[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start martial arts. Could anyone recommend me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: th.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
I want to start martial arts. Could anyone recommend me a specific type?
>>
jiu jitsu and muay thai
>>
Krav Maga is the shit. Also, it's fairly widely considered to be the most effective martial art in self-defense, and you may as well get that benefit if you're going to do it.

>basically the argument is Krav Maga vs MMA
>>
Avoid taekwondo, it's mostly a competitive sport these days. It didn't used to be, but it is now.

Karate is good. Kempo is solid, Shuri-ryu is about 60% hands 40% feet with some leg sweeps, Shotokan is about 50/50.

Kung Fu instruction is a mixed bag in the US. If you're a smaller person wing-chun is good if you can find a reputable instructor, but I've typically found their kicking to be weak and their counter grappling methodology is based on how solid a grappler your opponent is compared to how skilled a trapper you are. A green wing-chun fighter is going to have a lot of trouble moving on a grappler with more experience.

Judo, hapkido, jiujitsu, and aikido are all good arts. A lot of the old school TKD dojos used to teach hapkido along with their main art since it was a sister art, but those days are more or less over. Just be aware that going to the ground in a street fight is a good way to get killed by the buddies of the guy you're fighting.

SHIT TO AVOID
>Krav Maga, I have never seen a reputable instructor outside of Israel
>Jeet-Kun Do, most reputable JKD I've seen was taught as JKD inspired wing-chun, which was Bruce Lee's original style, lack of centralized leadership is why grifters take advantage of JKD's reputation as above with Krav Maga
>Ninjitsu/Taijitsu, unless you're learning from a 80 year old Japanese man who is inexplicably taking on Western students you aren't learning from the source, much less a reputable source
>>
>>16779097
There are organizations that license people for Krav Maga and originate in Israel. I wouldn't trust anyone without that sort of thing.

There are about four reputable ones, iirc.
>>
>>16779097
Karate will fuck up your hips if you do it for a long time
>>
>>16779062

it really depends what body type you arer. Also avoid Krav maga and muay thai as most of those are mcdojos
>>
>>16779105

I've never seen a reputable Krav Maga dojo. Ever.

>>16779115

No, it won't.
>>
Judo can actually help you defend yourself
>>
>>16779135
http://www.kravmaga.com/programs/certifications/
>>
Is boxing or kick boxing still a respectable form of a fighting discipline?
>>
>>16779146

None even close to my area which is my point: they're far and few between in the continental US.

>>16779159

If you want to kick someone's ass in six months learn boxing. If you want to really kick someone's ass in two years learn a martial art.
>>
>>16779173
Well I don't really want to go out of my way to, but in a defensive situation what would be better?
>>
>>16779062
>>16779062
>Ok
Judo Wrestling Boxe Muay Thai BJJ Sambo kickboxe Some style of Karate
>Shit
Fag maga Kung fag akido and all the other bullshit
>>
>>16779173
Boxing is a martial art, you dullard

>>16779184
The best defense is to not be there. The next best is being able to get out of there fast. Take up parkour and work on your 200m dash
>>
>>16779193
>Boxing is a martial art

with so much limitations its bassically a sport
>>
Anyone has experience with Sanda (Chinese Boxing)?
>>
>>16779193
Isn't parkour a form of martial art itself? What would be really ideal is just to be able to strike a person and make them think "wow, that hurts"
>>
>>16779196
A boxer will trounce any pajama-wearing fighter of equal time in training, save for judo players, bjj guys, and Oyama-derrived karatekas. Not coincidentally, those styles are also sports.

Take your muh 2d3adly back to your strip mall dojo.
>>
>>16779184

Depends entirely on the situation.

>>16779193

It is, but not what people refer to as a martial art in the colloquial sense.

>>16779196

Nah. A green boxer will trounce a green MAist. It's only after a few years of experience that a martial artist will be able to outdo a well trained boxer in a straight fight due to utilizing weapons (kicks, throws, holds, sweeps etc) that a boxer doesn't train with.
>>
>>16779218
>no kicking
>no grappling
>blocks ase almost useless without gloves on

sure thing m8

fyi open palm and elbow strikes are more effective than fists
>>
>>16779207
I consider parkour a martial art. Stupid people do not, though.
>>
>>16779231
You are the kind of person who thinks the yip man movies are documentaries.
>>
>>16779231

Not who you're disagreeing with, but boxing blocks still work without gloves.

