[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hearing voices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: stop it.jpg (99KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
stop it.jpg
99KB, 700x700px
How can you tell if you're hearing voices?

I really hate to admit this, and even writing it makes me paranoid someone might try to find out where I live and call the cops/hospital on me. Over the past few months I've had this ongoing problem with feeling like there's "another Me" in the back of my mind, constantly insulting me, making me feel awful, calling me a coward. I mean, is it just my consciousness being critical of me, or am I actually hallucinating?

I remember I once saw a therapist, and she tried to get me to talk aloud about my own feelings because she said I didn't seem able to talk about them with her. In the middle of me doing it she grabbed me by the shoulder and told me that I needed to stop calling myself "You" and call myself "I" instead. I wasn't even aware I was doing it, she seemed very worried about me.

The other Me always calls me names, makes fun of me for my shortcomings. Sometimes I've even caught myself muttering what he's saying under my breathe when I'm walking outside alone or something. It really bothers me. I try to keep to myself, pretend he's not there, but I can always sense him. He even tells me to do dangerous things, at first it was simple things like stealing, but lately he keeps telling me to do things like hurt people and animals, break into people's houses, murder and rape even. I don't want people to think I'm a killer, I've never killed or raped anyone. But I can't deny the two are always in my mind because of him.

I'm 24 years old, live on my own for about 4 years now, been working and studying and stuff since I was 15. I know I shouldn't feel like a bad person, friends and family members tell me I'm nice too, I've had relationships with women from time to time. But all the time, I feel like people are laughing at me. That everyone hates me. Even when my parents, friends or family talk to me, I feel very alone.

What the hell is wrong with me and how do I get help without seeming insane??
>>
>>16773483
Are you on meds? Anything at all?
>>
>>16773499
no
>>
Another problem I've had sometimes is just random outbreaks of crying. It's really fucking embarrassing, I'm a grown man but all of a sudden my head gets full of all of these fucked up thoughts and I just start tearing up. It's even happened in public and I run into a bathroom or something to try to hide it.
>>
schizoaffective?
>>
Anon you're sick, this is not a bad thing or something to be ashamed of. Even if you get locked away seek help, I know a few people who had to spend some time in a mental hospital and they are all ok now.

Get professional help before you hurt yourself or someone else. At least you're aware something is wrong.
>>
File: 20150321_212249.jpg (557KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20150321_212249.jpg
557KB, 1920x1080px
>>16773483
Listen to me OP
I've witnessed what you're describing. Last winter I was in s hospital ward for 2weeks getting my brain tested for epilepsy.
There was this old man in the ward who'd talk about "him" inside him and would do the same thing, talk about you, and arguing with himself.
They sent him to psych, and they took him off his anti epileptic drugs and he snapped out of it. Apparently it was a 1 in 100k side effect on his script. If you're on anything it could do that if not maybe you need psychiatric help. Mental health is important. If your kidney wasn't working right you'd go to the hospital, you should get help if you don't think your brain is working. Therapies can help you maybe scripts if necessary. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Pic is me
>>
>>16773510
I had no idea what this word meant until I looked it up. It honestly sounds like it matches up with me a lot, although I know I can't diagnose myself. I have really hard mood swings for no reason too.

>>16773516
>>16773518
Am I really sick though? I mean, I've managed to hold down a job and go to college up until now, although it's been with some difficulty I guess. I don't get much support from my family. I just keep trying to ignore the other me, everybody criticizes themselves or has strange thoughts, don't they?

Everyone has thought of killing someone or doing something bad before, even if they don't act on it, right? I wonder sometimes if it's just normal ideation or if I'm overreacting to how I feel.

Scared of going to the hospital cause it would mean time off of college and work, which are both very important to me.
>>
You need to be professionally diagnosed by a psychiatrist, not a therapist.

You have an issue, but it doesn't make you a bad person. You know what the problem is, now take the next step and get help.

The only way for you to help yourself is to get a professional to lead the way.
>>
btw every schizophrenic person having completely no insight is a big myth
it varies for each person

it doesn't make you a bad person, op
you aren't defined by your thoughts or impulses. thinking about things like that helps you understand them better.

your head is like a sandbox
>>
>>16773539
part of why i'm scared of going is just the fact that I don't want them to lock me up or force me to stay in the hospital.

my brother has schizophrenia and I've seen how they medicate him hard and he's like a shell of the guy he used to be. our whole family talks about how he changed immensely
>>
>>16773550
hosptalization has potential to be traumatic
>>
>>16773550
If you don't hurt anybody and you're not a mortal danger to yourself, they won't lock you up.

