[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career choices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

File: d42g4.jpg (108KB, 1070x898px) Image search: [Google]
d42g4.jpg
108KB, 1070x898px
Lurking across the four vaginas of the internet, I see pics of tier lists for job occupations and degrees. I'm quite young and have freshly began college. I have an interest in fields of science related to physics and astronomy. I am a faggot.

I wanted some legitimate advice from anyone out there to know which would be a career choice that wouldn't leave me in Walmart scraping by even after years of school.

Is there any real list of degrees that are trash and those that have a future in that specialization?
>>
>>16841639
My observation has been that different degrees go in and out of demand. Trades never do. Learn to weld and you'll always have work.
>>
Very few degrees are truly worth it. It really just depends on what you do with it. Most of those charts are useless unless they're based on actual statistics. My boyfriend did a stats degree (a 'top tier' degree) and didn't find a job for months after uni, mostly because he didn't put in the effort he should have while he was there. He has a job he's happy with now, but it's not related to his degree and honestly, his work experience managing a Burger King was probably more useful for this job than his degree.
>>
>>16841653
>Very few degrees are truly worth it.
Should be very few degrees are truly useless. That's what I get for trying to have a conversation and typing at the same time
>>
>>16841647
HAHAHA okay no seriously fuck off. Fuck right off with this meme. It depends on where you live, obviously, but the market for welders is pretty saturated in a lot of places these days. It's certainly not impossible to find a job, but it's not a sure thing, either.

We had a thread literally yesterday with some poor kid who'd trained as a welder and found himself unable to find work.
>>
I had a substitute teacher back in high school who was a theoretical physicist, one of the smartest men I've ever met personally, and he worked primarily at a continuation school. A school for fuck ups.

That put a lot of discouragement in my choice to be honest.
>>
>>16841673
Being smart and being successful are two completely different things. They can be related, yes, but they're not the same. You can have one without the other.
>>
>>16841665
Obama here, can confirm that kid trained as a welder and was unable to find work.
>>
>>16841639
every degree has use
the only degree i can imagine is totally useless is art history or some shit
>>
>>16841726
Naw, art history has value in museums and whatnot. Liberal arts generally teach you a broader range of skills that aren't applicable to any one field so while the traditionally 'useless' majors may not lead to a certain job, they do offer a more generalised skill set that can be applied in many different areas.
>>
>>16841665
>>16841694
>>16841714
Thus is because networking is a matter of professional life and death, nowadays. It never used to be this way for many fields. You used to be able to work your way from the bottom up...not anymore. No one wants to bother training employees, because they now see them as disposable.
>>
>>16841729
Yeah, but museum curating isn't a job that's especially in demand since most of those positions are held by older people who have no interest in leaving and because the field isn't expected to grow very much or at all in this hostile economic climate
>>
>>16841738
No, of course not. That's what the rest of my post addresses.
>>
Dude if you like physics go for physics. Or engineering. Or fucking whatever. Being interested in a STEM field is a huge advantage, so just roll with it. You know what won't get you anywhere? Wasting time thinking about what the 'perfect' path for you is. Pick something and grab it by the fucking balls. Making the decision is half the battle Maybe it works out. Maybe it doesn't. You'll live either way. Just make sure whatever you pick you immerse yourself in. Seek out opportunities like internships, undergrad research (REUs), colloquiums, everything. Connect with your professors and other seniors in your field. Don't just let shit pass you by, or you'll be like all the other bitter faggots who drifted through their degree, got nothing out of it, and now complain about it on Persian rug-weaving bulletins. So stop fucking around and take control. You can do it, dude.
>>
>>16841639
What are the "four vaginas of the internet"?
>>
>>16841757
I don't know what they are, but I would like to thoroughly fuck every one of them.
>>
>>16841785
You wouldn't, they're probably cancerous
>>
>>16841792
I'll fuck anything that remotely resembles a vagina.
>>
>>16841756
This. But only do physics if you're good at physics.
>>
Blue collar work is incredibly hard on your body but well worth it if you're good at it.

The majority of experienced journeymen in the American work force are baby boomers. These men and women have been gradually going from lucrative employment to retirement over the last fifteen years. The likelihood of making a great living as an electrician, plumber, potable water technician etc has increased significantly because of this.
>>
Just study what you find interesting. Any STEM degree in general will give you good job prospects. Don't forget that degrees like physics and math are quite versatile and will give you opportunities for careers in many different fields.
>>
Is a logistics management degree prospectful?
>>
>>16841726
my grandma has a degree in art history, that was traditionally a very popular field of study for women since womens' colleges only offered liberal arts and fine arts.
>>
>>16841818
>>16841639

>Don't forget that degrees like physics and math are quite versatile and will give you opportunities for careers in many different fields.

