[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of my sons may have autism. Fuck my life.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: FB_IMG_1430156423651-1.jpg (46KB, 574x629px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1430156423651-1.jpg
46KB, 574x629px
One of my sons may have autism. Fuck my life.
>>
>>16812986
Now he can be one of us.
>>
Make sure to get yourself checked out too.

/thread
>>
Why cant it be a chance for you to grow as a person? Look at the positive
>>
>>16812988
>>16812989
I knew you would understand.

Someone here have autism, aside for the meme?
>>
>>16812992
I know it will be hard, on can only hope that their sons are fine. I suppose is a matter of get used to his needs.

Im still recovering for the news. He is 2 years old and don't speak or respond to his name. Our doctor said those are early signs of autism. The neuro psychiatrist will see him the Friday.
>>
>>16812996
Well, I'm sorry that this happend and I know it will be tough to deal with his needs, but I think that if you push through it then you will definitely become a better and stronger person through it and overall a better dad because of it. Goodluck!
>>
>>16812998
Thanks anon.
>>
You're not required to be an angel or bottle up and throw away how you feel about it. Doing that'll only make you feel worse about it but, and this is probably obvious to you so I won't patronize, try not to show it around your family
>>
>>16812986
make sure you get him checked out properly. they often get shit like this wrong. anyway, some people with autism can functional quite well and other are socially inept. my ex had a son with autism and he was a good kid although awfully strange
>>
As long as it's your wifes son it shouldn't matter
>>
this is why i am scared of having kids. autism is not too bad though. at least he doesn't have down syndrome.
>>
>>16812993
I do. I have PDD-NOS (a more severe form of autism than Asperger's). Had the typical warning signs and other shit when I was a toddler. What do you want to know about it?
>>
>>16813074
how does it make you differ from the average person? i was kind of friends with a guy in college that said he was autistic.
>>
>>16813074
Well everything you can tell me. But mainly what your parents did and what would you want they have done?
>>
>>16813095
>how does it make you differ from the average person?

It can be hard to see how one is different, since the disorder itself can make it hard to grasp this. For example, I didn't even know that people used body language, or that it was not normal to appear indifferent to others until recently. When you don't know what's normal, it's very hard to judge what's abnormal about you.

That said, here are some things that others have told me that give it away:
>abnormal tone of voice
>appearing indifferent to others most of the time
>being too preoccupied with very narrow interests
>inappropriate hand/finger movements
>repeating phrases/words from a movie/commercial/song over and over and over again

There's more to it, but these are the most important ones. Also, I would say that I have a different subjective experience from others. I'm usually away, in a sort of a "mental world" most of the time. Also, different sensory stimuli (like crowds, sounds, etc.), and stress often overwhelm me and make symptoms worse, and make me more withdrawn.

If you child indeed turns out to be autistic, avoid placing them in situations which have too much change/unexpected events, too many simulations, too much stress and too much social interaction. If you do place your child in these situations, don't be surprised when he gets irritable or goes nonverbal for some time. Autistic brain simply can't cope with handling all this and attempting to behave and function appropriately at the same time.
>>
>>16813127
Also, avoid touching your child, and avoid emotional communication. Don't change your tone of voice much or raise your voice (even when playing with them) like you would with a normal child. Avoid forcing them to look you in the eye - it only makes them function worse and may make them go nonverbal for some time again. It's a huge source of stress and frustration.

In other words, don't try to force them into situations or behaviors which only diminish their level of functioning and increase stress over the long term.

Also:
Start Applied Behavior Analysis (the standard autism therapy - talk to your doctor about it) as soon as possible. Early intervention has been shown to drastically improve outcomes. The earlier you get him diagnosed and provided with therapy, the more likely he is to become high functioning.
>>
>>16813127
>>16813143
Thank you, I really appreciate your response.
>>
Interesting read. My nephew is also showing some of the signs of autism. He's 3 and doesn't speak or even attempt to.

He still is in diapers. Is it possible to do something to toilet train him? At that age he really should have begun.
>>
>>16813196
My son (the one that might be austist) is in potty training right now. And he is going fine.

You just leave them without diapers and take them to the bathroom every now and then. Eventually they will wait for you to take them to the bathroom and then let you know when they have to go. But it is difficult because he don't speak. So I have to pay attention to his body language.
>>
>>16813206
He's only my nephew. I'm just a bit worried how his parents are raising him. I have a feeling they might be treating him like a retard.
>>
>>16813214
I don't know about diapers. I have meet kids of five that still use some kind of pull ups.
>>
>>16813127

If I repeat words that I hear just because I like how they sound,does it mean I'm an autist?
>>
File: 1455140799479.jpg (184KB, 679x960px) Image search: [Google]
1455140799479.jpg
184KB, 679x960px
>>16812986
Inferior life form. I'd give it away or something or have it put down. It's not going to be a useful human unless it's just washing dishes or something. Might as well try again or kill yourself.
>>
>>16812986
uugh
>be me
>be 17
>classmate has autism
>collects swords
>likes talking about his swords
>asks why he spends so much money on swords
>''not like im gonna spend it all on legos''
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.