[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have no interest in pursuing a career. I don't much c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: 1454297341692.jpg (27KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
1454297341692.jpg
27KB, 720x576px
I have no interest in pursuing a career.
I don't much care for interpersonal relationships or social status either.

Though I am studying something, the main focus of my life is escapism.
It's worth noting that I do have some problems with anxiety and depression.
No friends and not much desire for friends.

I almost certainly have this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant_personality_disorder

What should I do?
Are there any easy part-time jobs I can get to fund a minimalist lifestyle?

>just find something you're passionate about bro
I am so fucking tired of hearing this shit. Please do not post anything like this.
Almost nobody enjoys going to work. Just let that meme die.
>>
I enjoy my work immensely. I hated studying the exact same subject because everything was catered to the lowest common denominator. I just didn't have any motivation when I could breeze through classes without really doing anything and I had doubts about the career choice overall.

Then I got an internship and everything changed. I could really show how good I was and I didn't have to wait for the guys that couldn't keep up with me at school. The people who don't enjoy their jobs are those who picked a major based on how much money they can make instead of choosing something they love. Or they got into corporate hell.
>>
>>16794097
This doesn't help me at all.
Picking a major based on 'love' can potentially land you with no job prospects at all.
For example, psychology is over-saturated and philosophy is...completely useless.

Not everyone is like you. My father enjoys his job as well. He get's paid fuck all, his wife cheated on him and once he retires nobody will care about or remember him.
Do you understand my train of thought yet?
>>
>>16794108
You can make plenty of money on any field. And if you're good there will be work no matter what your profession is. Though both of those require you to work hard and in some fields it pretty much requires you to start your own company.
>>
>>16794072
>>just find something you're passionate about bro
>I am so fucking tired of hearing this shit. Please do not post anything like this.

Fucking this.
Society isn't built on people following their passions. The people at the post office aren't just burning with passion for mail. And that's fine. They're more likely just people who happen to find an agreeable ratio of contentment in the tasks their job involves, and the money/lifestyle it provides. That's all most people are doing.

And being passionate about a thing doesn't remotely mean that you'll be passionate about what a career involving that thing looks like. Plenty of people are passionate about art, but that doesn't mean they're passionate about self-promotion and teaching and advertising and fan pandering and all the other tasks that are vital to an art career that don't include their actual passion of sitting down and making art. If the latter is all you have, do not fucking pursue art as a career.

Pardon the tangent, I just hate this stupid society-killing lie. There are plenty of people whom the passion speech applies to, but the majority can't afford to buy into it even if they want to, because society would collapse. There's a reason today's youth is stuck with crippling education dept, absolutely zero job prospects, and feeling utterly fucking lost.
"Follow your passion" is a very recent phenomenon. It's not smart, it's not healthy, and it doesn't fucking work. It's just wishful thinking from the generation that got 5 times knocked up by 25, took any job they could get to feed those mouths, and didn't blink into the light until they were fucking 50 and could finally have some kind of a life.

Pardon the second tangent. I'm just passionate. Maybe I should do this for a living.
>>
>>16794108
Oh and your mom being a shitty person and your dad not being able to take care of his finances doesn't mean shit here. As long as you don't have a minimum wage job you should have enough saved for retirement once you hit that age.
>>
>>16794146

A lot of people are passionate about things that have nothing to do with their occupation/career. Virtually anyone can follow a passion of one sort or another, if they're not afraid to live, that is.
>>
>>16794145
>And if you're good
>if
Most people aren't good.
For every winner there has to be 10 losers.
>>16794150
Like I said, I don't care about money.
My dad takes very good care of his finances. He is basically upper middle class.
I was just referring to his life in general. It's not the kind of life I want for myself and I don't have much respect for him.

>>16794146
I'm glad you understand but this isn't helping me.
I'd rather be dead than work full-time as a typical wageslave of any kind.
Tech school is depressing/hard enough as it is.
>>
>>16794180
>I'd rather be dead than work full-time as a typical wageslave of any kind.