Bullshit. Graduate cum laude in math and went to a PhD program both at top 50 programs, and no job after 5 months of looking. STEM should basically just be STE, it's such a misconception.
>>
protip: a "god tier" job will never be worth it if you're miserable at work and want to blow your brains out

I was set for vet school, had the grades, experience, even a reccomemdation from the head surgical vet at the human society I work at. but I realized I was doing it way more for my parents and because it's kind of status thing I suppose. but I wouldn't really get to study animal behavior, which is what I'm really interested in (surprisingly vets get very little to no education on animal behavior) and really couldn't put myself through that much school and into a job if it's not what I really wanted

so, to the dismay of my parents, I'm going to be a CVT to make enough to live on, and go back to school and study ethology. what I really want is to become an animal behaviorist and help train shelter dogs to make them more adoptable, maybe try and work with shelters in overcrowded areas to help educate on how to humanely lower the stress levels of the animals and manage their behavior. I'll never be rich, but I'll be able to live happily and love what I do.

and you don't need to know yet anon, the market for degrees change all the time too. short of being a doctor, nothing is going to indefinitely secure you a job.
>>
>>16841639
>tfw economics
>tfw concentration in Information Systems with a minor in Computer Science

feels fucking great, fuck your list STEM can suck a dick the stuff I do is fun and the program at my university has a 100% rate of employment in the field after graduation with a median salary of $60,000 a year
>>
>>16841927
I always thought the M stood for medicine
>>
>>16841927
Honest to god it should really just be TE unless you're assuming grad school (and even then the pay for somebody trained in a lot of the hard sciences isn't necessarily gonna be great.) The T is pretty saturated too.
>>
>>16841927
>>16842039
There's nothing wrong with the term STEM to mean a grouping of fields. It's when people take it to mean a bunch of degrees that it'll guarantee you a job with a high salary that it falls apart and the STEM meme comes in.
>>
File: aye.png (891KB, 988x570px) Image search: [Google]
aye.png
891KB, 988x570px
I will become a famous e-celeb / stand up comedian in less than 5 years. I'm 2 years away from a bachelors degree in marketing.

#smd OP
>>
>>16842043
How often do you see the term STEM thrown around on here in any other context? Hell, on here the term should probably be STEWM or MEWTS or something -- the W being "welding."

Honestly, though, I disagree that there's nothing wrong with the term, because it's never not going to connote the superiority of the hard sciences over the social sciences (I actually feel the same about the term "hard sciences.") As someone who works in a non-STEM field that sees the publication of a lot of interdisciplinary papers co-authored by biologists, computer scientists, statisticians, etc, a lot of them have been absolutely dreadful, because they assumed that jumping from a hard science to a social science meant that they didn't have to do any homework -- as though the field being less rigorous meant that it lacked rigor entirely. To my mind, the conceptual divide between the hard & social sciences has done some real damage and led to the dissemination of some really shitty research that never should have even gotten to publication.
>>
>>16842185
To be honest, I don't think I really hear it heard outside of 4chan in any context other than messages in the media saying 'we need to get more girls into STEM'. I honestly don't see the levels of superiority that STEM students here have in the real world either, because people don't obsess over it the way people here seem to do. Maybe it's because I'm in a non-STEM major so what I see and hear is somewhat filtered, but it is what it is.

I don't really know what my point is
>>
>>16842060
just the burger, fries and coke thanks.

> thats what you will really be doing with your degree

break into comedy and make tens of dollars...

because wont happen, unless you fucked somebody actually famous you aint going to be a e-celeb ok maybe a z-lister who ends up on a "reality" rehab show
>>
>>16841927
Your anecdotal evidence does not make it a fact. Employment stats are pretty good for math majors. You probably are doing something wrong.
>>
>>16841639
>Astronomy
>God Tier

Trololololo
>>
>>16841639
It matters very little what your profession is, it matters a lot more that you're motivated to get really good at whatever you have the passion for. However some career paths are more competitive and have generally very demanding entry levels.

In the more demanding fields a lot of the trainees and graduates rarely meet the demands of the entry level positions. They simply fail to realize that in those fields, school is there mostly to point you in the right direction and what you really need to do is to walk towards that direction with practice and hard work usually on your own time. I mean most of the schools offer you all sorts of expensive equipment, tools, software licenses, books, room and even people to work and professionals to answer your questions and offer you tips, yet people barely take advantage on any of that.

