[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Accused of racism at work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

File: 1308333019499.jpg (281KB, 1163x1525px) Image search: [Google]
1308333019499.jpg
281KB, 1163x1525px
I am a white guy working retail. The store hired a couple new employees last week, one of which was a black girl. I was assigned to train the other new hire. During the second day of this process, we were setting up the store before it opened. A shelf broke and we didn't currently have the parts necessary to fix it. I explained to her that sometimes you would have to ghetto rig stuff to make things work until a better fix was available, as I showed her where the tools were and made a makeshift pin to hold the shelf in place using a paperclip.

The other new hire overheard this. She didn't say anything to me at the time, but later the manager on duty approached me and said that she'd told him that I said "ghetto rig" and she thought that was racist. I got the impression he didn't think it was as big of a deal as she was making it out to be, and we both seemed to be in a hurry to get our work done before the store opened.

Comment too long and here's a picture of a creepy thing because why not.
>>
>>16840421

There wasn't an official write-up or anything over it, but I didn't want to offend anybody and it obviously meant a lot to this girl if she reported it to the manager. It seemed strange to me, because a couple of the other employees then and the day before were black, one of whom is a friend and drinking buddy of mine, and she had seen all of us joking around and having a good time together. Still, the next time I came across her, I apologized. I told her I'd heard she was upset by what I said, that I honestly didn't consider the fact that the term could be offensive, but now that I knew I was sorry and wouldn't say it again. She barely acknowledged that I was speaking to her and walked off, and remained cold and dismissive of me from then on.

Yesterday she quit, and told the store manager (above the manager she had reported me to) that she was leaving because there were too many racists in the store. She named me and the manager she had reported me to as two racists, but refused to elaborate on what we had said or done to make her feel that way. He asked me if I had made any racist comments or jokes, and I explained all of the above to him, including exactly what I said and my apology. He wrote some things down, said something about needing to send something about this to the regional manager, and that he might want to talk to me, that there might be some racial sensitivity training or some other consequences, he wasn't sure but he'd know by the next time I worked, which will be tomorrow.

What the fuck.
>>
>>16840430
Girl sounds like a mess, hiding behind "muh racism"

You did nothing wrong, literally.

1) used a term that you had no idea was racist, given your black co-workers regularly use it and you use it with them

2) following her upset, apologised and promised to be more sensitive

She's got a huge rod up her ass.
>>
Here's a secret for you:

A lot of black people are incredibly sensitive about racial issues, and look for racism where there is literally none.

I've been called racist for not shaking hands with a black guy who had leprosy and holes in his clothing (a fucking bum).

Don't stress about it.
>>
>>16840421
should have said nigger rig
>>
Black people are unreasonable and pointlessly belligerent towards white people, what else is new.
>>
>>16840430
It'll be fine. Get over it.

Go down to Lowes, pick up some wood, buy a nice toolkit, (do not be cheap about this, quality tools are a worthy investment that last a lifetime), pick up some nails, get dressed in some clothes you don't mind messing up, build a bridge AND GET OVER IT.
>>
>>16840421
It's a common phrase. Ghettos aren't specifically associated with black people. They exist in all countries and communities around the world.

She over reacted to a modern phrasing of "jury rigging". You shouldn't be attacked for using your language, you did nothing wrong. It could put some fire at your heels but if someone talks to you you could ask if you'd be receiving the same harsh treatment if you were female and used common phrases. It sounds like you're being discriminated against, not the other way around. Unfortunately corporate environments tend to be harsh on only white guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rigging
>>
well, it's racist.
>>
>>16840498
>>16840496
>>16840466
>>16840460
>>16840448
I guess I wasn't too clear about what I needed here: my main concern is with my job. It's a decent job, I am next in line for a promotion (hence them having me train new hires), and I'm potentially going to talk to the regional manager tomorrow. Whether or not she was justified in her offense (the word ghetto doesn't even necessarily have anything to do with black people?) I'm still a white guy being accused of racism by a black girl. That looks bad for me.
>>
>>16840506
>She over reacted to a modern phrasing of "jury rigging".
if by modern you meant racist then sure.
>>
>>16840532
>the word ghetto doesn't even necessarily have anything to do with black people?
none the less, "ghetto rig" is a phrase invented by and for racists.
>>
>>16840538
>>16840529

Since when is "poor people" a race?
>>
>>16840547
Shit, better throw out the English language.
>>
>>16840549
don't cry, it's ok, everyone has words they don't understand.
>>
>>16840558
or, you know, learn to speak it effectively.
>>
It's a term used globally. Similar expressions exist all over the world.

The only thing you could be blamed for is prejudice against poor people for not doing good solutions or something. But that's clearly not the case.

Sad story OP.
>>
>>16840538
It's not racist unless you're a disturbed tumblr kid who dedicates their day to day to inventing ways to jump down peoples throats in attempt to feel superior.

