[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could I sue this company? I have a close family member who is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1405183272277.png (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1405183272277.png
27KB, 400x400px
Could I sue this company? I have a close family member who is a lawyer. She funded a specific type of event for me a few months ago (she invested, i organized) , without getting too specific this other company was putting together a nearly identical event, very to the date of mine. Theirs was first so Im not saying they copied me at all. But they told people on social media lies about my event to lure people to going to theirs instead. I've been getting bullied by them ever since and they talked a lot of shit. But I just want to know if I could sue them for this? I spent a lot on my event (not gonna say how much but it was well over 5k usd) and lost a bit of money afterwards (i made back about 80%) so I was thinking I could blame them for this. Might cause a lot of drama but they stress me out a lot and I just want it to be over.
>>
>>16762971
>very to the date of mine
I meant very close to the date of mine. Theirs was a few weeks before mine.
>>
You know that just because a close family member is a lawyer, doesn't mean you don't have to pay legal fees, right? Lawyers charge hundreds an hour, they're not going to suddenly say you don't have to pay them because they're a family member, and even if they give you a discount, it'll still be more than you can afford by the looks of it.

And if you know a lawyer, why not just ask them?
>>
If they spread false information knowing with malicious intent it's slander and/or libel. If they directly harassed you that's... harassment. Might not be worth your time though.
>>
>>16762979
I was trying not to get overly specific but it was one of my parents. My parents aren't going to charge me...I'm actually really young. (Not underage) The owner of the other company is twice my age
>>
>>16762993
Why can't you just ask your parent this question?
>>
>>16763012
I need to think about it first. We're busy people
>>
It depends entirely on the nature of the libel and your ability to directly prove it damaged your event. Libel is generally a somewhat difficult cause of action to succeed at, but it's possible.

>>16762979
>You know that just because a close family member is a lawyer, doesn't mean you don't have to pay legal fees, right?

Hey fuck you, I don't charge family members OR friends.
>>
>>16763025
You're too busy to ask them and get proper legal advice but you're not too busy to ask us? Sounds like an inefficient use of your time to me

>>16763030
>Hey fuck you, I don't charge family members OR friends.
Great, good for you, and good for your friends and family. The point was that OP shouldn't presume that they're going to have legal work done for free just because they're family. Defamation suits take a lot of time and money, and that's a significant amount of money they'd be losing.
>>
>>16763030
There were people posting about going to their event in response to them lying about mine. I'd just need to get those screencaps and ask around i guess.
Definitely my parents would not charge me
>>
>>16763039
Its much easier and faster to ask here than to ask my parent. They're in another region and i cant call them often right now.
>>
>>16763056
So email them. They can get back to you when they're not busy. It's a little less personal than a phone call, but if you're going to retain them to work on your case, then it's best to have everything in writing, electronic or otherwise, anyway.
>>
>>16762971
If and only if you can demonstrate that they published something false about you, knowing it was false, and that you can identify specific individuals who chose not to go to your event because of the lies, you might have a case.

But, since 80% return is actually pretty good for a first-time event - it takes a couple of years to start making money - you would have a hard time showing they affected your success.
>>
>>16762971
If your parents are fucking lawyers they can answer this question.

If they can't and their law experience is different, they can't help you so it doesn't matter that they are lawyers. So why are you here?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.