[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have my very, very, very first job interview today in 4 hours.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: ghgh.png (86KB, 216x235px) Image search: [Google]
ghgh.png
86KB, 216x235px
I have my very, very, very first job interview today in 4 hours.

How do I not fuck this up.
>>
Just be calm and don't be a douche. What it's the job position?
>>
>>16789985
storage grunt at a dairy factory. nothing fancy, but a job is a job and I ain't got a proper education
>>
>>16789988
they're probably looking for someone who seems like they'd show up on time
>>
>>16790019
I have a pretty nice record of showing up to things on time, but I am also very small and they might want to hire someone who's big.
>>
>>16790037
there's no use worrying about things which you can't control (at least at this point, obviously on a long enough timeline you could fix that)

i'm an excellent interviewee and it's because i come in with a lot of positive energy and enthusiasm. if you're a small guy (4u) but you show a drive to do a good job and some ambition i think it'd work in your favor; subconsciously they'll interpret that energy as someone who's going to be more active when it comes to grunt work.

but again i emphasize this sounds like a job where you're competing against others without proper educations and there's a stigma attached to that, that those people would be lazier, would care less, might be flaky employees. anyway that you could present yourself and demonstrate personality characteristics that fight that stigma would probably help you a lot.

good luck anon
>>
>>16790070
>positive energy
does "I am tiny and insecure but I will overcompensate my insecurities by working super hard" count?

And no, you don't need a proper education to do grunt work. You do grunt work because you don't have a proper education.

Thank you.
>>
>>16790070
a few things i want to add, these are great general interview questions to ask your interviewer:

-ask what their most successful and favorite employees do in their position, how they work, lead, conduct themselves
-ask the same of their less successful ones

questions like that demonstrate ambition (you want to be a good employee, you want to learn) in a soft and palatable way and also demonstrate interest in the position, imo a big positive for showing you're a different kind of uneducated worker

my field is more technical but i think these questions translate well to any interview
>>
>>16790083
okay, I'll try that.

Talking about people who aren't present isn't really good manners where I'm from, but I'll try to figure out some way.
>>
>>16790078
>does "I am tiny and insecure but I will overcompensate my insecurities by working super hard" count?

you have to say it in a subtle way the cues them to come to that conclusion. that's why i'm suggesting these questions to ask the interviewer.

speaking of grunt work i'll give you a short story example from an interview that led to a job i was just offered:

my field is engineering and the position pays extremely well but i am coming in as a junior employee into a group that's entirely senior people 40 years old and above.

so the interviewer tells me, you're not going to be managing projects right away, we're totally swamped. you'll be doing a lot of grunt work (verbatim), and can include anything including filing documents.

and my response (paraphrased) was that i had no problem doing any job they need me to do, that doing the lowest level work would be a great way to learn the group's processes, and that it would be a win-win to reduce their workload of bullshit tasks while teaching me the ropes. i'm here to help and learn and want to do so in any fashion, and i don't consider any task beneath me.

so i demonstrate my team-centric attitude and ambition while at the same time saying, i know where i'm going to be on the totem pole and i have no problem with it, because it's in both my best interests and their team's.

but if i come out and say "i'm ready to bust my butt" it just sounds like an answer looking for a question. why do you want to work hard in that position? because i'm the interviewer and it sounds like something i want to hear?
>>
I'm a passenger service agent at an airport, and pretty good at interviews. Also my job is of course very people oriented.

- don't think of it like an interview
- engage in conversation
- ask them questions, talk about the weather
- ask about uniforms and all that
- smile. Eye contact.

They'll say "tell me about yourself" talk about your past school/work experience. Say you're very good with time as always reliable.

Again, think of it as a casual conversation.
>>
>>16790102
>Talking about people who aren't present isn't really good manners where I'm from, but I'll try to figure out some way.

it could be a really general question i think... surely they have past employees they liked or didn't like for various reasons. where are you from? i'm from the USA.
>>
>>16790116
Okay so telling the truth in a way that doesn't sound like I'm lying?

>>16790119
My problem is that I don't have any formal job experience. Would explaining that I've had to invest much of my free time to look after my family (mother and sister) help?

>>16790120
Finland. Gossip is considered to be a women's thing around here, inviting another man to talk shit about a third man who's not there would be considered weird and effeminate.
>>
>>16790129
>Okay so telling the truth in a way that doesn't sound like I'm lying?
pretty much

>Finland. Gossip is considered to be a women's thing around here, inviting another man to talk shit about a third man who's not there would be considered weird and effeminate.
over here it's not looked at like that at all. it's not like you ask about a specific person, just the "kind" of employee who's good or not.

maybe just stick to asking what makes a good employee at the job. do you feel that's still too gossip-y?
>>
>>16790137
I'll ask them what they want and talk about the shit I've done (when asked) in a way that makes it obvious that I'm capable and willing to work.
>>
>>16790148
you got it

no need to be nervous the fact you care enough to come here and asks means you're engaged

godspeed finanon
>>
>>16790156
wait

is everyone else really that bad at job interviews??

I thought everyone was unemployed because of the shit economy?
>>
>>16790129
Depends, how old are you?

Lie and say you've house sat as well as your experience watching the kids, and on a schedule basis.

If you can just make the point that you're reliable.
>>
>>16790160
>is everyone else really that bad at job interviews??

plenty of them are and still get employed.

>I thought everyone was unemployed because of the shit economy?

employment rate in the united states is actually pretty healthy
>>
>>16790161
I'm about to turn 22.

And my sister is an older one, I'm gonna explain that she's clinically depressed (maybe not use that word) and couldn't do shit at home so while mom's working all house work falls on me.

Single-handedly keeping a household together has to amount to something, right?

Especially since I did a few years of it long-distance. I'd travel back home to do the house work every two weeks.
>>
>>16790173
Okay

Also when they ask "do you have any questions for me?" just ask about training and your potential schedule availability.
>>
>>16790188
Oh ok, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

The only question I had an answer for was "what's your greatest weakness?"

Job interviews.

I am literally fucking atrocious at convincing people I am not awful.
>>
Dress really nice, and right when you walk into those front doors...think to yourself "I don't want this job."
>>
>>16790294
I'm dressed a lot more neat than usual - I'm not wearing a hoodie and nothing I have on is broken.
>>
>>16789966
I always find it helpful to remember that they want to hire you. Like they need someone to fill the position and if your the person for that they are gonna be happy with you. Go in and prove that, not only are you going to be great at the job, but that you will be pretty sweet to work with any way
>>
>>16790329
I wish I could just take my sister along and just say "If I can live with her for 20 years, I can work with any of y'all" and that'd be it.
>>
I GOT THE JOB I GOT THE JOB I GOT THE JOB I GOT THE JOB
>>
>>16790811
Congrats and checked...
>>
>>16790853
[high-pitched shrieking]
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.