pull it off, but not even really just because of their numbers. they used the cover of night and the acknowledgement that elephants have poor night vision. This elephant's fear, excitement and panic also played against it and was exploited by the lions.
>>
>>2011994
>Using Wikipedia as your source
>Not the source linked to the claim on the page
/an/on you're better than this.
>>
>>2041432
>Not the source linked to the claim on the page
If I link to the source they'll just bitch about the paywall.

/an/ loves to pretend they have degrees in zoology or gardening or whatever, but not a damn one of you can back it up with a freaking JSTOR account. It's actually pretty funny. Pretending to have degrees and lecture at universities and stuff, but not having access to science at all.
>>
>>2035420
Werent there some naked skin patches found that resemble a plucked chicken?
>>
>>2041743
no, they all have geometrical scales.
>>
>>2035569
the majority of megafauna died out with the arrival of early humans. sticks and stones broke their bones.
>>
>>2038097
what would you say are the smartest dinosaurs? avians?
>>
>>2041990
can't tell if you're asking me which of the two is smarter, or if you want the smartest of each group.

to answer either interpretation - yes, avians are by far the smartest of the dinosaurs. The difference is like that between apes and geckos.

the smartest non-avian dinosaur would be Troodon, but it wasn't exactly brilliant. Its brain was somewhere between a crocodile and a pigeon, probably pretty fucking dumb.

The smartest avians are corvids and parrots, with crows, ravens and magpies being particularly intelligent. The smartest known avian was probably Alex the African grey parrot, but he's a case where training increased intelligence, similar to Koko the gorilla. Just like most gorillas aren't as intelligent as Koko, most parrots aren't as intelligent as Alex.

In all of these cases brain size was an accurate measure of relative intelligence. It probably held true with extinct animals as well.
>>
>>2041763
Not sure how reliable those patches are since they are undescribed, but here it is:
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Hell_Creek/ar/t19.htm

"Sereno mentions that he has the specimen in his lab and that it lacks true scales, and suggests that these areas could have bore feathers in life."

"Undescribed palm-sized patch found with a rib and caudal vertebrae showing "bird-like" naked skin likened by Detrich and Currie to a plucked chicken or an elephant's hide."

Anyway, i think feathers in tyrannosaurus is still 50/50, specially because hell creek must be quite shitty at preserving feathers.
>>
>>2042174
Sereno's is the only one of those that remains unpublished and undescribed.

Larson published an adequate description of "more than 12" patches including photographs.

Last year Larson published additional skin impressions from the BHI collection, they were published in lecture only.
>>
>>2042180
Sorry for my ignorance, but does being published mean there is an paper about those? And if thats the case, is it open acess?
>>
>>2042224
>does being published mean there is an paper about those?
yes.
>And if thats the case, is it open acess?
no.
you can find the text of Larson's initial publications on Amazon books as a free preview though.

just google "wyrex skin" and one of the links should take you to a search of the book it was first published in.
>>
>>2042231
my mistake, it's a Google books preview.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5WH9RnfKco4C&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=wyrex+skin&source=bl&ots=078MUX3EPq&sig=5jWkMlKngdZ_q_s4uEkDU7XU_kY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhlYr7tLnKAhUK2GMKHWVrAOs4ChDoAQgnMAI#v=onepage&q=wyrex%20skin&f=false
>>
>>2042234
>https://books.google.com/books?id=5WH9RnfKco4C&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=wyrex+skin&source=bl&ots=078MUX3EPq&sig=5jWkMlKngdZ_q_s4uEkDU7XU_kY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhlYr7tLnKAhUK2GMKHWVrAOs4ChDoAQgnMAI#v=onepage&q=wyrex%20skin&f=false

Thanks anon, btw whats your opnion on tyrannosauroids integument in life?
>>
>>2042273
my opinion is that tyrannosaurids lacked feathers of any kind.

My opinion is not in agreement with Holtz or pretty much any other expert on tyrannosauroids though. They however are convinced that Yutyrannus and Dilong are tyrannosauroids. I'm somewhat an expert on allosauroids, and I can't seen any particular reason feathered tyrannosauroids shouldn't actually be classified as allosauroids instead.
>>
>>2042352
Allosauroid expert? Cool, i remember a post in tetzoo talking about yutyrannus being a allosauroid, but im no expert so i cant talk about yutyrannus being a tyrannosauroid or allosauroid.

Changing the topic, i dont know your opnion on this, but i dont subscribe to the whole "allosaurus using its jaws as an axe" theory. Slamming your jaw into prey doesnt look like a good way to inflict damage and shouldnt be good to the animal's teeth.
>>
>>2042389
>but i dont subscribe to the whole "allosaurus using its jaws as an axe" theory
nobody does really. We just smile and nod because we all like Bob Bakker.

there was a pretty good paper published debunking the idea.