Do you mean any hourly work whatsoever?
>>
>>16794160
>A lot of people are passionate about things that have nothing to do with their occupation/career.
And that's great. The problem is when retarded adults push kids to pursue those passions as a career, instead of aiding them in considering careers that will allow them to pursue those passions as a personal lifestyle.
>>
I came on /adv/ to see if I could find some answers and this is the first thread I see.
It seems like we have a common problem with that Avoidant Personality Disorder.

The best alternative to a full time job is looking into freelance work. There are tons of websites for it. The only hitch is you gotta sign up. After that though you find the jobs you want to do, throw your hat in the ring, and do the job.
>>
You need to narrow this shit down, OP. As it stands, you're basically just asking if part time jobs exist. Not much to say other than: Yes, go get one.
>>
File: Crystalnacht.jpg (51KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
Crystalnacht.jpg
51KB, 453x604px
>>16794072
>Though I am studying something, the main focus of my life is escapism.

Thats Ok. Thats not more or less legitimate than what anyone else enjoys spending their life time doing.

However - have you considered doing a job that is 'alright' and not your passion ie like most people, because it might be good for you? Even if every second is not like super joy?
>>
>>16794207
I'm speaking from experience. I mean I dont love every second, but I have grown as a person in terms of confidence and my knowledge (of people and the adult world in general). I think its made me a happier person and more generally at ease with myself. For reference I'm a propane price analyst.
>>
>>16794146
This post.
Its the biggest cliche "lifes what you make it" ohh really! Well I want to be a fucking astronaut or a pilot....ohh my hearing, eyesight an I.Q not good enough....well I thought life is what you make it!
No life is what "they" have made it, they being the greedy and power hungry.

Ive had a fucked up life, no foundation no qualifications, but society has been created that piece's of paper deem your worth, so say despite im naturally good with computers, or compassionate towards people. I cant get a job as a hardware or software engineer because of no qualifications or a job as a social worker because of no qualifications and a criminal record.
The irony is strong is this world.

Yeah some people may say, be a mature student. Even if I could tolerate 100k+ debt, after spending litterally 5 years doing stuff I don't want to do, being in extreme poverty finishing in my mid-late 30's. Who says im gonna pass or even if I did be guaranteed a job in the sector I want.
>>
>>16794191
I might not be smart enough for freelance.
It's not very steady work either.

>>16794196
I think I just wanted to know if other people feel this way.
It seems like the rest of the world just focuses on careers and family.

>>16794207
>>16794210
I suspect/worry that any job is going to make me miserable because they are pretty much all the same to an extent.
Just studying makes me so miserable as it is. It's a wonder I've made it this far.
>>
>>16794212
>Its the biggest cliche "lifes what you make it" ohh really! Well I want to be a fucking astronaut or a pilot....ohh my hearing, eyesight an I.Q not good enough....well I thought life is what you make it!

You're misunderstanding it. "Life's what you make it" doesn't mean you control the reality of what happens in your life, it means you control you reactions to it. It means you overcome obstacles or find new ways around them instead of using them as excuses for not even trying.
>>
>>16794217
>pretty much all the same to an extent.

I work in an office - I imagine the vast majority of similar jobs involve the same things I do - answering phones, sending emails, writing reports, tabulating in excel and helping older colleagues resolve wifi and printer issues.

But I like my job, I like the people I work with, and I like my not astronomical salary. I read ur wiki - it basically says 1) anxious around others 2) dont like criticism 3) constant negative thoughts.

I understand these things and Im not going to try and tell you not to be yourself - but self creation is as important as self discovery. But before creation, you are going to have to chill out and accept yourself.
>>
>>16794217
>I suspect/worry that any job is going to make me miserable because they are pretty much all the same to an extent.

How old are you and how many jobs have you had?
>>
>>16794236
I've done some very casual work in the past as a cleaner.
Had a couple weeks of work experience in a warehouse.
Did work placement somewhere else (8 hours, once a week for 5 weeks).

