[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

im what some might call a geek or nerd or whatever. thing is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_myc108zIII1stiialo1_500.png (309KB, 472x352px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myc108zIII1stiialo1_500.png
309KB, 472x352px
im what some might call a geek or nerd or whatever.

thing is i cant stand other geeks or nerds. i dont like being around them- the thought of being surrounded by them at a con repulses me (i went to one ONCE and never again).

i fucking hate the way the shit i used to love has been comoditized and has been packaged and marketed as a "culture" or "lifestyle" or as some kind of fucking identity.

fake or real geeks or whatever- i just cant stand to be around them. what is wrong with me? i know these people arent bad people- yet im filled with repulsion when im bombarded with this shit every where i look and go.
>>
Yeah I've been watching anime since the 80s but can't stand the spergs you see at cons or on /a/ nowadays.

Do you have any very close friends? I have two best friends now at age 30 and we're completely different types of people but we each love /vr/ and good anime. There are normal people out there who like the esoteric things you like. Or maybe even try to introduce your interests to a good friend you already have.
>>
>>16895169
>what is wrong with me?

Nothing, the geek fandom is just prolonged childhood/adolescence, and at the back of your mind you know that this stuff is just embarrassingly juvenile.

It's OK to indulge in it from time to time but geeks have formed a entire identity around it.
>>
>>16895192
yea im around 30 too and ive been playing video games and watching anime and horror movies since i was a kid.

i used to have close friends with similar interests who were more or less people who werent obnoxious retards, but since have moved away and started their own families. im pretty much friendless with the exception of a few online friends but i dont like to count them because i only know them as text and fucking picture.
>>
>>16895169
>what is wrong with me?
Nothing. You're just realizing that you're not a special and unique snowflake that you thought you were. Now, if you actively decline to accept that as a fact, then you have a problem.
>>
>>16895209
i never thought i was special.

i always thought i was just another jack off like anybody else.

i think there might be something worth exploring in what you say tho.
>>
everything just feels so superficial
>>
>>16895214
>i fucking hate the way the shit i used to love has been comoditized and has been packaged and marketed as a "culture" or "lifestyle" or as some kind of fucking identity.
>i never thought i was special.
You might want to recheck your first post against your latest one.
>>
>>16895209
Did you even read the post, tripfag-kun?

OP feels modern, young adult geek culture is primarily comprised of personality types he is repulsed by and therefore he struggles to find a social group or individual to share in his interests.

This had nothing to do with special snowflake stuff, you know, like the kind of loser who uses trips. OP seems to just have a normal personality.
>>
>>16895206
This, essentially.
>>
>>16895226
help me understand what you are saying.
>>
>>16895239
Butthurt weeaboo detected
How do you feel on the scale between anally assaulted and exithole entrenched?
>>
>>16895239
>OP seems to just have a normal personality.

lol
much of my childhood i was mocked for liking anime.

feels funny to hear somebody finally say it.
>>
Disregard my last post. I suck cocks.
>>
>>16895252
You fucking take that back. Having splenetic splutter-flaps doesn't mean I'm mad.
>>
>>16895169
Some of them are cringy. Like almost anything, people create an identity from being involved in a community. It gives people a place of belonging. Its the same as "metal head" and "punk". being a "geek" is becoming more normal now though. comic books, video games and collecting toys is massive. When i was about 13, video games where associated with out casts. Now almost every guy plays video game.
>>
>>16895357
i guess i dont understand the need to create an identity around something like this.
>>
File: boss of this office.gif (3MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
boss of this office.gif
3MB, 300x225px
>>16895169

There's two kinds of geeks. We will call them "retards" and "adults." Those labels alone will more or less explain what I mean, but I'll pontificate a bit in case you don't get it.

A "retard" is the sort of person who will never advance in whatever form of geekdom they're interested in. They are the people who still write fanfiction, still watch shounen anime, still play shitty no-brainer games like League of Legends, still go to cons, et cetera. As such they have never grown up, and this reflects in their physical bodies (often in the form of obesity, acne or unflattering hair) and personalities (which you have already mentioned in the OP; you consider it cringeworthy.) If this seems judgmental it's because it is. These are the sort of people who don't ever consider how they appear to others, and as such come off as immature, disgusting, unpleasant and petulant. They're manchildren, even if they're women.

An "adult" is someone who likes geeky things but is not defined by it, as they are balanced human beings. They make their own living, they seek to expand their interests, they have developed interest in things not related to being a geek and they blend into society rather than dressing like a bloated Hot Topic mannequin. They might still watch their favorite anime or play their favorite video games, and they might know a whole lot about something an ordinary normalfag would find weird. But these people aren't weird because their whole lives don't revolve around this fucking crap, they just happen to like it.

You want to look for adults. They're hard to find since they only make up about 10% of the overall geek population, but at least now you know how to identify them a little better.
>>
File: tumblr_mxkncjezxt1smreyio1_500.jpg (28KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxkncjezxt1smreyio1_500.jpg
28KB, 500x282px
The two main things about me is I'm vegetarian and a gun nut.

I hate both fucking communities around both.

