[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well /adv/, I am in a tight spot here and obviously always have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1433709034375.jpg (127KB, 640x740px) Image search: [Google]
1433709034375.jpg
127KB, 640x740px
Well /adv/, I am in a tight spot here and obviously always have been a retard when it came down to life choices. So I need you to help me evaluate how shit my life is and what is the best way to proceed.

I fell for the STEM meme in university and fuck up my major hard. I do think that I could manage the work, but I have a severe amount of distractions. My life outside of uni is absolute trash and I seriously doubt that I can handle it without ending up in some psychological institution. I still did not move out at 21 and my parents constantly ride my ass about every single thing. I am broke as fuck, can not hold down jobs because my major fucks me hard and have a collection of psychological and now also physical issues. No real friends to speak of, just a bunch of people who do not mean anything to me I get occassionaly drunk with. Obviously no gf. It feels like I am unable to handle the pressure much longer and before shit really goes south I want to change things. The seemingly most valid choice would be to get an apprenticeship and get away from this shitty place I am at right now, but I really do not know whether it will not leave me in an even worse situation.
Did some anon around here struggle with something like that aswell? What should I do?
>>
Can someone explain the STEM meme to me? What exactly is the pit fall of STEM?
>>
>>16776519

Well, I guess I can do it aswell.

To be successful on the STEM path you need to be really, really good. That basically means you have to be autistic as fuck and live and breathe math, otherwise that shit is going to eat you alive and you are going to scrape by with shitty marks at best. And when you are finished, if you are finished that is, you are going to get rejected at every single place you send your application to, because no one needs a half baked scientist who only managed to get through by doing the minimum requirements.
Additionally the STEM market is oversaturated as fuck and even the ones who are actually good in their major need to sweat a lot to get a job which is in their field.
And at last, you always need experience to get a job and getting experience is pretty much impossible when no one employs you because of your lack of experience.

STEM is just too much of a gamble and will most probably leave you with nothing at best and with even less than nothing at worst.
>>
First of all, depending on what your GPA is, see if you can internally transfer your major within the same department to a less strenuous course. Most universities have an unwritten rule that no matter what degree you were accepted into, if you gain the prerequisites and credit points for something, you will graduate with whatever degree you earned it for. Speak to Dean of Students, speak to your head of department, see what you can salvage. THEN see if you can get your apprenticeship.
>>
>>16776519
started as some unifags/gradfags on different boards that posted shit like this
>muh phd in theoretical math
>muh $300K starting salary
>muh open job market
despite the fact that they were barely scraping buy in a bio major or engineering course. in reality, they had the same shitty job outlook as non-STEM majors because the job market was/is shitty, and their starting salaries were average at best
>>
>>16776566
You really just need to be decent at math to be a decent engineer; I wouldn't call differential equations and matrix algebra really hard. As for the science path, even less math is needed and if you can't do calc 1/2 then you are literally retarded. Though you are right in that experience is better for learning/getting a job than grades.
>>
What job has good prospects then?
>>
>>16776636

>>16776662
Again

I'm going to graduate this May with a BS in Bioengineering and a minor in CS and I already have a cushy job lined up at 65k/yr, with lots of room for promotion. I could also get into most any grad school for my masters and probably get another job starting at the 80-90k range once I graduate. There is a lot of potential for those who are interested in the material and willing to do the work, but if you just want easy money then STEM is not for you (and really only engineering has the high earning potential right out the gate)
>>
>>16776673
Do you want to be comfortable, or rich?
>>
>>16776683
Have a stable job. Comfort is not a priority now.
>>
>>16776662

Math is not really hard.
Electronics and mechanics grinds my ass into dust though, the exams are ridiculously intolerant towards errors, it suffices to miss one minus and you wont get a single point in a task. Maybe my university is just shit.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.