[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is learning a language just for fun "pointless"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

I see it as pointless. For example, why the heck would a Singaporean want to learn French or Spanish? It's not a local language and almost all the foreigners there can speak English so none of the local employers will give a shit. In the meantime, an Asian accent will probably sound terrible in an non-Asian language so it's not like the native speakers of that language will really appreciate his efforts. With over a billion Chinese people, an Asian person speaking whatever language is just a dime a dozen and nothing special - none of native-speakers of whatever language he is trying to learn will give a fuck as some Chinese people living overseas can probably speak that language fluently. Even if a Singaporean managed to learn Czech or some shit, it's not like the Czech people will give a fuck as there are probably Chinese people living in the Czech Republic who can speak the language fluently. Just look at
>>>/trv/1081359
>>
>>16813260
Why are you so concerned about what other people are doing? Don't you have shit you should be focusing on in your own life?
>>
>>16813270
Because what these people do is fucking pointless. In the case stated in my first post, the local companies will not give a shit and the native speakers will not give a shit, so why would a Singaporeean learn French or Spanish?
>>
GO AWAY BRANDON

Nobody reply to OP. He is an autist who creates this thread every day.
>>
How the fucking fuck can LEARNING A NEW LANGUAGE be POINTLESS?
>>
fuck off nigger
>>
>>16813260
Are you the same autist who made 20 threads about why people shouldn't pick careers they love if they didn't pay as much as actuaries and doctors
>>
>>16814537
I've stated the reasons here
>>16813260
>>16814574
A Singaporean learning Frenchor Spanish is just as pointless, if not even more.
>>
stop making these threads, it's just getting old
>>
Learning a new language makes your brain bigger, learn japanese and serenade the weaboos in your class.
>>
File: op.jpg (69KB, 610x360px) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
69KB, 610x360px
>>16813260
Op just salty over Valentine's day.
>>
Only if you don't actually enjoy learning new languages. If someone find it fun or interesting, the point is it's a sort of hobby they enjoy.
Is other people's fun pointless if YOU personally aren't benefiting or seeing benefits?
It might be. But that's relative, Their fun has a point to them, even if it doesn't to you.
>>
Je ne connais pas ton langue vulgaire OP. Il est inutile.
>>
>>16814663
I don't see how a Singaporean will benefit in any way from learning French.
>>
None of you guys are rebutting my arguments. See? It proves that I am right.
>>
>>16813260
You learn a language because it coincides with your goals. If you want to move or work in that country, read books in that language, study its history at a graduate level, etc.
>>
>>16814829
If they enjoy learning new languages, the benefit is the experience of learning it. People who do things they enjoy tend to be happier. And when you're happy, you spend less time online complaining about things that make other people happy.
>>
>>16813260
Existence is pointless.
Do what you want.
>>
>>16813260

Go away career Brandon. No one should reply to these threads anymore. You should go to Yahoo Answers or something.
>>
This is the third time I've seen this thread today and about the 20th time this month. Give up OP
>>
I like these threads. They drive incompetent losers into suicide.
>>
>>16815493
You guys dont reply as you guys cannot refute my arguments.
>>
>>16816017
We can't refute your arguments because they aren't arguments. They're the pointless rantings of a manchild pissed off because he's forced to learn something that doesn't come naturally to him. Everything is couched in "I think" and "I feel" to make them twchnically true even if the statements themselves are grossly mistalen.

You're not arguing: you're venting, and you're venting about something stupid. Worse still, you've decided to shit all over a public forum with it repeatedly for weeks on end, wasting time and enwrgy even by thw atamdards of this place.
>>
>>16815839
Kek
>>
>>16816343
>rantings
It is not. Learning French is pointless for a Singaporean is a good argument and I have a lot of points to support this. Just look at my first post.
>>
>>16816534
And what if the singaporean works for a french company? Don't be an idiot.
>>
>>16816343
You forgot one item: It's so because that's what his parents told him.
>>
>>16816537
I know that a lot of transnational companies operate in Singapore, but hey, all these companies communicate via English messages/emails/notices in Singapore so it's not like the hiring manager will give a shit about a French speaker. No local person will give a shot. And when a Singaporean goes to France, he is just "that Asian with a terrible accent". No French speaker will give a fuck as well.
>>16816549
Yeah my parents pointed out how pointless it is. But the point is they are right.
>>
>>16816693
It sounds like your parents are as smart as you.
>>
>>16816704
And what are you guys? Weeaboo NEETs who think that learning Japanese is "muh useful as it will get you all the pussy and you can watch anime all day without subtitles"? Good gracious, I bet a significant proportion of you have little life experience and hence you all are giving shitty advice.
A Singaporean secures a job by doing shit such as unpaid internships. Learning French, Spanish, German or whatever does not.
>>
>>16816712
I speak 5 languages and it has definitely helped in my career.
>>
>>16813260
Being this preoccupied with what other people do in their spare time is one of the most autistic things ever I've ever seen.

This is the third or fourth time I've seen this post on this board. Stop being such a faggot
>>
File: PdCjkMeh.jpg (19KB, 245x295px) Image search: [Google]
PdCjkMeh.jpg
19KB, 245x295px
O P i s a literal a u t i s t

Also is his name really Brandon?
>>
>>16816753
Yeah that's probably because you live in a country such as the Netherlands.
>>16816770
But learning a language for "fun" is really fucking pointless! Just look at my first point. No one gives a damn shit about some Singaporean learning French or Spanish so why even learn those languages?
>>
>>16816779
Because they understand how neat it is. You don't. You are a simple, uneducated kid.
>>
>>16816807
>simple, uneducated kid
I am a university student. And what are you guys? NEETs who think that Japanese is useful as you guys want to watch anime all day?
>>
>>16816848
Doesn't mean shit, there are a lot of dumbass students.

Lots of things are pointless if you analyze it too much. Why do people play guitar? That won't get you a job, no communicates via jaunty tune. Why do people watch movies? Movie knowledge is extremely pointless.

People do these things for their own enjoyment, not for employment, not for usefulness and not because it is a necessity. And believe me, learning a language is far from pointless especially French.
>>
>>16816848
Good for you on your liberal arts studies, or whatever useless thing you are learning. Japanese is one of the languages I learned for fun, and it did help me get a role where I deal with our Japanese office directly.
>>
>>16816886
Lots of Asian parents want their kids to learn music and a guitar player cab teach kids how to play a guitar? French in Singapore? Useless lol.
>>16816889
You are probably Korean or something so Japanese is not that useless.
>>
>>16816916
I'm pretty much the perfect example of why every one of your rants is wrong. I enjoy my work, and it pays well, you think it's impossible. I got a degree in something you think is useless. I learned languages, something you don't have the skills for.

And I'm white too, not that it matters. I'm simply a guy who is pretty successful in life because I made good decisions in life and have worked hard for them. I'm exactly someone you should listen to for life advice. But we all know you won't.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.