[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cop or educated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Hey. I'm 19 years old and I have the opportunity to study in the field of Translation with a 100% scholarship, however I do not believe this to be a path in life which I wish to follow. I've always had a knack with languages, literature and have been a hobbyist writer since childhood, but I don't believe I will enjoy basing my career around it.

Also have I seen my brother, who is a police officer, greatly improve in his life from pretty much every aspect, whether it be financially or personally. So I have considered too becoming a cop; the pay is good, it teaches me the discipline I so badly need and it IS much more exciting than a possible career in literate and/or translation.

Whilst education is a more firm step which will grant me a stable life, I believe this is the time of my life where I should be taking risks. If not now, then when?

English is not my first language, obviously.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>16791791
Go police. More job stability, room for advancement, a tight-knit fraternity, pay, then you'll EVER get as a translator.

Better yet, get educated first, THEN go police, and you might be getting called 'chief' or 'agent' one day
>>
man fuck the police, its usually full of retards who didnt go to college so they have to settle

go for the scholarship ffs
>>
>>16791860
Lol stoners
>>
I'm a professional translator. It's a good segment, with excellent pay and entirely flexible working conditions - I can work any time, on my own schedule, and anywhere in the world.

On the flipside, it can be stressful, and you need to be able to manage your own time, meeting tough deadlines on long projects.

I'd also point out that for the vast majority of real world translating jobs, skills in writing, language, and literature actually count for very little. Take a look at the last few documents I've translated:

- Technical specifications for heavy plant equipment
- A company's annual financial report
- A contract for building power lines
- An environmental impact assessment for a power plant

This is the kind of work that pays the bills, with large word counts and repeat custom. Nobody is going to read these things cover to cover. At best, they'll be used for reference. Clients do not care AT ALL about the quality of your writing. They want something technically accurate, and most of all they want it on time.

The key skills of translating are:

- Mainlining espresso to hammer out up to 30,000 words per day
- Googling shit
- Learning loads about wastewater treatment technologies, contract law, technical standards, and most of all, switchgear. Endless, endless switchgear.

I think this is maybe not the career for you, and you should certainly consider going into law enforcement, but I'm also going to make a slightly left field suggestion for another sector that might be right up your street: carpentry. Great job security, good pay, low stress, and a friendly working environment.
>>
Being a fucking cop is stressful as hell and you get put in worst situations because thats your job.

Just saying. Where I live cops gotta work in the city in the shit before they can relax in the burbs and earn that pay
check

Oh and you can die
>>
>>16791791
why not both environments as a station-based translator for the police that arrest naughty foreigners
>>
>>16791791
are there any strings attached to the scholarship? If not, go to school. Focus on learning, and not on getting a degree.

Translation is a good skill to have. It's always useful, and always in demand (until machine translations get good enough in 10 years time lol), so you'll have some sort of job security, and it will always be a bonus on your resume for almost any job.

Use the scholarship to explore other things you can do. You said you're good with language. Use this chance to learn to write or something.

If you become a cop, it's going to be much harder to change track.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.