[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any advantages to learning a new language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1442850443003.jpg (97KB, 861x1170px) Image search: [Google]
1442850443003.jpg
97KB, 861x1170px
Are there any advantages to learning a new language?
>>
>>16882433
Yes.
>>
Yes, it always looks good on a resume, it's kinda special when you talk to a native person on a trip or something...and you feel extremly cool when you realize you can understand this language
>>
Don't respond. Brandon makes the same thread everyday
>>
>>16882433
no none
>>
>>16882433
No, English is enough for life.
>>
>>16882433
Other than experiencing new adventures, new culture, and meeting hot womenz, not really. English is pretty universal.

I taught myself Russian.
>>
>>16882433
It makes travel a lot easier, looks good on resumes, expands your cursing vocabulary and is more versatile than you think if you life in or near an area where it's spoken. I say go for it.
>>
>>16882678

And by every day it means "literally made a thread about this 8 hours ago."

Go away Brandon.
>>
>>16882433
If you learn another language that is common in your area, jobs will pay you extra for being bilingual. It all depends on the field of work you are going into for it to be beneficial.

If the career has you interacting with diverse groups of people, it will be helpful.

Other than that, I can't see too much use for it. Other than leisure activities like traveling
>>
>>16882433

Questionable. It's been shown to increase your IQ by about 5 points, which mainly relates to stopping age-related decline, rather than increasing it over your 30 year old peak.

I don't really use some of the languages I know, ever. It would be useful if I was rich to the point of not having to work or maybe managing an international corp, and even then, only German, Mandarin, Arabic, and Russian would be useful. Maybe Jap and French.

>>16882667
>>16883540

Nobody cares about you knowing other languages except for Spanish in collection call center jobs. I did have one job offer for database support in German, but guess what? At that point they are basically hiring a translator.

>>16883496

This is pretty much true. Whereas you HAVE to learn English if your first language is anything else, but that mostly doesn't apply to people reading this thread.
>>
>>16883555
My job wants Spanish, Chinese, or sign language. Spanish is a big one though. But that's what you'd have to learn if you want it to be beneficial.

Do you want to learn a language that you like or one that will benefit you? If it's just for leisure, then go ahead and learn what you want.
>>
>>16883622

What job do you have? My guess it's some service or working with disabled/elderly/etc people shit job and you get a $2 bonus for an added language. Am I right? I am not even trying to be a dick - I just know what kinds of job require languages.

>Do you want to learn a language that you like or one that will benefit you? If it's just for leisure, then go ahead and learn what you want.

>just for leisure

Enjoy spending 3 hours a day for the next 6 months only to forget it when you never use it.
>>
>>16883630
I work for a public school in an area that is mostly Hispanic and Chinese, so yea, you hit the nail on the head. But yea, it all depends on the area and the work. Learning sign and becoming a speech teacher, that's good money for just a school district job considering their pay (in my area) can exceed 90k per year.

Plus, learning sign and working for colleges is a decent way to earn extra money. I know enough to basically communicate, and if there are deaf people in my courses, I take their notes and help them study. I get an extra 200 bucks per semester to do that.
>>
>>16883640

You are actually a rare case where it may be meaningful for you, and you truly help people out by being able to communicate with them. Good for you - again, I genuinely mean it, not the sarcastic "good for you."
>>
>>16883630

Not the guy you're talking to, but knowing any major foreign language in my city is a huge benefit, even though Spanish is the next most prevalent language to English here. The industry dictates it, and will hire people outside of the city and pay to move them here because finding fluent speakers is a difficult thing.

My buddy speaks French and makes BANK working on SAP implementation for American and French companies. Even he admits he's not the most qualified for the job if it comes down to really knowing the platform, but being able to bridge the gap between companies means he's a valuable asset to the company.
>>
>>16883645
Well, I don't know what OP wants to do with the language, so I was just mentioning a field of work where it is beneficial to be bilingual and just wanted to say how it benefits me to give an example.

I am fluent in Dutch just because of my family, but no one at my work gives two shits about that.
>>
>>16883647

>
My buddy speaks French and makes BANK working on SAP implementation for American and French companies. Even he admits he's not the most qualified for the job if it comes down to really knowing the platform, but being able to bridge the gap between companies means he's a valuable asset to the company.

See here: >>16883555 - it was for SAP as well. I turned it down because of shit pay. But yea, it's realistic but also fairly uncommon. Note that SAP isn't exactly a common skill either, and it's not guaranteed to be SAP - could be Oracle, could be SQL, etc. It's hard to get the right combination.

>>16883669

I still maintain that it's very unlikely that a language will be helpful with anything unless it's English. I haven't used 3 of the languages I know in a decade except maybe 2 times with some random people I met for an hour.
>>
It depends... I work as an interpreter (sometimes translator, when the project is of my interest) and learning Mandarin is by far the best thing I did for my career.

For Interpretations from English to Spanish (or viceversa) I charge $250 per hour. Now, from Mandarin to English/Spanish I charge $400 the hour. Take in consideration I charge in dollars so the payments turn out to be huge in the local coin of my thrid world shit country.
>>
>>16883689

You are SO full of shit. I have a friend in Shanghai who teaches Mandarin to US executives. He makes like $20 an hour and it's the top end of what's possible. Translators don't make shit because everyone knows English and obviously their native language.
>>
>>16883688

Okay, regardless of that, we have huge demand for Korean speakers, Japanese speakers, shit, anything. I just picked a random one out of a hat, but tourism is a huge industry where I'm from, and I don't just mean fielding shit for call centers.

I'm not saying this is the case in all places, but if you're smart, driven, and know a unique language, there's probably a place to land. If you're a plumber that speaks Mandarin, that might not be all that helpful.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.