[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I stay or should I go?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (1MB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1800x1350px
The title says it all. I've lived in Austin, TX for almost three years at the behest of my family who upped and relocated to be here. It's a long story but we're here because my brother and sister-in-law moved here due to one of them getting a job in the area, which triggered my parents to move here to be with the grandchildren.

I hate it here. There's just too much traffic and too many people. Speaking of the people, they're cliquey, insular and parochial in their own manner. It's easy to meet people, but hard to form bonds or make relationships that last or are meaningful.

I've debated moving back to Ohio. My parents are convinced our economy's going to collapse, [insert any and all fearmongering here] and that's a terrible idea according to them because of WW3, another Great Depression, any conceivable exigency.

Are they full of shit? I've lived in Ohio, Maryland, New York and a few other places and I like Texas just fine, but my honeymoon is ending with the state. Is toxicity reason enough to leave or should I tough it out?

Any other general advice? Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks.
>>
If you take up carpentry, you can work and live anywhere happily
>>
>>16797119
I have a friend who's always pressured me into going to the trades despite not knowing my ass from a hole in the ground and being all thumbs. Carpentry is cool but likely not for me, which is too bad because real estate and the need for houses is booming here.
>>
>>16797111
Which part of the state for lovers are you from? Move back but move to cincy. Still ohio but easier to meet people than northern ohio
>>
>>16797111
It's easier to live near where you have family. But yeah Austin for young adults seems like a really annoying combination of Texan hicks and shallow hipsters.

You have job skills or friends back in Ohio? If you do, it might be worth trying to line up a job and then move back.

I'm originally from the east coast but live in the Los Angeles and I have a similar problem to you: it's easy to meet people, but hard to make real friends. Most of my close friends that live in the area are either people I knew from the east coast, or people who came from the east coast, because they're the only ones willing to actually make the effort to be friends.
>>
>>16798391
I used to live in Cincy actually. Went to Miami and UC and a couple local schools for Jr. high and high school.
>>
>>16798435
>hicks and hipsters
Yep. Spot on bro. I might just apply to this job in Ohio even though it's four hours away from friends. But agreed on the difficulty in making lasting relationships. I met this dude who went to school in Ohio from Oregon and we became fast friends but it has since evaporated when he got engaged and a new job. Otherwise it's difficult.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.