[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depression Medication

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1455160190339.jpg (166KB, 1300x1198px) Image search: [Google]
1455160190339.jpg
166KB, 1300x1198px
I've been suffering from depression for maybe five years now. It has come and gone, varying in length and intensity.

Twice I went to a doctor within two years, and both times when they recommended me to see a psychiatrist for a proper medication prescription (neither doctor believed in prescribing medication without a real head examination) I backed down out of pride and apathy. I would get into a good swing and tell myself I didn't need it.

Well now I'm a student teacher, working with 7th and 8th graders. /adv/, these kids deserve better. I'm doing fine as a teacher, but I had a period of three days this week where suddenly I was useless after bumping into an ex who is trying to play headgames. It set off the depression bad and nearly crippled me.

So here I am /adv/, admitting I need the meds. Can ANYONE, please tell me what it's like to take them. Is it like night and day? Will they really make me happy?
>>
Meds will not make you happy overnight. In fact, meds won't make the depression go away. However, they'll give you a much needed boost so you may face your problems yourself. Meds are not a magic cure; they're just part of a bigger treatment plan. If you take meds but refuse to do much else to fight your depression, they won't be of any help.

It can take you some time to find the correct prescription for you and feel any difference. There are all sorts of antidepressants and people react differently to them.

For these reasons people give up early and believe they don't do anything at all. Truth is you're the only one that can get yourself out of depression, meds are only there to give you the boost you need.
>>
Sometimes meds put you into remission, but typically they just make your depression symptoms lighter. You'll feel better. You'll be the same person you've always been -- there's no buzz, there's no artificial happiness -- just... better. More like how you'd be if you weren't depressed.

>>16793114 is right: "Meds are not a magic cure; they're just part of a bigger treatment plan." Seeing a therapist is a really important thing to do.

I've been through cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy; both helped me for a while but after three or four years of it I hit a plateau and it hasn't been very helpful since. My therapist might just suck, though.

Don't be afraid to switch meds if one isn't working, or to talk to your doctor about adjusting the dosage or whatever. A lot of people start antidepressants and quit them early, when they could have tried another antidepressant, upped the dose, et cetera.

They're not a magic cure, but they really do help.
>>
>>16793133
>>16793114

It's just super hard seeing a shrink and admitting defeat. I know I shouldn't see it that way, but I have to.

Then there's the fact that my depression will probably cause me to go "this doctor fucked up the first prescription, he'll fuck up the next one too."
>>
>>16793156
Good luck! I hope it goes well for you and that you keep with it.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.