[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Ask somebody in the top 1% anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: 1407994029563.gif (4MB, 368x407px) Image search: [Google]
1407994029563.gif
4MB, 368x407px
Hi /adv/, I'm in the top 1% and am happy to answer any questions anyone may have. Maybe it'll be helpful for anybody else?
>>
gibe moni plos
>>
>>16858973
How do I get rich if I'm too broke to go back to school and have no marketable skills?
>>
>>16858973
Where should i start networking?
>>
>>16858994
Hi anon, here's how to think about school. College is like a modeling agency. If you're ugly and go to a modeling agency and learn how to walk down a runway, you're still going to be ugly. Modeling agencies only do 1 thing and 1 things only - they pick good looking people out of the crowd. That's what colleges do. It's called "signaling" and some economists won the Nobel Prize in 2001 for their work on signaling. Knowing that, the question for you is the following with regard to your own "intrinsic" capabilities: "Are you ugly or good looking?" Let me put it another way: "Are you a hard worker? Or are you lazy? Are you disciplined and conscientious? Or are you a slacker?" If you're a hard worker, go to school, take out tons of student loans. It doesn't matter. You'll pay them back easily over the course of your career. If you know that you don't have the right "intrinsics" then don't go to college. Make sense?
>>
>>16859032
>being a hard worker discipline or conscientiousness have anything to do with success
you really are in the 1%
>>
>>16858999
Hi anon. Everyone talks about "networking." Everyone is wrong. It doesn't work like that. You don't go to bars or meetings or hotels, shake hands, and suddenly, you're connected to CEOs and Presidents and become rich. That's just not how it works. What people think of as "networking" is completely and utterly wrong. So, my advice would be: "Don't start networking. Networking, per se, does not exist." All that matters for your career is working hard. If you work hard, do good work, be conscientious, people will take notice. You will be given more responsibility. You will get more and more interesting work. And naturally, over time, you will become tight with colleagues who also work hard. And then, one day, you'll reach an age (35+) where you know people who you've worked with for years and years and years, and they know how awesome you are, and they'll make intros for you and they'll naturally want you to join them on the things they're working on, and vice versa. Make sense?
>>
this is satire
move along everyone
>>
>>16859040
rekt
>>
>>16859040
Anon, I know it's not a popular philosophy. But, I grew up desperately poor. Desperately poor. I know that success and happiness in life depend significantly on LUCK. It's what's called "womb roulette." I just happened to have materialized into a womb that happened to go from China to the U.S. I would not be in the top 1% if I were born into China. Or Nigeria. Or North Korea. Totally random chance. I also lucked out in that my parents didn't beat me, or deprive me of food, or molest me. Just random chance. But, by the same token, I grew up poor as dirt. Poor as dirt. I'm not good looking. I'm short. The list goes on and on and on. But, I am in the 1% and I have an amazing life, an absolutely wonderful wife, and 2 phenomenal children, and even a dog who loves me. So, life can be amazing. I wish the same for you, anon.
>>
how to make money:
Dont listen to anything op says. The only thing he/she is the 1% is bullshitting..which is ironic
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 400x356px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 400x356px
>>16858973
How rich were your parents? Were you able to aquire a small loan of a million dollars to start you off?
>>
Fucking finally
why do you need us to be like cattle?
if we are truly sheep, can't you at least give a decent sheperd?, the jews in my country can't even run the shit
also, please tell me you guys won't nuke the planet, i recommend a plague myself for the NWO.
>>
From your high castle tower perspective.

What degrees should one persue in developing countries like southamerica?
Should one give it a shot in politics at the age of 22-23?
>>
>>16859906
politics in SA are heavly based on old ass families/landlords/baron shit
unless you have some god tier speeches, best to hit the good o' STEM
not OP
>>
You're probably not around anymore OP, but i'll ask anyway.
You said you grew up poor. Now you seem to have a lot of money. Do you think your life would have been better if you already had money when younger? What are you going to teach your kids about money? I'm a single parent and money is extremely tight. Sometimes i'm afraid that my son is missing out because of it. The main thing that bother me that i would go travel with him more. We both love to do so but we are almost never able to fit activities that cost any money into our budget. Basically, what is it that you value the most in everyday life that your wealth enables?

