[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Religious Deconversion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: light_explosion_by_mindstep.jpg (130KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
light_explosion_by_mindstep.jpg
130KB, 1024x614px
Hey /adv/, I thought I'd cover my bases here to be sure.

Do you have any advice on how someone should deal with the loss of their religion?

For full context, see >>>/x/17404107

Basically I don't want to hear cognitive therapy bullshit, I want a deep and spiritual discuss about meaning itself. Obviously /his/ isn't the place to discuss THAT kind of philosophy, so I figure I'd ask on /x/ and just in case, I'll ask here, too. I'm new to /adv/ so I'm pretty skeptical that you're worth asking about this, but there you go.

Do you have any advice for this *specific* /spiritual/ issue I'm facing?
>>
>>16851597
You could always turn to God. He's there when you need him
>>
>>16851810
Not OP, but how do I talk to him?
>>
You are experiencing a crisis of faith, OP. But are you certain that separation from your faith is the path you want to take? Lots of people have had crises of faith, and while some of them did indeed choose to leave, many did not. Mother Theresa is a famous example from living memory: she recounts her crisis in great detail in her papers and letters. Going further back, some of the apostles speak of their own crises in the Bible. Some people even interpret the Agony in the Garden at Gethsemane as Jesus himself having a crisis of faith shortly before his arrest: a brief one, yes, but if the Bible is to be believed about it, then it was real enough to warrant sending down an angel to prop him up for just a bit longer. And if the Son of God can have a crisis of faith, then surely it must be all right for us to experience them as well.

I speak from a Christian perspective, because that is what I know best, but most faiths have similar stories of faith lost and found again. It would be foolish for them not to: doubt is a fundamental part of the human condition, and any faith that does not address it to at least some people's satisfaction dies out quickly.

If you really think that separation is the path you need to take, then there is little we can do to stop you. But I wanted to remind you that leaving is not your only option.
>>
>>16851875
Ecclesiastes is an entire book about Solomon's crisis of faith.
>>
>>16851810
>>16851841
Fuck off. Religion has beset only constant betrayal in my direction. I've done what you ask a thousand times over and gotten only betrayal in return.
>>16851875
It's the only one that isn't the spiritual equivalent of slitting my own throat.
>>16851877
Fuck off. Positive psychology is an abuse of human nature.
>>
>>16851940
Taking this conversation here: >>>/his/754674

If you guys want to give me advice, start by telling me how you lost your religion and why you'll never go back to it.
>>
But it's so simple. There is no such entity as God. The end. Live your life with a good heart and kindly disposition. Religion only exists for you if you think about it, so stop thinking about it.
>>
>>16851940
>Religion has beset only constant betrayal in my direction
This is 4chan not a fucking Dungeons and Dragons game you faggot, talk like a normal human being
>>
>>16852027
Thanks, that's the kind of thing I need to hear.
>>16852373
Supernatural things exist and they're all assholes.
>>
>>16851810
Don't be a cunt. He's already said he's out the door. Even if he was doubting, now isn't the time.

>>16852848
>Supernatural things exist and they're all assholes.

Guess you needed a brass jar.
>>
>>16851998
My grandmother died. It was a bad death that capped a bad life. We weren't especially close, but I just couldn't find a way to square it with my faith. After that, other things came into play that hardened my heart, but seeing her suffocating is the thing that started it. I've felt the pull now and again, but the bridge is burned.
>>
>>16852875
Sorry to hear that. I think people deserve comfort in death, but it's really up to each individual whether they want emotional comfort of physical comfort. I wish society could've help ease her passing better.
>>
Wrong board man. This place is for teenagers to bitch and whine about not having sex.
>>
>>16852965
Yeah, I figured that but /x/ mods are being a shit right now. I'll repost the /x/ thread tomorrow when it's become clear that this is about more than me.
>>
Read two things:
>Free Will by Sam Harris
It's not about atheism or Islam or his other abc's, just written from an atheistic perspective. It's tiny, probably 2 hours tops.
>Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Pretty much applies to most things on /adv/ and should practically be stickied imo. In this case it's good to give you a sense of your place in nature. It does mentions 'gods' once or twice, but either to say how they're not necessary to find use in life, or in a way that's interchangeable with 'fate' or a similar concept.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.