Do you live alone?
If you do, then stay with someone for a bit, just while you're being diagnosed and beginning to be treated.
>>
>>16773518
This. Your problem may be coming from something small, even if it's not a side effect of some drug. It could be some small factor in your everyday life that is causing this mental state. You're fully aware of this happening which means you're not going insane, but you've got to clear up your thoughts. Ask for professional help, there are people out to help you. They are dealing with people of more serious mental problems, and they will help you the way internet, friends, and family can not.
>>
I'm just very tired of feeling like a loser or a coward. I probably spend too much time on computers and movies, not enough time with people, even though I've had chances for friendship all the time I just don't spend time with people. I am very lonely, tired, I don't get enough sleep.

I feel like this voice, this feeling or whatever it is, it keeps calling me a coward. Telling me I'm not like other people, something's different about us, whether I want to admit it or not. I'm really scared of talking about the things I hear from him because people WILL think I'm dangerous. I get these very bad thoughts, but they make me feel excited and scared at the same time.

>>16773559
this is why i don't wanna go

>>16773561
My landlady is upstairs but I'm pretty nervous about being around others for extended periods of time. This is part of why most of my relationships with girls never last.

I should probably state I'm just really concerned that I'm being paranoid for no reason and shouldn't risk doing all of this stuff without knowing for sure.

I talked to a doctor recently and she was worried about how often I was drinking and using marijuana/smoking. i was there for a physical exam, but she kept asking me about my mental health and seemed concerned about me.
>>
>>16773483
>How can you tell if you're hearing voices?
You hear them. No, really; that's how you tell.

When you think in words, or about people saying things, or about things you've heard, that's like a memory. You can reconstruct (or outright) fabricate the impression of the sounds in your head, but it doesn't feel like you're hearing it. Even intrusive thoughts work this way, and although intrusive thoughts CAN be a problem, it's not the same problem.

When you "hear voices" in the paychological sense, that's a hallucination. It goes through the sensory parts of the brain, so you ACTUALLY hear them, even though the source of the sound isn't real.
>>
>>16773617
I think maybe my problem is less hearing voices and maybe more like intrusive thoughts, just started reading about it. It's just weird cause the thoughts are so unlike me, it always feels like someone else putting them into my mind or telling me to do it. Like there's an awful side of me I want to ignore. I don't even trust the words that come out of my mouth, sometimes I'm not sure where they're coming from.

>People who experience intrusive obsessive thoughts are afraid that they might commit the acts they picture in their mind. They might imagine hurting someone or committing an act of sexual violation. Intrusive obsessive thoughts can be very explicit, and most people are embarrassed and frightened of them.

This is VERY fitting for how I feel
>>
You need psychiatric help.
>>
>>16773651
I really hate admitting this.

Every school counselor or doctor I talk to seems worried about me. I feel really upset about my life.
>>
File: Noble Voice Fuck You smt3.png (142KB, 293x341px) Image search: [Google]
Noble Voice Fuck You smt3.png
142KB, 293x341px
my daily life
>>
>>16773673
Just keep talking to therapists, mang. No need to be worried about your life at this point.

My advice is to give it time. Don't obsess. Maybe take anti-depressants for a while to suppress the thoughts. I had severe anxiety and intrusive thoughts for about two years. I took an AD for 3-4 months and I feel much better.

The best way I can put it is to liken my anxiety to a ceiling light dimmer switch in the locked basement of my mind. I couldn't open the door to turn the lights down because I can't consciously alter my subconscious.

At this point the metaphor falls apart so I just have to say that I took a pill that turned the dimmer switch down for me.

My anxiety is still very much here, but it's more manageable. My agoraphobia is very manageable and my intrusive thoughts are practically gone. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of ADs. I think that they're like crutches and that people use them for way too long (resulting in fucked up armpits).

