[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jealousy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

I've been having problems with my jealously towards another artists.
I've been practicing for 9 years but I never have courage to show my drawings to the public. Lately, I met a person who's also an artist which has been into this for 7 years (almost) and she's way better than I am, so when I see her drawings I start to feel sick and cry uncontrollably until I'm really far from this person.
What can I do about this reaction? What should I do to stop crying on times like this?
>>
>>16861110
Don't compare your art to that of others', only compare it to your old art. See how you've improved. Redraw old art to prove to yourself that you're continuously getting better. Focus on yourself only, but do take inspiration from the techniques of other people to help be where you want to be.
>>
Had same problem when I was younger.

Mature, realize that you're not and never will be the best artist and that there are 9 year olds who are better than you. Accept that fact and focus on getting better.

Just like you'll never be the prettiest, smartest or richest person in the world. There's always someone better so stop acting so entitled.
>>
>>16861119
The problem is that I discarded all of my old drawings, and from all my experience, I didn't improve that much, I can't even drawn scenarios with perspective or finish with ink. For a person like me drawing for 9 years it's a humiliation to see someone younger doing better than me.
>>
>>16861110
Art is in the eye of the beholder. What seems inferior to you may well be exactly what someone else likes. But you'll never know until you let someone else see your work.
>>
>>16861312
You can't tell how much you improve if you throw away all your old stuff. It's because improvement is so gradual that you don't notice it happening, it's like when you were a kid you never realized you were getting bigger until all of a sudden you could see onto the countertop or reach a shelf you never could before.

Keep your old things. They're going to suck and you're probably going to hate them but keep them anyways, locked in a drawer out of sight until enough time has passed for you to feel okay with them again.

The best way to improve at art, in the meantime, is through practice and study. People say that practice makes perfect the I saw someone else rephrase it better: practice makes permanent. If you always draw the same thing, never make an effort to learn how to do something correctly, never push yourself past where you are then you're going to be stuck in the same place forever. You can't learn how to draw hands if you avoid drawing them because you know you suck at hands.

The only way to not suck is to meet the challenge head on. Study, use references both drawl and real, push your boundaries and try new things and do stuff you've never done before.

I used to say that I sucked at backgrounds. But the only reason I sucked is because I never did them. Then all of a sudden I had a project where I had to do backgrounds, and lots of them. So I started with the simplest and worked my way up to the hardest and it took time and effort but now I am good at them, and people see them and say it looks great and ask how I did it and the only reason is because I just sat down and did it anyways.

There is always going to be someone who is better. Instead of being discouraged by that, look at what they did. Dissect their work, look at the choices they made, analyze their methods and learn their secrets and pick and choose things that you want to try out, too.
>>
>>16861356
I know the only way to improve it's through studying, but I get so nervous trying something new that I barely make drawings, and when I do it takes months only to finish a sketch.
It's almost like a phobia, I'm always afraid of failing, this makes me feel so bad while drawing that most of the time the lines are shaky and blurred because of the sweat on my hands. Lately I bought a book about some techniques for manga drawings, and I tried to follow them, but I feel discouraged just by looking at the images like the person's drawings that I was talking about.
>>
>>16861110

Could you post a example of your work?
>>
>>16861216
Not OP but want to ask something.
Honestly asking, why would anyone tries to get better when they know that they will always be an average person?
>>
>>16861622
A funny thing about perfectionists is that they often don't end up doing stuff because they're too fearful of the inevitable mistakes. it's easier to not do something than to do something imperfectly.

I think this is the first issue you need to address. Right now you're overwhelmed by the vicious cycle of needing to make mistakes to improve but being so afraid of them that you can't do anything until you improve.

The way you treat a phobia is by acclimating yourself to the phobia gradually, in a controlled and safe manner. You need to push yourself to work anyways, and let yourself make mistakes.

Try setting a time whee you absolutely concretely work every day. All you have to do is draw something. It can be a circle, it can be a box, it can be a smiley face. it doesn't matter. Draw as much and as long as you can and stop before you freak out. And keep doing this every day. The idea is to push yourself a little more every time. It's okay to have bad days where you don't do anything, but as long as your average gets longer and longer, you're making progress. Remember that nobody is going to see this unless you want them to.
>>
File: 20160206_205213.jpg (400KB, 1600x960px) Image search: [Google]
20160206_205213.jpg
400KB, 1600x960px
>>16861663
It's an unfinished sketch I've done last month. I have another drawing from this week if you wanna see...
>>
>>16861725
Personal improvement and gratification. I can draw the ideas that are in my head and bring them to life for other people to enjoy. I might not be the best but I can be good enough to do what I want, how I want to do it, and have fun doing it.
>>
>>16861746
This is actually a lot better than I expected. You've got a good basis of anatomy and proportion. It's not quite there but it's close.

I suggest studying musculature a little more, and working on constructing faces. but seriously, you've got a good basis here.

I suggest googling "kitajami gifs" and saving those as references. The breakdown of musculature from lots of angles is absolutely invaluable, I have used it more times than i can count.
>>
>>16861110

focus on projects that give validation. making a really piece of art is hard to convince anyone to look at, let alone comment, let alone positively.

but if you find a good story you can draw a comic, or make an animation and even if its not great, people will enjoy it for what it is, because its a story. there was a really crappily animated series called care bear stars, another called elemental goddess.

silly little wannabe animes made on paint and later photoshop. really simple shows that got hundreds of thousands of views and comments because people just like a story.

do that. or do a comic. something like that.
>>
>>16861746
Check out the books in the /ic/ sticky. You just have to keep constantly motivating yourself. You should be inspired by other artists to become better. I do understand your pain though. There are people I know that don't even take drawing seriously and they draw amazing portraits. But then again they can only draw what they see and suck at everything else.
>>
File: tumblr_njbdjfbdpk1silui2o1_1280.jpg (240KB, 653x902px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njbdjfbdpk1silui2o1_1280.jpg
240KB, 653x902px
>>16861746

Okeey, please don't see this comment as offensive or anything, I'm trying to help.

If this is the level you've reached in 9 years you've not been putting in a lot of effort.
You lack a huge amount of fundamentals, if you want to improve you have to understand what you're trying to stylize aka the human body.
Right now you're drawing what you think it should look like, instead of drawing what you actually see.
Learn how to construct a body(or whatever really) and apply your prefered style to it.

Look up Proko on youtube it's a good start.
Draw from life or look up nude model classes they help a lot.(and they're cheap most of the time)

Just to show you that I'm not completely talking out of my ass I've attached a image I made myself about a year ago.

Talent is only 5% of your potential the rest is hard work.
>>
>>16861861
I understand what you said. The thing is, I been practicing through books and images for reference, even if I feel sick looking for them, it still hard for me to work because I have difficulty to learn things, no matter which one is. It's not just a specific problem, it's with everything. I've trying to learn every kind of different skills like playing guitar, write, cook, and drawing. This my last chance and the only one that I have hope. If I can't be capable of solving this problem, then there'll be nothing in this world that I could do without failing miserably.
Sorry if I went too far. I'm still frustrated because of this since morning.
>>
>>16861789
>>16861738
Thanks guys, I'll try a little more. And if it doesn't work, should I ask help for a psychologist?
>>
>>16862323
If your perfectionism is pervasive and ruining your life, then cognitive behavioral therapy will probably help.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.