None of it was particularly enjoyable though cleaning was for 6 months and their wasn't much social interaction which I liked.
Employers only want social butterflies nowadays anyway. Just another reason why I hate all this rubbish.
>>
File: its-not-your-fault.jpg (27KB, 434x289px) Image search: [Google]
its-not-your-fault.jpg
27KB, 434x289px
>>16794244
Right - no offence - but what is the quality of people you expect in this area?

I promise you that only one step up, you will probably be more satisfied. Whatcha studying out of interest?
>>
>>16794244
>Employers only want social butterflies nowadays anyway. Just another reason why I hate all this rubbish.

For certain customer-facing jobs that is usually desirable but by and large employers simply want people that can function well enough socially to do the job they're being paid to do, don't have to be a "social butterfly", just be somewhat pleasant and polite.
>>
>>16794244
>Just another reason why I hate all this rubbish.

The rubbish is your attitude. You're written off even try to find something you'd find interesting or engaging. I guarantee you there are hundreds of thousands of kinds of jobs you never heard that could have you doing things you'd never imagine.

It's not all rubbish, there's some cool shit out there. Rubbish is giving up because you don't have the guts to choose a path a stay with it.
>>
>>16794072

Just find something you're passionate about.
>>
>>16794256
I've actually worked with some really great people. I just don't like socializing is all.

It's computer related. I'm not smart enough for it.

>>16794257
I tried to get a job at a supermarket. All they are looking for is people that stand-out and have charisma.
That is not me and it never will be.

>>16794274
>there's some cool shit out there
Subjective. What do you classify as 'cool'?

>>16794280
Thanks senpai.
>>
you sound lazy and boring as fuck and not someone i'd ever want to be friends with in a thousand years
>>
>>16794284
No but really find something you're passionate about.
>>
File: This is a visual representation.png (199KB, 412x362px) Image search: [Google]
This is a visual representation.png
199KB, 412x362px
>>16794284
>I just don't like socializing is all.
>It's computer related.

I see a way forward for you anon.

I think evvvverything is going to beeeee just daaaaaaandy.
>>
>>16794072
Be a truck driver anon it would give you a lot of time to think. I personally bar tend part time I used to work in an office but working 2 to 3 days a week gives me time to focus on other shit. If your not social you could always get a job in a dive bar so you dont have to talk to many people.
>>
>>16794288
That's probably why I have no friends.

>>16794290
You have to deal with customers and work in teams. IT is a very social field of work.

>>16794294
I would like that but too scared to drive big truck like that.
>>
>>16794212
There is literally nothing else than lack of self discipline that's holding most people down. You can come from the worst inner city ghetto and still graduate from an ivy league uni.

>i can't get a job as a software engineer because no qualifications
Nigga what? Like half the software engineers I know don't have a degree. I don't have a degree and I'm working on financial software that handles billions of dollars. You're holding yourself down, instead of doing something to fix the situation you just act as if it's not your fault and blame others.

>>16794227
This so much
>>
>>16794297
>You have to deal with customers and work in teams. IT is a very social field of work.

You know, the western world bends over to accommodate you and for not break backing labour you are given a very high quality of life. If you lived in about 80% of where everyone else is you would have been eaten by wolves or died in the street by now. Me and my team of street urchin children are striping your dead body of possessions to sell at market place - how does that make you feel?
>>
>>16794284
>Subjective. What do you classify as 'cool'?

It doesn't matter what he classifies as cool, that's not what he's saying. If you think there are literally no jobs on the planet that you'd enjoy, then just kill yourself or scavenge in the woods.
>>
>>16794307
Not that anon but how much upkeep does a team of street urchins need?
>>
>>16794317
Each urchin operates as his own franchise so performance is dependant on each members ability. I am in no way applying upkeep (and therefore am not legally responsible) for any of the urchins that thieve under my brand.
>>
>>16794284
>Subjective. What do you classify as 'cool'?