Also, i'd like to go back to school but i simply don't have the finances, time and energy to do so atm. What can i do so the time till i have those isn't wasted? I work in special needs care/education. i'm only doing some assisting since i don't have the right degrees yet.
>>
>>16858973

Do you ever have moments when you realize how completely out of touch you are, or do you never confront how completely out of touch you are?
>>
Why do you like having gobs of money when humanity is crumbling beneath your feet?
>>
you idiots will believe anything
>>
>>16859122
And what is it that you do?
>>
>>16858973
What is the half-life of Strontium 90?
>>
>>16858973
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?
>>
>>16858973
Explain the Albigensenist Heresy.
>>
>>16858973
Who's on first?
>>
File: 1372144426184.jpg (7KB, 229x200px) Image search: [Google]
1372144426184.jpg
7KB, 229x200px
>>16859122

> But, I am in the 1% and I have an amazing life, an absolutely wonderful wife, and 2 phenomenal children, and even a dog who loves me.

Yet... you're on 4chan.

Has anyone picked up on the satire here or are we all just playing along?
>>
>>16860467
OP can't even make up special details so no
>>
>>16858973
what do you even spend your money on
>>
>>16860467
I'm in higher than the 1% and I'm on 4chan, I cant possibly imagine being here if I had a wife/gf and children though. I'm here because I spend all my time working or alone on my computer. op might be believable if he didnt make that part up.
>>
>>16860470
*specific
>>
>>16860475
i'm a poor woman from brazil and i'm wanting to go ahead in life, would you be my sugar daddy?
>>
>>16860483
no, sorry. I'm not desperate for a woman. women have been throwing themselves at me for a few years now, I just cant find one with a personality that makes me care about them and want to be with them romantically.
>>
File: 1394673417865.gif (448KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
1394673417865.gif
448KB, 200x183px
>>16860475

>I'm in higher than the 1% and I'm on 4chan

Yeah, and I'm the commander of ISIS. This isn't fucking AOL chat anymore, dude, no need to pretend. We're all 14-30 year old douche bags with internet connections and 200$ in the bank. I don't know why its so difficult to admit that you all feel the need to come here and pretend to be fucking Nigerian princes and billionaires. Give me a fucking break.
>>
>>16860493

>women have been throwing themselves at me for a few years now

lol. I'm done. you fuckers are sad.
>>
>>16860494
not pretending. I'm a math nerd who grew up spending all my time on the internet and now I work as a quant at an ib in fixed income securities and leveraged finance. I still spend my free time on the computer.
>>
>>16860509
What do you do with all that money? Genuinely curious. Is it boring to be able to buy whatever you want at some point? Do you get tired of traveling?
>>
>>16860605
my parents were reasonably well off and conservative with their money so growing up I learned how to manage having it. I actually barely spend anything at all. almost all of my money goes towards housing, nice clothes which I need for work, and computer stuff. I work in london so I dont have a car. my diet is pretty basic too. I dont even eat out much and get most of my calories from whole milk/shakes that I can drink quickly and prepare easily.

right now I'm still renting since london real estate is so expensive in the area I have to live, since I want a short commute otherwise I'd get burned out from commuting and the long hours, that I cant afford to buy the kind of place I want. pretty much all of my money right now is being saved to buy a place. I'm looking to buy a place for around 3-4 million pounds, from perhaps 2 million saved plus the rest mortgaged. I'm also looking at transferring out of london to another city in a less stressful job, but I wont do that until I can afford to buy a nice house at that city.