Anyway, stay strong, Anon. My last piece of advice is to pick a creative outlet and channel your struggles/pain/happiness/etc into it. It's absurdly therapeutic and helps me far more than exercise (not that exercise can't help me).
>>
you are social-phobic, you have a case of paranoia, and these voices you hear are you, yes they are you, you can choose to ignore them, counter argue them and silence them, or obey them.

we have the same case, i thought i was crazy too, living alone does that, but you can overcome, just consider the voices nothing but offers, reject what you don't want and accept what you want, and in your brain if you hear a voice bothering you just say shut up in your head. and keep keeping to yourself, it's a good thing.
>>
>>16773730
i feel like maybe i need more girls in my life, i had sex for the first time in like a year the other month... girl dumped me after a while. i'm not a winner in that regard
>>
File: dafuq.jpg (51KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
dafuq.jpg
51KB, 500x411px
>>16773702
>fucked up armpits
>>
>>16773734
it doesn't matter, if you think about sex you'll crave it and assume it the solution to your problems, but it's not. the idea is to control your thought through discipline, or doing something to occupy yourself from thinking about it.
>>
I think the first step is to just relax and realize that you are human and we all have struggles that we need to learn how to cope with being physical, social, or mental. Next step, I would recommend being evaluated by a good psychiatrist. Yes, there are bad psychiatrists. If you have a thought disorder, it's not the end of the world. There are plenty of coping an life skills you can develop. I'm sorry but drugs and alcohol absolutely need to leave your life. Therapy can be effective if you are open to trusting someone to keep your best interests in mind. You need to work on reality testing and reducing stress along with creating a stable daily schedule. Your family or the people you live with need to minimize stress in the home too. The last three recommendations are the hardest part. Good luck to you.
>>
>>16773536
You're not sick by any means. Just to keep things clear, having an inner voice is a healthy thing. We're complicated things, we don't even know what we exactly are. Are we just a conciousness in a flesh body? We are not able to understand many stuff happening in our life, just like there is no exact answer to the question "What is the answer to life?". There are endless situations in your life when you've got to make a decision that easily alters your future. It's funny as shit though, how dumb we work when it's time to choose between a cheeseburger or a bbq burger. Inside we can argue with ourselves over the smallest things in life. Then the next day you're in the momentum of a car crash, and your interval persona takes over and makes a decision in a millisecundum: to steer left, in order to save the life of your friend sitting next to you. Humans led people into wars, people killed each other for being different. Hell god, there are people who fuck animals or put glass jars in their asses. We've all got weird thoughts, everyone has weird habits and does weird things. If your family has a record of schizophrenia or other mental illnesses, that doesn't mean right away you're crazy. It could be a combination of multiple factors like stress, the fear of having schizophrenia or fear that you can't express your true self, your true thoughts. Again, I'm not a fucking doctor, but noone on the internet is. All I'm saying that it's great you're aware of your mental health and if you feel that you need help, get help. Don't make up shitty excuses like work college, the most important thing is your health. If your health gets worse, you won't be able to work or go to college. Simple as that.

If hospital is not an option, then see a private doctor. They are working private, because they know that people with these kind of problems can talk about it in a calm environment.
>>
>>16773756
Yes there is, it's 42, dipshit.
>>
>>16773483
You are you
Everyone thinks about "dissapearing" someone
Even so most of us dont do it
You could be very stressed at the moment because of various things, and stress causes a lot of sicknesses
You control who you are
You should consult with a doctor
Psychological sicknesses are not of another planet ( they are normal , like any other sickness)
You wont be seen as a monster or anything other than a human
There are a lot of problems that need the help of someone experienced to solve, and you have one of those
>>
>>16773536
no, nobody hears voices
thoughts and voices are pretty different things

you have something related to schizophrenia
I wouldnt know, tho

go see a doctor, maybe all you need is some meds and you will be able to keep studying and working

you sound like you have a very sacrificed life anon
>>
>>16773730
that's not what paranoia is lmao
>>
>>16773483
op, the only good advice you are going to get from here is go see a doctor
>>
File: sad beep.gif (76KB, 474x200px) Image search: [Google]
sad beep.gif
76KB, 474x200px
>>16773858
>>16773829
>>16773800
>>16773756
>>16773742
>>16773746
i guess i'll go see a doctor. just feels really bad to admit something might be wrong with my brain
>>
>>16773483
That's odd how you think that way and sounds like you're paranoid as shit nigger
>>
>>16774266
more than anything i'm scared of what could happen if I let the "other Me" take over.
>>
>>16773746
sometimes i feel like i can't tell what's real. i feel scared a lot, like everyone's out to get me. i'm extremely untrusting
>>
>>16773483
Establish dominance and make him work for you. It worked for me.
>>
>>16774624
whatever u say, cheshire
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.