I kind of know your pain.
>>
>>16895584
i see.
this is a revelation.

any idea how it got this bad?
>>
>>16895584
Everyone: this what we call "casual scum". Please, avoid at all costs or you will be barrage with "It's just a game, anon"
>>
>>16895618

It's easy to be docile when you don't live in a communist bloc or during a World War. Just look for those who haven't gone complacent or given up.
>>
>>16895622
Butthurt weeb detected
>>
>>16895660
Anon kun! Be nice, baka.
>>
Hi OP I am a femon and I am the same as you I fucken hate the people who share my interests. They are so fucken annoying they think that the only thing about life is figures or anime and that is it. They are not open minded and if you say the wrong title for a show they will hound you about it forever. They always say the wrong title but do not bother correcting them because if you do they will have a hissy fit. People often ask me why I do not like conventions and I tell them simply " I enjoy my hobby I have no need to pay over priced for stuff I can get else where just to be around people who also want to buy the same stuff as me."

They are just sheep ignore them OP more money to spend on our interests for us.
>>
>>16896067
What is with people and hating cons? What's wrong with having a gathering of people over a common interest? Are you so fucking socially retarded that you can't understand how cons can be a good thing? I've met some amazing people at cons and had tons of fun. But no, you're right, I'm just a sheep who follows the herd. I'll be out socializing with my friends and you can sit at home and gloat about how much better you are. Have fun!
>>
>>16895169

most geeks or nerds simply dont like the same things i like. i realized this in highschool. i thought i was an anime geek. but i wasnt. i liked specific anime, but not any of the mainstream stuff like naruto or death note or what have you.

so in reality, we are no different than normal people. its like saying 'i like TV, but i dont like stuff like game of thrones or the walking dead'.

you have an identity that runs deeper than 'geek'. so dont try to force yourself to hang out with them.
>>
>>16896095
I mistook this as pasta for a second.
>>
>>16896095
Err? This is what I mean about how con goers are bitter as fuck. Stay jelly that I do not have to make my friends at a nerd conventions because I am not an autist and that I have all my schooling finished and a career. But yeah enjoy your conventions I am sure that working a job at walmart the rest of your life to afford them is well worth it.
>>
File: 1457488470599s.jpg (14KB, 249x249px) Image search: [Google]
1457488470599s.jpg
14KB, 249x249px
>>16896115
You have a superiority complex like no other.

>...

jk I'm so proud of you anon!
>>
>>16896115
I have a degree, a car, a house, and make an average salary ($65k/year). Please, tell me more about how I'm a loser who has friends from going to cons.
>>
>>16896128
Thanks Anon!

>>16896130
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>16896136
I sleep pretty well, actually. I really don't want for much and my job gives me the means to travel to said cons. Please, stay bitter. I really hope the fantasy world you have in your head brings you peace.
>>
File: friends.jpg (32KB, 420x399px) Image search: [Google]
friends.jpg
32KB, 420x399px
>>16896146
So just because I do not like conventions or want anything to do with them yet can enjoy my hobby with others outside of conventions I am some delusional NEET? Nice try enjoy paying 100 dollars just to go talk to a bunch of smelly immature babies. Also enjoy your bootleg figures charged at full price.
>>
>>16896159
No, you can do that if you'd like. You are incorrect in discounting that cons are a viable place to meet other fans and make friends. It's alright, anon, I was a little defensive and angry before but I'm not anymore. I feel bad for you more than anything now. I wish you could have had the experiences I did so you would feel differently.
>>
>>16896159
He said that because you sounded hostile and upset, and also you were making insulting statements about him even though you know nothing about him.
>i dont understand internet arguments
>>
>>16896169
Enjoy your conventions but that is not for me. The community for that in my area is very toxic and its better not to associate with that. I went down that rabbit hole and ended up somewhere not good. I got out in time but for conventions in my area are not a good place to meet people. Not sure if it like this for the rest of the world but where I live all the people are obsessed with fame have no interest in the hobbies and only do it for attention or they very manipulative. I am not some weirdo either I work out and are in my mid 20s. Convention community may of been alright before 2010s but now it somewhere I would avoid at all cost. It has become something I want nothing to do with. It is hard to explain unless you have gone through and seen what they are live where I live.
>>
>>16896196
What else do you do with your life apart from work out? The average person is immature in other ways. The average guys doesn't really do much but play video games, watch tv and drink. Average girl doesn't do much but talk to guys, watch tv and drink.

I have read your argument and i agree that some geeks are cringy, however the average person isn't much better.
>>
>>16896196
I'm not sure what your cons are like but you make it sound like a underground criminal gathering and not a nerd con. I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience. Best of luck to you out there.
>>
>>16896231
I guess that is true but I have a bad past with people with the same interests as me. They just really irritate me to the point of no return I rather any day deal with a normie than a cringing manipulative nerd.

I draw, watercolour , bike, bird watch, photography, calligraphy, gardening ( I would love to study horticulture), knit, I am big into crafts I have made a bunch of cool things I enjoy browsing /diy/, I fix up old furniture, wood working, I love to study biology in my free time, I read a lot of different types of books mostly mythology and have been reading a lot on black smiting that is another hobby I would love to pick up once I find the space for it and an instructor. I like to dabble in a lot of things I am always finding new hobbies to keep me busy and passionate. Most of the hobbies I do have to do with animals or working with my hands though.

I own my own business taking care of animals and also do freelance photography, graphic design and web design. How I have my business set up is I basically can do my freelancing while I take care of animals its pretty cool. I got offered last week to redesign the website for the lead photographer for some of Drake's albums, things are going pretty comfy. Lots of hard work though.
>>
>>16896257
> underground criminal gathering and not a nerd con
May as well be there was some people pimping out underage girls. I left after I had to report them to the police.
>>
>>16896289
Oh yeah I also involved in politics for my area I work sometimes for the government so that I can encourage younger people to vote or put effort to make a difference however they see that is.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.