[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sending Emails to your Professor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1136x640px
I have this assignment in my freshman English class, we're just supposed to pretend we're struck with illness and have to persuade the professor to grant us an extension via email, but I'm having a little difficulty figuring out a really effective way of typing it out

Mainly with the subject, should I just type out "Extension request for so and so assignment" right then, or just state that I have a question regarding so and so assignment and further explain in the email?

I'm really kind of bad with communicating effectively and all, so any advice you guys might have will be great
>>
It sounds like this is a good assignment for working on those written communication skills, particularly as an ability to communicate effectively by email is so important in today's world. However, as you're clearly having trouble with it, you may need some extra time. I'm not one to advocate academic malpractice, but perhaps a little white lie might be in order: just drop the professor an email pretending to be ill, and see whether he won't give you some extra time to work on it.
>>
>>16783527
>assignment in my freshman English class
>pretend we're struck with illness and have to persuade the professor to grant us an extension

Why not just admit it fagget
>>
>>16783527
When is this due? Tell him you ate some bad sushi and are having trouble concentrating and shit. Ask for an extension.
>>
>>16783527
Just tell her you had to work on your carpentry project to become a better man in the future, she'll give you that extension.
>>
>>16783527

The subject line is good.

Dear professor ( if they have a PH.D., you better type Dr.),

I've been unable to complete my assignment due to illness. I request an extension on so and so assignment. Documentation of my said condition is enclosed in this email. (hopefully you're attached proper documentation). Thank you for your time.

Regards, anon.
>>
>>16783527
Let the pro give you some advice:

1) just put the assignment name/number in the subject line

2) state concisely that you were ill (general info only, but don't just say that you've been sick or not feeling well and *do not go into/make up any specifics unless asked for them in a response email) also state that this has been going on for a few days and didn't just start yesterday.

3) state that you've been doing your best to keep up with the work while ill, but you just don't think that you can get this one done on time.

4) ask for a reasonable extension depending on the assignment size/difficulty, but one day (or the next class meeting) should be enough. Act sorry about the circumstances, but don't beg.

5) state that you will continue to work on the assignment as best you can while waiting to hear back, and say that you understand if an extension in your case is not possible and state that you will turn in what you have/accept a late penalty.

It also really helps if you have a good relationship with the professor and have generally turned in homework for the class on time.
>>
>>16783594
This is too tryhard and will only work/is needed on super-hardass professors.

Most really don't care that much and just want to know that you care about the class and are trying.
>>
>>16783527
As someone who's learned to lie as a defense mechanism here's what I generally do:

1. come up with something believable that people will accept as fact with little convincing, the best is when you stretch the truth rather than make up a lie. In your case, the flu, food poisoning, etc etc

2. explain the effort you've made to overcome your ailment (note this can also be a lie). e.g. "I was up all night trying to finish this assignment but I'm just too ill to continue working on it"

3. Think of common questions some one may ask, and be ready. e.g. "Did you see a doctor?" "my family doctor is a very busy person who takes appointments weeks in advance" Most people will just accept your lie upfront with no questions, however some people like to know more about what happened. Depends on your relation to the person.

4. (this point probably doesn't apply) don't do this too often, or people will figure out you're just a liar.
>>
Come on guise, this is supposedly higher education; you don't need to put your hand up and get a hall pass to use the john. You're basically doing the prof the courtesy of informing them the task will be late; it's not like they could say no.
>>
>>16783527
>asks advice on how to write a eloquent letter
>Asks in a fucking superb way
>>
>>16783605

How is it too try hard? It's the bare minimum of what you have to say, and by far the most appropriate. That said, it's the only format I've ever used for this scenario.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.