No shit it's subjective. For me "cool" is working in the operations control tower of a major airline at one of its biggest hubs. Before that "cool" was being a baggage handler; I was basically paid to work out, read books, and kick it. I got a degree while working full time and did most of my studying on the clock. My schedule is crazy flexible, the benefits are awesome, I fly for free, and I have a job I find challenging and engaging. That's cool to me.

I would suggest you look into it yourself, airlines are often hiring for ramp agents, but I know you have a half-dozen excuses not to even try.
>>
I have exactly the same problem. I just don't find meaning or content in anything. I'm not interested in career and money, greed and pride disgusts me, I'm not interested in women, I find them obnoxious and unlikable, I left all of my friends because I didn't find any substance in the friendship. I generally avoid people and get tense when I'm wrong them.
What helped me is doing something where I'm left alone for extended periods of time to do my job myself. The worst part in doing a job for me was to interact with colleagues. Try to keep social interaction to a minimum and you will find your place.
>>
>>16794338
>I know you have a half-dozen excuses not to even try.
I only need one excuse: that sounds fucking terrible.
I'm obviously nothing like you.
>>
File: goaway.jpg (26KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
goaway.jpg
26KB, 500x377px
>>16794307
>le 'man up' meme
>other people have it harder than you brah
>>
>>16794364
>I want change
>I dont want to change anything

Its not that Im trying to get you to man up, its that I'm sad I dont IRL have street urchins riding wolves. I think it could be like one of those Pierre in War and Peace redemptive experiences where you would learn the value of living.
>>
I don't feel ya OP, but I currently work as a cashier, and it's dogshite.

Smiling at so many of these people is annoying as hell. I want to avoid being with too many people as well.

So, I'm gonna go make some websites and stuff to get me off the ground and then games and software.

I very much dislike the average population.

You ever consider programming?
>>
>>16794382
I would love to learn the value of living.
Maybe I'll have a change of heart if I at least attempt suicide.

>>16794383
No opportunities for that where I am. I suppose it could be okay.
>>
>>16794395
>I didn't mean to do it for someone else. I meant to like make apps and websites and shit.

I have no intention of NOT doing it as my own business. I don't wanna work for some0one else, lol.

Worst case for me might be spending a bit of time as a temp/contractor until one of my things works good.
But, I plan to finish my current project by June-ish
>>
>>16794072
Get a night shift somewhere throwing boxes around. There you go, an easy life with zero contact for the modern misanthrope.

>Almost nobody enjoys going to work.
hue
>>
>>16794362

Then find something that suits you, faggot, it's subjective.
>>
>>16794395
>no opportunities for programming where I'm at.
More fucking excuses.

First of all you obviously have internet access. That is literally the only thing besides a computer you need for a programming job. You don't even need to be in the same country as the job.

Secondly not being willing to relocate is the single biggest reason for unemployment. You're young, you don't have mortgage, 2 kids and a wife keeping you tied down to a certain location. Don't just sit on your ass in bumfuck nowhere and complain how there are no jobs. Instead do something about it and start applying for jobs everywhere.

Your problem is that you're a lazy shit who doesn't even try.
>>
File: 1454035688027.gif (146KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
1454035688027.gif
146KB, 300x375px
>>16794448
>internet access is literally the only thing besides a computer you need for a programming job.
>Secondly not being willing to relocate is the single biggest reason for unemployment
>you're just lazy bro
>I know literally everything about you
>I'm getting upset for no reason
>>
Listen up, faggot. I have the exact same issue as you. Same disorder, want to drop of Uni, my main focus is escapism.

With that attitude, you're not getting out of that hole. Being passionate about something and dedicating your life to said activity is truly the best option. If you dont like working around people, do it from home. You're intelligent enough to start an e-business and you fucking know it.

In the relationships department, do what I did and find a girl that also has APD. You will find most people with APD have a similar stance in life.