Open palm and elbows are very effective, but palms require a lot of training and elbows require a lot of proximity. Wing chun taught me to cut hard with elbows, but I have to get past a boxer's fist to do that. Without excellent timing I'm likely to get my shit rocked coming in to execute an elbow combination.

Now what would I do to get past a boxer's reach to use elbows? I'd throw a TKD/Karate style kick to get me in close so that I could execute wing-chun style trapping and elbow strikes, which is something that boxing has no real answer for.
>>
>>16779231
What is this weeaboo bullshit? Have you actually compared them? I mean, palm strikes may feel cool or some shit but they're hardly as effective as a decent punch if you know what you're doing.

That's one of the reasons that karate isn't that great for self-defense: it's got all this shit in it that is totally useless and cannot be practically used.
>>
>>16779246

>That's one of the reasons that karate isn't that great for self-defense: it's got all this shit in it that is totally useless and cannot be practically used.

Nope, that's not true either. Looks like I'm calling everyone out today.

Karate only emphasizes palm strikes to the head and face as an alternative to striking an opponent's face and head with fists, which results in fucking up your hands. I wouldn't aim to knock the wind out of somebody with my palm because that would be utterly silly.

Palm strikes are used to hit hard surfaces that would hurt fists.
>>
>>16779259
>"Looks like I'm calling everyone out today."
I do prefer for people to correct me when I say retarded things.
>>
>>16779232
I will jump over people and call it a sport
>>
>>16779225
A situation where they get up in your face edging you into a fight?
>>
>>16779246
open palm strike from below to your chin is the easiest way to KO someone. Even people that havent trained anything can do that.

Try doing that with your fist.
>>
>>16779263

It's a good thing to prefer.

>>16779266

When you let someone develop striking distance without being prepared to fight you've already screwed up. My wing-chun instructor was an ex-cop, and his explanation to me was that when someone moves into striking distance and acts belligerently you may legally throw the first punch so long as you are able to articulate why you did so to the police. Saying that he behaved belligerently and developed attacking distance is enough to be good to hit someone legally.

Anyone getting up in your face is a dumbass trying to intimidate you. Virtually any trained fighter is going to rock somebody like that, whether it's with a quick hip-throw, a solid combination, or a stop side-kick.
>>
I cannot fathom why there are people this ignorant about fighting after 1993. Just go on youtube and type in whatever style vs whatever other style. You guys who keep espousing krotty and kungfu are in for a rude awakening.
>>
A gun.
>>
>>16779284

and I cannot fathom whare are there people that tell other people to learn about martial arts from youtube.

Its like below retard tier stupid
>>
>>16779284

>fighting is like paper scissors rock, but there's an ultimate element like pokemons!
>fighting is definitely not a contest of competing strategies, skill sets, physical conditioning, and luck
>>
>>16779297
>You are stupid to watch video evidence
>You should listen to an anonymous asshole on the internet instead

Yeah, good job, dude. Is this an attempt at trolling or are you this dense in real life, too?
>>
>>16779314

>professional athetes correlate to average joe

yeah its like you are retarded m8 and still not acknowledging it.

I would reccomend trying out several schools before settling for one.
>>
OP, Aikido all the way.

It's not only an exercise for the body, but also mind and soul. Aikido is also known as "moving meditation". This is no path of fight. But of harmony and love.
It is the newest and fastest growing martial art there is.
I personally recommend you to go looking for any dojo belonging to the Ki Society (also known as the shinshintoitsu school, the lineage of the master's favorite pupil) but most aikidokas belong to the Aikikai (the lineage of the master's son).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVDV_4xDh4o
>>
>>16779097
Good advice here.
>>
>>16779062
OP,

the best martial art is one that you can train a lot and you actually feel like doing it.

if you havent found one you like just try some more. also think on your reasons for training.
>>
>>16779338
no need to bring professional athletes into this. There are plenty of amateur fights as well as your beloved average joes getting into scraps in various locales.

But I get that you don't want to because the image you've attempted to cultivate for yourself is so fragile and revolves around you knowing eclectic secret fighting art.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.