I traveled a lot during university and enjoyed it but actually got bored during travels and found myself wanting to be busy doing something instead of sightseeing all the time. I dont have time to travel any more. I usually have to work even on weekends, not because I'm on the clock but because I have to finish what needs to be done and it takes so long.

I guess in some ways I am bored at being able to buy whatever I want. when I get a new monitor or something for my computer I basically feel nothing. at the same time things which would legitimately thrill me are still out of my reach financially.
>>
>>16860869
What are things that would thrill you?
How did your parents tech you to manage your money?
so you ever feel as if people want to get with you because of your money?
>>
>>16860874
the kind of things that I think would thrill me would be first a nice house, then something like a cottage/nice chalet, a nice car, maybe a yacht or something like that, a full time butler/driver. they're all just a little too much for me to deal with until I save more. it might turn out that those things do nothing for me and I sort of expect that they will.

I can tell all the time that girls are after me for money. I had the ib offer while I was still in grad school and I remember the large change in girls attitudes towards me once the word was getting out around the social circles where I would be working. it's made me extremely distrustful of women as a whole and a lot more reserved towards them. it also has attracted the "wrong" kind of women towards me, who I know are very materialistic even though they will pretend like they aren't when they're talking to me. this is an aside but I may as well say as well that I was raped around 30 times between the ages of 8 and 13 so I'm already not very confident sexually and already had romantic trouble in the first place since remotely sexual situations make my skin crawl and scare me. so this has made it even more difficult to find a partner. I still very badly want to meet somebody I care about and I almost did a few times in my life, but its much harder for me and I am genuinely afraid that I will die alone.

my parents were very frugal and when I was little I actually thought we were poor because they would always say "we cant buy that" when I was growing up. only looking back do I see that they were trying to teach me responsibility to avoid what often happens to trust fund children, the kind of people I know very well. we never bought a lot of things and our house was almost entirely spotless. they always made me choose one thing and then we would get a very nice version of that thing and have to use it a lot instead of a lot of little things. ctd next post
>>
>>16860891
the other big thing they did is that we did almost no gift giving. no birthdays, chirstmas, etc. at those times we would celebrate and have a nice meal but not buy much. instead I was given a yearly budget towards buying things that I wanted and then at the end of the year what I hadn't spent would be banked with 50% interest. when I was very little of course I blew it quickly, but I learned that it was better to save and I ended up saving almost all of it all the time, only buying things like videogames and computer stuff.
>>
I work in IB too (S&T) but I find it hard to get excited about making money, it's just numbers

I just want anime to be real and not to have to wear a suit anymore
>>
>>16860891
Oh, ok! When tou got your full time butler you might want to get a dog. I have to admit that you sound rather lonely. Am i wrong?
Those are some awesome goals. I'm living with minimum wage, but if i had any money i would buy a piece of land with some forrest on it. Then i'd build a few houses on that land, like a circle. In the middle i'd make a big fire place with a playground and stuff. Then i would life there with my whole family and their families. And some friends. That would be neat. I imagine the kids exploring the woods and play together all day long, sleeping over or camp in the garden. And we'd have time to make bbq-parties on summer nights and everybody stays up late cause we are already home. That would be so neat...

I really like that thing your parents did with the budget and the interest! How old where you when they started doing that? And how long did it took you to figure out that saving is the better idea? How much was that budget? I have a son myself and so far i'v been giving him 2 bucks every week. He has already figured out that it adds up quickly if you are patient enough. He has also bought some shitty stuff with all his savings just to be very sad that he had no money left but instead a shitty toy he never uses. That was a big lesson. He's been more cautious about how he spends his money since then. It's also very neat cause when we get groceries ge can decide for himself if he want's to spend his money on sweets and other unnecessary stuff. That way it's no drama and no "i want this and that".
We have a tiny appartment and every few months we declutter his toys and sell or donate what he's not using anymore. If he takes care of stuff and we can sell it he can put that money into his piggy bank. He even started to ask for money instead of toys for christmas and birthdays... I hope i don't push this too strong.
But god damn, anon. I can imagine that it's really hard to find a girl that's not a gold digger if the words spread.
>>
>>16860927
Aren't there joggers that look like dress-pants?

