[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I read a book in the most efficient manner? I recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1446484522876.jpg (49KB, 580x365px) Image search: [Google]
1446484522876.jpg
49KB, 580x365px
How do I read a book in the most efficient manner? I recently bought some books with similar themes to The Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli because I'm currently majoring in finance, and understand that I'm currently in a field where manipulation and influence are both extremely important. That being said, should I be taking notes, highlighting things? Or is just reading attentively fine?
>>
...did you actually read The Prince?

It's not supposed to be a guidebook, lol.
>>
>>16761829
I know it's not supposed to be a guidebook, especially given the time leap. But it's a good foundation to read before taking on more modern books which draw from many principles that are presented in it.
>>
If you can't figure out how to comprehend a book then you're probably too dumb to excel in manipulating people, especially people who are probably smarter and more experienced than you
>>
>>16761826
Good idea is to start on page one. Then read left to right top to bottom.
>>
>>16761843
>>16761935
Nice memes. But there's nothing wrong for asking advice on efficient information retaining techniques. I hope you feel smarter though.
>>
The Prince is satire, idiot.
>>
Scribble in the margins with a pencil, or use the notes function of your ebook reader.
>>
File: 3085119691_d44e4d74be.jpg (48KB, 500x410px) Image search: [Google]
3085119691_d44e4d74be.jpg
48KB, 500x410px
>>16762086
>efficient information retaining techniques

lol pic related

Maybe if you actually read books you would know 'retaining techniques' already
>>
>>16762109
>Calling someone else a fedora
>When you're the one mocking someone trying to better themselves through learning
The truth is, I didn't really read books as a hobby, especially non-fiction ones until recently. That being said, I don't understand why most of the people posting in here are so hostile for no reason. This is some /v/ tier shitposting to be honest, but I appreciate those who actually contributed.

>>16762090
Thanks, for now I'm highlighting important parts but I'll probably move onto notes once I start reading longer books that are harder to reference from memory.
>>
File: youre a faggot.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
youre a faggot.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>16762148
>trying to better myself through learning
>by telling strangers about it on an image board instead of doing something

maybe you should rethink your 'information retaining techniques'
>>
>>16762148
Highlighting is only good for helping other people speed through reading. If you want it to stick for yourself, you should put it into your own words as much as possible. Drawing over what's already printed will do nothing because you'll forget that you even did it in 10 minutes. Yes you can go back and look for highlights later, but what has that gained you except setting you up to read the same damn thing twice? Waste of time. Write notes directly on the book.
>>
>>16762177
I've been reading the whole time while posting here, and only checking ever 15-20 mins or so. But, I'm wasting my time replying to a shitposter regurgitating stale memes.

>>16762178
This is a valid point, I've already begun to right notes on the margins instead. The only thing I'll probably highlight are sentences that are not only extremely rememberable, but also important.
>>
>>16761826
Reading isn't about efficiency. It's about enjoyment.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.