The word ghetto is actually talking about jews. It means something like "where the jews are restricted to". It's origin is not related to your niggers. It refers to jews specifically but became associated with poor neighbourhoods over time. Some crazy lady wanting to be the victim doesn't change that. Insane peoples emotions have no business dictating reality or history.

Really OP should give them a history lesson and lie saying he's considering converting to Jewish to fuck with the political correct office types.
>>
Here's a fun fact:

I find people from the ghetto absolutely disgusting.

Is that racism? No, because people of any color can live in the ghetto.

Racism is the hatred of a skin color, not someone's sensitivity to fantasy implications.
>>
>>16840577
>Racism is the hatred of a skin color
More nuanced than that. It can also be cultural race and stuff. Regardless it's not considered racism to be against poor people. Douchy of course but not racist.
>>
>>16840574
bitch do you even speak english. shut the fuck up pretending you know what words mean.
>>
>>16840562
How about this, I'll agree that ghetto is a racist term if you agree that cracker is a racist term.
>>
>>16840547
Even if it was racist, which is isn't, he apologized.

She clearly wasn't actually offended, she just wanted to have a racist white man to complain about.
>>
>>16840559
Like another poster said, ghettos exist all over the world in different societies and generally house the poor and despondent (and while these people generally tend to belong to "lesser" racial groups as determined by the society in which they exist, that is beyond the point; all races can be found in ghettos around the world, even just in the US)
>>
>>16840589
are you pretending to be the nigger lady

are we roleplaying explaining language to people who want to get out of looking like a jackass by trying to be the victim in a situations

more importantly what are you wearing?
>>
ITT: racists in self-denial
>>
>>16840598
>ghettos exist all over the world
"ghetto rig" has racist connotations. look at the top of this page. see the links to other boards? they're not pieces of chain.
>>
>>16840421
You're better than me, I call it nigga rig lol
>>
>>16840547
I meant the term in the sense of a place built out of cheap or substandard materials, such as a shelf being held together by a paperclip. The fact that there is a racial component to the word didn't even enter my mind. That being said, it doesn't matter whether I think it should be offensive or not, it matters that she was offended, which is why I apologized. The apology was sincere, as was the promise not to say it again. The fact that she didn't accept it sucks, but I don't really have any control over that.

One of my other black coworkers mentioned to me that she really seemed to hate me and was badmouthing me as recently as the day before she quit, but because I was "too happy" and not for anything to do with racism. She didn't bring up the racism thing with her, but she was surprised about it and told me she had problems and not to worry about it.
>>
>>16840610
I'm not in self-denial. Black people are rude and unintelligent and generally responsible for their own circumstances.
>>
>>16840611
> "ghetto rig" has racist connotations.

Maybe to you you niggaboon but the majority of people associate it with jury rigging something, but using even less materials/tools.
>>
I find it very odd to hear this having gone to a forum predominantly dominated by people in ghettos and browsing their crafts board. 'Ghetto rig' was frequently used, mostly frowned upon. Usually to describe alternatives if you didn't have things like copper braids for soldering. It was certainly not only used by black people there. Me included.

Among the best people. Shame admin got jailed and it died..
>>
>>16840611
Anything that can even be vaguely imagined to refer to black people in the slightest negative way is considered to have "racist connotations" by black people.
>>
>>16840610
Are all white Americans racist in your mind.
>>
>>16840611
no it doesn't

it's just a turn of phrase of jury rigging, but more cheaply done. fixing my window with duct tape and plastic because I have no damn money.
>>
>>16840628
you know you're a racist, why are you pretending otherwise?
>>
>>16840643
technically you're the racist in the conversation, on top of that you obviously have a very low opinion of blacks with your ironic white knight coddling
>>
There's some actual racism and shitposting going on, so as the OP I want to make it clear that these are the only posts by me so far and I'll have a tripcode exclusively for this thread from now on just so there's no confusion.
>>16840421
>>16840430
>>16840532
>>16840614
>>
>>16840652
>ironic white knight coddling
you really, really, should learn what words mean before you try to use them or you're going to end up like OP
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

necessary content for this thread
>>
>>16840664
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1vXZKr2cAQ

I'd say this is better
>>
>>16840664
Wonder what this would sound like today.
>>
>>16840585
No, it's really not more nuanced than that.

rac·ist

/'rāsəst/

noun
1. a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

adjective
1. Having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.

This isn't up for debate.
>>
>>16840717
racism
[rey-siz-uh m]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
I dunno what you picked. There's tons of dictionaries with different ideas. But generally if you consider what racists tend to be they're not just about skin color usually. That's how they tend to divide (because they're apes who are subject to tribal think, like football hooligans). But most "higher" tier racist stuff (non-slogans pretty much) is not about skincolor but about ethnic belonging usually. Culture often included. Nazi's didn't consider northern Europeans to be the same as them at all, at least politically. They usually have a tier list where they put themselves first.