Lastly, the best fucking advice I can give you is that you must see a psycjiatrist ASAP. The earlier you treat yourself, the sooner the anxiety will disappear.
>>
>>16794502
He doesn't care anon. If he did he would have figured this all out long ago.
>>
>>16794513

He reminds of my little brother, 17. He is a lazy fucking asshole and puts up excuses for everything. Thats the absolute worst shit people can do. Once, that little faggot was really sick, couldmt move from the pain and shit. and I immediatly offered him to take him to an hospital. His response? "Im not that sick, its nothing important".

I decided to grow him some balls. "Listen up, you little shit. Do you know you're going to fucking die if you dont grab your ass and go to that goddamn ass hospital? DO YOU KNOW WHAT MEANS TO FUCKING DIE? CAN YOU GUESS THE FUCKING HEADLINES TOMORROW? LITTLE SHIT DIES BECAUSE HE WAS TOO LAZY TO GO TO AN HOSPITAL 5 MINUTES AWAY FROM HIS HOME?

The thing is, it worked. The faggot started crying, cooled off and went to sleep. He only had some gastritis. I still try to be a good brother to him, as he doesnt has a father figure. We play Smash Bros every weekend and Im taking him to watch Deadpool the next week.

Point is, excuses are worth shit and OP shouldnt use them like hes doing right now. Once I figured out I had APD, I used it as a excuse for everything wrong with me, which was not good. Faggot OP must learn that his faults are enterily because of him and not because some shitty external factor worthy of an excuse.

To OP: Wait a couple of years. You will grow out of this shit eventually, as I did.
>>
>>16794072
Fascinating, how many people see having "a job" as not only the only socially acceptable, but only possibility there is !? Narrow mind much. Why give a fuck ? We are a bunch of atoms in the end. Good or bad is nonexistent. Just do whatever the fuck you please, our universe is deterministic anyway
>>
>>16794529
What faults ? Theres nothing wrong with OP for not wanting a job. How much of a sheeple are you even for judging him because he doesnt like participating in capitalist society.
>>
>>16794072
>just find something you're passionate about bro
Is not about work, faggot. You don't need a job to survive in the first world. It's simply about finding something you want out of life, escapism is a shitty goal and drugs are the best way to "achieve" it. At some point you'll want to escape from your escapism.

>Are there any easy part-time jobs I can get to fund a minimalist lifestyle?
All of them? Easy is mainly down to your attitude, since most jobs are objectively easy.

>psychology is over-saturated and philosophy is...completely useless.
Bullshit ^2.

>he retires nobody will care about or remember him
So your desire is to be remembered?
>>
>>16794559

OP's faults as in excuses.

I never said he should have a job. I dont have one either. What OP is doing is using excuses for every advice we are giving him to not follow them, and then, what was the point of making this thread?

also the fuck is a sheeple m8?
>>
>>16794570
Sheeple is a derogatory term that highlights the passive herd behavior of people easily controlled by a governing power which likens them to sheep, a herd animal that is easily led about.

but you are actually right, you didnt do that. I apologize.
>>
>>16794582

It's allright m8, no prob.
>>
>>16794559

Capitalists aren't the only people with jobs. And you're not even required to get a job as a capitalist, it's only if you actually want to make any money. Don't want to work? That's fine, let's see how well you do.
>>
How the fuck do you people exist without jobs?
>>
>>16794620
How's life in Africa, mate?
>>
didn't read through the thread but look anon I like music and want it to be my life, but ofcourse it is not that easy so I am going to a shit business economy uni just so my parents keep me alive and fed and if I don't make it in music till the end of my uni I will find the most basic 9 to 5 job with no outside work so I can really focus on my music and just keep grinding until I can have a steady pay from my music and fuck off my degree entirely

hope it makes sense
>>
>>16794529

>To OP: Wait a couple of years. You will grow out of this shit eventually, as I did.
And how did you do it ?
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.