Pick a degree that you're honestly interested in enough that you'd enjoy doing even on your free time, if you don't you're very likely to suck at it and end up selling fast food.
>>
STEM is what's left when you cut the head off a rose. A thorny stick.
>>
>>16842006
>got a STEM degree
>95k first year out
>172k second year out

You can keep your gaylord degree
>>
Math is one of the worst things you can do to a human brain.
>>
concentrate more on getting connections OP. youre starting college so meet a shitton of ppl and it will come in handy someday. you can make deecent iving off of pretty much anything as long as you know ppl
>>
>>16842246
Astronomy is closely related to physics. You could even say it's a sub-branch of physics.

It's not about staring at stars through a telescope.
>>
Biology is closely related to physics. You could even say it's a sub-branch of physics.

It's not about staring at cells through a telescope.
>>
>>16841726
You don't graduate in art history or philosophy to get a job. You expect to get a job in spite of it. Philosophy students (at least in my country, according to statistics) do pretty well on the job market.
>>
>>16842380
t. butthurt biologist who can't do basic math
>>
>>16841639
Schooling is important, but employment is far more so. They usually have a relationship, but that relationship is rather loose, as connections moreso than education are what result in a job in the "real world".

If I knew then what I knew now, I would have blown that professor and called it a day.
>>
>>16841647
what about nursing?
Is it a trade or a degree? or both?
>>
lmao @ STEM, reddit tier
>>
Can someone redpill me on some careers? Preferably people with experience studying or working in them. Try not to meme me for no reason.

Criminal Justice/Police/Detective

Marketing

Accounting

There is no way in hell I'm going into STEM, medical, or artistic.
>>
>astronomy being god tier

kek. It's mid tier at best. Everything else is spot on
>>
>>16844169
Do you even know what astronomy is? In the end it's quite similar to physics. A degree in astronomy will get you the same kinds of opportunities that a physics degree will.
>>
>>16844122
I graduated with a Bachelor's in CRJ

Still looking for work
>>
where does paramedic or firefighter fall under in this arbitrary system of defining which fields are good and shit?
>>
>>16844122
Accounting. Tax services never starve and the tax code will only force more customers your way.

Cops get PTS and burn out, but if not it's a career with a government retirement so if you can hang it might be for you.

Marketroids are expendable and have no security.

If hate stem and might like cop, easy way is enlist and be one, then work up to OSI if possible. Retire then become SuperPig in second career. Ka-ching.
>>
>>16841757
War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death?
>>
>>16844886
they don't because the list only applies to people who are choosing a degree for money and not interest. the nature of both those jobs are pretty complicated to rate in that aspect
>>
I'm in a pretty similar predicament. I've been an IT major since last semester but I find the subject to be pretty boring. I've done well in it, but I really want to just study history and possibly be a secondary education teacher. The only thing that holds me back is that nagging feeling that I won't be able to do anything with it, I just wish I had the balls to just go for it. Should I just do it? A degree is better than no degree I guess...
>>
>>16844122
This>>16844892
I'm an accounting major, everyone that's graduated our program in the last year had a job within 30 days of graduating, most had one before graduation.

Also, depending on where you are accountants make pretty good money. Cost accountants make especially good money.
>>
>>16841647
Yeah, no. That's not right at all. I live in an oil-field, trades oriented town where you're literally only encouraged throughout highschool to go into trades, nothing else. Job availability and stability suffer severely in trades in regards to any small (or large) bumps in the economy. It's great when there's jobs, but if there's a little hiccup in the economy, it's the most fragile career path you could be on (this goes for welders, electricians, instrumentation, pipe fitters, plumbers, whatever.)

Medical is always needed. Even if you don't have the knowledge to be a doctor, there's always the technitian based careers that allow for continuous learning (ie radiology, cardiology, sonography, lab, radiation, MRI technitians, etc) most certification takes around two years to get and can be turned into a stacked degree (lab + radiology, sonography + MRI, etc)
>>
>>16841647
Yeah, but then you'll be an uneducated welder and will inevitably want to kill yourself for having zero status in society and doing something completely unfulfilling.
And in 20 years you'll be in your 40s, and machines will be ready to perform your only skill.
>>
I'm about to get a dual master's in international relations (one of the most valuable MAs you can get) and journalism (one of the least).

I love writing, so fuck it, I'm gonna go for it. But I'm also gonna focus on statistics courses so that I have some real skill in IR.
And hey, fuck it, if it doesn't work out I'll just go be a teacher somewhere prestigious.
>>
>>16841813
How does one 'git gud' at physics?
I never did it for leaving cert secondary school (Irish system) but I have huge interest in STEM subjects.
I did pick up a physics book recently and I plan on giving it a read.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.