What is it that is so much better in animes than irl?
>>
>>16860938
I want a harem of teenage 2d girls
>>
>>16860948
Why don't you buy a few asian mail order brides and make them into a school-uniform wearing harem in your house?
>>
>>16860951
I already married an asian girl, I am just not easily satisfied
>>
OP do you ever think it's a waste to be thinking of buying property in London?

You can buy a perfectly good place for like £200k somewhere less inflated. Big house is just more shit to worrry about. I lived in London for 20 years and I don't really see the big attraction
>>
>>16860927
personally I dont mind wearing a suit, I got a few custom tailored and they're as comfortable to wear as anything else. dress pants are more comfortable than any other type of pants as well. its the ties and the dress shoes that get on my nerves. I wanted to start wearing dressy loafers but my boss called me out on it on the first day I tried.

>>16860935
yes I am very lonely and isolated. I get along with everybody at work but the pressure and context means that nobody is really your friend, and relationships are very strained and direct. I dont have very much going on socially outside of work at the moment either. I very much want a romantic partner to spend time with and give my love to but as I said before I haven't found somebody that I'm genuinely attracted to yet, and I'd rather be lonely and alone than in a relationship with somebody who is using me.

my parents started the yearly budget system when I was around 6 or so, guessing by the dates when a videogame console was released since it was the first thing I bought. I started saving it instead of spending around 10 or 11 if I remember right. I would recommend it or something along those lines, which it sounds like you are doing.

>>16860970
I'm not OP I'm a different person who came to this thread here >>16860475
I don't believe the OP was genuine based on his replies.

the only reason I'm living in london and would buy in london is because this is where I can get paid the most and I'm currently living. after I save up enough I plan to transfer to a less stressful job, sell london property if I have it, and to buy a house in another city. I'm interested in the northeastern US around vermont->connecticut region or maybe a city in canada like oakville which is near toronto.
>>
What do you think would happen if the 1% were amazingly, conveniently and coincidentally struck by a giant meteor, and died off?

No offense of course.
>>
>>16861127
I think it would be a lot worse for the average person than its popular to say. large concentrations of wealth allow for investment which is the lifeblood of civilization, and a very large part of taxes in western countries are paid by the most wealthy. cutting off both of those would be ruinous to a country and there wouldn't be much payback except a reduction in jealousy, which I dont think is worth it.
>>
>>16861127
Actually, it would probably be better for us 99% to have most of our fellow 99%ers die off. Labor was a lot more valuable following the Black Death in Europe. You don't need to be a 1%er to be happy. I am a teacher and I get by just fine. I don't know why people say you can't live on a teacher's salary. They must try to live outside of their means.
>>
>>16862177
I'm not saying it'd be a good thing if y'all were struck by meteors, but obviously being in the 1% doesn't make you a competent economist. Large concentrations of wealth, beyond a point, have a chilling effect on the economy, as you can see in modern-day Russia, America, Latin America, etc.

Also, for the folks questioning whether somebody belonging to the top 1% could POSSIBLY be on 4chan, it's really not that unbelievable. If both your parents belong to high-earning professions then there's a passable chance you come from a 1% background; if you live in a very expensive area then you might not even be aware of it, as your lifestyle would honestly have been closer to upper middle-class. To belong to the 1% your household really just needs to bring in a couple hundred thousand per year, which is a lot, don't get me wrong, but plenty of people who earn that much do work for it, and work hard (would YOU want to be a vascular surgeon?)

When people say "1%" what they really mean most of the time is ".01%" -- even the Occupy Wall St. folks underestimated how concentrated the wealth in America was.
>>
>>16858973

Top 1% of what? Being a retard?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.