I don't know why I had to learn this in school though.
>>
>>16840730
That was a stupid definition to post, i just skimmed. But look at wikipedia.

There's obviously no real race definition because it's a made up concept. Simply not how evolution works.
>>
>>16840730
Literally just type "racist" in google. Defines it right there.
>>
>>16840745
Yeah but you gotta motivate why google is correct first.
>>
>>16840751
Because it took me two seconds? To be totally honest with you, I would think Google of all places would push the definition put forth in >>16840730 if it was actually accepted. But it's not. The word was created with the word "race" as a base. You wanna know the funniest part of this though? If you hit the "Translate" and other shit button at the bottom of the definition, you'll see that the word wasn't even used until almost 1950. So it's eaither a VERY recent creation, therefore not much time for the definition to change, or it was a word that was never used because races being different the simple human trait to want to stick with your own is (or was I guess) just common fucking sense.
>>
>>16840771
You don't think that a wikipedia article that's probably being edited and discussed by thousands of people interested in the subject would have an idea about what the word means?

You may buy whatever definition you like. But racist ideologies tend to be based on more than skincolor.
>>
>>16840430
I'm black, she just sounds like the self-victimizing type. Count yourself lucky that she quit before she made any more problems for you. There's also nothing racist about the word ghetto, it just means slummy or shabbily built. Black people can live in the ghettos, Spanish can people live in the ghettos, White can people live in the ghettos. It's not an offensive word, and you were using it literally.

Try not to worry about it, and I hope you can coast through the racial sensitivity training without any problems if it comes down to that.
>>
>>16840781

You can change culture, you can't change your biological skin color.

Hating someone because of their skin color is reprehensible because there is literally nothing they did to deserve your ire other than being a certain color.

Culture is grey because many cultures are incompatible with each other. Some cultures are literally designed to shun people who aren't part of their circle. Having negative views on cultures is not racist.
>>
>>16840781
I tend to believe things that are accredited, as in the Merriam Webster dictionary, over something anyone can edit like Wikipedia. I'm not one of the "Wikipedia is shit" crowd, but I believe the dictionary over it any day. And by the by, if you spend half your days discussing "what racism and radist really means" and the other half altering Wikipedia to fit your narrative, chances are you're a bit biased on the subject anyway, as it's pretty clear the word "racists" was made for racial discrimination.
>>
>>16840801
They have rather substantial guidelines and they frequently reference them. Read some talk pages sometimes. They're pretty interesting. They probably talk about this too. In fact there's a dispute going on right now. How interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Racism#Improper_Definition
>>16840800
It's not just about culture though. It's also about ethnicity (which again, not skin color. I'm northern europeans german nazi's were germanic, ideally.). Regardless of if you can "change race" or not it doesn't change much.

It's not strange that we're arguing I guess.
>>
>>16840815
>They have rather substantial guidelines and they frequently reference them. Read some talk pages sometimes. They're pretty interesting. They probably talk about this too. In fact there's a dispute going on right now. How interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Racism#Improper_Definition

Literally doesn't matter. Come back to argue this point when the actual definition has changed. Until that point these people are just jacking each other off. You can't personally just decide that a word has changed. What if I decided that when I call black people "niggers" I actually meant upstanding member of the community. It would sound nice and pretty on my end, not so much on theirs.
>>
>>16840833
But now you're arguing that your position is the default. I've already conceded that I'm not sure what should be the correct definition anymore but you can't just go claim yours without real reason. Especially since most racist ideologies conflict with it. It's not skin color.

I'm dropping this now.
>>
>>16840848
Whatevs, drop it. But just know that society decides on definitions based on common knowledge of how words are used. These words and definitions are translated to us through accredited books called dictionaries. That is the definition I used, and it is the same definition most people who aren't ready to do logical backflips and frontflips to support their theories use. Try to use your mind instead following with the trends.
>>
File: 1456217080181.jpg (33KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1456217080181.jpg
33KB, 625x626px
>>16840421
Explain to your manager that ghetto isnt a racist word.
>>
I can't see where anybody suggests he could have said "jerry rig" but whatever. It sounds like this girl was young and inexperienced. "Ghetto" isn't racist, maybe out of fashion, but it's not offensive. No. Good thing she quit.
>>
>>16840880
Jerry is offensive to germans
>>
>>16840421
>>16840430
Above and beyond the shit stain that reported you, I really, really fucking hate how everyone throws about the term "racism" when they just aren't using it correctly/obviously don't know what it means.
>RACISM: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
So now that we've all picked up a fucking dictionary, how exactly does saying you have to "ghetto rig" something = black people are inferior.

IT DOESN'T. But that doesn't stop idiots from yelling racist. Fuck that girl and fuck "muh racism." You know what would have made that racist? Saying, "You have to ghetto rig it... like inferior black people do." From what you said, ANY RACE can live in the ghetto.

But no, according to black people, black people are the only people living in the ghetto. Fucking idiots.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.