My own views are pretty simple. Bob based his hypothesis on the fact that the paroccipital processes of the exoccipital-opisthotic have a lot of ventral deflection in Allosaurus, producing greater than normal leverage when jerking the nose down. There's also a buttressing of the basal tubera of the basisphenoid. These morphologies have been found in some birds and also in sabertooth cats, and in both cases are interpreted as specialized muscles for stabbing or chopping downward with the head.

However they could just as easily be used for jerking the head down AFTER biting an animal, to rip off a chunk of flesh. So I think Bakker's interpretation is a bit weak, there are other better ways of looking at the occipital morphology of Allosaurus.
>>
>>2042413
Some birds? What ones exactly? Phorusrhacids come to mind, since the guys also were big predatory theropods.
>>
>>2042432
it was some wading birds, storks maybe.
I'd have to go read a few papers to figure it out. Bakker has published a couple papers on the subject.
>>
>>2042449
Hope im not pushing it too far, but i saw a interesting hypothesis in the web, about how allosaurus processed meat/bone, having some influences in how vultures process food:
http://antediluviansalad.blogspot.com.br/2015/08/allosaurus-more-of-vulture-than-falcon.html
>>
T-rex. Hands down.
>>
>>2042483
I like Nash, and I agree with him right up to about the part where the animal is sawing through large bones using both tooth rows. Sawing meat seems pretty likely, but sawing bone would probably just knock the tallest teeth right out of the face.

It's interesting that he mentions the D-shaped cross section of Allosaurus' premaxillary teeth though. This is one of the features used to assign Dilong and Yutyrannus to the Tyrannosauroidea. The fact that it's also found in Allosaurus gives some indication of the problems that may exist in claiming feathers for tyrannosauroids. In fact the D-shaped basal cross section and premaxillary heterodonty aren't the only overlaps between allosauroids and tyrannosauroids. Most of the features of the skull used to ID tyrannosauroids are found in Allosaurus and/or its descendants.
>>
>>2042483
e.g.-
>The premaxillary teeth at the front of the upper jaw are shaped differently from the rest of the teeth, smaller in size and with a D-shaped cross section.
from the Wikipedia article on Tyrannosauroidea.
>Allosaurus has teeth in the front of it's mouth that are D-shaped in cross section so, like tyrannosaurids, it could if it wanted to carefully pick meat off a skeleton without much incidental bone contact.
From Nash's blog post you linked.

This is just one of many features the two taxa share that were used to assign Yutyrannus and others to the Tyrannosauroidea. One of many reasons I believe Yutyrannus and others are incorrectly assigned.
>>
>>2042614
>>2042621

I cant really talk about yutyrannus being a allosauroid since im a amateur, but would that really rule out feathers for tyrannosauroids? I mean, they are still coelurosaurs right?

Also, if you dont agree with allosaurus "sawing" bones, what do you think of the allosaurus coprolite and the pubic bone thats was bitten by some theropod he talked about?

And how cursorial do you regard allosaurus as? I remember scott hartman guessing a 20mph speed and saying they didnt have much in cursorial adaptations. Now, sure they dont look as cursorial as tyrannosauroids or some abelisaurids like carnotaurus, but they dont look as slown as the short legged torvosaurus and ceratosaurus from the same enviorment.
>>
>>2042815
>they are still coelurosaurs right?
Advanced tyrannosaurids lack any coelurosaurian traits, so no. If their supposed coelurosaurian ancestors turned out to be allosauroids there's not much reason to think tyrannosaurs are coelurosaurians.
>what do you think of the allosaurus coprolite and the pubic bone thats was bitten by some theropod he talked about?
Allosaurus chewed and consumed bones, that's clear. I just don't see it sawing like a hacksaw on some thick old bone. If it did, it would still need to crush the bone up into smaller bits, and if it's capable of crushing bone, why saw it?

regarding the pubis, I've seen it many times. Last I knew it was in the collection of the Museum of Western Colorado, now Dinosaur Journey in Fruita. It doesn't really support his hypothesis because it WASN'T sawn to bits and swallowed. It was gnawed on some, but not cut up and eaten.
>how cursorial do you regard allosaurus as?
I don't have an opinion.

I would mention that speed is usually considered to be a function of tibia length as compared to femur length, and in that regard it's much faster than T. rex or other tyrannosaurids. Also afaik faster than Carnotaurus. Like other theropods, it was built for speed when it was young, but grew into a much slower adult. At any rate, the animals it preyed on as an adult weren't very fast.
Thread posts: 234
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.